Datalog - Knock Sensor - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-13-2014, 03:09 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm telling you what he told me. His exact words were " there are multiple timing tables but it will not just randomly add timing"

Whay you are seeing as he told me are the multiple timing tables. Not the car just flat out ADING timing

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 03:14 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Clueless I doubt that. I would drag anyone's *** on this forum. and he tuned them all.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

You name the level and I got you covered

I think you're misunderstanding him. And than coming on here and giving people false information that you can not back up. Whether it's a different timing table or not the computer is adding timing to the overall program. I watch my car add timing all day and you have multiple graphs right in front of your face that are showing the advancing of timing through the knock sensors.

Not sure what else to say. I'll move on.

Also, You wouldn't drag my wifes car let alone anything I own.
Justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 03:16 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Wanna put money on that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2014, 03:20 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Does your dad know you're using his screen name? You're going to get a spank'n
Old 05-13-2014, 03:23 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin81 View Post
Does your dad know you're using his screen name? You're going to get a spank'n
I'm a firm believer in run your car not your mouth. We have a oil company that we are getting ready to head up north with. I will be heading up to north Dakota and Pennsylvania here b4 long to buy a shop etc.

On the real when I get up there maybe you can show me where some nice tracks are in Pennsylvania and we can set up some runs.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:19 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Alright now, this isn't a contest about who has a bigger d**k. Just trying to get educated about my car. Steeda has told me they are looking into it now and I specifically asked them whether a negative knock sensor reading signifies advanced or retarded timing. Hopefully they can respond soon and settle any confusion. I'm on Justin's side right now purely because I want it to be true! Also, why would you ever turn your knock sensors off?? Seems like a scary idea to me!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 12:58 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
Alright now, this isn't a contest about who has a bigger d**k. Just trying to get educated about my car.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Lmao! I was thinking the same. Gotta love the internet warriors! You will find them on every forum about every topic. I do find it entertaining so it's all good. Subd for word from steeda. I'm guessing Justin is correct but I base that assumption on my very basic understanding of what is being discussed.
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 01:18 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

I would agree. After some more research, it isn't as abnormal as i originally thought for a car to advance timing based on knock sensor feedback. Going to give Steeda another call after work to see if there is any progress. Going to be driving the car 4 hours to Ocean City, MD and beat on it quite a bit this weekend.. so this was mostly for peace of mind prior to that
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 05-14-2014, 01:32 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

If you'll allow me to offer any other advise here's what I have. I had a questionable tune that was pulling timing under WOT. There was also a lot of other issues that I wasn't happy with. Evolution hooked me up with a Lund tune to try out. The car is 100% a different car. If you ever want to hear more feel free to PM me. It was the best money I ever spent on this car. It drives now way better than it did stock just has a ton more power.
Old 05-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Just to finalize this thread - I received an email back from Matt @ Steeda. He confirmed that the (-) angles measured by the knock sensor do in-fact signify advanced timing. With that said - I do not have concerns for the Steeda tune and am very happy with it (need to double check a vacuum leak since i saw lean conditions in the one recording (lambda = 1.11)).

So for future reference : (-) means advancing / (+) means retarding
Old 05-15-2014, 09:39 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for clearing that up......

For Rapinator126

Old 05-22-2014, 03:46 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I don't mean to sound like a ****** but car manufacturers have been doing this since well....before I was born really, which isn't saying much (cough) 80's child. The phrase "adaptive ECU/PCM" was coined just for this such activity. Treat the numeral value 0 as threshold. any positive integer is essentially audible noise picked up from that over-glorified microphone we call a "knock sensor". The same can be said for negative integers, except the opposite; it does not pick up any "unusual tones" thus adding timing. Simply because the ECU realizes it is safe to add timing.

My pro-cal tune was seeing a maximum of 26* at WOT, just looking into the file before the WOT pull I could see it floating around 12-14. I hear the notion of 52* is what we have in total? Correct me if I'm wrong, if it is true though, that means plenty of power left on my table to be had.
draxxus131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:22 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Just to finalize this thread - I received an email back from Matt @ Steeda. He confirmed that the (-) angles measured by the knock sensor do in-fact signify advanced timing. With that said - I do not have concerns for the Steeda tune and am very happy with it (need to double check a vacuum leak since i saw lean conditions in the one recording (lambda = 1.11)).

Thanks, this help me understand the issues better now as well.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:45 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:

I also was seeing - values and Shaun at AED said the same thing Steeda told you.

So what does Rapinator126 have to say now????
Kona Blue 2012 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, Accessory pkg 5, GT500 Axelbacks, Boss Pod w/ Prosport Gauges, Boss/CS F&R facsia'a, Boss Brake cooling ducts, Boss splitter, Roush side splitters, Saleen Grill & Roush CAI(non tune). More to come
Devildog1679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:26 PM   #50

ford knock sensor

writing to help out

+positive knock numbers will ****** your timing (set amount per milisecond to limits in your tunes advance tables)

-negitive (or zero) will ALLOW the system to add timing (*set amount per milisecond to the limits of the tunes advance tables)

The reason there are different tunes available for certain levels of octane fuel is because the tune contains different sets of RANGES allowable for timing advancement. example 87 octane advance max 30, 91 octane advance max 40.

+1 and under should be no cause for concern. example if you have a tune that is set for 91 octane. you will start out in the bottom of the advance curve. as long as there is no Knock detected the ECU will allow the timing to advance upto the max programmed value OR until knock is detected, at which point the process will reverse until knock is eliminated.

hope this helps guys
kkthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Subscribing for info, not for the drama.
k1DBLITZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 04:24 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Subscribing for the drama, not the info.
But this thread has been dead for a long time.
Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 06:58 PM   #53
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Knock

Ok it is possible that both of you are right.
Normally the PCM will allow the timing to advance until knock is detected, then it would ****** until knock disappears.
With knock sensors disable it probably goes to a look up table that only allows x timing at x conditions.
I've had some training in how these things work and know enough to be dangerous!
There are a number of ways to accomplish some of this.
I think rap is turbo charged and tuned for e 85, correct me if I'm wrong and his tuner probably pushed the timing as far as he could. Disabling knock sensors more than likely disables timing adjustments as well.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by REG View Post
Ok it is possible that both of you are right.
Normally the PCM will allow the timing to advance until knock is detected, then it would ****** until knock disappears.
With knock sensors disable it probably goes to a look up table that only allows x timing at x conditions.
I've had some training in how these things work and know enough to be dangerous!
There are a number of ways to accomplish some of this.
I think rap is turbo charged and tuned for e 85, correct me if I'm wrong and his tuner probably pushed the timing as far as he could. Disabling knock sensors more than likely disables timing adjustments as well.
I believe this hits the nail on the head!

Sent from LG G3.
FastFord13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:21 PM   #55

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
No no no your car is not going to randomly add timing. Dam if that was the case my car would be adding timing out the *** since I have my knock sensors deactivated.

Old thread but some good information .KNOCK sensor will not add or remove timing when it is deactivated , your timing will be the lowest value of mbt,borderline knock ,and max spark advance tables . Also many multipliers for coolant ,air temps and a/f ratio. Honestly don't know anyone who would deactivate the knock sensor in a tune ,its a very valuable to the life of your engine especially if you run your timing close to the limit before detonation.
iceman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 01:23 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
So, I went to the Dyno last year with a 2011 GT with JLT intake and tune and put down 382 to the wheels. Was pretty happy. I recently installed the Boss manifold and retuned with Lund, and made.....366? Huh? ya... Dunno what happened. I have been in contact with Lund and they believe that I maybe reading false knock from an exhaust rattle, thus changing the timing, not allowing it to make any power.

Has anyone else experienced such a loss due to knock sensors?

I have my datalogs, but not on this computer. I will post a screen shot when I figure it out in a few days...
BlackBetty2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:05 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Where's the AED used to resuscitate this thread?

Oh, yes....lots of people that have turbos or Vorpax kits chase false knock from the tight pipe runs. It really takes very little to set them off.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1469907621.701879.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	203882

After fixing rattle...STILL A LOSS ON HORSEPOWER AND TORQUE!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
BlackBetty2012 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT