MT82 issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-20-2014, 01:59 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
MT82 issue

I'm having an issue with my MT82. When I'm at a complete stop it sometimes it feels like there's a wall blocking me from going all the way into 1st gear while I have the clutch pedal fully pressed down. I have to keep pressure on the shifter into 1st & slowly let off the clutch maybe 1/4 of the way up till it lets me go into 1st. Is this something common with the MT82 or what can be the issue. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 09:05 AM   #2
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
try going into 2nd then 1st.... also make sure you are compensating for the centering spring. do NOT force it
Old 05-20-2014, 09:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Mud View Post
try going into 2nd then 1st.... also make sure you are compensating for the centering spring. do NOT force it
No I don't force it usually letting off the clutch slowly will "unlock" the wall that feels like is there. Yea going into 2nd then 1st also works. What does compensating for the centering spring mean? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Staff

Regular
Staff

the spring is what centers the shift lever.....It normally won't mess with first but when going from 1 to 2 you need to keep pressure to the left or sometimes you'll get blocked. When going from 2 to 3 just push the shifter forward the spring will guide you into 3rd (or 4th) remember on dfownshifting from 6 to 5 to keep pressure to the right or you can hit 3rd which is entertaining.......the spring has little (if anything) to do with 1st gear blocking the 2nd then 1st is the common/what I suggest cure. the 1st gear difficulty is common in all transmissions I find the MT82 one you need to pay attention to for every shift as it is fussy and requires concentration. I admit to enjoying practicing the 4th (or 5th) to 3rd gear downshift for two lane blacktop passing moves.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
the spring is what centers the shift lever.....It normally won't mess with first but when going from 1 to 2 you need to keep pressure to the left or sometimes you'll get blocked. When going from 2 to 3 just push the shifter forward the spring will guide you into 3rd (or 4th) remember on dfownshifting from 6 to 5 to keep pressure to the right or you can hit 3rd which is entertaining.......the spring has little (if anything) to do with 1st gear blocking the 2nd then 1st is the common/what I suggest cure. the 1st gear difficulty is common in all transmissions I find the MT82 one you need to pay attention to for every shift as it is fussy and requires concentration. I admit to enjoying practicing the 4th (or 5th) to 3rd gear downshift for two lane blacktop passing moves.
Ummmmm no............... Its a assist spring. Take it off. It will solve your problem. Especially on 2nd-3rd gear lockout. Clutch pressure will be a little more

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I also had a problem that my v6 won't go into 1st gear without grinding it will always pop out of 1st and ford went to look at it and said nothing is wrong, check your linkage for the transmission
BoostedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh ok. I just wanna make sure it's a common problem with the mt82 & not just something I'm seeing!

---------- Post added at 05:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Ummmmm no............... Its a assist spring. Take it off. It will solve your problem. Especially on 2nd-3rd gear lockout. Clutch pressure will be a little more Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I wanna do this. Do u know a link to a good instructional video or write up I can use?
Old 05-20-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedStang View Post
I also had a problem that my v6 won't go into 1st gear without grinding it will always pop out of 1st and ford went to look at it and said nothing is wrong, check your linkage for the transmission
Yea it grinds & pops if I don't put it in all the way!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Here you go

http://youtu.be/iy7MOEuYVj4

Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here you go http://youtu.be/iy7MOEuYVj4 Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Thanks Rap ima get it out ASAP!
Old 05-20-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
Thanks Rap ima get it out ASAP!
Anytime bud

Old 05-20-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Here you go

2011-2014 Mustang and 13-14 GT500 Clutch Assist Spring Removal the easy way - YouTube

For anyone reading this thread with a 3.7, on mine, it made all my issues MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.

For me, the clutch wouldn't fully disengage. It was like pushing the clutch pedal down halfway and trying to shift. It simply did not work, at all, for me.

Also, my clutch pedal got a lot lighter after doing this, as in a mouse fart or small breeze could push the pedal to the floor.

Maybe my clutch is just F'd. Who knows.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Mine has locked me out of 1st and 2nd quite a few times. It gets me really aggravated.
Justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 09:02 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ish416 View Post
For anyone reading this thread with a 3.7, on mine, it made all my issues MUCH MUCH MUCH worse.

For me, the clutch wouldn't fully disengage. It was like pushing the clutch pedal down halfway and trying to shift. It simply did not work, at all, for me.

Also, my clutch pedal got a lot lighter after doing this, as in a mouse fart or small breeze could push the pedal to the floor.

Maybe my clutch is just F'd. Who knows.
Clutch must be going out. Its completely opposite for me.
Clutch is even stiffer now

Old 05-21-2014, 05:39 AM   #15
Staff

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Ummmmm no............... Its a assist spring. Take it off. It will solve your problem. Especially on 2nd-3rd gear lockout. Clutch pressure will be a little more

you just misread me. The centering spring is what centers the shifter...the Clutch assist spring is something differant as I'm sure you know

OP, this is a fussy transmission, you'll learn (hopefully) to always pay attention to your shifts and learn to tell when it's not all the way in 1st just try the 2nd then 1st trick. Also remember to push the clutch down all the way.

Ish, your clutch got lighter? I have not done this but that ain't what I would expect.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:23 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
If you ever get to drive an older manual shift school bus you'll understand where ford got the "MT82 torture the driver" idea. The old top loader would have been soooooo much better. This is an example of world marketing. Imported junk. In a $20K car it's OK. In a $30K car or higher, no way. Sales killer. I put it in the same column as the weak independent rear in the Camaro. Another sales killer. Accountants run the company and it shows.
Black12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Like I said earlier. I have no problems out of my mt-82. Just a lot of dragging yo *** with it

Old 05-21-2014, 10:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Seems like this is just a normal mt82 thing which is the main thing I wanted to know. I recently switched to a short shifter & it kind of made it harder to find 1st but I think it's just a matter of getting used to it. On the oem shifter it was easier to tell because of the longer throw.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like I said earlier. I have no problems out of my mt-82. Just a lot of dragging yo *** with it

I can't figure out what your deal is? You post here once a day with incorrect information and when someone points it out you reply with "I'll drag your ***?"

I'm really starting to think you are a 17 year old kid with a Ford Taurus and like to watch "Street Outlaws" on a 24 hour loop.

This transmission is documented time and time again for problems. That's no secret. Mine locks out of 1st and second at a stop. It locked out of 3rd until the Barton shifter. Now it locks out of 4th at the track. Also, My clutch sticks to the floor.

I want to take the Clutch assist spring out of mine for the clutch problem but I just feel uncomfortable with monkeying with the clutch pedal assembly. I believe the spring in the transmission for the shift pattern is what they were referencing above. There's nothing you can do about that.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin81 View Post
I can't figure out what your deal is? You post here once a day with incorrect information and when someone points it out you reply with "I'll drag your ***?"

I'm really starting to think you are a 17 year old kid with a Ford Taurus and like to watch "Street Outlaws" on a 24 hour loop.

This transmission is documented time and time again for problems. That's no secret. Mine locks out of 1st and second at a stop. It locked out of 3rd until the Barton shifter. Now it locks out of 4th at the track. Also, My clutch sticks to the floor.

I want to take the Clutch assist spring out of mine for the clutch problem but I just feel uncomfortable with monkeying with the clutch pedal assembly. I believe the spring in the transmission for the shift pattern is what they were referencing above. There's nothing you can do about that.
Was not directing the dragging you *** to anyone specifically. You have a hard on for me it looks like. The comment of dragging your *** was directed to my post of no problems out of mine. Just a lot of dragging peoples *** with it. Had a 300 shot rolling through it for a little while. And a 200 for a long time. No issues. And I am 25 with a lot of knowledge of these cars. Like I said b4 also #1 is swapping fluids the day you bought the car.
Keep having a hard on for me and attacking me. I feed off of it.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:48 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Like i said I will be up in Pennsylvania soon. To get my guys ready for work up there/ get a shop. And I will be more than happy to trailer my car up there.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Fluid change
Stainless clutch line
Barton shifter/ bracket
Assist spring removed
whiteline mount.
All from day one. No problems.

Like i said only issues I have had with this car is the stock motor and twisting my axle tubes

Old 05-21-2014, 10:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ish, your clutch got lighter? I have not done this but that ain't what I would expect.
Yes it did. Like a lot lighter. Which is the opposite of what everyone says it should do. It was so bad that just simply accelerating past 5,000 rpm, the clutch pedal would sink to the floor all on it's own.

I drove the car about 10 miles before re-installing the spring (2nd spring btw).

Here is my thread on the clutch pedal issue on my 3.7 - Clutch pedal sticking..

My shifter itself is extremely loose. As in put it into a gear and the shifter can move side to side about an inch and a half either way. It's like that in every gear. Has been since new.

I will say that I have never been locked out of a gear unless the clutch pedal is on the floor.

I am seriously, seriously considering either putting in a Tremec or selling the car because of this junk transmission.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:58 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Fluid change
Stainless clutch line
Barton shifter/ bracket
Assist spring removed
whiteline mount.
All from day one. No problems.
I would really like to do this, just afraid that if I do, my MT82 will still crap out on me and then my warranty would be no good.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:01 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Was not directing the dragging you *** to anyone specifically. You have a hard on for me it looks like. The comment of dragging your *** was directed to my post of no problems out of mine. Just a lot of dragging peoples *** with it. Had a 300 shot rolling through it for a little while. And a 200 for a long time. No issues. And I am 25 with a lot of knowledge of these cars. Like I said b4 also #1 is swapping fluids the day you bought the car.
Keep having a hard on for me and attacking me. I feed off of it.

I can't help it bro. It irk's me to see a guy so sure of his responses that are so wrong. You can trailer up an d go anywhere you want but keep the *** dragging in Alabama with your sisters and cousins. We don't roll that way in the North.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:05 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I would really like to do this, just afraid that if I do, my MT82 will still crap out on me and then my warranty would be no good.
That's exactly the way I feel. ^

BTW, I just took a second to look at your avatar and it's hillarious
Old 05-21-2014, 11:06 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I am seriously, seriously considering either putting in a Tremec or selling the car because of this junk transmission.
I've had the same feeling many times.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin81 View Post
I can't help it bro. It irk's me to see a guy so sure of his responses that are so wrong. You can trailer up an d go anywhere you want but keep the *** dragging in Alabama with your sisters and cousins. We don't roll that way in the North.
Hard on for me like a true champ buddy. I'm in Texas also by the way. And the *** dragging is real big up there rev auto takes care of all that up north.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:09 AM   #29
Staff

Regular
Staff

Ish, thx for link....interesting and I wish I could give good advise but not a clue. I will say the thing that helped mine (besides learning it's quirks) were motor mounts but I doubt that will be your solution.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:10 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

How are my responses wrong? The timing thing my tuner is getting me proof of that there is multiple timing tables. Simple minded people can't look past that. Like he said its hard for people to understand it. BC y'all won't look outside the box to see your " adding " timing when its happening through the multiple tables

Old 05-21-2014, 11:15 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I don't care if the timing is coming from a table in the 3rd dimension outer space.

Your quote was "No, No, No the car can not add timing!"

That, is wrong! The computer is advancing timing. I watch it happen in real time with my Livewire the entire time it's running. And My tuner is John Lund who is practically famous for his tuning on S-197 Platform cars.
Old 05-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yes its not going to add timing automatically. Its in another timing table that you are seeing. Dam hard headed

---------- Post added at 11:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:19 AM ----------

Omg john Lund!!!! Bow bow to you bud.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:46 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Send a message via AIM to Borii
I think the word "normal" gets thrown around way too much. Something that is common doesn't mean it is normal.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 03:00 PM   #34
Staff

Regular
Staff

I say it's "normal but it doesn't make it right" In honesty my low mileage V6 toy is fine just fussy. It doesn't shift consistently sometimes it is Amazing other times it's rough/notchy. I've been driving sticks long enough. I THINK some folks issues are self inflicted but I don't think this is a reliable unit. NO facts just opinion....my biggest fear with my early build 2012 is a bad bearing I don't have any signs yet but have seen enough folks have them go....slight chance but it's a $8.00 part that will cost 2-3K to get replaced. I'm familiar enough with bearing to know some mfr's don't sell/make good quality ones.

It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed the cruise home....I debated doing the 5th to 3rd downshift around a Prius that was doing 40 but didn't want to reinforce the stereotype. I do have impulse control once in a while
Old 05-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It was a beautiful day and I enjoyed the cruise home....I debated doing the 5th to 3rd downshift around a Prius that was doing 40 but didn't want to reinforce the stereotype. I do have impulse control once in a while
I do 6th to 2nd on the highway if I really need to pass with a quickness. Them 2.73 gears are tall.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT