H type X type Y type? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
H type X type Y type?

So I hear a lot of commotion over which to get for their 5.0 and I'm fairly new into all of this. I'm getting my GT in about 15 days and I'm not sure what to get for my exhaust. People are saying H type X type Y type off-road this and off road that, and complaints about being raspy. Whats raspy sound like? I test drove a 2014 GT with roush exhaust and my god that thing roared hitting 2-4K rpms! I have a Flowmaster muffler on my camaro and it produces a lot of drone at 2K+ RPM. I was wondering whats the difference in all them? And axel back? Can anyone care to explain? Sorry for my stupidity, just trying to learn more everyday! I'm looking to get a decently loud exhaust not to loud tho to wake up my neighbors. I also plan on tracking maybe once a month or maybe twice. Thanks
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 09:31 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Catted x pipe, borla axle backs
txffmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:35 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by txffmike View Post
Catted x pipe, borla axle backs

Whats the drone on them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2014, 10:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorB3 View Post
So I hear a lot of commotion over which to get for their 5.0 and I'm fairly new into all of this. I'm getting my GT in about 15 days and I'm not sure what to get for my exhaust. People are saying H type X type Y type off-road this and off road that, and complaints about being raspy. Whats raspy sound like? I test drove a 2014 GT with roush exhaust and my god that thing roared hitting 2-4K rpms! I have a Flowmaster muffler on my camaro and it produces a lot of drone at 2K+ RPM. I was wondering whats the difference in all them? And axel back? Can anyone care to explain? Sorry for my stupidity, just trying to learn more everyday! I'm looking to get a decently loud exhaust not to loud tho to wake up my neighbors. I also plan on tracking maybe once a month or maybe twice. Thanks
Congrats on the new upcoming ride. Let the games begin and welcome to the land of confusion. You most likely will leave this thread more confused than when you first started out. Ha ha ha. Axle backs are for sound only. You will net almost little to no power gains with axle backs. They are for sound only! There axle backs because the mufflers go back to the area of the axle.

Cat back exhausts will change your exhaust tone like the axle backs but this will give you HP and torque gains. This system will run and connect back to your cats. If you plan on removing your cats, then not sure but I would think the cat back system is a waste because you have no more cats. Ha ha ha.

Off road X pipe is the mid pipe that connects to your factory manifold or a long or short tube headers. It gives you a more NASCAR raspy loud a$$ tone. Off road x pipe are not street legal not pass state emission testing.

H pipe is a mid pipe as well that connects to factory manifold or headers but not shaped in a X shape. Lol.. The H pipe is supposed to give a more deep muscle car growl tone.

Catted x pipe is same as off road only they have cats on them but high flowing so they should be street legal and pass emission testing but who knows in California because that state of Facked up and dumb. Ha ha ha.

Hope that helped..
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Congrats on the new upcoming ride. Let the games begin and welcome to the land of confusion. You most likely will leave this thread more confused than when you first started out. Ha ha ha. Axle backs are for sound only. You will net almost little to no power gains with axle backs. They are for sound only! There axle backs because the mufflers go back to the area of the axle.

Cat back exhausts will change your exhaust tone like the axle backs but this will give you HP and torque gains. This system will run and connect back to your cats. If you plan on removing your cats, then not sure but I would think the cat back system is a waste because you have no more cats. Ha ha ha.

Off road X pipe is the mid pipe that connects to your factory manifold or a long or short tube headers. It gives you a more NASCAR raspy loud a$$ tone. Off road x pipe are not street legal not pass state emission testing.

H pipe is a mid pipe as well that connects to factory manifold or headers but not shaped in a X shape. Lol.. The H pipe is supposed to give a more deep muscle car growl tone.

Catted x pipe is same as off road only they have cats on them but high flowing so they should be street legal and pass emission testing but who knows in California because that state of Facked up and dumb. Ha ha ha.

Hope that helped..
Yeah. Helped a bit, haha. What exhaust should I get for my 5.0? I want it to sound mean, but not loud as hell so my neighbors hate me. And I don't want it to drone. Thanks(:
Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:

Yeah. Helped a bit, haha. What exhaust should I get for my 5.0? I want it to sound mean, but not loud as hell so my neighbors hate me. And I don't want it to drone. Thanks(:
I wish I could help you on that one but I don't have a 5.0. Ha ha ha. I'm a few liters short. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 02:36 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
This....this is raspy. I'm running an off road x-pipe, no resonators and Roush axle back exhaust. It is loud as hell. Before I got rid of the resonators, it had no drone whatsoever, but was very raspy and pretty loud. Now it's an untamed beast, with a hint of drone.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
I ran an H-pipe with cat-deletes, resonators, and gt500 axle backs. It was loud, but not so loud that it caused problems. No drone and it only roared when you got on it.

Duck Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:34 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mean but not loud as hell = H Pipe but with stock cats.

High flow will make it louder but slightly less loud than catless.

If you go catless it'll wake the dead.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Mean but not loud as hell = H Pipe but with stock cats.

High flow will make it louder but slightly less loud than catless.

If you go catless it'll wake the dead.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:10 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duck Vader View Post
I ran an H-pipe with cat-deletes, resonators, and gt500 axle backs. It was loud, but not so loud that it caused problems. No drone and it only roared when you got on it.

What off road H pipe is that duck vader?
Sounds good!
fivepointwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointwut View Post
What off road H pipe is that duck vader?
Sounds good!
JBA from American Muscle. I am currently trying to sell it though since I got rid of the car.
Duck Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Y pipe? there are only X and H pipes, I prefer the sound of the H but went with the X

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
Old 05-03-2014, 12:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_0 View Post
Y pipe? there are only X and H pipes, I prefer the sound of the H but went with the X

He might have been thinking it because the v6 guys always talk about Y pipes since they have single exhaust.

Sent from church, because I'm out of cheerios.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
We need more "just bought a Mustang need exhaust suggestions" threads. I think I will go start one.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 03:27 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
He might have been thinking it because the v6 guys always talk about Y pipes since they have single exhaust.

Sent from church, because I'm out of cheerios.
ha yes, didn't think about that.......

Old 05-03-2014, 07:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
BBR O/R X-pipe + GT500 AB's = FTW
Mod List: H&R Super Sport Springs, Eibach Camber Bolts, Steeda Panhard Bar, BBK Cold Air Intake, Stack Racing Chrome Strut Tower Bar, Boss 302 Coil Pack Covers, Barton Shifter, Barton 2 Post Bracket, 4.10 Gear, 2013 Track Pack Wheels, QA1 Single Adjustable Rear Shocks, Roush Axle-back exhaust, CDC Chin Spoiler, Saleen Grille,
Defiant 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:39 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Demolition derby headers through the hood with flappers on the end dominates all possible combinations provided in this thread. Only do this if you're a real man.

"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:15 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Demolition derby headers through the hood with flappers on the end dominates all possible combinations provided in this thread. Only do this if you're a real man.

Love it!!!
fivepointwut is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT