Ticking sound - Page 9 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 PM   #281
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Welllll that escalated quickly...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
l l 6 Spd l Prem Pkg l Nav l TP l LthrRecaros l AmericanRacing 1 7/8 LTs l O/R H l JLT CF CAI lVMP Tuned l BorlaS Quads w/ResDel. l GT500Valance l KoniStr.T l K-Springs l GT500 Mounts l BMR UCA&LCA l BMR Relos l BMR Panhard l SpeedDawg Knob l 5.0 LloydsMats l Redline HoodStrts l Bobs CF Oil Sep. l 15% Tint l CDC Grille l StrtScn2 ChinSpoiler l GT/CS Fogs w/4500k l RTR DeckLid l CF Engine/CoilCoversl
Joey8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 02:53 PM   #282
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey8 View Post
Welllll that escalated quickly...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Yup faster than than an 8000hp+ top fuel dragster lol

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:49 PM   #283
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
I don't see anyone targeting you or your post regarding your tick. Calm down dude before Mods step in with a ban hammer lol

No the fella above said I wanted my car to be silent which I never did. That is when I got upset. There are way too way guys on here telling people not to post stuff and they use tactics like that to try to stifle I'm not going to let people totally purposely misinterpret my comments and get away with it.

Lvsmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2014, 03:53 PM   #284
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Then you misinterpret their comment...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 03:59 PM   #285
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lvsmc14 View Post
I'm not complaining about the tick. I'm telling all you dumb asses that you don't have to read every thread and to stop bullying people from giving their opinion and experience with their vehicle. All you guys who haven't had a problem then should shut up and let those that have or had a problem discuss this. If you haven't then move on.

Did i call you a name? Grow up pal. You tell people to let others speak their opinion and that's what I did. Did I say anything derogatory towards you? Nope. But it would seem your pretty touchy so I won't say anymore to you.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #286
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodles76 View Post
Did i call you a name? Grow up pal. You tell people to let others speak their opinion and that's what I did. Did I say anything derogatory towards you? Nope. But it would seem your pretty touchy so I won't say anymore to you.

2014 5.OHHHHHH

I was never receding to you. Until this post I never mentioned you in a post or quoted you, so why would you think that I was talking about you. So, who is the touchy one?

Lvsmc14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 06:55 PM   #287
Registered Member
Regular

Damn, I am out of popcorn.....
Troy
Btw, it is pretty clear who the touchy one is.

See?! 8)
Old 09-22-2014, 06:56 PM   #288
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Troy

See?! 8)
I see nothing, but know who your talking about.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 04:01 AM   #289
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Troy

See?! 8)

Yes... This one is the touchy one lmao

Old 09-23-2014, 06:50 AM   #290
Registered Member
Regular

(I love this thread...)

Update on my new engine... No tick after 800 miles. In fact, the engine is almost SILENT. 😉 really, it's very quiet. Unfortunately, it's burning oil. Down ~1.5 qts in 800 miles. I'm hoping the new rings seat pretty quick.

jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:17 AM   #291
Registered Member
Regular

2090 miles still no tick and have not burned any oil.

2014 5.OHHHHHH
Noodles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 11:44 AM   #292

Region: California
Update here as well:

After ford looked at it and said nothing is wrong I'm letting it ride to the 4th oil change. This time, the tick NEVER Disappeared over mileage.

It used to go away after 500-1000 miles, It did reduce its consistency but now is ALWAYS there on warm start. I'm at 19.8k right now and about to take it in for the 4th service this upcoming week.

Hopefully it doesn't keep getting worse
Peachdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 06:25 PM   #293
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
My tick was actually getting quieter and almost gone at idle, but I just did my first oil change by the dealer at 3,300 miles, and now the tick is back and loud again. I'm going to have to see what happens after I put a few hundred miles on it now after the oil change.
Old 09-24-2014, 01:12 AM   #294
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Fill the tub with warm soapy water and hold its body under the water. Ticks swim to the top and are fairly easy to find on the head area. Cures ticks every time.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 07:47 PM   #295
Registered Member
Regular

Well...a heads up. Someone posted on this thread or another one (I'll search for it), I think in relation to the pickups with the 5.0 (they may have a different oil pan and different oil capacity) to put 7.7 quarts of oil in the car, not 8.0. It came time to change the oil again (I put too many miles on the car, I admit) and did as close to 7.7 quarts as I could, and it might make a sound or two moving from a stop in first gear (jury's out I haven't gotten to test it in a sound chamber), but it sounds nowhere near like the two videos I posted. Much better, if not perfect. Might be in my head, but the sound in the videos I posted is clear.

I used redline synthetic 5w20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
(I love this thread...)

Update on my new engine... No tick after 800 miles. In fact, the engine is almost SILENT. ������ really, it's very quiet. Unfortunately, it's burning oil. Down ~1.5 qts in 800 miles. I'm hoping the new rings seat pretty quick.

No idea the experiences others had when new but for me that's a ****ton of oil. My old SRT4 blew a turbo and it burned less oil than that with the seals dumping it straight into the exhaust.
5.0.Rly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 08:17 PM   #296
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Just read through some of this stuff, and its funny how some people say its worse when they get new oil, then goes away after a few hundred miles right?

Well, after reading an oil analysis thread on another forum, it seems as though the stock (motorcraft) oil viscocity starts out a little too high (too thick), then thins out probably to the right level in the middle, and then is actually too thin right before the oil change.

Some of the 100% synthetics like Amsoil were in the middle of the before & after range of viscocities. ie: 14+-. (and stayed the same through the entire 3,000+ miles)

Where the motorcraft oil's viscocity started out at like 19 and finished at 11-12... which I'm hypothesizing may be too thick in the beginning and you're hearing some part tapping that 's not getting enough oil to it until the engine is warmed up. It's the same type of valve tapping noises you hear if you don't have enough oil or your oil is too old & thin. So ticking / tapping goes away when the engine is either warmed up, or is the "right age" and the viscocity is in the right range.
c_rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 10:30 PM   #297
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Just bought my 2014 GT and I noticed it ticking at an idle...like a lot. Im nervous about it but seems to be a problem with a lot of them. I have noticed when I turn the AC completly off it seems to go away. Wonder if it is something with the compressor?
FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2014, 12:07 AM   #298
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post
Just read through some of this stuff, and its funny how some people say its worse when they get new oil, then goes away after a few hundred miles right?

Well, after reading an oil analysis thread on another forum, it seems as though the stock (motorcraft) oil viscocity starts out a little too high (too thick), then thins out probably to the right level in the middle, and then is actually too thin right before the oil change.

Some of the 100% synthetics like Amsoil were in the middle of the before & after range of viscocities. ie: 14+-. (and stayed the same through the entire 3,000+ miles)

Where the motorcraft oil's viscocity started out at like 19 and finished at 11-12... which I'm hypothesizing may be too thick in the beginning and you're hearing some part tapping that 's not getting enough oil to it until the engine is warmed up. It's the same type of valve tapping noises you hear if you don't have enough oil or your oil is too old & thin. So ticking / tapping goes away when the engine is either warmed up, or is the "right age" and the viscocity is in the right range.
Interesting. Have a link to the thread? The noise in the video I posted only happens when warm, not when cold.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #299
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_rizzle View Post

It could be but it doesn't explain the others or majority that don't have the ticks. I've never had ticks or tocks except for one tank of bad gas. And I've always gotten my oil changed by the dealer.

I read somewhere also that a member got a new motor or something because a cylinder(s) was not round so there was some tapping by the walls. Perhaps with conjunction of too thick new oil and too thin old oil there's some tapping until the oil is spent after a few hundred or thousand miles. Being that the majority of the owners swap out the oil well before the life of it then most people don't experience old oil ticking.

So maybe the tolerance of the cylinders are off on a percentage of the engines manufactured.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #300
Registered Member
Regular

I also read about that replacement. I am still on the fence about it. I really don't know how a cylinder in a combustion engine that is a bit out of round will make a ticking sounds. Just does not not make sense to me at all. I think maybe the dealer tore it down and subsequently found that cyl out of round and replaced and told the owner that was the tick...because they found nothing else. Think the tick just happens on some and not others. Very interesting for sure, but nothing i am worried about. Thought it could be injectors, vvtc system (which is my fav still), or too thick oil. Seems that most that replace oil with other than motorcraft 5w50 tick, but not all. Vvtc operates by centrifugal force to move a cylinder...this seems plausible for an intermittent tick to me.
It may be like the owl in the tootsie roll pop commercials of yore....we may never know!
Troy
Old 09-29-2014, 06:51 PM   #301
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I also read about that replacement. I am still on the fence about it. I really don't know how a cylinder in a combustion engine that is a bit out of round will make a ticking sounds. Just does not not make sense to me at all. I think maybe the dealer tore it down and subsequently found that cyl out of round and replaced and told the owner that was the tick...because they found nothing else. Think the tick just happens on some and not others. Very interesting for sure, but nothing i am worried about. Thought it could be injectors, vvtc system (which is my fav still), or too thick oil. Seems that most that replace oil with other than motorcraft 5w50 tick, but not all. Vvtc operates by centrifugal force to move a cylinder...this seems plausible for an intermittent tick to me.
It may be like the owl in the tootsie roll pop commercials of yore....we may never know!
Troy

I'm pretty sure my cylinder really was messed up. Spent too much time in the shop with the tech to totally be BS'n me. The guys up front may have tried, but the actual mechanic was great. 1st time anyone there saw this problem. So it's logical that other's ticks may be something else, like that valve train.
The idea is that the out-of-round direction is perpendicular to the wrist pin, allowing the piston to twist on the pin, and the skirt hit... Piston slap. It's real quiet now. But now it seems to be using oil 😢
Mine calls for 5-20. Before going in, I tried 5-30 and it ticked much worse.
I really love the car. But this is tough love!
I hope yours just stops ticking!

Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 PM   #302
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd864 View Post
I'm pretty sure my cylinder really was messed up. Spent too much time in the shop with the tech to totally be BS'n me. The guys up front may have tried, but the actual mechanic was great. 1st time anyone there saw this problem. So it's logical that other's ticks may be something else, like that valve train.
The idea is that the out-of-round direction is perpendicular to the wrist pin, allowing the piston to twist on the pin, and the skirt hit... Piston slap. It's real quiet now. But now it seems to be using oil
Mine calls for 5-20. Before going in, I tried 5-30 and it ticked much worse.
I really love the car. But this is tough love!
I hope yours just stops ticking!

Yours was such low mileage and manifested so quickly I think they're telling the truth. It's not the sort of thing to go silent 45000 miles.

Edit: somehow wrote my comment inside the quote.
Old 09-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #303
Registered Member
Regular

Don't get me wrong. I really think u had an out of round cyl. I just don't see how that will make a tick sound...even with the explanation u gave. Not sure what they think was "slapping." I think it is more likely that they found this (unrelated) problem while hunting for a tick issue.
Glad it is running good with no tick. Tick doesn't bother me at all. Used to have a inline 4.0 jeep/tractor engine that sounded like a Cat D8!
Still think it has more to do with oil viscosity and the vvtc system valves in our motors, but meh.
Troy
Old 10-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #304
Registered Member
Regular

I had a couple of the old 4.0 jeeps too! At idle they really did sound like a diesel! Lol! One of mine was old enough to blow the exhaust off, right before the converter. Man, did that thing scream! Put out a solid 6" flame in the mornings too! Lol!!

The dealer was explaining a little about noise in the 5.0. This was the A+ tech that knew his stuff. He explained that sound travels through these new aluminum blocks a lot different than it did in the old cast blocks. I can't explain much more... Lol! But the net of it, although it sounded like top end, lifters... It was coming from below.
Toward the end, mine was getting pretty loud and doing it all the time. Almost more of a knock. I should have recorded for everyone.

Changed oil today. No significant shavings or debris. Hopefully the rings have seated, and it stops drinking oil too.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:30 PM   #305
Registered Member
Regular

Mine ended up being the AC tensioner assembly tick. Ford replaced with serpentine and spring loaded tensioner. 12-8-14 TSB and all is good now.

dudley279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:16 PM   #306
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley279 View Post
Mine ended up being the AC tensioner assembly tick. Ford replaced with serpentine and spring loaded tensioner. 12-8-14 TSB and all is good now.

Awesome. What year was yours again?
Old 01-22-2015, 09:05 AM   #307
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0.Rly View Post
Awesome. What year was yours again?

2013. Build date 12/12. TSB technically only applied up to 11/12 builds but it still fixed mine.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:01 PM   #308
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley279 View Post
2013. Build date 12/12. TSB technically only applied up to 11/12 builds but it still fixed mine.

Do you h ave any kind of video of the sound yours made?
Old 01-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #309
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0.Rly View Post
Do you h ave any kind of video of the sound yours made?

http://youtu.be/y7PjF-P9224

That's mine prior to TSB fix. Sorry for delay on replies. Keep forgetting to check.

Old 01-27-2015, 05:35 AM   #310
Registered Member
Regular

Very interesting. Sounds similar to the sound mine makes after the oil is 800 miles in, but by 1000 it goes away. Since the only variable that affects the sound mine makes is changning my oil, I doubt this would help me even if I could get them to do it.

I'm glad you had success.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:53 PM   #311
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
My 2014 does not sound like some yours at all. Mine sounds like a lazy lifter that comes and goes on the passenger side. Ever since I put my long tunes on, it sounds louder due to the long tubes amplifying the sound. I can lay under the car and hear the sound through the passenger side long tube. I still have to put a stethoscope to see where it is coming from. It has done it since day one. I have redline 5w50 in it right now but it's in storage for winter. Maybe next oil change I will try 5w30 but if it is just a lifter, I am just going to let it tick. The engine burned oil when it was new, then after my first oil change it burns nothing, so I think my block is fine.

sadler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 07:25 AM   #312

Region: Georgia
Sounds like a throw out bearing issue.

Mhsupreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #313

Update for everyone:
I called ford to complain about the issue instead of going to the dealer first.
I asked them to provide a rental car until this was solved.
2 Weeks later I got a call saying a new short block was shipped. And they are going to replace it.
I'll see if i can get any pictures of the old block.

Best of luck to everyone with this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachdown View Post
Hi Guys,

I too just joined this forum only to keep this thread moving.

1) I have the tick.
2) 2014 GT (17,500 miles)
3) Built: 05/13, bought 06/13 with 7 miles on it.
4) Dealer: 1st oil change (3,300 miles)
Dealer: 2nd oil change (9999 miles)
-TICK BEGINS (10,300 miles)
Disappears at 13000~ish
Dealer: 3rd oil change (15500 miles)
-TICK RETURNS much worse (15700 miles)
Dealer: They give me the normal dealer bull****.

5) Tick is very quiet during fully warm conditions or fully cold.
The Tick its absolutely unbearable under specific conditions below:
Car has been driven til fully warm, then let to cool for 1hr-5hrs.
Upon start up (for lunch for example) the car will tick rapidly for up to 10 minutes before calming down again.

6) You can hear it over my Roush mufflers (only mod).... so embarassing next to the 4 other 2011-2014 GTs at my work . Get nothing but WTF's from my coworkers...

Peachdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 07:15 PM   #314
OX1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
So this is the second short block for this issue? Not good.................
Old 03-16-2015, 08:33 PM   #315
Registered Member

Regular

Region: South Dakota
Quote:
Troy
Does anyone know of any literature that shows how the vvtc system works on this car? Is it exactly the same as say a Honda system or does anyone know?

For those with the new short blocks, did they try the tsb before replacing? Did they tear it down or what to diagnose? Was there any compression lost?
Famine is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT