ECU counter reset - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-24-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
ECU counter reset

Has anybody ever heard of a device that will reset the flash counter of an ECU? I know a guy that says he has one. He says there is probably only 12 people in the county that has one. What do you all think?
first.stang14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2014, 10:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Interesting...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Steeda CAI, Borla axle back & BBK X pipe
And Jon (Godfather tuner) Lund tune
knight5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
It sounds like you'll believe anything..........
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2014, 04:52 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by first.stang14 View Post
Has anybody ever heard of a device that will reset the flash counter of an ECU? I know a guy that says he has one. He says there is probably only 12 people in the county that has one. What do you all think?
Is this person willing to "pony up" any source?

I'm finding it difficult to believe that Ford would make this parameter in the ECU "updateable". It's purpose is to allow Ford the ability to know a ECU has been flashed at any time so to despute warranty issues that could arise pertaining to an engine failure due to a tune being installed.

If indeed there is a device that erases the counter, then it won't be long before Ford corrects this.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:56 AM   #5
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
I'm sure it's possible. I would need to see proof b4 I would believe it
Old 04-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

that's the thing, it's not that it resets it, you would need a way to stop it from being reset when a tune is flashed. when a tune is flashed it resets the start cycles from what I've heard/read, if your car is 3yrs old with 20k miles and only has 5 start cycles, then obviously there is some shenanigans going on

sent from my S4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-25-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
that's the thing, it's not that it resets it, you would need a way to stop it from being reset when a tune is flashed. when a tune is flashed it resets the start cycles from what I've heard/read, if your car is 3yrs old with 20k miles and only has 5 start cycles, then obviously there is some shenanigans going on

If that's the case, I should be fine then. I tuned mine with 4k miles on it. I doubt that's the case.
Crewchief15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewchief15 View Post
If that's the case, I should be fine then. I tuned mine with 4k miles on it. I doubt that's the case.
well that's the catch, if you're referring to being tuned, then having a motor issue, you'll need to flash back to stock to take it into the dealership, that will trip the red flag

Old 04-25-2014, 03:58 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know why some people think this is an impossible task. I can "jailbreak" iPhones, "root" android phones and if they break I can return them back to factory and make them look like they have never been hacked when i send them in to get warranty work. Same thing goes for computers. Now an ECU is a computer and it is not anymore high tech than any other device. So I do believe there is a device out there that can do that.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I don't know why some people think this is an impossible task. I can "jailbreak" iPhones, "root" android phones and if they break I can return them back to factory and make them look like they have never been hacked when i send them in to get warranty work. Same thing goes for computers. Now an ECU is a computer and it is not anymore high tech than any other device. So I do believe there is a device out there that can do that.
Cool. You've done it? Can you post a how to?
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
lol are you really comparing rooting/jail breaking a $600 phone to fooling the engineers of a $30k+ car? bottom line they know you tuned the car, figuring out how to fool the ecm is not as easy as rooting your smart phone, hell the S4 I'm typing this on is rooted by me, and I sure as hell wouldn't know where to begin with the copperhead ecm lol

Old 04-26-2014, 12:11 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I am not comparing a phone to a car. I am comparing a computer to a computer. I know that it wouldn't be easy for me, i wouldn't even know where to begin because i don't know nothing about ECU's. But i am sure some car guys could figure it out. It's only a matter of time, if there isn't already a way to do it.
Old 04-26-2014, 01:27 AM   #13

Wouldn't be THAT hard. Just ask a Ford tech how they verify that the vehicle has been tuned. If its a counter in the PCM, spoof the counter. If its a start cycle, spoof that number. Just need someone with some programming knowledge to hook up with a tuner.
k0261886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:00 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What you're saying is just the same as people saying its impossible. Instead you just say its not impossible but you have neither done it yourself, know someone who's done it, or have any info about how to do it.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT