Buddy looking for deep tone exhaust for 2013 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 04-30-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Buddy looking for deep tone exhaust for 2013 5.0

A buddy of mine just purchased a 2013 5.0 the other day and wants to get an aftermarket exhaust. Being that I don't have a 5.0 I'm not familiar with the best exhaust system that fits his WANTS. My buddy is looking for a system that is somewhat loud, deep tone but not a lot of interior drone. A deep rumble tone is a must for his sound and more important that just loud or pitchy.

Also, my buddy is leaning more towards a axle back system over a cat back system. Based on his wants any suggestions on which axle back set up would be best for this. He did seem to like the Flowmaster American Thunder.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I wouldn't know from experience, but I've heard Flowmaster has a lot of highway drone. If he decides to go catback, a buddy of mine has Borla S-type and it has no drone with it at all.
WhiteStang14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Does you buddy have any plans for changing the mid-pipe down the road? From what you've described, I'd recommend the Corsa Street or Corsa Xtreme axleback. IMO, the Corsa Street sounds the best with an O/R Xpipe. While the Corsa Xtreme sounds better with a catted mid-pipe. The Xtreme is a little too loud for a full catless setup, IMO.

Both Corsa axlebacks produce zero drone. Eliminating drone is Corsa's biggest focus, right next to quality and and performance. Again, it sounds like this is right up your friends alley, by what you described.

Hope this was helpful!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-30-2014, 02:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Your friend sounds like exactly what I'm looking for lol. I'll have to check out those Corsa's when I'm ready.
mnl1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Does you buddy have any plans for changing the mid-pipe down the road? From what you've described, I'd recommend the Corsa Street or Corsa Xtreme axleback. IMO, the Corsa Street sounds the best with an O/R Xpipe. While the Corsa Xtreme sounds better with a catted mid-pipe. The Xtreme is a little too loud for a full catless setup, IMO.

Both Corsa axlebacks produce zero drone. Eliminating drone is Corsa's biggest focus, right next to quality and and performance. Again, it sounds like this is right up your friends alley, by what you described.

Hope this was helpful!

Shane
Shane, I don't believe my buddy plans on changing his mid pipe out but this is his first mustang. I don't think he realizes what an addiction he is going to develop once he breaks his mod cherry with an exhaust system. He said he was looking for a CAI and exhaust system and that's it. Or so he thinks. Ha ha ha.

When I purchased my first mustang I had no intention of modding either. Just a nice little exhaust system and that would do the trick. 4 thousands dollars later. Ha ha ha! I'm gonna show him this exhaust system you recommended. Thanks bro.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:17 PM   #6
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

I know what you mean haha. Well depending on how you want to "help your friend", you should show him the Corsa Street exhaust. He'll probably like it, but want more sound and more power. Then comes to midpipe, tune and catback and so on from there lol.

What would suck is if he buys the Xtreme, loves it. Wants more power and what not. Picks up a catless mid-pipe, then finds the exhaust is way to loud. Causing him to purchase a different axleback.

Main reason I bring that up is because I've seen this happen to a few customers, but also to one of my close friends. He still busts my chops about letting him purchase the "wrong" catback the first time around haha.

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 04-30-2014, 02:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
I know what you mean haha. Well depending on how you want to "help your friend", you should show him the Corsa Street exhaust. He'll probably like it, but want more sound and more power. Then comes to midpipe, tune and catback and so on from there lol.

What would suck is if he buys the Xtreme, loves it. Wants more power and what not. Picks up a catless mid-pipe, then finds the exhaust is way to loud. Causing him to purchase a different axleback.

Main reason I bring that up is because I've seen this happen to a few customers, but also to one of my close friends. He still busts my chops about letting him purchase the "wrong" catback the first time around haha.

Shane
So true Shane. I told him a cat back system will give him power gains. He claims he doesn't plan on track racing so not looking for a bunch more power. He says that now. Ha ha ha. Let's see his thought process a year from now. Ha ha ha. How are the Gt500 axle backs on tone.
Old 04-30-2014, 02:37 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I have the gt500 axelback on my 2013 5.0 and they sound great. Just took a 250 mile trip and no drone. Not real load but more growlie than stock.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
medic204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Borla touring axle backs give a nice deep tone that sounds great to my ears. Not obnoxiously loud though and no droning headaches. For a more volume there is the Borla S-types and the even more aggressive Ataks.

I put Borla on my GT because I ran one for 100K on a previous car with no deterioration of sound, no rust, no problems at all. Good quality stuff.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:38 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I would go with GT500. I have them and sound great. This is a great muffler for great sound and no drone. I have lethal off road h, no resonators, and those GT500. No drone with that setup but plenty of growl

5.0FRDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 09:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Everyone on the mustang source is telling you roush and everyone here so far has different recommendations,...oh the decisions.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:00 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSlow4U View Post
Everyone on the mustang source is telling you roush and everyone here so far has different recommendations,...oh the decisions.
Lol. I hope the Roush axle backs sound better on the 5.0 than they do on the 3.7. I'm not a fan of the Roush axle backs on the 3.7. Ha ha ha.

I will pass along the suggestions to my buddy. His head is spinning and its only day two of 5.0 ownership. Lol
Old 04-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I personally like the bassani exhaust the best. Roush is nice too.
TooSlow4U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 10:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I purchased roush right when I bought my 2011 5.0, but they were pretty raspy in the high rpms. I now have the RTR mufflers and love them. They are pretty unique sounding and really give you a deep sound without all the rasp. Not to mention the inlet is 3" instead of 2 3/4" like most axle backs, so if he ever does a full 3" exhaust the mufflers wouldn't be limiting him. Just my personal opinion. Hope it helps!
Yellow Blaze 2011 Mustang GT Premium. Kooks 1 7/8 midlength headers, Kooks Boss 302 H-pipe with Kooks sidepipes. Heartthrob mid pipes with flowpacks. RTR axle backs. Vogtland lowering springs. BMR adjustable panhard bar. Boss 302 Brake duct kit. Boss 302 trans scoop. Boss 302 oil cooler. Boss Intake Manifold. BBK 90mm Throttle Body. JLT Cold air intake with bama tune. JLT oil separator. Steeda lower control arms. BMR control arm relocation brackets. Barton two post short shifter. DSS Aluminum drive shaft. ACT HD Twin Disc Clutch
striker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by striker79 View Post
I purchased roush right when I bought my 2011 5.0, but they were pretty raspy in the high rpms. I now have the RTR mufflers and love them. They are pretty unique sounding and really give you a deep sound without all the rasp. Not to mention the inlet is 3" instead of 2 3/4" like most axle backs, so if he ever does a full 3" exhaust the mufflers wouldn't be limiting him. Just my personal opinion. Hope it helps!
Thanks so much.
Old 05-01-2014, 07:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Remember your future mods though, if you get a fairly loud axle back it will be insane with no cats if your buddy goes that route.

5.0FRDPWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0FRDPWR View Post
Remember your future mods though, if you get a fairly loud axle back it will be insane with no cats if your buddy goes that route.

I totally agree. I think his issue is he has no idea about future mods. Since this is their first mustang he is thinking just an exhaust and will be happy. I say ha ha ha to that. I think he doesn't know what he is in for when modding. Ha ha ha.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
He needs to get rid of his stock over axle pipes, install 3" over axle pipes no resonators, (install off road X or H if he can) and run the GT500 quads. I promise, this is the deepest sound you will get with absolutely ZERO cabin drone. I have gone through a few systems and this setup is the best I have heard. If he still runs cats, it will still sound great, just not has loud at WOT.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:22 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
He needs to get rid of his stock over axle pipes, install 3" over axle pipes no resonators, (install off road X or H if he can) and run the GT500 quads. I promise, this is the deepest sound you will get with absolutely ZERO cabin drone. I have gone through a few systems and this setup is the best I have heard. If he still runs cats, it will still sound great, just not has loud at WOT.
I think he is going to keep his cats on for emission testing purposes where he lives. Thanks for your insight and recommendation. The more I throw at him, the more his head spins. Ha ha ha! I'm so glad I'm not a newbie to my 3.7 but since I don't have a 5.0, I can't give him much guidance because I personally don't know. Lol
Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
If he wants a DEEPER tone, no matter the cats/no cats, and which ever axle backs, going with 3"pipes with no resonators from the mid pipe to the axle backs is definitely what he needs to do. This completely changes the tone of any combination of mid pipes/axle backs.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #21
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

I hear ya man! Time will tell haha.

The GT500 axlebacks are a solid option too. In fact, they used to be one of my favorite axlebacks. Especially when paired with an O/R Xpipe. Alone, with the stock exhaust, I feel they're too quite. Regardless, they don't drone and have a great tone throughout the RPM range!

Shane
Free Same-Day Shipping!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT