Should I Get a Mustang For College - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-19-2014, 07:23 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Should I Get a Mustang For College

I will be buying a new vehicle for college. I have never owned a Mustang before. I am interested in a GT 5.0. Also, what transmission should I get? I would plan on doing modifications in the future such as intake, tune, long tube headers, and full straight pipe. If I eventually have the money, maybe a supercharger!

What all do I need to know before buying one?
RedRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 07:36 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
I will be buying a new vehicle for college. I have never owned a Mustang before. I am interested in a GT 5.0. Also, what transmission should I get? I would plan on doing modifications in the future such as intake, tune, long tube headers, and full straight pipe. If I eventually have the money, maybe a supercharger!

What all do I need to know before buying one?

Do you mean brand new? Don't you want to try to live as frugally as possible while in college and reward yourself after you succeed with a good paying job in your field of study?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:38 PM   #3

I would get a somewhat new, used Mustang... Not straight from the factory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-19-2014, 07:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Should I Get a Mustang For College

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRaider View Post
I would get a somewhat new, used Mustang... Not straight from the factory.

What's your budget? Do you plan to finance a portion of it? Have you checked with your insurance agent to see what your premiums will be for different models and years? Will you be living in the dorms? Is there a safe place to park the car at school?
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:51 PM   #5
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Just remember the costs......

1. Car payment
2. Insurance payment (if its financed it has to be full coverage)
3. Gas
4. You will want to modify it
5. Car Events (Shows, Drag Strip, Autocross ect...)
6. School costs
7. Friends

Even if you have a decent job during college and can actually afford this, i would highly still consider getting an older one so you can save money for college loans if you have any, because the sooner you knock those out the sooner you will be able to get an even better car or house after college.

Example: I'm just finishing up my Freshman year of college. My 2001 Bullitt is completely paid for and is fairly modified.... BUT, i save 70% of what i make to go to my loans, yea right now if i wanted i could take the money i have saved and sell my car and buy a Cobra for cash, but i'll live with the small expenses for now and then just buy an even nicer car after college.

Even when i was first planning on getting my Mustang i didn't really think about all the hidden costs like this. Believe me, i spend most of my time working or doing school work and rarely actually hang out with friends, yea you can have a pretty badass car and make some good money like that, but sometimes no social life does suck.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 08:15 PM   #6

Well, as of right now, I have been working since I was able to. I am a farmer who has always driven trucks and will continue to own them. My family and I operate a large wheat operation and I receive some of the profit. Right now, I have the finances to buy either a Mustang or an F-150. I personally want a Mustang--- faster and cheaper (more money for mods). I will still own a truck for work. The problem as of this point is that my parents want me to get a truck. How do I convince them otherwise?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
ME Bloodhound
Staff

If its your money how can they tell you what car to spend it on?

HID end all thread
Old 05-19-2014, 08:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
If its your money how can they tell you what car to spend it on?
That's what I think! I really believe they are basing this decision on safety.
How do the Mustangs compare to F-150s on safety features?
Old 05-19-2014, 08:24 PM   #9
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Just as safe... Just because a truck is big and slow doesn't mean it can't be utterly totaled and kill you. Hell, i started out with a truck and i had serious road rage and drove aggressively, after i got the Mustang i actually have become a lot more calm driver.

HID end all thread
Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Yes, no doubt buy one. Got my son one, he took his with him and made awesome grades his first year...had to be the car
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
I bought a 1 year old v6 before starting college. Everyone has a truck...get the car.

Sent from my massive johnson.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
If you really want one you would know what you want we shouldn't be telling you . Shouldn't u finish college first then buy a new car ? Lol I must have did things backwards or I was just poor before haha good luck
Moto111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:29 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Let's face it, he's gonna either get himself a truck or mustang, so let's give him mustang ideas.

With the release of the '15, you can get absolute killer deals on '13s and '14s. Some things to look for: Do you want...
The track package (upgraded radiator, oil cooler, .373 torsen diff)? Track pack comes w/ brembo package
Comfort package? (heated seats, pony projector lights)
Recaro seats (highly recommended)?
Tech package, with track apps (also recommended)?
Electronics package w/Navigation & back up cameras?
Shaker 500 or 1000 or basic audio?
Brembo Brake package (huge brembo brakes in front plus limited run wheels)?
What gearing do you prefer? .315 (auto only), .331, .355, .373?

It seems most of the issues with the MT82 manual transmission have been ironed out for '13 and '14, but the automatic is pretty much bulletproof. I prefer the manual, but I can see a case for the auto.

If you just want a fast daily driver, pass on the trackpack and brembo packages. AM sells great aftermarket wheels. You can get a .373 without the rest of the trackpack.

...with Marcie, I went with a GT base but got the options I wanted, specifically the trackpack. I knew I'd be doing my own audio, and I had no real use for the navigation, cameras, heated seats, pony lights and all that other stuff that just adds weight and complexity. I kick myself for not getting recaros...they are pretty pricey to source in the aftermarket. ALSO everyone knows black cars are fastest

Depending on your options, I'd say 30-35k for a new '14 isn't unreasonable. You can probably find a used '11 or '12 for around 20-25, or a '13 for 25-27.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Be careful tho, my son being a freshman, the seniors on the team wrapped his car before workouts trying to make him late
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

+1 on that ^

My Mustang got messed with so much at first, i had to park in a completely different area to avoid it.

HID end all thread
Old 05-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #16
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Just remember the costs......

1. Car payment
2. Insurance payment (if its financed it has to be full coverage)
3. Gas
4. You will want to modify it
5. Car Events (Shows, Drag Strip, Autocross ect...)
6. School costs
7. Friends

Even if you have a decent job during college and can actually afford this, i would highly still consider getting an older one so you can save money for college loans if you have any, because the sooner you knock those out the sooner you will be able to get an even better car or house after college.

Example: I'm just finishing up my Freshman year of college. My 2001 Bullitt is completely paid for and is fairly modified.... BUT, i save 70% of what i make to go to my loans, yea right now if i wanted i could take the money i have saved and sell my car and buy a Cobra for cash, but i'll live with the small expenses for now and then just buy an even nicer car after college.

Even when i was first planning on getting my Mustang i didn't really think about all the hidden costs like this. Believe me, i spend most of my time working or doing school work and rarely actually hang out with friends, yea you can have a pretty badass car and make some good money like that, but sometimes no social life does suck.
^You said it best, Andrew.

From someone who has been there, done that, I can say while it is so tempting to get a newer Mustang, I can assure you, it's worth it to wait. I stretched my budget on mine while I don't regret getting it, I should've snagged a NewEdge and waited to get an S197.

Paying a car payment sucks, being lonely sucks, you can't study and work all the time. Not having money for mods
sucks.

Yeah an older V8 or V6 may not have as much power, but you know when you get done, you'll be able to afford a much nicer stang.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I moved a TV, guitar, guitar Amp, all my clothes, my computer and a few other odds and ends in and out of a dorm in my 01 mustang which was even smaller than my 5.0. If you know how to do it, this car has a lot of space lol, i say go for it.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT