bummed out over exhaust... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-03-2014, 01:06 AM   #1

Region: Iowa
bummed out over exhaust...

So here we go, first comment. 2014 gt premium fully loaded. bought the gt500 quad axle back for it. Tore into the car Thursday cause that was the day it was too arrive. had everything done just waiting for the UPS guy, "santa" to get to my house. He gets to my house I help him bring the box's to the garage. I notice that one of the box's is beat up pretty bad, think nothing of it should be packed full of bubble wrap and soft gentle stuff to protect it from jerks that just receive a pay check. Well I was wrong... Tips and muffler both smashed in like a beer can... Call up the guys at AM there shippingme new ones but won't be here till Tuesday. I got to looking at them and realized that even if the one muffler was in decent shape, I still would be out of commission, because they sent me two of the same side... What a let down. Also still just looking at the half way decent muffler, you can see rust already built up on the muffler part. I'm wanting to know if anyone else has had this situation, or close to a crappy situation on waiting for car parts???
leutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 03:53 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by leutz View Post
So here we go, first comment. 2014 gt premium fully loaded. bought the gt500 quad axle back for it. Tore into the car Thursday cause that was the day it was too arrive. had everything done just waiting for the UPS guy, "santa" to get to my house. He gets to my house I help him bring the box's to the garage. I notice that one of the box's is beat up pretty bad, think nothing of it should be packed full of bubble wrap and soft gentle stuff to protect it from jerks that just receive a pay check. Well I was wrong... Tips and muffler both smashed in like a beer can... Call up the guys at AM there shippingme new ones but won't be here till Tuesday. I got to looking at them and realized that even if the one muffler was in decent shape, I still would be out of commission, because they sent me two of the same side... What a let down. Also still just looking at the half way decent muffler, you can see rust already built up on the muffler part. I'm wanting to know if anyone else has had this situation, or close to a crappy situation on waiting for car parts???
c
Old 05-03-2014, 04:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
***** happens
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #4

Yeah it does but when you pay a nice chunk of cash and when you get them they look used? I didn't know I was buying used parts.. Maybe I'm being too anal but the finish even on the one that wasn't smashed in looked old and used?
Old 05-03-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Stuff happens but at least AM is shipping out new ones to you even before you send the damaged ones out.

Kudos to them at least for being top notch in CS.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
I'm not trying to slam AM, but there have been a few posts recently about things that definitely could have been prevented in the first place. Maybe they need to take a closer look at Quality Control, people picking and packing parts, packaging material and process, tire mounting, etc. That would make life a lot easier on the Customer Service people, save money on all the extra shipping, and cut down on the number of unhappy customers who post about it for all the world to see. This holds true for any business.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 08:45 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Could not agree with you more GrabberMeBlue. I luv AM however it does seem like no one is validating the product being shipped. I think some of it stems from returns, no one of knowledge is validating that all or the right parts came back. Great CS no question but if things work they would need less of them.
RCrumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:25 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I'm not trying to slam AM, but there have been a few posts recently about things that definitely could have been prevented in the first place. Maybe they need to take a closer look at Quality Control, people picking and packing parts, packaging material and process, tire mounting, etc. That would make life a lot easier on the Customer Service people, save money on all the extra shipping, and cut down on the number of unhappy customers who post about it for all the world to see. This holds true for any business.
GrubberMeBlue I'm not slamming your ***** happens comment either lol.

But you're absolutely right. I've posted before that being #1 in CS is great and all but its like being winning the presidential election of a nation of hobos and delinquents. Or you win a beauty pageant but everyone else competing against you had no teeth or were off springs of a donkey and a giraffe mixed with some chimp DNA.

If AM had better quality control they would:
1.) Save cost of returns/shipping
2.) Save cost in CS cuz they'd deal less with customer issues
3.) Have a relatively six sigma flawless business track record on CS and quality etc.
4.) And any AM bashers out there would be won over and the company's PR would be pristine.

But overall I am still happy with them cuz I trust they will do what they can to stand behind their products and services.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
GrubberMeBlue I'm not slamming your ***** happens comment either lol.

But you're absolutely right. I've posted before that being #1 in CS is great and all but its like being winning the presidential election of a nation of hobos and delinquents. Or you win a beauty pageant but everyone else competing against you had no teeth or were off springs of a donkey and a giraffe mixed with some chimp DNA.

If AM had better quality control they would:
1.) Save cost of returns/shipping
2.) Save cost in CS cuz they'd deal less with customer issues
3.) Have a relatively six sigma flawless business track record on CS and quality etc.
4.) And any AM bashers out there would be won over and the company's PR would be pristine.

But overall I am still happy with them cuz I trust they will do what they can to stand behind their products and services.

That wasn't me, it was Grabber Blue5.0 that said the ***** happens comment. I posted all the other stuff you agreed with. People always seem to get us confused.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Quote:
Yeah it does but when you pay a nice chunk of cash and when you get them they look used? I didn't know I was buying used parts.. Maybe I'm being too anal but the finish even on the one that wasn't smashed in looked old and used?
I agree they look used. Even in the listing photos!
That or someone has the welder turned up too much!
fivepointwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That wasn't me, it was Grabber Blue5.0 that said the ***** happens comment. I posted all the other stuff you agreed with. People always seem to get us confused.
Oh wow that really is confusing lol

My bad
Old 05-03-2014, 10:56 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

**** happens or not, shipping two mufflers of the same side is inexcusable. It would be one thing if these were small purchases we are hearing about or if a clamp or something didnt ship in an order, but these HUGE mistakes on wheels/tires and exhaust systems is not good business.
They OBVIOUSLY need to review how the package there shipments.
I bought a 6k supercharger system and most of it was shipped in one huge box. When UPS dropped it off, it was beat to hell and one whole bottom corner was busted off and re-taped. I didnt let the driver leave til I inspected it and it had been packed so well with double boxing and PLENTY of packing absorbent material, everything was pristine and undamaged. It is called doing things the right way and instead of having to have a internet person whose job is to monitor forum after forum putting out fires, just do it right in the first place. Hire people and put them in your shipping department that give a damn. OP, hope it works out for you. I know how much work that is doing this mod and what your car looks like now waiting. BTW, I found OEM quad tips from a GT500 on craigslist and they have been on the car all winter even with salted roads and they dont have a speck of rust on them for some comparison.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:17 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I think GT500 mufflers are stainless. ****ty stainless (409) but stainless nonetheless. Regardless of their appearance, they will easily go 100,000 miles because the durability cycle OEM exhaust equipment is tested to.

Mine came ok but, I'm glad your situation is being remedied. Some orders will go out wrong when a company is processing thousands a day; that's mail order. Stepping up and fixing it is a measure of the company.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:32 PM   #14

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140501_160900.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	155765

There is the beut right there!

Doesn't that look like rust?
Old 05-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Attachment 155765

That could be welding burns? My Magnaflow Streets had rust colored welds also. I noticed it right away and wondered because when I bought my Magnaflow muffler for my '95 T/A, the welds were shiny just like the muffler. I think maybe some manufacturers have changed their process. I bought the exhaust for my T/A about 10 years ago and the muffler still looks like brand new.

If the muffler is stainless, it shouldn't rust, that's why I think it is burn marks from welding.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Attachment 155765

That's looks like rust alright. For a new part that costs hundreds of dollars that is unacceptable. Even if the muffler wasn't dented, I still wouldn't take it because of the rust. Sorry this happened to you, I know how frustrating it can be. On the positive side, AM is great about making things right. I'm sure they will take care of you.

edit: grabbermeblue makes a good point. Could be weld burns, either way I wouldn't be happy.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:51 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
That's looks like rust alright. For a new part that costs hundreds of dollars that is unacceptable. Even if the muffler wasn't dented, I still wouldn't take it because of the rust. Sorry this happened to you, I know how frustrating it can be. On the positive side, AM is great about making things right. I'm sure they will take care of you.

edit: grabbermeblue makes a good point. Could be weld burns, either way I wouldn't be happy.

AM doesn't manufacture the mufflers they sell. I bet if you look for pictures of GT500 mufflers, Magnaflow Streets, etc., if one has welds on the clamps that look that way, all of that same brand will. Believe me, that's the first thing I did when my Streets arrived, and I did not buy them from AM either.

Now, the damage is a whole other story...

The muffler for my 95 T/A was completely polished.
Old 05-03-2014, 12:57 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
AM doesn't manufacture the mufflers they sell. I bet if you look for pictures of GT500 mufflers, Magnaflow Streets, etc., if one has welds on the clamps that look that way, all of that same brand will. Believe me, that's the first thing I did when my Streets arrived, and I did not buy them from AM either.

Look at these Streets I googled:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...tart=0&ndsp=12
Old 05-03-2014, 01:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Check out some of the mufflers on this page. There are also a couple sets of GT500s if you scroll down far enough. The manufacturers don't seem to worry too much about welding burns anymore.

http://ocspeedparts.com/index.php?ma...Path=35_59_103
Old 05-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Never said it was AM's fault for the rust/ burns but still the manufacturer should try and prevent that. These are expensive parts that people are putting on their cars that they take a lot of pride in. Although its in a hard to see spot after they are installed, you would still be able to see it if you knelt down and looked. It is preventable, my Borla's had none of that.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeygaga View Post
Never said it was AM's fault for the rust/ burns but still the manufacturer should try and prevent that. These are expensive parts that people are putting on their cars that they take a lot of pride in. Although its in a hard to see spot after they are installed, you would still be able to see it if you knelt down and looked. It is preventable, my Borla's had none of that.

I agree, I wish they weren't like that. Like I said, the Magnaflow for my T/A wasn't, not sure why the Magnaflow for my Mustang has to be that way. Looks like they are just trying to keep costs down.
Old 05-03-2014, 01:22 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I agree, I wish they weren't like that. Like I said, the Magnaflow for my T/A wasn't, not sure why the Magnaflow for my Mustang has to be that way. Looks like they are just trying to keep costs down.
Yea true. I guess you have to keep costs down somehow if your not going to have them made in China lol
Old 05-03-2014, 02:13 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Um, The muffler is aluminized titanium ferritic 409 stainless and it will show some surface corrosion but that actually prevents rust through. Appearance is secondary when 409 stainless is chosen over 304, say.

The damage is the unacceptable part, don't make yourself look foolish chasing the rust theme.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM   #24

Yeah man I've already sent am pics of everything, didn't say to much on the rust issue I was gonna wait till Tuesday when the other ones get here to see how they look!
Old 05-03-2014, 03:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

When you get them, you can paint the muffler body in flat black barbecue paint so, you can't see anything but the tips from the rear, that helps a lot with appearance.

they do sound really nice. Mellow but a very quality sound. I'd liken it a bit to Aston Martin V8 Vantage mixed witha bit of the Bullitt soundtrack, particularly on the overrun, if you have a stick car.

Old 05-03-2014, 04:55 PM   #26

Yeah I already bought the high temp paint, I was planning on doing that anyway. It's such a clean look! I choose the gt500 exhaust cause when I go x pipe it won't wake the dead haha, well maybe a lil bit haha
Old 05-04-2014, 12:38 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
@#$& seems to happen a lot at AM. I ordered a Steeda shifter and bracket combo about a month ago and they only sent the bracket. The crew that is picking the parts and shipping them really need to be examined because it is clear someone is not doing their job correctly.
mnl1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:26 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
Um, The muffler is aluminized titanium ferritic 409 stainless and it will show some surface corrosion but that actually prevents rust through. Appearance is secondary when 409 stainless is chosen over 304, say.

The damage is the unacceptable part, don't make yourself look foolish chasing the rust theme.
Wouldn't that be surface rust over corrosion? For corrosion to occur there would have to be pitting. Not trying to be a dick but clearing a common misconception between rust and corrosion.
2013_DIB_GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Attachment 155765

Had the same type of dents also on both mufflers, seems like these tips aren't as sturdy as the GT tips. I just used a 21mm socket and hammer and banged them back to shape. It doesn't even look like they were ever dented now.
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Point being, He's got justifiable reasons to not be pleased and conflating them with ones that aren't justified doesn't help his cause. It is a a surface rust and completely harmless. As I said, the muffler passed a stringent durability check before being installed oem.

Since AM is fixing the issue, there is no reasons to work the tips back into shape. These look fairly bad but still repairable. The GT tips are rolled and thus, stronger. These being slash are designed to look as big as possible and fill the bumper holes fully. No repair helps that he got two mufflers for the same side, though.

Old 05-30-2014, 12:28 PM   #31

Region: Florida
I'm installing my gt500 quad exhaust on my 2014 gt/cs tonight. I found a local guy who sold me his catback system off his 2014 gt500. I'm excited to install it.

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
SilverGT_CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:39 PM   #32

Region: Florida
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience Leutz. I would be disappointed as well.

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
SilverGT_CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 02:46 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl1121 View Post
@#$& seems to happen a lot at AM. I ordered a Steeda shifter and bracket combo about a month ago and they only sent the bracket. The crew that is picking the parts and shipping them really need to be examined because it is clear someone is not doing their job correctly.
Did they hire the guy that got fired from Gas Monkey to do parts pickin'
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

You know why these companies can manufacture sub-par products and still charge the ridiculous amounts of money that they are charging for them? Because they know damn well that we will be buying them regardless of what they charge and regardless of how terrible the product is simply because they know that we dont have any other choices. They all are making these exhaust systems for less than $100 and they are charging $350-800 just for a damn muffler. And all of us are buying them just as fast as they can make them. But what other choices do we have? Take your pick. ****ty, quiet, factory exhaust or stupid expensive, ****ty quality, BADASS sounding exhaust? I bought a barely used Borla S Stinger axle-back. Still all shiny and polished and brand new looking. I got it for $475 and I STILL grossely overpaid. Sorry for the rant. Just my $0.02...
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 03:11 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Long story short. It doesnt matter the quality. Or the shipping. Or the customer service. Or the price. They will sell thousands of them regardless of what anyone says on any forum... And it's a damn shame.
DWoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust