Ticking sound - Page 7 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #211

Region: North Carolina
Yea, I will not have my motor torn apart ..uh uh. They can replace it or the car with a 2014..not having that...read to many stories...
Bossman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #212
Registered Member
Regular

Then you probably won't have anything done on warranty
I wore out my welcome asking for a factory sealed unit. Not fun! I will keep you posted though.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 08:01 PM   #213

Yea..maybe so. I would rather them just apply the 11-12 5.0 Tick TSB to it first before randomly guess what it is and replace random parts, as I think its exactly what mine is doing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-29-2014, 10:14 PM   #214
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Just found out about Seafoam. My car just started having a tick after some gas from a gas station that's not my usual station. At least I hope that's what it is...

Was reading online and YouTubing seafoam and apparently it gets rid of ticks and stuff as well as bad gas (water, particles, bad octane).

Seems real easy to use. I'm gonna try it tomorrow and report. But I don't think I have the same tick as most of you and I won't be pouring it into my oil or suck it thru the vacuum line.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:43 AM   #215

Yea let us know, I actually thought of it to as it works well with older cars...I also got gas from a station I normally don't use, at first thought it was bad gas or something. Yea don't put it in oil or crank case...just gas id say since our cars aren't very old...im interested...I already have a can at home.
Old 08-30-2014, 10:50 AM   #216

By the way Dallasstang, what "Tick" do you have? Mine is from the driver side when warmed and its random not rhythmic at all. isn't constant but its still there, I guess its the igniter tick I have.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #217
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossman25 View Post
By the way Dallasstang, what "Tick" do you have? Mine is from the driver side when warmed and its random not rhythmic at all. isn't constant but its still there, I guess its the igniter tick I have.
Its not igniter tick, it would of been constant. I have the same tick, its randomn. But i noticed more tick when ac is on.
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 03:52 PM   #218

oh ok, mine does it with or without it on..thinking of pouring half a can of seafoam in the tank the next fill up
Old 08-30-2014, 04:28 PM   #219
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
oh ok, mine does it with or without it on..thinking of pouring half a can of seafoam in the tank the next fill up
u sure? check again, let the car warm up and have ac on.It will tick more frequently but still randomn. I dont know about the sea foam thing.
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 05:52 PM   #220
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright. Its sorta like the sound of the fan or ac kicking on but even when both aren't turning on. I thought maybe it was slight knocking. It happens once a minute or so and when it ticks sometimes it'll tick twice in succession.

So I used Seafoam in the gas tank. At first 1/3 a bottle on a full tank of gas. It didnt seem to help so I poured the equivalent of half a bottle. Immediately nothing was different. I figured I need to drive it some so after 20-25 miles the ticking has become less frequent and not as loud.

I'll drive it more and give further reports. But it seems the engine is smoother now. Before the idle went a bit bobbing up and down but now its a bit smoother. Actually lot smoother.

Old 08-30-2014, 05:54 PM   #221
Registered Member
Regular

Ticking sound

Quote:
Oh and the tick seems to come from the passenger side toward the mid/bottom basically the combustion chamber.

If after a half tank it doesn't improve I'll pour the remainder of the seafoam into the tank.

If after a full tank it doesn't improve I'll try to run the tank down to fumes, refuel with my normal station's gas and datalog.

Didn't wanna datalog at the moment because that'll require WOT. But I'll do it if it don't get better.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:53 PM   #222

Yea I filled my tank up this evening and gonna put some in tomorrow before I drive. it'll treat the whole tank but ill maybe try a half can of it first. drove her rough to the gas station after I got warmed up, tick didn't seem to be there much. we'll see what the foam does tomorrow after a drive. yea I have no noise at all coming from left side of engine. also no gear or transmission noise, my car is like butter just gotta get that little tick
Old 08-31-2014, 12:35 PM   #223
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Well. 734 miles - I have the tick.
All stock.
Not even 1st oil change.

20145pointOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:41 PM   #224

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
Its not igniter tick, it would of been constant. I have the same tick, its randomn. But i noticed more tick when ac is on.
Is this the Ignitor Tick? I thought the Ignitor tick was called the Ignitor Tick because it sounds like someone in the engine trying to light up the BBQ?

Also, this only happens during the first 5-10 minutes of start-up on my car after it has been driven that day. Once the oil is fully warm it goes away, with a tick or two every minute. Does not happen fully cold.
Peachdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 12:59 PM   #225
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20145pointOH View Post
Well. 734 miles - I have the tick.
All stock.
Not even 1st oil change.

That's ridiculous.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:52 PM   #226

That's crazy with less than 1k miles...is it constant?
Old 08-31-2014, 03:14 PM   #227
Registered Member
Regular

Ticking sound

Non rhythmic loud ting while running. Louder then compressor kicking off and on which I can tell the difference.

Also does it with AC off. Sounds like exhaust pipe contracting but it's front of engine compartment. Not consistent with RPMs

Old 08-31-2014, 03:33 PM   #228
Registered Member
Regular

Update: after 50 miles on Seafoam the ticking has become significantly less. Over like 3-5 minutes I heard only two ticks and they were very soft.

The tick does sound like the igniter tick. But I think everything is fine now.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:00 AM   #229
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachdown View Post
Is this the Ignitor Tick? I thought the Ignitor tick was called the Ignitor Tick because it sounds like someone in the engine trying to light up the BBQ?

Also, this only happens during the first 5-10 minutes of start-up on my car after it has been driven that day. Once the oil is fully warm it goes away, with a tick or two every minute. Does not happen fully cold.
The tick I have happens maybe once a minute but not quite as loud either. I tried recording it but the tick isn't very noticeable in the video.

I tried to google what an igniter tick is but no useful explanation of cause or solution. What is an igniter tick? Is it called igniter tick cuz it sounds like the igniter of a BBQ grill?

So some say an oil change caused it. Some say its been there since like day one. Have there been any catastrophic failure because of it? Seems a lot of people are running tunes and mods without much issue... I might have had this tick for a lot longer than a few days since the bad gas. The only reason I noticed the tick was because the idle was a bit off than normal so I idled the car a bit after getting the gas just to see if it was a temp hiccup or cuz of the gas. Then I noticed it tick.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:07 AM   #230

That's awesome Dallas Stang! I feel we have the same noise so I am gonna go ahead and put half in and run a couple days w a full tank. Was waiting to see if you had any luck. how many miles do you have? and are you running 5W-20 Semi?
Old 09-01-2014, 11:27 AM   #231
Registered Member
Regular

Ticking sound

Quote:
That's awesome Dallas Stang! I feel we have the same noise so I am gonna go ahead and put half in and run a couple days w a full tank. Was waiting to see if you had any luck. how many miles do you have? and are you running 5W-20 Semi?
Yeah been running Motorcraft 5-20 semi by the dealer. The dealer I goto charges $45 for the change.

Although I think I'm gonna do the crank and vacuum treatment in about 4000 miles. I just got my oil changed about a 1000 miles ago.

You might want to do the whole treatment. I have 39k miles now so I guess it might help more if I did the whole treatment. But I think I'm suppose to change out the oil soon after doing the oil treatment. So I'll wait a bit.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:33 AM   #232
Registered Member
Regular

Good luck on your tick bossman. I don't think its a huge issue but man I hate weird noises from engines especially if its random as hell and like a good percent of owners have it but not all.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #233

Okay cool, same as I have been doing the past 2 changes.

Oh ok, I only have 8,100 on mine. Yea I may do mine like that around 12k, and yes you're supposed to run it thru if you're going to change the oil in a day or so.

As for now ill prob pour it in and see what happens.
Old 09-01-2014, 11:39 AM   #234

Thanks DallasStang you as well,

Yea see that exactly how mine is, just random and I cant stand it even tho its faint but it hasn't been there, seems it does go away with more driving as some ppl have noted already. Im sure it may not be from what ive read compared to other noises ive heard these car make.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:08 PM   #235
Registered Member
Regular

New to this awesome forum but not to Mustangs.
Ive had a 99 GT,04GT, and a 06GT with multiple mods.
Just picked up my 2014 GT July 5th this summer.
Love it and the 5.0 motor. Only mod so far is BMR strut tower brace.
Didnt know about the ticking issue when I bought it.
At 2,800 miles I have no ticking what so ever and no oil usage either.
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 02:55 PM   #236
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie View Post
Yeah unfortunately for some people the tick can be a late onset issue. I didn't notice any ticking until just recently. And I don't think I would have really noticed it had it not been for the $30 of gas from a gas station that's not my usual station. It caused a lumpy idle so I let it idle for a bit and then I heard the tick.

I've checked for the tick every so often. And up to about 24k or so I stopped checking. That was last November and now I have a tick. Lol

Old 09-02-2014, 01:44 PM   #237

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie View Post
Tick is worst:
1) About 10-500 miles after an oil change. Check after 1st/2nd oil changes.
2) My case, Drive the car til the oil is warm (to work).
3) Start the car 2-4 hours later (Lunch?/Break?).
4) After the CPU lowers the idle to the 700 range, you will here a tick like my video above.
5) If no ticks after 2nd oil change. YAY!!!! You got what you payed for!!!

The rest of us are not so lucky :/.
Probably my last 5.0 until I hear of a definite fix.
Peachdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:40 PM   #238
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Anyone save their oil from the first oil change, get the tick, and then try putting original oil back.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:44 PM   #239
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachdown View Post
Tick is worst:
1) About 10-500 miles after an oil change. Check after 1st/2nd oil changes.
2) My case, Drive the car til the oil is warm (to work).
3) Start the car 2-4 hours later (Lunch?/Break?).
4) After the CPU lowers the idle to the 700 range, you will here a tick like my video above.
5) If no ticks after 2nd oil change. YAY!!!! You got what you payed for!!!

The rest of us are not so lucky :/.
Probably my last 5.0 until I hear of a definite fix.
Now Im worried about getting my first oil change.
Never known an oil change to be a bad thing.
The Manufacture date of my car was 6/14, so hey maybe they fixed it by then and arnt saying nothing about it, I hope
blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #240
Registered Member
Regular

Update:
It appears mine is fixed! My random, ignitor-like tick was diagnosed as piston slap on No. 1 cylinder. They found the bore to be egg-shaped, 3x's tolerance.
They replaced block, crank, piston, rod, all bearings, all rings. Got it back today, and it's perfectly quiet.
I will update after the next oil change.
It is possible that Ford's tooling has a problem, and a lot of people have this. Try unplugging the injector on No. 1 and see if it stops.
Or, mine could be the only 1...

Old 09-02-2014, 08:51 PM   #241
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
Update:
It appears mine is fixed! My random, ignitor-like tick was diagnosed as piston slap on No. 1 cylinder. They found the bore to be egg-shaped, 3x's tolerance.
They replaced block, crank, piston, rod, all bearings, all rings. Got it back today, and it's perfectly quiet.
It is possible that Ford's tooling has a problem, and a lot of people have this. Try unplugging the injector on No. 1 and see if it stops.

Wow. That is excellent fortune. Congratulations. You did have a really low mileage tick, to me that increases the likelihood of defect.
5.0.Rly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #242
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like you got a whole new motor basically.

Not to be a Debbie downer but everyone getting the tick doesn't start out with the tick at new. Logically this would mean the tick would come eventually if you were to get it. If that makes sense.

With that said. I wish you the best not to get it back.

Old 09-02-2014, 11:01 PM   #243
Registered Member
Regular

I pushed for a new engine, but just parts. It kinda surprised me they didn't drop a factory assembled short block in it. I have the same pistons in 2-8. I believe wrist pins too.
Mine started about 2200 miles, or within a couple days after the 1st oil change. Not sure how it didn't tick new.

Old 09-03-2014, 10:15 AM   #244

Jd864, I pm'd ya bud, have a few questions. Very informative thread!!!
Pullingees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #245
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
Update:

Not the answer I was hoping for. Happy to see you got fixed, but not very happy it took that to fix it. My Mazda6, 4 banger ticks all the time, but it is in the cat, not the motor. Was hoping it was something like that.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT