Mustang Evolution Forum banner

H type X type Y type?

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  fivepointwut 
#1 ·
So I hear a lot of commotion over which to get for their 5.0 and I'm fairly new into all of this. I'm getting my GT in about 15 days and I'm not sure what to get for my exhaust. People are saying H type X type Y type off-road this and off road that, and complaints about being raspy. Whats raspy sound like? I test drove a 2014 GT with roush exhaust and my god that thing roared hitting 2-4K rpms! I have a Flowmaster muffler on my camaro and it produces a lot of drone at 2K+ RPM. I was wondering whats the difference in all them? And axel back? Can anyone care to explain? Sorry for my stupidity, just trying to learn more everyday! I'm looking to get a decently loud exhaust not to loud tho to wake up my neighbors. I also plan on tracking maybe once a month or maybe twice. Thanks

#4 ·
Congrats on the new upcoming ride. Let the games begin and welcome to the land of confusion. You most likely will leave this thread more confused than when you first started out. Ha ha ha. Axle backs are for sound only. You will net almost little to no power gains with axle backs. They are for sound only! There axle backs because the mufflers go back to the area of the axle.

Cat back exhausts will change your exhaust tone like the axle backs but this will give you HP and torque gains. This system will run and connect back to your cats. If you plan on removing your cats, then not sure but I would think the cat back system is a waste because you have no more cats. Ha ha ha.

Off road X pipe is the mid pipe that connects to your factory manifold or a long or short tube headers. It gives you a more NASCAR raspy loud a$$ tone. Off road x pipe are not street legal not pass state emission testing.

H pipe is a mid pipe as well that connects to factory manifold or headers but not shaped in a X shape. Lol.. The H pipe is supposed to give a more deep muscle car growl tone.

Catted x pipe is same as off road only they have cats on them but high flowing so they should be street legal and pass emission testing but who knows in California because that state of Facked up and dumb. Ha ha ha.

Hope that helped..

#7 ·
This....this is raspy. I'm running an off road x-pipe, no resonators and Roush axle back exhaust. It is loud as hell. Before I got rid of the resonators, it had no drone whatsoever, but was very raspy and pretty loud. Now it's an untamed beast, with a hint of drone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAfqESxcWkk

#13 ·
Y pipe? there are only X and H pipes, I prefer the sound of the H but went with the X

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

#14 ·
He might have been thinking it because the v6 guys always talk about Y pipes since they have single exhaust.

Sent from church, because I'm out of cheerios.

#15 ·
We need more "just bought a Mustang need exhaust suggestions" threads. I think I will go start one.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#17 ·
BBR O/R X-pipe + GT500 AB's = FTW

#18 ·
Demolition derby headers through the hood with flappers on the end dominates all possible combinations provided in this thread. Only do this if you're a real man.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.