5w50. Do I have to use it? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-22-2014, 08:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
5w50. Do I have to use it?

Ok so I don't track the car or drag race so must I use 5w50? What are the pros and cons of using a low cost oil?

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 09:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Not only do you not have to use it I recommend you not use it. Remember you have exactly the same engine as the cars that don't have the track pack. Motorcraft 5w-50 shears rather quickly.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 09:47 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome. Stuff is not cheap and with the larger oil pan it would cost 100+

Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2014, 11:29 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I use Royal Purple HPS 10w 40 no problems

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
My owner's manual calls for 5w-20, this is Ford's recommendation. Why use any other weight?
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJBertrand View Post
My owner's manual calls for 5w-20, this is Ford's recommendation. Why use any other weight?
The track pack cars call for 5w-50
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 03:07 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post
Yes this is what my track pack is asking for.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I forgot to mention my car is a boss and says to use 5-50. Tried using redline oil and pressure was to high so I went down to 40w. Good oil does not shear.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Boss View Post

Thats because of the Oil cooler
which requires 5w50 to properly lubricate the pump

5w20 is to thin for the pump
But Not the engine !!!!
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 03:14 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post
Thats because of the Oil cooler
which requires 5w50 to properly lubricate the pump

5w20 is to thin for the pump
But Not the engine !!!!
Not trying to start a pissing contest here, but I am trying to learn...
I think the external oil cooler is just that, a air to oil cooler such as ur radiator. It does not have a seperate pump. The oil pump is still the same gear pump as on all 5.0s.
Please correct me if I am wrong, but that is how it is normally.
I believe the thicker oil is strickly for hot lapping. Ford would be open for much liability if they advertise a TracPac that is all set for hot lapping, then have engines blow due to high oil temps! The thicker oil stays at an optimum viscosity as the engine stays hot while racing (constant 5k rpms).
Troy
Old 04-23-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
I think the external oil cooler is just that, a air to oil cooler such as ur radiator. It does not have a seperate pump. The oil pump is still the same gear pump as on all 5.0s.
I believe the thicker oil is strickly for hot lapping. Ford would be open for much liability if they advertise a TracPac that is all set for hot lapping, then have engines blow due to high oil temps! The thicker oil stays at an optimum viscosity as the engine stays hot while racing (constant 5k rpms).
Troy

Yea maybe your right
it looks like it has a pump.
But it could be just a heat sink unit ?

So every other Mustang that doesn't have 5w50 factory installed
is suppose to be driven like a Camry ?

The very first thing 5w 20 owners do
is tune it, Then race the crap out of them

Wouldn't that qualify for using 5w 50 across the board ?

Strange Company these Ford engineers are
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
In any car I've ever owned I used heavier oil in the summer and lighter in the cold.
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GT View Post
Ok so I don't track the car or drag race so must I use 5w50? What are the pros and cons of using a low cost oil?

At least while it is under warranty, I would use what the oil Ford recommends. After the warranty wears out, use what you want, since it will be your dime then.

For those who recommend something different, ask them if something happens and Ford won't pay for it because you didn't use what the manufacturer recommend, will they pay for the damage?
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:27 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Screw a warranty. If you are that worried about something then don't touch anything. 5w20 is all you need

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

this is what I'm hearing from most ppl with 2011+ 5.0. I'll use 5w20 on my next change
Old 04-24-2014, 05:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post
Yea maybe your right
it looks like it has a pump.
But it could be just a heat sink unit ?

So every other Mustang that doesn't have 5w50 factory installed
is suppose to be driven like a Camry ?

The very first thing 5w 20 owners do
is tune it, Then race the crap out of them

Wouldn't that qualify for using 5w 50 across the board ?

Strange Company these Ford engineers are
When I say racing, I mean actually on a road course and keeping the engine near peak hp, 4-5000 rpm for a considerable amount of time. Drag, or street racing will not warm up the oil too much.
That being said, I used Mobil 1 5w20 in mine as I spend 95% of my time at 80mph on the freeway.
Good luck!
Troy
Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Regardless of what weight you decide to use, why not use Synthetic Blend instead of Full Synthetic? Ford factory / dealers recommend 5w-20 Synthetic Blend for the standard GT 5.0, basically the same motor as the Track Pack. Lots of oils to choose from..stay away from Walmart Super-Tech. I have my oil changed at the dealer to eliminate any possible warranty issues..and because I am too old and stiff to do it these days.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:05 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If I change my own oil you think Ford will try to give me crap if I take it back for a service or warranty issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 FiveO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 04:54 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Of course not.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Troy
Ford's oil cooler used is not an "air" oil cooler; it's cooled by the radiator coolant. The lower radiator hose has two fiitings that have hoses running to a large plate like canister that sits in between the oil filter and oil pump housing. Water runs through this canister, cooling the oil. Now if the OP is using something other than Fords oil cooler, then disregard this post.

Ford has been using this style of oil coolers for years on their police cruisers, Taxi's, and heavy duty vehicles. The 3.7 V6 has one when used in the new F150's with a tow package. I used one of these setups on my 3.7, as I track it on weekends, and wanted some additional oil protection.

Here's a picture showing the Ford 5.0 factory oil cooler with the lower radiator nipple fittings used to route coolant to the "plate canister" that sites between the oil pump and oil filter:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil_cooler.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	155404  
Old 04-29-2014, 04:39 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Ford's oil cooler used is not an "air" oil cooler; it's cooled by the radiator coolant. The lower radiator hose has two fiitings that have hoses running to a large plate like canister that sits in between the oil filter and oil pump. Water runs through this canister, cooling the oil. Now if the OP is using something other than Fords oil cooler, then disregard this post.

Ford has been using this style of oil coolers for years on their police cruisers, Taxi's, and heavy duty vehicles. The 3.7 V6 has one when used in the new F150's with a tow package. I used one of these setups on my 3.7, as I track it on weekends, and wanted some additional oil protection.

Here's a picture showing the Ford 5.0 factory oil cooler with the lower radiator nipple fittings used to route coolant to the "plate canister" that sites between the oil pump and oil filter:
Thx bucko, that puts it in perspective.
Troy
Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013 FiveO View Post
If I change my own oil you think Ford will try to give me crap if I take it back for a service or warranty issue

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I work for Ford and this one time a customers engine failed he had to provide receipts of his oil changes. He did have major slug build up though.

That being said, it will not void you warranty. But I would save your receipts just in case!
ksnapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Oil is the single most important thing you can put in your car. Why would you take the advice of a random stranger telling you to use something other than what Ford recommends?

Go over to SVTPerformance. There is a really informative thread about different types & viscosities of oil there.

I will only ever put either Motorcraft or Redline 5W-50 in our 2013 GT500. The oil change with the full synthetic is just over $100 if I do it myself. And at the recommended intervals, that's a small price to pay for a car that we'll be keeping for the next 50 years.

2013 Ford Mustang SVT 20th Anniversary Cobra Shelby GT500. Stock, almost.
UOP Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:38 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkk View Post
Regardless of what weight you decide to use, why not use Synthetic Blend instead of Full Synthetic? Ford factory / dealers recommend 5w-20 Synthetic Blend for the standard GT 5.0, basically the same motor as the Track Pack. Lots of oils to choose from..stay away from Walmart Super-Tech. I have my oil changed at the dealer to eliminate any possible warranty issues..and because I am too old and stiff to do it these days.
Stay away from Super Tech! Ha ha ha! Nothing wrong with it at all. Clearly you just don't know. Super tech full synthetic is as good base III synthetic as any other name brand base III synthetic.

I'm not saying its as top quality as a base IV synthetic oils such as Royal Purple, Redline, Amsoil, Mobil 1 EP, however nothing wrong with Super Tech oils. Good oil at a good price. After all its only oil people. Just change it on regular intervals and your engine will last a long, long time.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GT View Post

Its completely silly that a 14 5.0 has a recommended oil of 5W 20. A 14 5.0 with track pac has a recommend oil of 5W50.
Now wait for it fellas

Both have same identical engine. Both have the same tight specs yet one calls for 5W 50 and other 5W 20. Based on that clearly someone with a 5.0 trac pack can use 5W 20 and be absolutely fine. No real reason to use 5W50 especially if one is not racing and staying in the 4 to 5k rpm's the whole time.
Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Stick with what Ford recommends you use. If you don't have the track pack use 5w-20 if you do then its 5w-50. Use full synthetic like Mobile 1 and you'll never have oil related problems.
mnl1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Its completely silly that a 14 5.0 has a recommended oil of 5W 20. A 14 5.0 with track pac has a recommend oil of 5W50.
Now wait for it fellas

Both have same identical engine. Both have the same tight specs yet one calls for 5W 50 and other 5W 20. Based on that clearly someone with a 5.0 trac pack can use 5W 20 and be absolutely fine. No real reason to use 5W50 especially if one is not racing and staying in the 4 to 5k rpm's the whole time.
It's not silly. The Track Pack versions have extra track quality parts. Don't mess around with recommended oils.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:11 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl1121 View Post
It's not silly. The Track Pack versions have extra track quality parts. Don't mess around with recommended oils.
The track pack gets you this:

"Track Package ($2495), available only on GTs equipped with a manual transmission and includes a 3.73:1 axle. Those two-and-a-half bills bring more than a few goodies: 255/40R19 Pirelli P Zero summer tires, 9.0 x 19-inch aluminum wheels, larger Brembo brakes with performance pads, an upgraded radiator and engine oil cooler, and the same heavy-duty Torsen limited-slip differential found on the Boss 302."

So, if I owned one, and was not tracking the car, I'd see no reason why I'd use the 5w-50. However, If I did own one, I'd be filling it with 5W-50, as I'd be driving it to its absolute limits on the weekends at the local airport tracks.

If it were a Boss 302, then absolutely, 5w-50 all the time, as the Boss 5.0 has engine internals that are stronger to withstand the expected higher reving engine it sees for what it was designed for.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:45 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Are the engine specs different on a base 5.0 compared to a 5.0 with trac pac? Are the two engines identical between the two models?
Old 04-30-2014, 03:44 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Stick with what Ford recommends you use. If you don't have the track pack use 5w-20 if you do then its 5w-50. Use full synthetic like Mobile 1 and you'll never have oil related problems.
It's actually spelled Mobil 1. And Mobil 1 changed their formula years ago and is no longer a true full synthetic.
Quote:
Seriously?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Are the engine specs different on a base 5.0 compared to a 5.0 with trac pac? Are the two engines identical between the two models?
We all know they're the same engines. He probably didn't get the memo though.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
It's actually spelled Mobil 1. And Mobil 1 changed their formula years ago and is no longer a true full synthetic.

Seriously?

Ba ha ha ha! Well, if they both have the same identical engine and specs then how can 5W 20 be great for one engine and yet bad for the other engine. Its the same engine parts and specs people. Ba ha ha ha.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Seriously?

It's the same engine, but different oil cooler and pump I believe. I don't know for sure if it is necessary, but really do you want to take the risk?
Old 05-01-2014, 04:51 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's the same engine, but different oil cooler and pump I believe. I don't know for sure if it is necessary, but really do you want to take the risk?
Same pump and there is no risk. Sometimes it's okay to think outside the box.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:45 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Same pump and there is no risk. Sometimes it's okay to think outside the box.
Fair enough lol
Old 05-02-2014, 05:37 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I went to the dealer yesterday for my second Oil change at 8500 miles. the first one they paid for so there was no discussion. when i went in the quoted a price of like 50.00, then i got a call from the service manager and asked if i had changed the oil cap. (he did not know the Track Pack cars called for 5/50) I said no its a track pack car. they raised the price to like 105.00 for the oil change and off we went.

The reason in my opinion as to why the call for 5w50 in the track pack car is the extra heat generated if you are tracking the car.

driving on the track pushes the motor well beyond street, and the issue is the extra heat generated so if you have a track pack car that you do not track then you are fine with the 5w20 oil.

Now my second opinion. 5w20 oil is pushed by MFG for fuel milage not motor protection. there is no question that the higher wt oil on the top end protects the motor better over the long haul.

remember wt cold at start up = 5 in both wt hot at temp 20 vs 50. So even if i am on the street I would go to something more that 20 wt. but maybe not up to 50 wt. 5w30 or 40 would offer more protection.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT