Mustang Evolution Forum banner

MT hill rollback...

5K views 26 replies 16 participants last post by  Laquisha 
#1 ·
I've been driving manual for 20yrs and it doesn't bother me but I've noticed in my 14GT that if I'm on a hill the car doesn't roll back when releasing the clutch. My 10GT would roll in this situation. Do I have a problem or is this standard in the new models?

#3 ·
This is a new feature they added to the newer cars called hill assist, if you don't like it you can disable it if you want

#5 ·
From 2014 user guide;
Using Hill Start Assist
Note: If the engine is revved excessively, hill start assist will be deactivated.
1. Press the brake pedal to bring the vehicle to a complete standstill. Keep the brake pedal pressed.
2. If the sensors detect that the vehicle is on a slope, the hill start assist feature will be activated automatically.
3. When you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the vehicle will remain on the slope without rolling away for approximately two or three seconds. This hold time will automatically be extended if you are in the process of driving off.
4. Drive off in the normal manner. The brakes will be released automatically.
Disabling and Enabling the Hill Start Assist Feature
Your vehicle comes with hill start assist already enabled. If desired, you can disable the feature by following the procedure below.
The following procedure must be completed within 45 seconds or the process will have to be repeated. Begin this procedure with the ignition turned off. This procedure is for both disabling and enabling the hill start assist system.
1. Apply the parking brake to make sure the vehicle is not moving.
2. Turn the ignition on.
3. Place the vehicle in neutral gear.
4. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – make sure the brake pedal is completely released each time.
5. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the right and return
the steering wheel to the original starting position.
6. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the left and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.
7. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – ensure the brake pedal is completely released each time.
When the procedure has been completed successfully, the ABS icon in the instrument cluster will flash:
• three times indicating that the feature has been disabled. • twice indicating it has been enabled.
Once the feature is programmed as desired, it will remain in that mode until the above procedure is repeated.
Note: When the AdvanceTrac® system is disabled (see the Traction Control chapter in your owner’s manual for information on how to do this), the hill start assist feature is also disabled for the duration that the AdvanceTrac® system is in that mode. Re-enabling AdvanceTrac® will also re-enable hill start assist.
Note: If you have used the above procedure to disable the hill start assist feature, then enabling or disabling AdvanceTrac® will not effect the hill start assist system.

#9 ·
From 2014 user guide;

Using Hill Start Assist

Note: If the engine is revved excessively, hill start assist will be deactivated.

1. Press the brake pedal to bring the vehicle to a complete standstill. Keep the brake pedal pressed.

2. If the sensors detect that the vehicle is on a slope, the hill start assist feature will be activated automatically.

3. When you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the vehicle will remain on the slope without rolling away for approximately two or three seconds. This hold time will automatically be extended if you are in the process of driving off.

4. Drive off in the normal manner. The brakes will be released automatically.

Disabling and Enabling the Hill Start Assist Feature

Your vehicle comes with hill start assist already enabled. If desired, you can disable the feature by following the procedure below.

The following procedure must be completed within 45 seconds or the process will have to be repeated. Begin this procedure with the ignition turned off. This procedure is for both disabling and enabling the hill start assist system.

1. Apply the parking brake to make sure the vehicle is not moving.

2. Turn the ignition on.

3. Place the vehicle in neutral gear.

4. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – make sure the brake pedal is completely released each time.

5. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the right and return

the steering wheel to the original starting position.

6. Rotate the steering wheel at least one full turn to the left and return the steering wheel to the original starting position.

7. Slowly press and release the brake pedal five times – ensure the brake pedal is completely released each time.

Jesus don't forgot about the steps where you have to sacrifice a virgin and do the hokie pokie.

#7 ·
All those steps are rediculous, why not just put a switch somewhere in the car.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#8 ·
Why would you want to disable it?

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#13 ·
The hill assist doesn't work consistently for me.

My parents' driveway has a bit of an incline, about 1 out of 3 times the hill assist will work. It's nice when it does but I don't rely on it.

#14 ·
Ish416,
If the sensors detect that the vehicle is on a slope, the hill start assist feature will be activated automatically. When you remove your foot from the brake pedal, the vehicle will remain on the slope without rolling away for approximately two or three seconds. This hold time will automatically be extended if you are in the process of driving off.
Maybe that is why it doesn't work consistently for you, you only have 2 or 3 seconds after you release the break pedal.

#16 ·
I know how it works, I read the manual.

It just simply works or it doesn't, most of the time, for me, it doesn't.

#15 ·
I've never depended on any kind of hill assist in the 45+ years I've been driving manuals, so I'm pretty accustomed to catching the car before it rolls back much if any. In extreme grades or if the idiot behind has pulled right up on my ass, I'll just use the parking brake, gradually releasing it to match clutch take up.

I think on a couple of occasions, when I first got the car, the hill assist has caused me to stall when I beat the release time and the brakes were still holding the car. I was not expecting the extra resistance and didn't evidently apply enough gas. Hasn't happened lately and I haven't been tempted to disable it.

#18 ·
I don't have a problem with it. Simply caught me off guard when I was expecting to roll. I wish I had that feature 20 years ago when I started driving manual.

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#20 ·
He said he knows how it works, but let's continue to tell him how it's done. Next in line..

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#21 ·
You missed his point. He was trying to determine why it may not be working consistently.

That being said, it is a stupid assist. If you can't drive a stick without hitting the guy behind you on a hill, stop driving stick.

#22 ·
It's on by default. I turned it off. I found it harder to start from a hill with it on because it was hard to feel the clutch catch. The steps to turn it off is ridiculous lol.

#23 ·
U can feel it catch cuz the car will still squat backwards when the clutch engages even though the car doesn't move forward. The more it catches the more the car squats.

But yeah it's kinda weird at first. Kinda like you trying to accelerate while the parking brakes are on but after using it for a couple years now I'm in love with the damn thing lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.