Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Handling

3K views 32 replies 16 participants last post by  Oh2freshstang 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I own a 2013 Mustang GT! just wondering what would be the best aftermarket part for better handling.. kinda disappointed how the mustang handles on corners. Anything you guys can recommend that's under $900

#11 ·
You can still put it in sport mode on the auto, foot on the brake(can be barely on it) and tap TC twice. This is the only way I drive.

#4 · (Edited)
There isn't just one fix to your problem. If you don't like the handling, you are looking around $2,000 to tighten it up.

You need:
1) Springs
2) Shocks
3) Struts and Mounts
4) Tower, Front and Rear Sway Bars
5) Possibly Adjustable Upper and Lower Rear Control Arms
6) Adjustable Pan Hard Bar and Bracket

Unfortunately you don't have a "ONE" fix all. Everything works to balance out the ride. Putting on Lowering Springs will put on more weight on the factory shocks and struts.

Ford Racing Assembled Adjustable Handling Pack - Coupe (05-14 GT)
Item # 50498

This is a good starter package. That doesn't include the Upper, Lower Control Arms on the Adj. Pan Hard Bar with Bracket.

#8 · (Edited)
I agree the handling needs serious improvement. My stock suspension on my stock 2010GT with trackpack seemed more planted.

This is what I'm installing next month:
SR Performance Lowering Springs - Coupe (05-14 GT, V6) $159.99
http://store.yahoo.com/mustangtuning/eibach-proalign-bolts-0512.htmlEibach Pro-Alignment Camber Adjustment Bolts (05-14 All) $34.99
Ford Racing Rear Lower Control Arms (05-14 All) $134.99
http://store.yahoo.com/mustangtuning/bmr-lca-relocationbracket-0512.htmlBMR Rear Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets (05-14 All) $149.99
SR Performance Adjustable Panhard Bar (05-14 All) $114.99
http://store.yahoo.com/mustangtuning/whiteline-panhard-supportbrace-0513.htmlWhiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace (05-14 All) $109

If I'm still not where I want to be after all that I will be adding Eibach sway bars, Koni shocks and struts. That will run me another $800+. Total will be around $1500 in parts
$109.99

#14 ·
I experienced a big improvement on the ride/handling, just by installing KONI shocks together with STEEDA Sport springs. Next on my list adjustable swaybars.
That will take care of it, plus much better tires like Michelin' Super Sports.

#15 ·
I forget to mention at later, probably watts links to have a semi IRS driving control.

#16 ·
I'm looking hard at the Fays watts link.

Hey M3hunter. how long have you had the koni strt? would you buy again?

I'm trying to decide if I want to go strt or yellows. I don't track the car so I'm thinking strt would hit the spot but I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger.

#23 ·
...with foot on brake slightly....

Tires are your best bet, first. I guess you didn't buy the Brembo brake package or Track package so, there there is some additional complaining justified if you're on the stock boingers and marshmallow rubber.

Getting rid of the all-season P Zero Neros will dramatically improve the car. Nitto Invos, Michelin Super Sports, even BFG Sport Comp 2s will blow those things away. Try that before you modify any hard parts.

There is no cheap way to do what you want. A watts link alone on the rear is likely just going to make the car push like a child's red wagon. Save some money, do some research, spend it right on a package that will work for you, first time, and head on down the road.

#24 ·
I've personally built over 1k suspensions ranging from time trial cars to normal dd mustangs. Guys recommending getting a torque arm and watts link are a bit nuts if you want someone to get those before getting upgraded dampers. Struts and shocks are the base to a suspension and its key that you find parts that compliment eachother, throwing a suspension together that cost 5k doesn't mean its good, it just means its expensive. Finding the right springs to go with dampers that suit your type of driving is what you want to find. A watts link and torque arm without proper dampening is a car that well.... still.... won't be able to corner as well as a car with better dampers.

Yes, you can find a decent suspension for around 1-2k as well. 900 really won't get you all the way there, depending on your goals. If your car is just a DD with no track time then we could make that 900 work for you, if you want to take your car to the track, strip, etc then we should work on it a little more.

Just my 2 cents

Also 5LHO is correct on the tires however, tires are expensive and you can get tires that outperform your suspension.... this can be very frustrating.

#30 ·
I've personally built over 1k suspensions ranging from time trial cars to normal dd mustangs.
***Jay I might PM you a list of my intended suspension mods for some input, if that's alright. Could use some expert input into what I'm looking at.***

OP, from what I see 900bucks won't get you very far with suspension work. Seems most guys start off with springs (around 200-300 bucks) and a panhard bar (another 200ish). Might as well do the dampers with them, figure 180 for the front shocks and 200 for the rear struts. Word on the street is you'll need the GT500 strutmounts for the aftermarket stuff, which is another $200. You'll want camber bolts or camberplates to realign your tires after being lowered, figure $30 for bolts or $300-$400 for plates (plates give you much more control & reliability, but are 10x the price). From there, you'll want to do the control arms to keep the wheel hop to a minimum; 250-350 for an upper control arm, around 150-200 for the lowers.

That's what I'd consider the 'basics' of building the S197 suspension. You can very easily go into sway bars for around 300-400 bucks (though I hear the factory ones are pretty solid), a watts link setup ($900 for the whiteline one that comes with the aftermarket differential cover, Soccerluvr likes the griggs one that sells for about $800), Kframes and subframe connectors, coilover kits, ENERGY suspension bushings etc etc etc. Get this far, and you'll be more than capable of effectively tracking the car - go M3 hunting, or go scare the pants off of the new Z/28 :lol:

And all of this is excluding tires, which play a major role. The 255 Mickey Thompsons I'm lookin at are ~$240 a tire, so figure a cool 1000-1100 for tires plus mount and balance :dance:

IMO if you manage to build the 'basics' for under $2,000 (with installing yourself & assuming you have the tools required) you've managed to cut a decent deal. Figure another 120ish for a decent alignment.

#31 ·
You can also piece it together like I did:
Ford Foose 05-10' shocks struts springs on fleabay $350
Gt500 mounts on amazon warehouse $90
Hotchkis ibeam LCAs on AM clearance $170
Spohn del sphere UCA on fleabay $110
Steeda competition 36mm front sway bar $160
Ford racing 22mm rear sway bar $150
Ford racing jounce pads $30
For a total of $1060.
Installing all this myself $priceless lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.