Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Getting back to a mustang!

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Voltwings 
#1 ·
whats up guys! its been awhile since ive been on here lol so long story short i had a 2010 gt awhile back sold it like a DA:banghead: and bought a diesel and played around with that for a little while well the fun died off of that and i just sold it and im thinking of getting a coyote next spring and throwing a paxton on it:thumb: was gonna get a z06 buttttt decided against it. I just couldnt bring myself to buy a chevy since my fords have always been great vehicles. Anyways i was wondering if theres anything i need to know about these 5.0s before i get one. Are certain years better than others? Any year specific issues? What rwhp is the clutch good to? And i make a few trips to florida a year what kind of MPG can i expect with a m6, 3.73s, and a paxton? I know i know im probably beating a dead horse but ive been out of the game a few years and im trying to get up to speed again. And yes ive been digging through threads and gathering info slowly lol So glad to finally be back:dance:

#2 · (Edited)
Welcome back! On stock internals I wouldnt go near 700, tune is key. As for the clutch it will depends how you drive it because i have seen people on stock clutch make passes with near 650 hp but then there's people who lose their clutch with far less power. As for mpg someone else will have to chime in.

#4 ·
600-650 is the limit for stock motor. About the same for the clutch. If your going to gear it go for 4.10's in the manual. Everyone says there to Much they are not. If you have the car set up for them you will not turn back.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#5 ·
well theres a 99% chance bob kurgan will be tuning mine as hes local to me. Is he still pretty good? i know the last time i was in the mustang scene bob kurgan was the man allegedly. 4.10 wouldnt be to much with a centri? it just seems like by the time the blower was at full boost id be having to shift, i may be wrong as its been awhile lol. Probably just gonna spend the money for a mcleod clutch just for peace of mind. And as far as driving style im not gonna be doing any hard launches with slicks or anything like that. my heavy foot usually occurs on the highway so i would think that the driveshaft should be safe for a little while. How about wheel hop? i know my 2010 had wheel hop like a SOB, put some LCAs on it and she was golden. is that a issue with the 11+?

#7 ·
Would a boss 302 be worth the extra cash? from what ive read, correct me if im wrong, but the internals are alot more beefier. Multi layer headgasket, forged internals, better suspension, better brakes, etc. A low mileage 5.0 can be had around here for low 20s and a boss for low 30s is it worth the extra 10K? Goal is 600-650rwhp. Or a 08-09 shelby can be had for around low 30s also. to many decisions lol

#8 ·
On my track pack 2014 with a M6 and 3.73 I struggle to exceed 15 mpg on city driving. I have yet to see anything over 20 on the highway even if I stay around 70 mph. No clue as to how it has a 25 mpg highway rating??

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#10 ·
I have a full exhaust and Cobrajet set up on the top end with a 3.31 M6 and i'll see 26-27 MPG on the highway and around 19 in the city. The paxton will actually improve your Hwy gas mileage because of the better atomization, i have a lot of experience with boosted cars on the highway. My last car was a big turbo mazdaspeed3 getting 35 mpg hwy with 500 whp lol.

As far as gearing, i wouldnt go over 3.55 if you do plan on boosting it, much more than that and you're just A. spinning the tires, or B. going through the powerband too fast to do anything with it, a 3.31 is much better for a boosted car with a broad torque curve.

LCA's and brackets were also the very first mod i made to the car, as well as an ADJ panhard bar, and i cant believe the difference it made. When i ride in my friends mustangs and they shift the car bucks and bounces and is all over the place, mine is smooooth and planted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.