Quarter window louvers - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2014, 01:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quarter window louvers

Hey yall! So I wanna get some quarter window louvers for my car but hearing bad things about them? Im looking at some MMD ones from AMuscle and they are about $189 or something like that. I think they look awesome and they do make the car look alot different but I just dont want to have problems with them.

I mean water stuck in there that I cant dry, spotting of inside window, them coming off/stolen, plastic warping. Has anyone had these issues or are they good to go? Also heard there are some aluminum ones and plastic. Im planning on getting them painted to match my car but please guys holla at me!!
dabishop25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I have had mine on for almost a year, been through car washes multiple times and has stood time against the Arizona heat. As far as someone stealing them, i'd wish em luck because it will take some elbow grease to remove them lol.

Now keep in mind, the ones i got are from american muscle, so i can't speak as for other companies products but theirs is a +1 for sure.
Old 04-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBulldog View Post
I have had mine on for almost a year, been through car washes multiple times and has stood time against the Arizona heat. As far as someone stealing them, i'd wish em luck because it will take some elbow grease to remove them lol.

Now keep in mind, the ones i got are from american muscle, so i can't speak as for other companies products but theirs is a +1 for sure.
Oh cool bud! Yes these are the plastic ones from AM, I believe brand are MMD and Im getting them painted. In Phoenix! WOW that weather is damn hot!!! So was it difficult doing it or you just did it with the 3M tape they give you>?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 02:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabishop25 View Post
Oh cool bud! Yes these are the plastic ones from AM, I believe brand are MMD and Im getting them painted. In Phoenix! WOW that weather is damn hot!!! So was it difficult doing it or you just did it with the 3M tape they give you>?
Yup! i think the only way doing it is with the double sided tape that it comes with, luckily it's not the cheap 3m double sided tape you can buy strips of at like target. This tape is heavy duty, i looked it up incase i had to remove the louvers and the roll cost $70 bucks :/
Old 04-24-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanBulldog View Post
Yup! i think the only way doing it is with the double sided tape that it comes with, luckily it's not the cheap 3m double sided tape you can buy strips of at like target. This tape is heavy duty, i looked it up incase i had to remove the louvers and the roll cost $70 bucks :/
AmericanBulldog! Thanks man I appreciate it! Im gonna order them today, I think they are $184.99 plus we get and extra 6% off that price! Looks pretty easy to install. Did you get yours painted? Which ones do you have?
Old 04-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I ordered them pre-painted, didn't want the hassle of having to get them painted.

MMD Painted Mustang Quarter Window Louvers - AmericanMuscle.com 71303 (05-14 All) - Free Shipping
Old 04-24-2014, 05:18 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

MMD are a bit of a hassle to line up perfectly. Don't watch the AM install video and think that all you have to do is tape it and slap it on. If you do that I guarantee both sides are off. And if you don't carefully select the spot you stick it on corners of the louver will not be flush with the curves of the car.

Also AM paints it inhouse. My louvers had bubbles and dust particles on some parts of it. Can't buff it off cuz they're in it pretty deep.

If you do order it call them and ask them to open it up and make sure its flawless else you'll waste time sending it back and waiting for the new one to get here.

AM tried send me a new one but I installed it without thinking twice with the original ones. It's a pain to take off and realign new ones again and I just kept the spotty painted ones.

AM is great. Service is 100% and I would recommend you buying from them. Just ask them to make sure the items are good to go.

I ordered the black billet grilles. They were slightly bent and wavy. I could probably make better ones with machines at home. Parts of the grille is starting to rust. I just cleaned the area and spot painted it with black touch up.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Oh but the louvers won't go anywhere. I tried ripping it off but the tape is pretty solid.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My louvers were part of the FP8 Appearance package from the factory. Yes, your rear windows will get dirty. No, you can't clean them, or at least you can't wipe them dry after cleaning them with a spray washer so you will have spots.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Properly cured 3M tape is damn difficult to remove. They are one there for good. I have the factory louvers from the FP6 appearance package. No one's gonna steal them.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 05:44 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have the same AM side louvers and very happy with them. My paint was perfect. Lined up perfect, and on tight.
I also have tint, so I don't notice any water spots. If u are concerned about water spots, just use a spotless water solution after washing...they dry spotless.
Good luck,
Troy
Old 04-24-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Well... I guess I won't be replacing mine with Matte black ones...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Carbon Fiber Louvers look great on SGM Mustangs. Goes with all of our other CF parts, but is a good look and wont warp like plastic.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
MMD are a bit of a hassle to line up perfectly. Don't watch the AM install video and think that all you have to do is tape it and slap it on. If you do that I guarantee both sides are off. And if you don't carefully select the spot you stick it on corners of the louver will not be flush with the curves of the car.

Also AM paints it inhouse. My louvers had bubbles and dust particles on some parts of it. Can't buff it off cuz they're in it pretty deep.

If you do order it call them and ask them to open it up and make sure its flawless else you'll waste time sending it back and waiting for the new one to get here.

DallasStang! thanks for your input bud! Its sounds like you know what your talking about! Good info to go off of. I had a problem with AM myself already but the guys out there were awesome and made it right quick! So they have my business!

AM tried send me a new one but I installed it without thinking twice with the original ones. It's a pain to take off and realign new ones again and I just kept the spotty painted ones.

AM is great. Service is 100% and I would recommend you buying from them. Just ask them to make sure the items are good to go.

I ordered the black billet grilles. They were slightly bent and wavy. I could probably make better ones with machines at home. Parts of the grille is starting to rust. I just cleaned the area and spot painted it with black touch up.
Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Well I really wasnt worried to much about water spots as much as I was with water sitting in there and not being able to drain. I like those carbon fiber ones! Look nice and I do have a SGM CS! SO, Im still debating.

I have my own parking at work and a garage at home but I let my wife drive it sometimes and well, lets remember the mall is just a bad place to be! (i do make her park far though)
Old 04-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #16

Region: Georgia
Just bought a Gray 2014 GT and took off the louvers and side door scoops because I'm not a fan of how they look. They are sitting in my garage needing a new home, so if you or anyone is interested, PM me.
jrapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 08:57 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I have the side louvers on mine, haven't had any issues with water inside

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dapope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the replies and comments.... I went ahead and went with the MMD ones from AM painted in SGM to match my car! Hopefully everything goes good with install? Any suggestions/advice on install would be great also! Everyone have a nice weekend and be safe!!
Old 04-26-2014, 10:27 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I lined it up before removing tape backing and put two pieces of blue tape to align along two edges. Then clean and remove backing and install adjacent to ur tapes marks.
Easy cheesy.
Troy
Old 04-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yes use masking tape to carefully measure and line up the louvers. Else you may have one side a bit off compared to the other.
Old 04-26-2014, 12:28 PM   #21

Region: Georgia
if anyone is interested in OEM Sterling Gray Louvers or Side Scoops taken off a brand new 2014 GT, contact me via this link.

parts are in Atlanta.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/pts/4441361609.html
jrapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 06:12 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
I lined it up before removing tape backing and put two pieces of blue tape to align along two edges. Then clean and remove backing and install adjacent to ur tapes marks.
Easy cheesy.
Troy
Did you use the covers for the inside that it came with?? whats the point in them lol? and you used the tape that AM provided or you bought some different one?
Old 05-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post

Ok so what kind of tape did you use to put yours on? I just got mine this morning and want to do it. I go the 3M tape that AMuscle provided. Did you use the covers for the inside of your car?
Old 05-07-2014, 06:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I ordered mine on AM and asked for velcro because I want to take them out to clean the windows.
Riko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I think the OEM louvers are installed with Velcro.
Riko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 07:03 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

We are installing the SilverHorse Racing flush mount louvers next week. Wanted to change up a bit.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:47 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I did not use the black vinyl over the windows. I have them tinted like the side windows, and wanted some vis...albeit a very minute amount!
I used the supplied 3m tape. It is very strong. Not much of a gap really, but just a small amount so it can drain. No issues at all.
Troy
Old 05-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did not use the black vinyl over the windows. I have them tinted like the side windows, and wanted some vis...albeit a very minute amount!
I used the supplied 3m tape. It is very strong. Not much of a gap really, but just a small amount so it can drain. No issues at all.
Troy
Oh ok cool, thanks for getting back to me. I opened them and was slightly weirded out by them. I agree, want a little bit of light still coming in. Yea the tape does look different from normal double sided tape, seems fairly easy but previous post guy said, dont think you can watch AM video and think its that easy cuz its not! So thats why Ive been asking so many questions
Old 05-07-2014, 09:17 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Very easy. Just make triple sure they are lined up. They are NOT coming off! Use the activator in the little square packets to wipe on the 3m also.
Good luck.
Troy
Old 05-07-2014, 09:20 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Put them on the correct side also. There is a few people on this forum, that post pictures of there cars with them upside down.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 09:23 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Put them on the correct side also. There is a few people on this forum, that post pictures of there cars with them upside down.

lol Ive heard people say that! How can you put them upside down, I mean looks pretty straight forward? Do you have them also Rapinator?
Old 05-07-2014, 09:25 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol Ive heard people say that! How can you put them upside down, I mean looks pretty straight forward? Do you have them also Rapinator?
They get put on upside down, BC they stick them on the opposite sides.

No bud I had them on my roush, but not on my coyote.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Very easy. Just make triple sure they are lined up. They are NOT coming off! Use the activator in the little square packets to wipe on the 3m also.
Good luck.
Troy
Ok cool thanks! I wish it wasnt so windy today or else I'd do it!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:31 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
They get put on upside down, BC they stick them on the opposite sides.

No bud I had them on my roush, but not on my coyote.

sweet! thanks for the heads up man!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
sweet! thanks for the heads up man!
Curved edge goes up top. Flat goes on bottom.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT