Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Offroad Midpipe

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  AMDanBailer 
#1 ·
Ok, I hope this sounds ok. Been think about getting a offroad midpipe in place of my cats for my next mod. The ones I am finding are around $250. My question is, can i just have those two cats cut out and have two pieces of pipe (preferably stainless) wielded in place of my cats? I know that would be a fraction of the cost.

#4 ·
The JBA H-pipe on AM has separate cat delete tubes included. This is the main reason that they are on my build list - I need to pass emissions on occasion, so my plan is to reinstall the stock cats and tune about a week prior to my e-check, and then go back to the catless setup immediately after passing. BAMA is already on board with this idea, I just need to quit bein so poor and buy the damn thing...

Not sure what a local shop would charge to fab up something, but the JBA setup is ~300bucks and it is everything you need (except the tuner, which I assume you already have)

#5 ·
my Pypes Off road (cat delete) H pipe was $299. Love it

#6 ·
I got my BBR off road x for around $350 and love it. You'll be hard-pressed to find a shop that will do a cat delete. Plus if you ever get pulled over and ticketed for illegal exhaust, you'll be SOL if you hacked up the original midpipe. I keep mine in storage for that very reason.

#8 ·
Depends on where you live.. Muffler shops here cuts off cats all day long.. Literally.. Most the vehicles they do are ******** w glass packs or straights. There's no inspection here.. The cops don't have cats on their personal cars lol

#7 ·
My muffler shop cut out and welded in pipe for $30.. I live in a small town and that was not stainless.. Then ordered a bbk x that replaces the factory h for like $169.. This is until I decide if I want turbo or supercharger/headers. Cheap.. More/better sound.. More power. And can prolly sell the x later

#10 ·
Like it's really not even a deal here.. No one here has EVER gotten a ticket or even questioned about cats here.. Again this is small town AR though.

#11 ·
Gotta love SC, I've heard the loudest of the loudest on the street and not get tickets, everything from performance cars to fast bikes to ******* trucks. I wanted the bassani off-road x-pipe I though it bolted in place after the cats, I'm only at 4,000 miles on mine really don't wanna void the earranty

#12 ·
Hey,

You can definitely have a shop cut the cats out and replace it with new piping no problem. A lot of people also just have the factory cats gutted out and essentially giving the same result. However, as mentioned, even the straight piping is quite restrictive and you still wont see the benefits as you would with a new mid pipe.

If I was in your position, I would go with an inexpensive off road mid pipe such as a Pypes or JBA. I think it will give you better results than cutting or gutting out the cats. Either way, you have your head in the right place, and getting rid of the cats in general will pick you up some noticeable power and sound.

I hope this helps, and if you have any questions, feel free to get in touch. Best of luck!

-Dan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.