Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Dyeing the stiches

3K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  avengnd 
#1 ·
Hey everyone. Quick question. Has anyone dyed the stitches using a dye pen? If so, which pen and how did it come out?

#4 ·
Do you still have the car? I love some pics.

You can use the Sharpie Fabric Pens. We have used them in the past for dying stitching on caps and other items that are washed and are exposed to a LOT of elements with great results. They for sure would work on your stitching.
Awesome sounds promising. Do you have any pics?

#3 ·
You can use the Sharpie Fabric Pens. We have used them in the past for dying stitching on caps and other items that are washed and are exposed to a LOT of elements with great results. They for sure would work on your stitching.

#5 ·
I was actually thinking of dyeing the white stitching on my leather Recaro's a few days ago, to match(or come close to) the Red Candy color of the car. But I don't want to accidentally mark the Recaro's.

#8 ·
I'm not sure which mustang forum I saw it on, but somebody posted a full writeup with photos. I've been considering it ever since and plan to do it once I get the stripes painted on. He mentioned that with his black seats he could dye a few inches at a time and then wipe up the excess without any noticeable traces on the leather.

Reactions: mnl1121
#11 · (Edited)
I dyed my stitching green to match my car about a year ago. I bought a fabric dye marker at Hobby Lobby for cheap to try it out. I simply colored in the stitching in sections and wiped off the leather while it was still wet. It looks fantastic when done. Really makes the inside pop. Unfortunately the dye has to be redone every couple months because it fades. The seats are easy to do the steering wheel is a little harder in that it's hard to color the whole stitch. Hard to explain I guess the stitches are tighter there or something. I have thought about a more permanent marker like sharpee to see if if lasts longer.

#17 ·
I thought about this, watched a lot of DYI videos on the topic. After much testing on different types of leather with white stitching. I choose not to do it. Most DYI’s tell you to do a little section at a time then wipe that area, if you have go back over it; then do so. What I found out no matter how small the section and no matter how much you wiped, or how hard you wiped, there was still ink residue left on the leather around the stitch. For me that was unacceptable call it my OCD kicking in. So I would advise in doing a few samples to make sure you like it. Just my two cents, I still have white stitching.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.