Dyeing the stiches - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-15-2014, 09:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Dyeing the stiches

Hey everyone. Quick question. Has anyone dyed the stitches using a dye pen? If so, which pen and how did it come out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 11:37 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Go to Joann fabrics or a fabrics store there simple fabric pens I did mine I. Grabber blue on old car . Looks ok sorry no pics lol
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
You can use the Sharpie Fabric Pens. We have used them in the past for dying stitching on caps and other items that are washed and are exposed to a LOT of elements with great results. They for sure would work on your stitching.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto111 View Post
Go to Joann fabrics or a fabrics store there simple fabric pens I did mine I. Grabber blue on old car . Looks ok sorry no pics lol
Do you still have the car? I love some pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
You can use the Sharpie Fabric Pens. We have used them in the past for dying stitching on caps and other items that are washed and are exposed to a LOT of elements with great results. They for sure would work on your stitching.
Awesome sounds promising. Do you have any pics?
Old 05-15-2014, 05:14 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Dyeing the stiches

I was actually thinking of dyeing the white stitching on my leather Recaro's a few days ago, to match(or come close to) the Red Candy color of the car. But I don't want to accidentally mark the Recaro's.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:37 PM   #6
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl1121 View Post
Do you still have the car? I love some pics.

Awesome sounds promising. Do you have any pics?
You can always google pics instead of waiting for someone to answer your question.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/bDIwWsQ37Tk/hqdefault.jpg

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1288228194
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDTCM View Post
You can always google pics instead of waiting for someone to answer your question.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/bDIwWsQ37Tk/hqdefault.jpg

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/attach...1&d=1288228194

Googling someone's random pics doesn't help at all. I've found those already (a friend showed me those exact pictures. That's how I got this idea in the first place), but what doesn't come with them is the person's personal experience. I think that that guy's red dye job looks shoddy at best. I can't ask him how he likes it, if he could get a closer picture or whether or not he feels he could have done a better job.

Understand where I'm coming from?
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure which mustang forum I saw it on, but somebody posted a full writeup with photos. I've been considering it ever since and plan to do it once I get the stripes painted on. He mentioned that with his black seats he could dye a few inches at a time and then wipe up the excess without any noticeable traces on the leather.
3.31 gears, FRPP TracKey tuned, FRPP K springs, FRPP Adjustable Shocks/Struts, FRPP front/rear sway bars, FRPP Panhard, Steeda UCA / LCAs, GT500 Quad tip AB, MGW shifter, Niche Targa Blk 19" Staggered wheels with Michelin Pilot Super Sports
MALWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 09:39 PM   #9
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Googling someone's random pics doesn't help at all. I've found those already (a friend showed me those exact pictures. That's how I got this idea in the first place), but what doesn't come with them is the person's personal experience. I think that that guy's red dye job looks shoddy at best. I can't ask him how he likes it, if he could get a closer picture or whether or not he feels he could have done a better job.

No,I don't. There is a option to "view page" which will take you to a forum in some cases where it has been discussed,questions asked,pictures shown and sometimes a detailed DIY on your topic. I understand that you want to ask questions but Googling the topic can get you your answer 9 times outta 10 faster than making a thread and waiting around for someone to answer your question. That's called being pro-active.

Old 05-18-2014, 12:36 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No,I don't. There is a option to "view page" which will take you to a forum in some cases where it has been discussed,questions asked,pictures shown and sometimes a detailed DIY on your topic. I understand that you want to ask questions but Googling the topic can get you your answer 9 times outta 10 faster than making a thread and waiting around for someone to answer your question. That's called being pro-active.

So you're telling me you want me to go find a thread on ANOTHER forum instead of using Mustang Evolution? You ARE a mod on this forum correct?
Old 05-18-2014, 08:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I dyed my stitching green to match my car about a year ago. I bought a fabric dye marker at Hobby Lobby for cheap to try it out. I simply colored in the stitching in sections and wiped off the leather while it was still wet. It looks fantastic when done. Really makes the inside pop. Unfortunately the dye has to be redone every couple months because it fades. The seats are easy to do the steering wheel is a little harder in that it's hard to color the whole stitch. Hard to explain I guess the stitches are tighter there or something. I have thought about a more permanent marker like sharpee to see if if lasts longer.
Stangholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:01 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangholio View Post
I dyed my stitching green to match my car about a year ago. I bought a fabric dye marker at Hobby Lobby for cheap to try it out. I simply colored in the stitching in sections and wiped off the leather while it was still wet. It looks fantastic when done. Really makes the inside pop. Unfortunately the dye has to be redone every couple months because it fades. The seats are easy to do the steering wheel is a little harder in that it's hard to color the whole stitch. Hard to explain I guess the stitches are tighter there or something. I have thought about a more permanent marker like sharpee to see if if lasts longer.
Sharpee is bad. You won't be able to wipe it off the leather as easily.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 05:31 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Thought about that. That's the main reason I haven't tried it. Could stain the leather.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:13 AM   #14
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
So you're telling me you want me to go find a thread on ANOTHER forum instead of using Mustang Evolution? You ARE a mod on this forum correct?
I personally don't care where you find it. This isn't wal-mart and I won't get upset if you shop at Target. I'm just giving you a suggestion (trying ti help you) on how to find your answer the quickest and easiest way. This isn't the forum to end all forums. There are plenty of good places to get info from and Google is the best place to start,IMO. Google searches often lead here and that's another easy way to find a thread on M.E. too.

FYI, I Googled "Dyeing stitches on mustang seats" and this thread came up 4th on the list.
Old 05-19-2014, 09:10 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangholio View Post
Do you happen to remember the brand of fabric marker you used? I want something that won't fade so I want to avoid the brand you used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
It should last longer though.

Quote:
I personally don't care where you find it. This isn't wal-mart and I won't get upset if you shop at Target. I'm just giving you a suggestion (trying ti help you) on how to find your answer the quickest and easiest way. This isn't the forum to end all forums. There are plenty of good places to get info from and Google is the best place to start,IMO. Google searches often lead here and that's another easy way to find a thread on M.E. too.

FYI, I Googled "Dyeing stitches on mustang seats" and this thread came up 4th on the list.
I'm not in any rush. I'm also waiting on a friend to do his stitching so I can see it first hand.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:01 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Fabric Mate is the brand
Old 05-19-2014, 01:13 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I thought about this, watched a lot of DYI videos on the topic. After much testing on different types of leather with white stitching. I choose not to do it. Most DYI’s tell you to do a little section at a time then wipe that area, if you have go back over it; then do so. What I found out no matter how small the section and no matter how much you wiped, or how hard you wiped, there was still ink residue left on the leather around the stitch. For me that was unacceptable call it my OCD kicking in. So I would advise in doing a few samples to make sure you like it. Just my two cents, I still have white stitching.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT