Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ticking sound

42K views 336 replies 59 participants last post by  dudley279 
#1 ·
'14 GT premium, 7000 miles, 5W50 Motorcraft oil. Recently noticed a random "ticking" sound which appears to be coming from underneath the car on driver's side. The sound is non rythmic and I only notice it when car is warm and idle. No change when engaging the clutch, does not seem to react to throttle position. I sure hope it's not motor related as I have a Steeda 93 tune. Have not noticed any change in performance. When I open the hood and listen, I don't really hear it. It's a lot more prominent when next to front wheel, driver's side. Any thoughts? Again, the sound seems to be totally random with no rhythm to it at all. Thanks.

#10 ·
:hide: My Very First Post was about this issue

My car spent 3 weeks at the dealer
and they tried everything Ford could recommend
Dealer said they fixed it ?

Then 2 days later it showed up again
Doesn't effect the car at all
But does have an embarrassment factor when your pulling into the drive thru
and the whole line can hear' tick 'tick tick :banghead:

Run the piss out of it ~~~~~
23000 on mine and NO problems !!!!!!!

#13 ·
So happy I searched before posting. I've got this exact sound on my '13 with 7400 miles. Not so much a tick but like one guy said, the sound of the car cooling when you shut her down. However, I DO seem to notice it slightly more when I give it a little gas, isn't consistent with RPM though. So everyone here agrees that it's normal? I've got high flow cats with no tune and CEL on so have been cautious to take it into stealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#64 ·
So happy I searched before posting. I've got this exact sound on my '13 with 7400 miles. Not so much a tick but like one guy said, the sound of the car cooling when you shut her down. However, I DO seem to notice it slightly more when I give it a little gas, isn't consistent with RPM though. So everyone here agrees that it's normal? I've got high flow cats with no tune and CEL on so have been cautious to take it into stealership.
I get a tinkling that sounds like its in the CatCon on the drivers side till it warms up. Tinkling like a heat shield or other slight exhaust noise. I dont think we have heat shields on our Cats do we?

#16 ·
There is a previous post about this. Maybe monday? Ford engineers worked with one of the other guys on here. Put a graphite lubricant mixed in with the oil. Helps break in the motor because for some reason going through the assembly line some weren't broken in as well as others from what I understand. My 14 gt/cs does not have this noise fortunately. Sounds like a headache.

#18 ·
Well, took mine into dealer and they tried to tell me it was an exhaust leak from my high flow cats I installed. Told em it had ZERO to do with that being I had this same tick before I ever touched my exhaust... Then they proceeded to tell me my factory resonators were "aftermarket" and not from ford. After being under the car while on the lift it is most definitely coming from driver side. Seemingly on the engine block... But they disagree and say whatever noise I'm hearing is normal/ not a problem. Has anyone on here had this particular tick attended too or is it still up in the air? I mentioned the graphite thing to them and they laughed at me... So here I am. Car back outta dealership still ticking...

#19 ·
And again.... It sounds like cooling metal.. That "tink" noise it makes when cooling. Except while idle at operating temp and slightly more so with throttle applied. Not so much consistent with RPM. It's driving me bat sh$t crazy.

#22 ·
I have the same exact thing and it showed up this week after first oil change. 2014 premium, 2k miles, steeda CAI and 93 tune.

I found another thread with other owners who claim to have the same issue, also some with videos. Seems to be a fairly normal, if annoying and unsettling thing. Some say its a loose pulley inside the engine that can get replaced by the dealer from a tech bulletin (with mixed results, btw). Some say the dealer puts in a zinc additive from the factory that better lubricates the engine. None of them have had mechanical issues and all seem to perform great so far, including mine.

I think part of the problem is that us car guys don't recognize the noise and since it shows up without warning is exactly the thing we've always watched out for. I'm not sure, only time will tell. In the mean time, I'm going to do the same thing the dealer is doing now; ignore it until there is something to fix.

#23 ·
Any chance you could link that other thread on here? I'd like to be able to read some of it myself too. I've had a hard time finding people with this similar ticking noise. Most all I find is the "ignitor" tick. Which sounds much worse than what i have lol.

#24 ·
My '14 GT with 6k miles is doing the same thing. I'm still stock. Finally brought it in today. They can't examine til next week. Good news: they didn't give me the "it's normal for these cars" line. He was interested in the Friction Modifier solution from other threads. Will keep you posted if they find a fix.

#27 ·
Mine has started doing the inconsistent ticking/tinking sound too, sounds like its coming more from the front where the belts are and the driver's side of the engine. The sound usually comes after only when the car is warmed up and driven a bit, it ticks at idle too, not only when it is being driven. I notice how loud it is too when I drive alongside the barriers on the highway.

My car has 2000 miles on it so far, I'm trying not to take it to the dealer till next month since I need the car as my DD. I was worried about it, but since I read a lot of other people have this and car drives fine, I hope I will be okay. The car drives absolutely fine like the day I got it.

#28 ·
I drive the absolutely piss outta mine with the tick and it causes no performance or drive ability issues. So I wouldn't stress it to much if I was you. It just bothers me cause I wanted to start modding this car but with 7k on the clock and ticking makes me un easy...

#32 · (Edited)
Yea I registered to reply to this as well. 2013 GT with Brembos; Stock motor, with magnaflow catback; California; 48000 miles.

I don't know if this helps but I just did the first oil change on mine. I put the zinc additive in with my oil. I always used it on my race cars. I drag raced for many years. So far no tick. 2014 GT by the way.
What modifier did you use? I have heard this a lot, but only heard of one kind, called "Ford XL-17." I don't know anything about specs or different applications on them so I was interested in hearing what you did as well.

Does it sound anything like this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcBT6nyATcw

This has been happening on and off for a few thousand miles. Started after I changed my oil with Royal Purple 5w20 synthetic at 43000 miles. I changed it early at the dealership at 47000 miles because I had too much oil lying around and no receptacles in my garage. The reason I got it changed early is because I wanted 3000 miles after next oil change/major service in case anything happens before my powertrain warranty is gone.

I've been putting synthetic in the car since 30,000 miles. This time at 47000 the dealership put their normal conventional/synthetic mix. I thought they put in full synth because the cost of the service was around the cost of the surcharge for full synthetic, and I expected they knew in their records what I was using.

Assumptions make an ass out you...

Anyhow I got the car back sounding like this. Much more than the royal purple had ever done. These days as far as I can discern putting conventional oil in your car after you've been using full synthetic doesn't make a difference.

Most people in the threads I've found talk about a tick that shows up after oil changes and goes away in 1000 to 4000 miles. Doesn't harm your car, but will drive you insane if you're ocd about it. (Yea you only paid couple tens of thousands of dollars for your car, why get concerned when noises show up that didn't before?)

Anyhow it happens less frequently than this now. I took it to the dealer but as you'd expect the car got performance anxiety.

So I think it's normal.

One question: The car makes a kind of ticking/fluttering noise at 1800-2000 rpm. Does anyone ever hear this as well bouncing off walls? Also really started up after the Royal Purple but I have been unable to get a good video of it yet.

#31 ·
Seeing this thread made me register and reply. I bought a used 2013 GT 6A about a week ago. When I was backing into the garage this afternoon, I heard this noise being described. Nice to know it's not a big deal.

Where do you get this friction modifier?

Thanks...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.