Handling - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-23-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Handling

Hey guys, I own a 2013 Mustang GT! just wondering what would be the best aftermarket part for better handling.. kinda disappointed how the mustang handles on corners. Anything you guys can recommend that's under $900
gtlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
When you start your car step on the break tap the traction control button twice. It puts it in sport mode
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I have an automatic transmission:/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlovin View Post
Hey guys, I own a 2013 Mustang GT! just wondering what would be the best aftermarket part for better handling.. kinda disappointed how the mustang handles on corners. Anything you guys can recommend that's under $900
There isn't just one fix to your problem. If you don't like the handling, you are looking around $2,000 to tighten it up.

You need:
1) Springs
2) Shocks
3) Struts and Mounts
4) Tower, Front and Rear Sway Bars
5) Possibly Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms
6) Adjustable Pan Hard Bar and Bracket

Unfortunately you don't have a "ONE" fix all. Everything works to balance out the ride. Putting on Lowering Springs will put on more weight on the factory shocks and struts.

Ford Racing Assembled Adjustable Handling Pack - Coupe (05-14 GT)
Item # 50498

This is a good starter package. That doesn't include the Upper, Lower Control Arms on the Adj. Pan Hard Bar with Bracket.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
$900 is not a lot to beef up the suspension. If you absolutely want a corner huger buy a cortex racing watts link with a torque arm. Try to find one at the track and you will know it is night and day.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Watts link

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Wow I wish it was just one thing:/ thanks again for the information I appreciate it

Old 04-24-2014, 08:32 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I agree the handling needs serious improvement. My stock suspension on my stock 2010GT with trackpack seemed more planted.

This is what I'm installing next month:
SR Performance Lowering Springs - Coupe (05-14 GT, V6) $159.99
Eibach Pro-Alignment Camber Adjustment Bolts (05-14 All) $34.99
Ford Racing Rear Lower Control Arms (05-14 All) $134.99
BMR Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets (05-14 All) $149.99
SR Performance Adjustable Panhard Bar (05-14 All) $114.99
Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace (05-14 All) $109

If I'm still not where I want to be after all that I will be adding Eibach sway bars, Koni shocks and struts. That will run me another $800+. Total will be around $1500 in parts
$109.99
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich7072 View Post
When you start your car step on the break tap the traction control button twice. It puts it in sport mode

This just blew my mind.
GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GT View Post
I agree the handling needs serious improvement. My stock suspension on my stock 2010GT with trackpack seemed more planted.

This is what I'm installing next month:
SR Performance Lowering Springs - Coupe (05-14 GT, V6) $159.99
Eibach Pro-Alignment Camber Adjustment Bolts (05-14 All) $34.99
Ford Racing Rear Lower Control Arms (05-14 All) $134.99
BMR Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets (05-14 All) $149.99
SR Performance Adjustable Panhard Bar (05-14 All) $114.99
Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace (05-14 All) $109

If I'm still not where I want to be after all that I will be adding Eibach sway bars, Koni shocks and struts. That will run me another $800+. Total will be around $1500 in parts
$109.99

You don't need to replace the sway bars. The ones that come with the 14' gt are solid and will work with your new setup. I got the camber bolts that I can sell you for $30 shipped. They are new as I did not need them.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtlovin View Post
I have an automatic transmission:/

You can still put it in sport mode on the auto, foot on the brake(can be barely on it) and tap TC twice. This is the only way I drive.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 08:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
You don't need to replace the sway bars. The ones that come with the 14' gt are solid and will work with your new setup. I got the camber bolts that I can sell you for $30 shipped. They are new as I did not need them.
I already have the bolts but thanks. Springs, lca, panhard bars going on tomorrow. Yeah!!!

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
Old 04-24-2014, 09:14 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Press the brake and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds turns off all the safety features I was told. Different animal

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dapope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:54 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Talking

I experienced a big improvement on the ride/handling, just by installing KONI shocks together with STEEDA Sport springs. Next on my list adjustable swaybars.
That will take care of it, plus much better tires like Michelin' Super Sports.
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:56 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I forget to mention at later, probably watts links to have a semi IRS driving control.
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post
I forget to mention at later, probably watts links to have a semi IRS driving control.
I'm looking hard at the Fays watts link.

Hey M3hunter. how long have you had the koni strt? would you buy again?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go strt or yellows. I don't track the car so I'm thinking strt would hit the spot but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #17

Handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
You can still put it in sport mode on the auto, foot on the brake(can be barely on it) and tap TC twice. This is the only way I drive.

Though I'm pretty sure sport mode will not let you hug corners any tighter. You can engage while rolling too, at least I can in my 2012 GT Brembo.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:58 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
Though I'm pretty sure sport mode will not let you hug corners any tighter. You can engage while rolling too, at least I can in my 2012 GT Brembo.

Yeah, I can too, just barely have the break pressed, and tap TC twice. I normally do it when I start the car.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 09:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Talking

Quote:
I'm looking hard at the Fays watts link.

Hey M3hunter. how long have you had the koni strt? would you buy again?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go strt or yellows. I don't track the car so I'm thinking strt would hit the spot but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.
About 3 years with them, almost since I bought my 5.0, I hated the feeling of the stock ones, they felt like I was riding a horse. After I installed them with my STEEDA Sport springs, it was a day and nite difference, for spirited driving the STRT ones are great, if you go to the track and like to adjust them, then get the yellow ones.
I'm planing one day to take my 5.0 to the track, but at that point I will fine tune with adjustable swaybars.
All of them I got them from Strano. Very satisfied, now I'm just waiting for my sways. Enjoy!!
Old 04-27-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3hunter View Post
About 3 years with them, almost since I bought my 5.0, I hated the feeling of the stock ones, they felt like I was riding a horse. After I installed them with my STEEDA Sport springs, it was a day and nite difference, for spirited driving the STRT ones are great, if you go to the track and like to adjust them, then get the yellow ones.
I'm planing one day to take my 5.0 to the track, but at that point I will fine tune with adjustable swaybars.
All of them I got them from Strano. Very satisfied, now I'm just waiting for my sways. Enjoy!!
Awesome thanks

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 04-27-2014, 10:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich7072 View Post
Does this also include 2014 GT's?
Mine just has a push button to turn traction control on/off...

I hadn't heard about this "sport mode" stuff!!!
fivepointwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 11:08 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointwut View Post
Does this also include 2014 GT's?
Mine just has a push button to turn traction control on/off...

I hadn't heard about this "sport mode" stuff!!!
Yes on the 2014. Push twice quickly
Old 04-28-2014, 08:52 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
...with foot on brake slightly....

Tires are your best bet, first. I guess you didn't buy the Brembo brake package or Track package so, there there is some additional complaining justified if you're on the stock boingers and marshmallow rubber.

Getting rid of the all-season P Zero Neros will dramatically improve the car. Nitto Invos, Michelin Super Sports, even BFG Sport Comp 2s will blow those things away. Try that before you modify any hard parts.

There is no cheap way to do what you want. A watts link alone on the rear is likely just going to make the car push like a child's red wagon. Save some money, do some research, spend it right on a package that will work for you, first time, and head on down the road.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 12:16 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I've personally built over 1k suspensions ranging from time trial cars to normal dd mustangs. Guys recommending getting a torque arm and watts link are a bit nuts if you want someone to get those before getting upgraded dampers. Struts and shocks are the base to a suspension and its key that you find parts that compliment eachother, throwing a suspension together that cost 5k doesn't mean its good, it just means its expensive. Finding the right springs to go with dampers that suit your type of driving is what you want to find. A watts link and torque arm without proper dampening is a car that well.... still.... won't be able to corner as well as a car with better dampers.

Yes, you can find a decent suspension for around 1-2k as well. 900 really won't get you all the way there, depending on your goals. If your car is just a DD with no track time then we could make that 900 work for you, if you want to take your car to the track, strip, etc then we should work on it a little more.

Just my 2 cents

Also 5LHO is correct on the tires however, tires are expensive and you can get tires that outperform your suspension.... this can be very frustrating.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yes on the 2014. Push twice quickly
So what exactly does this sport mode do?
All I've noticed is that it turns off traction control also! Lol
Old 04-28-2014, 02:24 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

I have spent $2k on mine already. If I had to do it all over I would start with this mod (after getting good tires of course):
http://performance.importrp.com/i-68...FSdn7AodmkQAFg
Old 04-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #27

Handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointwut View Post
So what exactly does this sport mode do?
All I've noticed is that it turns off traction control also! Lol

It doesn't completely turn off traction control. It relaxes the nannies. You can break the rear tires loose a bit (not burnouts) but it will keep you mostly straight. Basically it's a compromise between full traction control and no traction control. It's how I generally drive, it gives you a longer leash to hammer the throttle down without cutting fuel.

It does not make you able to corner better unless you intend to rear wheel drift (maybe it will not allow that, never tried it).
Old 04-28-2014, 09:20 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyobohunter View Post
It doesn't completely turn off traction control. It relaxes the nannies. You can break the rear tires loose a bit (not burnouts) but it will keep you mostly straight. Basically it's a compromise between full traction control and no traction control. It's how I generally drive, it gives you a longer leash to hammer the throttle down without cutting fuel.

It does not make you able to corner better unless you intend to rear wheel drift (maybe it will not allow that, never tried it).
Well explained!!! Thanks a lot!
Old 04-30-2014, 08:26 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I find sport mode to be more engaging than having full traction control on. You can steer into corners a bit more agressive. The ride feels a bit "busier" though when you're driving it non aggressively . I guess it depends on what mood I'm in.
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:19 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayman33 View Post
I've personally built over 1k suspensions ranging from time trial cars to normal dd mustangs.
***Jay I might PM you a list of my intended suspension mods for some input, if that's alright. Could use some expert input into what I'm looking at.***

OP, from what I see 900bucks won't get you very far with suspension work. Seems most guys start off with springs (around 200-300 bucks) and a panhard bar (another 200ish). Might as well do the dampers with them, figure 180 for the front shocks and 200 for the rear struts. Word on the street is you'll need the GT500 strutmounts for the aftermarket stuff, which is another $200. You'll want camber bolts or camberplates to realign your tires after being lowered, figure $30 for bolts or $300-$400 for plates (plates give you much more control & reliability, but are 10x the price). From there, you'll want to do the control arms to keep the wheel hop to a minimum; 250-350 for an upper control arm, around 150-200 for the lowers.

That's what I'd consider the 'basics' of building the S197 suspension. You can very easily go into sway bars for around 300-400 bucks (though I hear the factory ones are pretty solid), a watts link setup ($900 for the whiteline one that comes with the aftermarket differential cover, Soccerluvr likes the griggs one that sells for about $800), Kframes and subframe connectors, coilover kits, ENERGY suspension bushings etc etc etc. Get this far, and you'll be more than capable of effectively tracking the car - go M3 hunting, or go scare the pants off of the new Z/28

And all of this is excluding tires, which play a major role. The 255 Mickey Thompsons I'm lookin at are ~$240 a tire, so figure a cool 1000-1100 for tires plus mount and balance

IMO if you manage to build the 'basics' for under $2,000 (with installing yourself & assuming you have the tools required) you've managed to cut a decent deal. Figure another 120ish for a decent alignment.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:39 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

You can also piece it together like I did:
Ford Foose 05-10' shocks struts springs on fleabay $350
Gt500 mounts on amazon warehouse $90
Hotchkis ibeam LCAs on AM clearance $170
Spohn del sphere UCA on fleabay $110
Steeda competition 36mm front sway bar $160
Ford racing 22mm rear sway bar $150
Ford racing jounce pads $30
For a total of $1060.
Installing all this myself $priceless lol
Old 05-01-2014, 07:38 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
***Jay I might PM you a list of my intended suspension mods for some input, if that's alright. Could use some expert input into what I'm looking at.***

OP, from what I see 900bucks won't get you very far with suspension work. Seems most guys start off with springs (around 200-300 bucks) and a panhard bar (another 200ish). Might as well do the dampers with them, figure 180 for the front shocks and 200 for the rear struts. Word on the street is you'll need the GT500 strutmounts for the aftermarket stuff, which is another $200. You'll want camber bolts or camberplates to realign your tires after being lowered, figure $30 for bolts or $300-$400 for plates (plates give you much more control & reliability, but are 10x the price). From there, you'll want to do the control arms to keep the wheel hop to a minimum; 250-350 for an upper control arm, around 150-200 for the lowers.

That's what I'd consider the 'basics' of building the S197 suspension. You can very easily go into sway bars for around 300-400 bucks (though I hear the factory ones are pretty solid), a watts link setup ($900 for the whiteline one that comes with the aftermarket differential cover, Soccerluvr likes the griggs one that sells for about $800), Kframes and subframe connectors, coilover kits, ENERGY suspension bushings etc etc etc. Get this far, and you'll be more than capable of effectively tracking the car - go M3 hunting, or go scare the pants off of the new Z/28

And all of this is excluding tires, which play a major role. The 255 Mickey Thompsons I'm lookin at are ~$240 a tire, so figure a cool 1000-1100 for tires plus mount and balance

IMO if you manage to build the 'basics' for under $2,000 (with installing yourself & assuming you have the tools required) you've managed to cut a decent deal. Figure another 120ish for a decent alignment.

Sounds good brother.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
***Jay I might PM you a list of my intended suspension mods for some input, if that's alright. Could use some expert input into what I'm looking at.*** OP, from what I see 900bucks won't get you very far with suspension work. Seems most guys start off with springs (around 200-300 bucks) and a panhard bar (another 200ish). Might as well do the dampers with them, figure 180 for the front shocks and 200 for the rear struts. Word on the street is you'll need the GT500 strutmounts for the aftermarket stuff, which is another $200. You'll want camber bolts or camberplates to realign your tires after being lowered, figure $30 for bolts or $300-$400 for plates (plates give you much more control & reliability, but are 10x the price). From there, you'll want to do the control arms to keep the wheel hop to a minimum; 250-350 for an upper control arm, around 150-200 for the lowers. That's what I'd consider the 'basics' of building the S197 suspension. You can very easily go into sway bars for around 300-400 bucks (though I hear the factory ones are pretty solid), a watts link setup ($900 for the whiteline one that comes with the aftermarket differential cover, Soccerluvr likes the griggs one that sells for about $800), Kframes and subframe connectors, coilover kits, ENERGY suspension bushings etc etc etc. Get this far, and you'll be more than capable of effectively tracking the car - go M3 hunting, or go scare the pants off of the new Z/28 And all of this is excluding tires, which play a major role. The 255 Mickey Thompsons I'm lookin at are ~$240 a tire, so figure a cool 1000-1100 for tires plus mount and balance IMO if you manage to build the 'basics' for under $2,000 (with installing yourself & assuming you have the tools required) you've managed to cut a decent deal. Figure another 120ish for a decent alignment.
Just FYI GT500 mounts + camber bolts are around $230 & $ CC plates are around $250-$350 both combos do the same thing basically & like u said CC plates are MUCH better than bolts!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT