American Muscle Wheels Quality - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
American Muscle Wheels Quality

Just let me start off by saying I did months of reading before I purchased the AMR Charcoal wheels. I had only read one review that said the paint started to chip around the edges after a years worth of driving. In knowing this and looking at all the positive review, I was lead to believe they were good quality, especially for the price. After today, I am not so sure. The boxes I received were not in very good shape, and EVERY wheel had a ding and scratch in it. I have spent thousands with American Muscle and have never been disappointed until now. It would be one thing for just one wheel to have a scratch, but if EACH wheel had a scratch in the same location, there must be something wrong with their manufacturing/painting process. Anybody else have any experiences like this with these wheels?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.JPG
Views:	367
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	154845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0784.JPG
Views:	369
Size:	1.89 MB
ID:	154846  

Name:	IMG_0785.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	154847   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0786.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	154848  

Name:	IMG_0787.JPG
Views:	309
Size:	1.71 MB
ID:	154849   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0788.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	920.6 KB
ID:	154850  

Name:	IMG_0789.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	932.0 KB
ID:	154851   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	154852  

Name:	IMG_0792.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	154853   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0791.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	154854  

Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I don't blame you for being unhappy. Those scratches and gouges wouldn't be acceptable to me either.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 04:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah. At this point I think I just want my money back and I'll go somewhere else. I just find it odd that they didn't see these scratches before they packaged the wheels. Each wheel had almost the same scratch, so there had to be some sort of manufacturing problem. I just wonder if other people are getting their wheels with the same scratches? or did they just assume I wouldn't notice? lol
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 05:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Did you contact them about it first? I think people should always contact a seller first before pretty much flaming them online. It could have been the carrier or transport company. That being said, I have seen MANY things I have ordered from many different places and the boxes are pretty much mangled. In fact, I had a box with 6k worth of parts in it and it had been busted open on a bottom corner and "re-taped" Before I signed for it, i checked the contents. Was definitely not the fault of the shipper as I could see how it was sealed originally, but it was packaged well enough that is was all perfect even though there was significant damage to the main outside box.
It looks like the dings on the wheels were sent that way from your pics. If that is the case, there is no excuse.
I would give them a chance to make it right see what they say.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:30 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with you Deerslayer, but in this case. I think in this case, it obviously was not the shipping that caused this damage. Every wheel had the same damage in almost the same location. I have contacted American Muscle and they are working with me to get this resolved. They do have great customer service. I give them that. This is just something that I think was overlooked. Not to mention I couldn't find many reviews on the quality, so I thought I would make my experience known. Once the new wheels come in, I will post new pics of those.

On another note, they didn't even clean the adhesive off the wheels from installing the tires. There was white adhesive all around the edges. While that isn't a huge deal, it is still an inconvenience for the customer to have to clean up a manufacturers messy job.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
Did you contact them about it first? I think people should always contact a seller first before pretty much flaming them online. It could have been the carrier or transport company. That being said, I have seen MANY things I have ordered from many different places and the boxes are pretty much mangled. In fact, I had a box with 6k worth of parts in it and it had been busted open on a bottom corner and "re-taped" Before I signed for it, i checked the contents. Was definitely not the fault of the shipper as I could see how it was sealed originally, but it was packaged well enough that is was all perfect even though there was significant damage to the main outside box.
It looks like the dings on the wheels were sent that way from your pics. If that is the case, there is no excuse.
I would give them a chance to make it right see what they say.

+1

You should always contact the seller before putting bad word about them online, yes there is damage to the wheels, was it there before shipping? Maybe. But you can't prove 100% that it was there before they shipped it.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I agree, that it looks like they were shipped that way seeing your pics up close. Wow, also realized you bought them WITH the tires........what a huge PITA that is going to be. Sounds like AM needs to have a talk with their tire mounting person.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:34 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm also 100% sure with there customer service they will fix it for you no problem.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

American Muscle is no doubt a great company, and there service beats any other mustang parts shop I have dealt with in the past. I am just putting public information out there so that other people looking to get new wheels can have reference to my experience. If people don't post negative experiences as well as positive ones, what is the point of posting a review?
Old 04-23-2014, 05:53 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Why don't you put on a little touch up paint on them? It's not like they are not going to get scratched up.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry. I'm not touching up something that shouldn't be there to begin with. Besides these wheels come with a 1 year finish warranty. I only plan on having them for a year or so and then selling them. Then I'll go with a lighter wheel. I just have to get tires now, and you can't beat the price on these. By the time I get tires and installation that takes me to $1200. Why not get these for $1500 and resell a year later for $600 or so? Then I had new tires and actually make $300 back as if I'm renting the wheels and tires.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
awe man.. I see these kinds of comments to often!|
I have been waiting to buy some rims and tires from AM
Plan to buy them any day now just getting some things
settled first. I would be choked if they came damaged.
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:09 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

That's the same boat I've been in. I've been looking for about 3 months knowing I need tires, and they show up damaged. I have to say I was a little heart broken.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Fully automatic,

I will post up some good pictures once I get the replacements. Maybe they will help you decide to get them. I will say they look great in person and are the perfect color for what I wanted. If you get them make sure to use the forum discount code. That will save you 6%.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

what's there return like?
Probably a hassle to return the rims and wait for a replacement!
My issue is my current rim on my car is damaged so I can not drive until I replace it!!.. Figured I will save a little and then buy the Saleens that I really want. If they come damaged, hahh would be a pain to get them back to the post office to send them back and I would be waiting even longer..
Old 04-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I worked at UPS and can say the guys sorting your packages in the hubs don't give 2 *****s about how they handle them. The condition of the boxes doesn't surprise me, but I would think the actual wheel should be covered in something or at least the exposed part needs to be protected.

Free shipping you got what you paid for, but I'm not entirely sure they were ALL damaged in transit.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:44 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think it was the transit that damaged them. I believe they were packaged that way.
Old 04-23-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
I don't think it was the transit that damaged them. I believe they were packaged that way.

Yeah they need to have a final inspection, then wrapped or covered in some way, then shipped. These are their brand, wheels that bear their name, clean the stuff off of them too.

I worked in the LMC Truck warehouse as well and ran a night shift shipping team. I know a think or two about packing truck freight/LTL and wouldn't have sent wheels out like that.

Happy note, tomorrow is Friday Eve!
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 06:55 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
i purchased a couple things over the years with am. just recently bought the koni front shock adjustable box also mangled to hell, missing the other shock, and paint chipping. called them they sent another over night be her in the morning. also a gt500 spoiler came with a sizable chunk missing in the center of the spoiler. i asked myself how did no one notice this before it left paint and went into shipping. but again they fixed it next day and gave me a credit, so guess take the good with the bad
lilediselec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 AM   #20
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
I'm sorry to hear that every wheel is damaged. This is very disappointing to hear. I guarantee that when your AMR Wheels left our facility they were not damaged. We would never put a dented, chipped or scratched wheel in a box and ship it out to the customer. As you can see, the boxes are pretty beat up. It's clear that the carrier didn't handle these packages with much care..

That being said, I'll make sure you're 100% taken care of. This is not your fault and you don't have to keep the damaged wheels. If you want a refund, that is fine. However, I would like to try another set out. I'll make sure we through a little extra packaging in the with your Wheels to insure that they get to you safer.

Please shoot me a PM with your order number and I'll make sure you're contacted very shortly!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:55 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for offering to help out, Dan. I just sent you a PM.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:03 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
I'm sorry to hear that every wheel is damaged. This is very disappointing to hear. I guarantee that when your AMR Wheels left our facility they were not damaged. We would never put a dented, chipped or scratched wheel in a box and ship it out to the customer. As you can see, the boxes are pretty beat up. It's clear that the carrier didn't handle these packages with much care..

That being said, I'll make sure you're 100% taken care of. This is not your fault and you don't have to keep the damaged wheels. If you want a refund, that is fine. However, I would like to try another set out. I'll make sure we through a little extra packaging in the with your Wheels to insure that they get to you safer.

Please shoot me a PM with your order number and I'll make sure you're contacted very shortly!

-Dan
AmericanMuscle Customer Service is outstanding! In 4 years of doing business with them with $3000+ in purchases I've only had one product issue. It was on a $49 shift knob that was threaded poorly by the manufacture. AM owned the issue and sent me out a new knob with no additional cost to me.
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:55 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GT View Post
AmericanMuscle Customer Service is outstanding! In 4 years of doing business with them with $3000+ in purchases I've only had one product issue. It was on a $49 shift knob that was threaded poorly by the manufacture. AM owned the issue and sent me out a new knob with no additional cost to me.

I have to agree. I've spent a sizable amount of money with AM and I have to say that their customer service is second to none. That included any service or product company I've dealt with. I hope this incident doesn't change your mind with them. Give them a shot to fix it. I bet they'll exceed your expectations. I'm not one to go around promoting companies but in their case, I will. God knows if they were bad, i'd let it be known.
Crewchief15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I've bought a lot from them, but I got my wheels at Cruzin concepts.
Old 04-24-2014, 12:58 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking a lot at Cruizin Concepts before pulling the trigger on these.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

So here is a quick update. I am not thrilled with the customer service I have gotten so far. I called in today, after emailing the pictures in to AM and was told I have three options. 1.) Get a quote for a local shop to repair the wheels and AM would pay to have them repaired. 2.) Have AM send new wheels and they would pay to have the current TPMS and tires remounted to the new wheels when they arrive. 3.) They will schedule UPS to pick the wheels up within the next 2-3 business days, then once they receive them, they will replace the wheels and ship them out.

This seems like a bit more work than I was wanting to do. Either I have to spend my time having these wheels repaired, or I have to wait a week or longer to get AM to replace them. Apparently they will not ship out the replacements until they get the damaged wheels back. What if I sold my other wheels? That would put me out of a car for a week because of this situation.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:19 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

ahhh see that's what is making me hesitant! after all the bad reviews of wheels showing up damaged!!.. Currently My car is un driveable until I replace the wheels.. So if I was in a situation like yours I wouldn't even be able to go get quotes or work done and who knows how long it would take AM to pay them, you may need to pay out of pocket to have the work done same day!...

Then there is the sketchiness off sending them back and waiting and hoping nothing gets mixed up to where your new rims aren't even sent out or the returned ones are lost in transaction..

Sorry to hear all this man! To bad there isn't a local company you could have just drove down to and selected your wheels! online shopping is a gamble.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So here is a quick update. I am not thrilled with the customer service I have gotten so far. I called in today, after emailing the pictures in to AM and was told I have three options. 1.) Get a quote for a local shop to repair the wheels and AM would pay to have them repaired. 2.) Have AM send new wheels and they would pay to have the current TPMS and tires remounted to the new wheels when they arrive. 3.) They will schedule UPS to pick the wheels up within the next 2-3 business days, then once they receive them, they will replace the wheels and ship them out.

This seems like a bit more work than I was wanting to do. Either I have to spend my time having these wheels repaired, or I have to wait a week or longer to get AM to replace them. Apparently they will not ship out the replacements until they get the damaged wheels back. What if I sold my other wheels? That would put me out of a car for a week because of this situation.

Option 3, where you say wheels, I think you mean wheels and tires. In your situation, you do still have your original wheels and tires on the car yet, and to get yourself taken care of, that is all that really matters right now. If it were me, I think I would go with option 3, but be clear that there should be something over the front and back sides of these wheels so that even if something were to happen to the box, the wheels would still be protected. Maybe they need to place bubble wrap or something over the wheels and then shrink wrap the entire tire up to hold everything in place before putting it in the box. I would also make sure that the solution used for mounting the tires is completely cleaned off before packing. I would also try make sure someone is home when they get delivered so you can inspect the outside of the boxes right away for damage and have the driver document any damage accordingly. If all of the boxes are fine, after the driver leaves I would take pictures of all the boxes, both sides showing that there is no damage. If damage to the wheels is found after unboxing them, you will have proof that it did not happen in shipping since the boxes were fine.

No matter which option you choose, all are going take time.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:36 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Very true. I just really don't have time to deal with these kind of situations. I was told it would take a couple days to schedule UPS to pick them up, so in the meantime I am just going to call a couple shops. I'd rather have a mobile wheel repair person come to my house and repair them on AM's dime, then send them back and hope for the best on the second set.
Old 04-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Part of my paycheck is direct deposited straight to AM every 2 weeks. It's an expensive disease.
-Sorry for the let down. Its a great day when driver pulls up with a delivery of new wheels. AM is great but it doesn't look like "through the box" scratches and dings.
robb15033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 04:03 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

how exactly does AM pay for the damages?
do they just get on the phone with the shop and give them cc info lol
Old 04-24-2014, 04:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure. I was told to get a quote for the repair and to send it to AM to get approval for the repair. This is going to be fun. I spoke to a repair shop on the phone and it is a flat rate of $155 per wheel. That is almost the cost of a brand new wheel. LMAO
Old 04-24-2014, 04:14 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm not sure. I was told to get a quote for the repair and to send it to AM to get approval for the repair. This is going to be fun. I spoke to a repair shop on the phone and it is a flat rate of $155 per wheel. That is almost the cost of a brand new wheel. LMAO

I would just get new wheels. What if you aren't satisfied with the job done? You're stuck in the middle. You're just adding one more piece to the puzzle that can go bad, and bringing a third party into the mix. Don't make a bad situation worse. Just my gut feelings...
Old 04-24-2014, 04:18 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

You are right. I am just getting a quote that I can take back to AM when I call back. The repair would be a fallback after I talk to them again. I don't think it is unreasonable for them to send me a new set with call tags in the boxes to send the damaged ones back. I just don't want to have to wait two weeks or longer to get this taken care of.
Old 04-24-2014, 04:24 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You are right. I am just getting a quote that I can take back to AM when I call back. The repair would be a fallback after I talk to them again. I don't think it is unreasonable for them to send me a new set with call tags in the boxes to send the damaged ones back. I just don't want to have to wait two weeks or longer to get this taken care of.

I hear ya, but you're in it now, you just have to ride it out and be made whole. That's the most important thing.

See if they will give you credit towards a future purchase for your inconvenience.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT