Supercharger Installed - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2014, 06:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Supercharger Installed

Once we ordered a supercharger from Team Beefcake Racing, I started studying the installation of the Vortech V3 supercharger. Talked at length with Terry at TBR and chose the route we wanted to go with the motor.

Vortech V3 3.60 pulley
Injector Dynamics ID1000 injectors
MaxFlow Boost A Pump Fuel Booster
Brisk Plugs (one step cooler)
JLT High Performance Intake
Jon Lund Tuned

Got a Roush Lower grill delete so she would be able to show her new teeth.
Once we got a break, I was pretty well versed in what we needed to do.
We began the install and break down of everything. Some of the sequencing of the build, looking back, we could have saved a LOT of time, had we done things in a different order. A couple of changes from the Vortech package we did, was replaced the supplied plastic coolant tank with an aluminum powder coated tank. We also blocked off and did not used the Vortech BOV. Instead, bought a prefabbed elbow with a Tial 50mm Race BOV.

Install was not too bad. Some of the most tedious things were building the supercharger bracket. Most of the modification stuff took the longest. Modifications to the coolant lines and locations and modifications to the fan. Once we began the actual building of the supercharger, it went pretty straight forward. I would say anyone with moderate mechanical skills can do this. My son did most of it so he is now VERY familiar with everything and how it goes together and what its role is.
The Roush Grill Delete was every bit as difficult to complete as anything in this build! Some tight fits and once again, we lost a ton of time on sequencing. We had already done the intercooler install and piping before we began the grill delete. We had to remove a LOT of what we had done to go back and install the Roush grill delete. Had we known, we would have done it a LOT earlier. Same with spark plugs and injectors. Should have done those first, not last.
We loaded the base tune from Lund Racing and started her up. She idled good, but upon revs, it would rev ok on a quick rev, but horrible trying to bring slowly up to rpms. I data logged and with a remote session with Jon Lund and instantly, he messaged me to check the MAF sensor connection. DOH!
Somehow, we had forgot to plug it in
Needless to say, started back up and she ran beautifully. Data logged another set (idle log & neutral rev log) Sent that set to Jon and made some slight changes. Car is running AWESOME. We will do another set of pulls and data logs tomorrow on a final tuning session.
All in all, it is a freak'n awesome sounding beast now. Once again, my son and I shared a good weekend learning and working on his car.

Here is a video of her after we finished:
Vortech Install - YouTube
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I was wondering when you'd wrap this up. Can't wait to see what she puts down! Looking great as always guys.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Region: Massachusetts
Good work my friend
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 07:31 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was wondering when you'd wrap this up. Can't wait to see what she puts down! Looking great as always guys.
We had to have a break in his tournament schedule. We still have some work to do, complete the front Eibach R2 Coilover install and I still need to put the breather system I built on. We got the rear suspension done.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 05-20-2014, 09:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Install looks good, what kind of hp do expect it to make ?
Dyno in the future ?

" Chance favors the prepared mind "
* SOLD * 2011 776rwhp.......documented " 1 of 2 "
2014 - detuned to 780rwhp
2017 F150 Lariat Scab, 5.0
1 Alibi 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

1 Alibi 2, we will tune with a target of no more that 610-625rwhp max. We have our final tuning session this morning with Jon Lund II @ 10am (remote)
He did a second revision and sent it and my son is downloading it as we speak. We will do a couple more logs and send them to Jon to see if he wants to tweak anything else before he calls it good.
The car drives like stock right now not in boost. Idles great, very smooth with normal driving, but above 3500 rpms, it is a different car now. I think it will probably dyno right in our target range with the mods we have. I have a couple cars that we know of with our same mods that make the power we are looking at. One difference is we run a 90mm TB as they run the stock TB, so we can compare after we put this car on some rollers.
I would note: remote tuning with Lund Racing is awesome. It was part of the deal with Team Beefcake Racing where we bought the Supercharger. We sat it up on his site and it has been the easiest way to work things on tuning a car. Within minutes of our logs being downloaded, we get responses. Revisions are a breeze and it can all be done in your driveway. I can't imagine the car getting better than with the first revision we had, but we will see. So far, I can't say enough about the experience we have had with dealing with both Terry Reeves @ Beefcake Racing and Jon Lund II @ Lund Racing.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:05 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Wholly crap! We have completed our tuning with Lund and this car is running SO good! Jon did a couple of revisions and when this car is in boost it reminds me of an old 2 stroke motocross bike hitting its "power band"
On WOT pulls, everything is the same until about 3600rpms and this thing TAKES OFF! Just cruising, everything is normal except for changing gears and that Tial BOV makes the musical swoosh. Cant believe how happy we are with the results of this mod. Hats off to Team Beefcake Racing and Lund Racing. They made this a breeze to do it ourselves.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Nice! Good to hear everything went well
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:38 PM   #9

Sweet! Congrats.

What did you do with the track pack oil cooler lines? Is this the coolant lines you refer to that had to be modified?
solscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:19 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Nothing with the oil cooler lines. The coolant lines you have to modify are the engine coolant lines and it takes some work. Just plumbing, but cutting, adding fittings, rerouting etc. Only the old Vortech units were fed by your engine oil. The new ones are self contained.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:40 PM   #11

I've heard stories of the boss oil cooler getting in the way of some of the s/c plumbing on Paxton/vortec. I was wondering of that was your experience. Doesn't sound like it. 👍
solscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Things are tight, but we were able to make everything fit fine. We went with a different location for our BOV than what comes on the stock Vortech kit. Had we installed that BOV, things would have even been tighter. The Tial BOV is on the elbow just prior to the turn into the intercooler. the Vortech BOV would be further up on the rise between the radiator under the head unit. That area gets pretty tight.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:37 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
numbers???
Ravnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Haven't put it on a set of rollers yet. It WILL lay down between 610 and 650 at the rear wheels though. We will dyno it soon and I will post the numbers.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:52 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Congrats Deerslayer! Let me know if you ever attend a 'cars and coffee' at the oasis so I can checkout your build. Looks dick man.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry Deerslayer I meant ' looks sick' glws damn iPhone keyboard lol
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:10 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Wow!!! My favorite 2011+build so far! I cant wait to see those numbers and Im really inspired! Keep it up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Gotta Have It Green GT 2013 | Recaro | Brembo | Track | 3.73 Rear End | Boss 302 Intake Manifold -Dynatech Long Tube Headers - Magnaflow Full Exhaust & Tru X Pipe 3 - JLT Intake- SCT 91 Tune - BMR Pan Hard Bar - SR Performance Sway Bar Kit - Steeda Strut Bar - MGW Shifter Kit - Hankook RS3 275 Rear - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Roush Front Lip & Roush Full Side Skirts
Hulk 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 08:59 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

We downloaded the last revision from Lund this evening and took it out for a few pulls logging. WOW. This thing is stupid fast.

Quote:
Congrats Deerslayer! Let me know if you ever attend a 'cars and coffee' at the oasis so I can checkout your build. Looks dick man.
LOL....I read that and just thought I was old and don't know new lingo
We are going to try to make the cars n coffee in July. The one in June, he will have the car back at oSu doing a camp.

Now that it is tuned and running like this, we will detail the engine bay again. Plans are too black out the visible SS clamps, blacken the Throttle Body and carbon fiber the JLT pipe. I also had the guy that did our carbon fiber cup holder door do us a custom carbon fiber badge for the intake tube.
Old 05-20-2014, 10:11 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Godley that car is stunning!

What do you by carbon fiber the JLT pipe? Ur gonna be the carbon fiber one or your gonna wrap it?

Gotta Have It Green GT 2013 | Recaro | Brembo | Track | 3.73 Rear End | Boss 302 Intake Manifold -Dynatech Long Tube Headers - Magnaflow Full Exhaust & Tru X Pipe 3 - JLT Intake- SCT 91 Tune - BMR Pan Hard Bar - SR Performance Sway Bar Kit - Steeda Strut Bar - MGW Shifter Kit - Hankook RS3 275 Rear - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Roush Front Lip & Roush Full Side Skirts
Old 05-21-2014, 05:11 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Very nice! Looks great and sounds AWESOME! Look forward to the numbers.
Old 05-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you by carbon fiber the JLT pipe? Ur gonna be the carbon fiber one or your gonna wrap it?
I am hoping at some point, they make a Carbon Fiber Intake that is complete from the head unit. For now, we are going to take the visible TBolt clamps off and blacken them using a Stainless Steel blackener. I will be blackening the Throttle body as well. The one shiny black JLT piece will be wrapped in 3M 1080 carbon fiber wrap. Trying to decide which looks better now, the Carbon Fiber radiator cover we have or the satin black OEM radiator cover. I will be going over all of the visible clamps to black everything out. (including the ends of the tower brace)
Old 05-21-2014, 10:13 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Not that your engine bay is already sick as hell but you guys will definetly rock this one:
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400684995740.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	157449Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1400685005859.jpg
Views:	478
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	157450

CF radiator shroud

I want it but its around 500ish and I prefer to put that money to performance..

Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

We have a real carbon fiber one. Here is a pic of it on the car prior to the SC build:
Mustang Evolution - Deerslayer's Album: CarbonHorse - Picture
Old 05-21-2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Does this car ever see the track or is it all about dyno numbers?
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Road Tracks. Hallsville in between Tulsa & Stillwater and it will be at Harris Hill here in ATX. Not a stripper tho. LOL dynoqueen
Old 05-21-2014, 03:26 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Hey.. i noticed that with your new setup you arent using ur JLT CAI CF. Is it for sale?

Old 05-21-2014, 05:00 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Hey.. i noticed that with your new setup you arent using ur JLT CAI CF. Is it for sale?
As a matter of fact it is. It is polished and awaiting to be posted for sale. $250 for the Carbon Fiber Intake and $50 for the Carbon Fiber Coolant Tank Cover.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:52 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Pm sent.

Old 05-25-2014, 06:57 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Did some detailing on the engine bay, installed the dual Breather Collector as well. Black Out City.

Old 05-25-2014, 07:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1401063312382.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	157843

Old 05-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Nice ride. U should stop by when you come through okc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
MP187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:22 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Maximum Motorsports camber plates. I've been looking into camber plates for my suspension install, any reason you want with this brand instead of the BMR or J&M? Just lookin' for input is all.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

For the Eibach R2 coilovers, Maximum is the only ones that make them specifically for the R2's
Old 05-26-2014, 08:35 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
This is my favorite car on the site. You are always doing something cool with it!
Old 05-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
For the Eibach R2 coilovers, Maximum is the only ones that make them specifically for the R2's
Is that Vortech kit intercooled ?
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT