Pony projection retrofit? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #1

Region: Wisconsin
Pony projection retrofit?

My '14 GT came with a passenger-side pony-projection mirror, mistakenly installed by the factory.

Other than buying a driver's-side projection mirror, is there a way to retrofit a puddle lamp into the existing mirror to give the car pony symmetry?
Krasnodar75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 12:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasnodar75 View Post
My '14 GT came with a passenger-side pony-projection mirror, mistakenly installed by the factory. Other than buying a driver's-side projection mirror, is there a way to retrofit a puddle lamp into the existing mirror to give the car pony symmetry?
Wow what a mess :/. Just order a whole mirror assembly. They are badly made as it is and require proper sealing around the cavity to protect it from having small water bubbles and condensation inside, I can't imagine how hard it is going to make the hole yourself, purchase the lens by itself, Install it. It's not impossible, but I'm willing to bet buying the mirror assembly online will be cheaper. Good luck and seriously, that's an odd mistake to make haha
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 12:55 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Why don't you take it to Ford and let them deal with it?
CNFLCTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2014, 01:25 PM   #4

I did take it to the dealership. They said the passenger-side projection was not supposed to be on the car because I did not buy the comfort package. The car I ordered came with one projector for no reason other than a factory snafu. The dealership's position is that I received an option - well, at least half an option - at no cost. In any event, they will not pay for a driver's side mirror to match. Bizarre, huh?
Old 05-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Pony projector mirrors are part of the premium package.
ILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 02:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

There's a left hand mirror assembly on eBay right now from a 13-14 mustang with the projectors in it. 200 bucks. It's white and could use some fresh paint, otherwise it's good
Old 05-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLY View Post
Pony projector mirrors are part of the premium package.

No they are part of the comfort package. Premium package does not include pony projection mirrors.
Old 05-04-2014, 04:58 PM   #8

Thanks! I'll take a look at the eBay mirror.

I ordered the base model with Synch was the only option, but have since added Roush axle backs and CAI. It actually made me recoil just a little bit when I first saw the pony projection in a snowbank. Wasn't expecting that.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:08 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krasnodar75 View Post
Thanks! I'll take a look at the eBay mirror. I ordered the base model with Synch was the only option, but have since added Roush axle backs and CAI. It actually made me recoil just a little bit when I first saw the pony projection in a snowbank. Wasn't expecting that.
Just finish her up. It's a small detail, but it blows peoples minds all the time. Drunk girls give the best reactions hahaha. One chick thought I painted ponies next to my car in my garage. I was disappointed. Gave her a second to figure it out and then I told her to move the door and that's when she figured it out. It's a good thing she was hot.

But yeah. Shouldn't be too hard to do. While you're at it look up some DIY's on properly sealing the light pod. Water may get in there. I had my first set replaced last month and had no issues since, but my car came with them and the warranty covers that. You'll want to make sure they don't foul.

Good luck
Old 05-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
tell them you didn't order that option and to remove it. problem solved
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:30 PM   #11

The drunk-girl factor may have put me over the top for finding another projection mirror. Come to think of it, that gives me an idea for the sound tube I just deleted.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:36 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
hmmm if this wasn't a stock option and was an aftermarket piece...
would it be considered rice or nice?
I would think rice
FullyAutomatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 05:40 PM   #13

Rice-ish, maybe. I live in a condo with underground parking and sometimes it makes me think I'm in the Bat Cave, but since there is just one projection light, Alfred generally ignores it.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:42 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullyAutomatic View Post
hmmm if this wasn't a stock option and was an aftermarket piece... would it be considered rice or nice? I would think rice
The true meaning of "rice" has been lost over the years. Nowadays, anyone who doesn't like a certain mod will call it rice. Rice referred to cars with mods meant to give the appearance of a faster or cooler car. For instance, putting cobra badges on a v6. Or mods that appear or sound like they would be performance mods, but actually provide no horsepower, ie: fart cans, fake hood scoops/air vents etc. putting pony projection lights on a car that didn't originally come with them isn't ricing it. It's not like they only came on one specific model. V6 and v8's can have them and it obviously is not meant to appear like a performance mod. It's as harmless as a paint job or some new rims.

Give a rest guys lol
Old 05-04-2014, 05:51 PM   #15

I didn't ask for the one (pony) light, to sorta kinda paraphrase Jakob Dylan, but I have to admit it brings me occasional amusement. For that it's worth it. It should pair nicely with a single Yosemite Sam mudflap on the driver's side, to balance things out. Seems sufficiently feng shui, if we're going with the whole ironic theme here.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT