Ticking sound - Page 8 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #246
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
Update:
It appears mine is fixed! My random, ignitor-like tick was diagnosed as piston slap on No. 1 cylinder. They found the bore to be egg-shaped, 3x's tolerance.
They replaced block, crank, piston, rod, all bearings, all rings. Got it back today, and it's perfectly quiet.
I will update after the next oil change.
It is possible that Ford's tooling has a problem, and a lot of people have this. Try unplugging the injector on No. 1 and see if it stops.
Or, mine could be the only 1...

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Glad to hear yours got fixed, hopefully it won't come back. Maybe your the only one, or maybe that's the cause of a lot of people's ticks, we need to contact Ford and let them know about the defect and a recall should be issued for those who are affected by it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 07:13 PM   #247

Region: North Carolina
Ok so Update on my car.

Havent got it into Ford yet

but

I was already noticing that my tick was getting less and less noticeable but still there kinda frequently just not as prominent.

I have 8,300 on car now, 2nd oil change was performed around 7900.

I treated my car with the seafoam as DallasStang did, I filled the car up w 93 octane and drove home and poured the entire bottle in, treats up to 24 g tank.

Drove maybe 80 miles last couple days and yes

TICK IS GONE!

I have let it idle and idle and does nothing. although it did a little soft tick one time while the cooling fan came on after a drive while idling but that's it. Its pretty much gone, One little time w idling like 10 minutes it good for me!
Bossman25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 07:23 PM   #248
Registered Member
Regular

That's Great!! I hope it stays gone! A lot of guys do an annual purge with seafoam to clear carbon. Now I wonder if I really needed a new engine!

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #249
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
That's Great!! I hope it stays gone! A lot of guys do an annual purge with seafoam to clear carbon. Now I wonder if I really needed a new engine!

I'm sure you did if there was piston slap.

Guess everyone with the tick needs to seafoam and see who's fixed and who is still tickin along.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:06 PM   #250
Registered Member
Regular

Just got my second oil change today at 7600 miles and the random tick started from the passenger side of the motor. This is horrible timing for me because I'm driving to New York on Saturday. Now I'm definitely worried about making the trip.
Old 09-03-2014, 08:35 PM   #251
Registered Member
Regular

Just went outside after letting it sit for 2 hours and after about 3 minutes running it started again. You can definitely hear it better on the underside of the car. I called my Dad and he could hear it on speaker phone. I tried both my regular key and my track key and it made no difference
Old 09-03-2014, 08:36 PM   #252
Registered Member
Regular

Try seafoam and see if it does anything.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 09-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #253
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt5.0nc View Post
Just got my second oil change today at 7600 miles and the random tick started from the passenger side of the motor. This is horrible timing for me because I'm driving to New York on Saturday. Now I'm definitely worried about making the trip.

Don't worry about the trip. I drove mine 5k with a "bad engine" including a trip from SC to MI and back.
I agree, try the seafoam. It's good stuff. (Although, a new car shouldn't need carbon deposits cleaned every 8k)

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 09:08 PM   #254
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Try seafoam and see if it does anything.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Quote:
Don't worry about the trip. I drove mine 5k with a "bad engine" including a trip from SC to MI and back.
I agree, try the seafoam. It's good stuff. (Although, a new car shouldn't need carbon deposits cleaned every 8k)

I'm very familiar with Seafoam and I've actually been using it every 2500 miles. More of a preventive maintenance thing but it was last done at 5k.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:28 PM   #255
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Fixed my ticking noise... No more crappy trans or whining diff either

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1409797703663.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	117.3 KB
ID:	165135  
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 10:39 PM   #256
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
Fixed my ticking noise... No more crappy trans or whining diff either

Sent from my VS985 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Now you just have to deal with the whole bow tie problem.... Lol

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 09-04-2014, 06:43 AM   #257
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
haha i'll take it. just another project to work on before i get old/married/kids
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:05 AM   #258
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Ticking

I bought a used 2013 in April. Didn't notice it on the way home or when I parked it in the garage. Took it to work on Monday and heard it when I was backing out, sounded like a small exhaust leak. Never heard it outside the car when I got to work. Put BBK shorty headers on the vehicle, backed the car out ticking sound still there, no leaks.
I don't know what it is, some say its the injectors, don't know. Have taken it to the strip twice and driven it to work and back (when it doesn't rain). It's still there and it doesn't seem to cause any issues, so screw it. There is a post about it every week.
Everybodys got it, nobody's got a rod through the block, so let's let it die.
The next person that puts a new post up about it gets banned!
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 08:24 AM   #259
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
haha i'll take it. just another project to work on before i get old/married/kids

Lol congrats on the car, I've always liked vettes.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 09-04-2014, 12:52 PM   #260
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by REG View Post
I bought a used 2013 in April. Didn't notice it on the way home or when I parked it in the garage. Took it to work on Monday and heard it when I was backing out, sounded like a small exhaust leak. Never heard it outside the car when I got to work. Put BBK shorty headers on the vehicle, backed the car out ticking sound still there, no leaks.
I don't know what it is, some say its the injectors, don't know. Have taken it to the strip twice and driven it to work and back (when it doesn't rain). It's still there and it doesn't seem to cause any issues, so screw it. There is a post about it every week.
Everybodys got it, nobody's got a rod through the block, so let's let it die.
The next person that puts a new post up about it gets banned!
What if even 10% of the people with a tick have bad blocks?? When somone figures out exactly what it is, then maybe you have grounds to complain..........
Old 09-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #261
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Update: Seafoam on a full tank of gas. And then a fresh tank from my usual station after that and now my tick is gone. Just sat and listened for the tick and nothing.

Try the full treatment on your car if it has a tick: oil, vacuum line and gas treatment. They say you have to change the oil out a day or two after you treat the oil so do it right before you get an oil change.

---------- Post added at 01:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:46 PM ----------

I guess I'm banned? Lol

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 11:30 AM   #262
Registered Member
Regular

so after about 400 miles after oil change, tick is less now. At idle, it rarely tick but with ac on still ticks(less frequently). Other thing i noticed was it still ticks(3-4 times) when i accelerate from a stop where rpm is 1k-2k.
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 09:33 PM   #263
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
so after about 400 miles after oil change, tick is less now. At idle, it rarely tick but with ac on still ticks(less frequently). Other thing i noticed was it still ticks(3-4 times) when i accelerate from a stop where rpm is 1k-2k.
Yeap that's about what mine does. One thousand miles into the oil and it more or less stopped for me. That it started after a dealer change at 45000 miles makes me doubt I have oblong cylinders.
5.0.Rly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 12:53 AM   #264
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0.Rly View Post
Yeap that's about what mine does. One thousand miles into the oil and it more or less stopped for me. That it started after a dealer change at 45000 miles makes me doubt I have oblong cylinders.
Im starting to think its coyote's weird engine "personality" or normal in another word. Hopefully im right, im dying of supercharging in the near future.
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #265
Registered Member
Regular

Ticking sound

My ticking has been significantly reduced...Relatively new oil in the motor too! I purchased the JLT oil separator. I saw it endorsed on Ford's website. I do not hear it nearly as much. At first I thought it was completely gone, but alas just reduced.
Mustang Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:17 PM   #266
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have now learned, If I don't read Forums about Strut , Jounces, or Lower control arm noises; I wont have that problem. If I don't learn about Coyote Ticks on internet forums; I wont have them (and giving a Coyote a tick bath is a big deal to come out unharmed)

If I read about them , then I am doomed........
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 08:43 PM   #267
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I have now learned, If I don't read Forums about Strut , Jounces, or Lower control arm noises; I wont have that problem. If I don't learn about Coyote Ticks on internet forums; I wont have them (and giving a Coyote a tick bath is a big deal to come out unharmed)

If I read about them , then I am doomed........

Very true... If I hadn't read about mustangs or seen videos then I would never had bought my 5.0 lol

Damn Internet lol

Old 09-21-2014, 02:49 PM   #268
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Very true... If I hadn't read about mustangs or seen videos then I would never had bought my 5.0 lol ...Damn Internet lol
^^^^

Old 09-21-2014, 05:09 PM   #269
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Coyote View Post
My ticking has been significantly reduced...Relatively new oil in the motor too! I purchased the JLT oil separator. I saw it endorsed on Ford's website. I do not hear it nearly as much. At first I thought it was completely gone, but alas just reduced.
That's what happened with me to. Ticking wasn't loud but definitely noticeable next to a car or a wall with about 4k miles on my redline 5w50 fill. Got an oil change to aim oils 5w30 dominator series and the tick was gone.

That gave me a piece of mind that it wasn't rod knock or a spun bearing. I believe it's just the coyote motor being noisy. I chalked it up as that and haven't looked back.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 02:31 AM   #270
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
To each his own, my tick was 1. Not my imagination nor exaggeration because service tech agreed he could hear it and also said it shouldn't sound like that. 2. Since I took mine in in august I haven't heard it since. They claimed they did nothing but no sound since it was serviced. So, tech hears it, the y work on it, tell me it's not there after I hear for months and tech hears it, and they have the car for 2 days and it's gone. Huh, that's funny. I don't really understand why guys have a problem with people pointing out problems with the mustang, especially when it involves the engine (which can be super expensive to repair, right). For some guys here, I could probably talk bad about their religion, their kids, their job, etc. and they probably wouldn't care too much. but man say you have a manufacturers problem with your mustang and JC that's blasphemy. I love the car too but it still is a mass produced product that is going to have some drawbacks to it. I do expect from this vehicle that it doesn't feel like I'm in 1985 and I just bought a K car and I'm lucky that it's bolted together. I spent good money on it and a tick from engine will not be tolerated. A little extra rattling sure or no back seat floor mats ok, but not a tick.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Lvsmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #271
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvsmc14 View Post
To each his own, my tick was 1. Not my imagination nor exaggeration because service tech agreed he could hear it and also said it shouldn't sound like that. 2. Since I took mine in in august I haven't heard it since. They claimed they did nothing but no sound since it was serviced. So, tech hears it, the y work on it, tell me it's not there after I hear for months and tech hears it, and they have the car for 2 days and it's gone. Huh, that's funny. I don't really understand why guys have a problem with people pointing out problems with the mustang, especially when it involves the engine (which can be super expensive to repair, right). For some guys here, I could probably talk bad about their religion, their kids, their job, etc. and they probably wouldn't care too much. but man say you have a manufacturers problem with your mustang and JC that's blasphemy. I love the car too but it still is a mass produced product that is going to have some drawbacks to it. I do expect from this vehicle that it doesn't feel like I'm in 1985 and I just bought a K car and I'm lucky that it's bolted together. I spent good money on it and a tick from engine will not be tolerated. A little extra rattling sure or no back seat floor mats ok, but not a tick.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Want to know how many parts of the engine are moving at once? It's a damn 4 valve with 4 cams lol. If you expect it to be silent go buy a Prius.

l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:29 AM   #272
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
Want to know how many parts of the engine are moving at once? It's a damn 4 valve with 4 cams lol. If you expect it to be silent go buy a Prius.

Where did I say silent? Please quote where I said silent. If u can't find it then piss off. Don't tell me what I should or shouldn't expect from a purchase I make with my money. When I use ur money then tell me what to expect and accept. Also, I expect my car to be like it is after it went in for service.

Old 09-22-2014, 06:33 AM   #273
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where did I say silent? Please quote where I said silent. If u can't find it then piss off. Don't tell me what I should or shouldn't expect from a purchase I make with my money. When I use ur money then tell me what to expect and accept. Also, I expect my car to be like it is after it went in for service.

Well you complained about having a tick, now your complaining you don't have one. If it's fixed is fixed.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Old 09-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #274
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not complaining about the tick. I'm telling all you dumb asses that you don't have to read every thread and to stop bullying people from giving their opinion and experience with their vehicle. All you guys who haven't had a problem then should shut up and let those that have or had a problem discuss this. If you haven't then move on.

Old 09-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #275
Registered Member
Regular

Well I am not certainly bullying anyone, just make a funny remark that the more I read about noises in my car the more I hear them everywhere

My Jounces are making all kinds of noise I don't think they should be. But I have heard them in my other Mustang as well, just not as loud.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:24 AM   #276
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
I'm not complaining about the tick. I'm telling all you dumb asses that you don't have to read every thread and to stop bullying people from giving their opinion and experience with their vehicle. All you guys who haven't had a problem then should shut up and let those that have or had a problem discuss this. If you haven't then move on.

And I'm telling you that your behaving no better than them. Really? Calling someone a dumb ***, that's pathetic.

I haven't had a problem yet, 11.5K miles. Hoping I don't develop pinging if I get the FRPP tune, as it seems that it's fixed now, but the chance is probably still there.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #277
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
... Hoping I don't develop pinging if I get the FRPP tune, as it seems that it's fixed now, but the chance is probably still there.
Ford says you need the JLT catch can on passenger side to keep oil fumes from lowering your Octane and cause the Ping on their boat load of timing tune. I already had the JLT can and so far I dont hear the ping, even with a 150 degree air intake temp on a hot day this year so far. The Tuner is in "Don't Learn" octane mode for best performance and I use good top tier 93 octane.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:08 AM   #278
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I only use 93, thinking of breathers instead, but, being that I would have to get an ok from parents (which sucks) and it's emissions illegal, then though it's a quick swap, probably wouldn't happen.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:38 AM   #279
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Ford says you need the JLT catch can on passenger side to keep oil fumes from lowering your Octane and cause the Ping on their boat load of timing tune. I already had the JLT can and so far I dont hear the ping, even with a 150 degree air intake temp on a hot day this year so far. The Tuner is in "Don't Learn" octane mode for best performance and I use good top tier 93 octane.

Interesting never knew about the passenger catch can or lack of it actually as a cause for the tick but I never had a tick before and have had the can since day 24. Although I did develop an ever so slight tick after having some bad gas which eventually went away after a whole tank of gas on seafoam.

Hmmmm... I could try to put the stock tube back on to see if a tick develops but thank god I lost the tube so I can't do this experiment. Lol

Old 09-22-2014, 09:52 AM   #280
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't see anyone targeting you or your post regarding your tick. Calm down dude before Mods step in with a ban hammer lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT