19vs20s on a '14 GT - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-26-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

19vs20s on a '14 GT

Hey guys, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of AMRs from AM. I have a black '14 GT and I wanna go with charcoal.
I'm having a hard time choosing between 19s or 20s. I don't go to the track, the only mods that I might add in the future are an axle back exhaust (Magnaflow or Roush) and maybe some suspension items.

Just wanted to know if the performance and handling will change significantly between 19s and 20s. Currently I have 18s.
ILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 12:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
19s make for expensive tire choices, as only oems use them regularly and only on specialized models, typically. 20s make for reduced power to the wheels because of their mass. Cars tend to dyno less on 20s.

So, based upon your predicted use, this is an appearance mod so, it really doesn't matter. Go 20.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:19 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The price is the same for 19s and 20s with Sumitomo tires. But there is a huge difference in price if I go with NITTO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I have the 20 inch amr's on my 14 black gt I'm also lowered so if u want u can look at my pics
Old 04-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

20s look much better. Have you seen and performance or handling changes when you switched to 20s?
Old 04-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Many more available choices for sizes and pricing on 20" tires these days, over 19s.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

19vs20s on a '14 GT

I have wider tires out back so I do feel more traction, handling wise you cant feel to much of a change, lowering the car was a big difference in handling
Old 04-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
U can't go wrong with either! I personally have 19s & love them. I like that 19s have a little more sidewall than 20s but it's probably not that much different.
Old 04-26-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I switched from 19" with pzeros to 20" with nittos about two months ago. Really can't tell any different in performance outside of what new tires do. I did lose about 1 mpg after the switch, but that's nbd.
Gk1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 03:16 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gk1million View Post
I switched from 19" with pzeros to 20" with nittos about two months ago. Really can't tell any different in performance outside of what new tires do. I did lose about 1 mpg after the switch, but that's nbd.

I have 18s Pzeros right now. How do you like nittos? I was thinking to go with Sumitomo.
Old 04-26-2014, 04:59 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLY View Post
The price is the same for 19s and 20s with Sumitomo tires. But there is a huge difference in price if I go with NITTO.

American muscle wants a lot for the nitto tires check tire rack I found them a lot less.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have 18s Pzeros right now. How do you like nittos? I was thinking to go with Sumitomo.
Sumis are good if u want a long life out of the tires. I think there good DD tires but they hook only ok at best. I hear MT street comps are a really good tire!
Old 04-26-2014, 06:00 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
American muscle wants a lot for the nitto tires check tire rack I found them a lot less.

I have to buy them from AM because I'm getting AMRs. You can't find AMRs anywhere else, plus I like AM. I wi go with Sumitomo tires, still haven't decide for the rim size. I like the 20s but I'm still hesitant because I drive my stang "like I stole it"
Old 04-26-2014, 06:01 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If you buy your tires from am also check tire racks price and have am match it.
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntbruncie View Post
If you buy your tires from am also check tire racks price and have am match it.

Will do but getting the wheel-tire combo with free mounting, balancing, shipping, and with the 6% discount code I don't think I will find anything cheaper. It doesn't hurt to double check though
Old 04-26-2014, 06:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
19's. Are the perfect fit on the 10-14's. Only tires that are good for a street/ DD tire are the street comps or bfg kdw's or like from bfg. 555's suck. So do the sumi's, as well as invos. As so on

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 07:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
19's. Are the perfect fit on the 10-14's. Only tires that are good for a street/ DD tire are the street comps or bfg kdw's or like from bfg. 555's suck. So do the sumi's, as well as invos. As so on

I agree that 19s are a perfect fit. I'm just try to find out how much in handling and performance I'm loosing if I choose 20s vs 19s. Is it that noticeable?
Old 04-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree that 19s are a perfect fit. I'm just try to find out how much in handling and performance I'm loosing if I choose 20s vs 19s. Is it that noticeable?
Really depends on what wheel you go with. If you are set on 20's go with forgestars. As they only weigh about 25lbs a piece for the 20's.

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 08:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Really depends on what wheel you go with. If you are set on 20's go with forgestars. As they only weigh about 25lbs a piece for the 20's.

I'm going with AMRs. Can't beat the price and they look good.
Old 04-26-2014, 09:22 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a set of AMRs from AM. I have a black '14 GT and I wanna go with charcoal.
I'm having a hard time choosing between 19s or 20s. I don't go to the track, the only mods that I might add in the future are an axle back exhaust (Magnaflow or Roush) and maybe some suspension items.

Just wanted to know if the performance and handling will change significantly between 19s and 20s. Currently I have 18s.
One question, are you plan on lowering your car and how much. Opps, that's two.

The lower and the less clearance you have. I was considering the 19's, I lowered my car 1". SO since I am giving up 1" in dropping the car, I decided not to go with the 19's. They are sometimes more expensive and you don't have the choices on the 19's.

Are you going to get staggered wheels and tires?

Good Luck on your choice.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 09:28 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
One question, are you plan on lowering your car and how much. Opps, that's two.

The lower and the less clearance you have. I was considering the 19's, I lowered my car 1". SO since I am giving up 1" in dropping the car, I decided not to go with the 19's. They are sometimes more expensive and you don't have the choices on the 19's.

Are you going to get staggered wheels and tires?

Good Luck on your choice.

I probably will lower the car about 1.5 inches. I'm looking at SR performance lowering springs.

I'm getting AMRs so the choice is not a problem, they have 18s, 19s, and 20s. I'm getting the Sumitomo tire set. Standard, not staggered.
Old 04-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Be sure to check the wheels for cosmetic damage upon delivery. I just received my 20" wheel and tire package last week and every wheel had a ding and a scratch. Now I have to take them to UPS and ship them back (AM is covering shipping, but I can't fit 4 wheels in my car) and wait for my replacement t set. I also bought these because of the price, but if I knew the quality control wouldn't be that great I would have purchased somewhere else. Now I am stuck waiting on replacements.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Thumbs down Finished Whining Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
Be sure to check the wheels for cosmetic damage upon delivery. I just received my 20" wheel and tire package last week and every wheel had a ding and a scratch. Now I have to take them to UPS and ship them back (AM is covering shipping, but I can't fit 4 wheels in my car) and wait for my replacement t set. I also bought these because of the price, but if I knew the quality control wouldn't be that great I would have purchased somewhere else. Now I am stuck waiting on replacements.
Give it a rest Whiny Baby!
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 06:57 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post

I'm sure AM will solve this problem. What made you go with 20s? And what tire did you get?
Old 04-27-2014, 08:50 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

They are working on it. I went with the nitro invos. I wish AM had 295/35/20 available for the rear.
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
Old 04-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Give it a rest Whiny Baby!

Whiney baby? Really? How mature. I just want to put it out there so the op knows to check the wheels before installing them. I'm sure some people would just take them out and install them without looking twice.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You have already put it out there you made a whole thread about it no need to over due it
Old 04-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I made a thread, but I don't know if the op read it or not. Writing in this one thread to advise on checking the quality of the wheels is not whining.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:21 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Let's not make this about whining. The whole point of this forum is that people share their experience with different products.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:25 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Exactly. I went with 20's because from looking at all the images online, I thought they looked better than the 19's. The weight difference was only a few pounds, and I only plan on keeping these wheels for a year or so, then I'll get some forged wheels.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:26 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I never said u were whining
Old 04-27-2014, 09:27 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
I never said u were whining

I was talking about NewMtang
Old 04-27-2014, 11:33 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

20's look way better especially lowered a couple of inches.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 12:13 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
You have already put it out there you made a whole thread about it no need to over due it
Repeating info is not over doing things. If all info was only stated once, twice or even ten times on the internet, people may still not find the specific info because it gets buried.

So if this was his experience and it has the potential to save the OP $1600 or gives him the foresight to request AM to inspect the wheels prior to shipping them due to issues of defects then great. It's not like he's spamming the thread with multiple posts.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Repeating info is not over doing things. If all info was only stated once, twice or even ten times on the internet, people may still not find the specific info because it gets buried.

So if this was his experience and it has the potential to save the OP $1600 or gives him the foresight to request AM to inspect the wheels prior to shipping them due to issues of defects then great. It's not like he's spamming the thread with multiple posts.

+1 Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1398626720.557948.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	155241

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT