Ticking sound - Page 6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-19-2014, 02:59 PM   #176
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvsmc14 View Post
They drove it about 8-10 miles. And nope they didn't charge me anything. I hear you on that, if there was absolutely nothing wrong and I was imagining something then they might charge me. I have thought getting on it more might help too.
Baffling what they could've done then. The only thing that came to mind was they drove it hard and didn't want to tell you but I've put 80 miles on it driving it pretty hard and it still ticks like the video going up the driveway. It is less frequent at idle though. I suppose it'll just stop happening except a little with a few hundred miles and the mystery will continue.
5.0.Rly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 05:23 PM   #177
Registered Member
Regular

As of today, my engine is out, and taken apart. Dealer believes that the No. 1 bore is off, and it ticks when hot because of thermal expansion. Ford agrees. They have to confirm some dimensions tomorrow.
At this point they are expecting to do a new short block, and put my heads on it.
You guys think I can convince Ford to put a whole new engine in?

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 06:02 PM   #178
Registered Member
Regular

That's what I would try. How many miles on the motor? The last thing I would want them to do is take it apart. If it's not put back together perfectly then all these issues can happen then they would take it all apart again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Renuco612 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2014, 06:07 PM   #179
Registered Member
Regular

I agree completely. I'm at 7k.
I may call Ford myself if they try short block. It's worth a shot!

Old 08-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #180
Registered Member
Regular

After reading all the different issues people are having with their 5.0 motors, someone out there has got to know a lawyer or someone that can help everybody out. If about 50/50 of owners are having issues and are all the same, that sounds legitimate enough to get these motors fixed or replaced right away and not get a run around.
I'm pretty sure we all didn't want to spend thousands of dollars on a Pony that has ticks.

Old 08-19-2014, 06:27 PM   #181
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah... I don't want to get too theoretical, but if this diagnosis is accurate, it is likely a direct result of the properties of the aluminum block. If Ford is having these problems (assuming all ticks are the same) they have a BIG problem - either bad metallurgy or bad tooling. And I think bad tooling would show up when cold, and QC inspection. Ah!! I want an old iron block!! Lol!

Old 08-19-2014, 08:14 PM   #182
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
If it's simply the aluminum block expanding /contracting and nobody has experienced negative side effects besides the annoying noise.. Is it really something we can say is bad? Trust me I hate the noise too, but material properties and heat expansion are well understood and creaks don't mean bad.. Just like exhaust ticks due to heating and cooling..

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #183
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry - let explain what the tech believes is wrong. He thinks the cylinder is out of round, and the tick is mechanical contact, not heat expansion. I'm jumping to an unfair assumption that heat expansion on aluminum is harder to predict / control than steel or iron.
Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:03 PM   #184
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
I'm sorry - let explain what the tech believes is wrong. He thinks the cylinder is out of round, and the tick is mechanical contact, not heat expansion. I'm jumping to an unfair assumption that heat expansion on aluminum is harder to predict / control than steel or iron.
Sorry I wasn't more clear.

I apologize if that seemed like an attack. Just playing Devils advocate here . Theory and reality are never exact, but field testing should have revealed this had it been expansion /contraction considering most people's show up before 10k miles. I work in a similar field and we test around 100 engines in test cells and 50 or so test vehicles before introducing a new product. I imagine Ford does at least that. I'm suffering from the same obnoxious tick, so trust me I hope someone can figure out a solution!

2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 08-19-2014, 09:17 PM   #185
Registered Member
Regular

you're good man! I just wanted to clarify - noise is considered mechanical knocking (God help us). I read somewhere that Ford put some crazy billion $ ?? (Is that right?) into 5.0 development. So, I totally agree. That's why I wondered if it could be metallurgy problems. It's been years since a "materials" class, but with magnetic metals (ferrous, non-ferrous..) it's easier to get molecular alignment... I'm way over my head and too many years removed! Lol! But aluminum has some deficiencies without going to really high grade stuff. Likes to twist and grow kinda uneven compared to steel.
Or, maybe I have the only 1 with this particular problem, and there are lots of causes for the same sounding tick
Let's see how mine actually turns out. They missed the 1st diagnosis (lifters). Might be wrong this time too.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #186
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
you're good man! I just wanted to clarify - noise is considered mechanical knocking (God help us). I read somewhere that Ford put some crazy billion $ ?? (Is that right?) into 5.0 development. So, I totally agree. That's why I wondered if it could be metallurgy problems. It's been years since a "materials" class, but with magnetic metals (ferrous, non-ferrous..) it's easier to get molecular alignment... I'm way over my head and too many years removed! Lol! But aluminum has some deficiencies without going to really high grade stuff. Likes to twist and grow kinda uneven compared to steel.
Or, maybe I have the only 1 with this particular problem, and there are lots of causes for the same sounding tick
Let's see how mine actually turns out. They missed the 1st diagnosis (lifters). Might be wrong this time too.

Better that they're working on it than giving you the, "it's normal," runaround though. I'm glad that the former is the case. I drove my car a good 80 miles today and while the ticking at idle is less common than when I first changed my oil yesterday, while in stop and go traffic, as soon as it got to 1250-2000 rpm in first and second gear, it sounds exactly like in my video. Rapid fire ticking.
5.0.Rly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 01:51 PM   #187
Registered Member
Regular

Anybody read anything about Motorcraft XL-17 addidtive?

Old 08-20-2014, 02:00 PM   #188
Registered Member
Regular

They tried it in mine. The tech said they use it to help diagnose. It doesn't really fix anything. And made no difference.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM   #189
Registered Member
Regular

My car sounds fine right now. About to get the first oil change but hesitant. I only have 1400 miles. Not a daily driver and just street and highway driven. Should I just wait for 3000 or just get it changed now? I know I'm in the wrong forum but want to hear the opinion from the people in the forum.

Old 08-20-2014, 02:55 PM   #190
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think when matters. Depending on the source of the tick - not sure what oil matters. Most people want to change before 2,000 miles.
When I get mine back, I might do the zinc additive. Mine is daily driver, and I didn't want to run full synthetic. If you aren't all modded up, and want to protect warranty, Ford can't complain much about their oil changed at their dealership. They might say the tick is "normal" - if they do, tell them:
"Normal means high percentage of vehicles. Let's talk right and wrong. I don't care what percentage of cars do it. I want mine right. And that sound means something is wrong."

Old 08-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #191
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
In the videos that sounds like a knock, not a lifter; deff not normal.
sadler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #192

Region: Texas
Changed my oil for the first time on my 2014 Mustang Gt Premium. Now in my garage I hear the dreaded tick sound.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Flogtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:09 PM   #193
Registered Member
Regular

How many miles are you at? What kind of oil did you use? Did the tick show up right when you started it?

I'm about ready for my first oil change. I'm going to bring it to the dealership so that just in case it happens, I can tell them that it wasn't there before the oil change. Why is it there now?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:19 PM   #194
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogtwo View Post
Changed my oil for the first time on my 2014 Mustang Gt Premium. Now in my garage I hear the dreaded tick sound.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
How many miles are you at? What kind of oil did you use? Did the tick show up right when you started it?

I'm about ready for my first oil change. I'm going to bring it to the dealership so that just in case it happens, I can tell them that it wasn't there before the oil change. Why is it there now?

Old 08-21-2014, 06:49 PM   #195

I am at just over 3,000 miles and have owned the vehicle just over 8 months. Got the oil change done at the dealership. They put in MotorCraft 5W-20 synthetic blend.
Flogtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #196
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flogtwo View Post
I am at just over 3,000 miles and have owned the vehicle just over 8 months. Got the oil change done at the dealership. They put in MotorCraft 5W-20 synthetic blend.
Bring it back. The more 5.0s that get brought back the better. Hopefully Ford is keeping record of how many of these motors are having the issue and does something about it soon.

Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 AM   #197
Registered Member
Regular

Mines in the shop now. Dropped it off this morning. Service manager was pretty adament this wasn't "normal and truly seemed to be on my side. We will see what happens. It's in Fords hands but I feel like this guy will go to bat for me. Seemed like a solid guy.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:32 PM   #198

Region: North Carolina
I have ticking now... 2nd oil change last weekend

So hi guys/gals,
New member but I just got the ticking a couple days ago...2nd oil change. Right side of engine, none rhythmic tc tic...tic.....tic tic, just as you all have described. I have a 2013 mustang gt with just 8k on it....wth I am very disappointed. This is my 3rd mustang and never had this...
Bossman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:35 PM   #199

Note* both oil changes done at dealer. I notice it beside the car and with the hood open. seems to only happen when the car has been driven. Completely stock aside from axlebacks...
Old 08-26-2014, 07:00 PM   #200
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like you've got a ticker. My '13 had 15k miles when totaled and never ticked. This '14 has 5200 in the same time period oil change only from the factory is a serious ticket. Haven't heard back other than they're still diagnosing it.
Old 08-26-2014, 07:40 PM   #201
Registered Member
Regular

The less Ford dealers touch my car, the better. Once they resolve it, I'll take my car in to them

Old 08-26-2014, 08:28 PM   #202

Yea...im disappointed now. Idk what to do I've read so much. I just have the tic not the rattling or metal noise. I'm thinking of taking it into fords warranty dept this weekend...im familiar with this dealer as I only use this one..back of my head im afraid ill get the oh "its normal" run around.
Old 08-28-2014, 11:52 AM   #203

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman25 View Post
Yea...im disappointed now. Idk what to do I've read so much. I just have the tic not the rattling or metal noise. I'm thinking of taking it into fords warranty dept this weekend...im familiar with this dealer as I only use this one..back of my head im afraid ill get the oh "its normal" run around.
Haha! Welcome to the 5.0 Tick Club! If you are like me, and you use the car as a daily driver and you dont want to spend days at the dealer trying to find a solution, you will eventually just start finding ways to get around it.

Since the ticking happens below 2k RPM, I usually start it at lunch or on the way home and i just leave it in the low gears and drive it like a bat out of hell. Sure the car isn't warm yet.... but as long as it doesn't tick, I don't care.

Never thought I'd wail on a car when the engine was cold but this car has made itself an exception. Problem solved! Just make sure you get rid of it before it's too late.
Peachdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:19 PM   #204
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I noticed mine tick after couple thousand miles, now its 13k. I took it in last month but like most owners was told its normal. I guess i will drive it till the engine falls out.
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:44 PM   #205
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
So far my tick is still gone. Which makes the fact that they told me they did nothing a complete lie. I had this tick for many miles and all of a sudden when I leave the car at the dealer for a day and half it comes back with no tick and the engine sounding way different.

Lvsmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #206
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i had the tick after changing the oil at 3000 miles, just stopped after a few days, im at 6600 with no ticking. used mobil 1 synthetic, idr the grade now, it was the one recommended on the cap.
im hoping it wont return after a change the oil again
Old 08-28-2014, 08:30 PM   #207

Yea, so called Ford today just to get it known that I had an issue. The mech. acknowledged that it shouldn't tick randomly like that as I told him my wife's 14" doesn't do it but mine does. Guess ill be taking it in over next week sometime since their already booked over the holiday weekend..ugh. I've seen so many simple things like people changing to Pennzoil fully-synthetic or Mobil one and it going away and sometimes going with something a little thicker like 5W-30. I don't know what to think besides to wait for now....
Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 PM   #208
Registered Member
Regular

I tried 5w-30. It was worse.
My car is almost back together. They found no. 1 cylinder was out of round by .003 I think. Replaced block, crank, no. 1 piston, all bearings, all rings. Should be back together next week.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:46 PM   #209

Let us know how it works out...

Bothers me I cant even pin-point what mine is doing. running fine as usual tho, strong. Hoping like on the 11-12 TSB it could be the A/C pulley but for the 13"s there are no TSB's related, but that doesn't mean anything.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #210
Registered Member
Regular

I did everything to avoid tearing it down. Waiting to see if they fixed it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT