Challenger owner here... Convince me to buy a Mustang! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2014, 05:27 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
When I was looking to buy a performance type car, I was seriously looking at the Challenger. I love the looks and ride of them. What I didn't like was the cylinder shut off system the automatic equipped cars had. To me, every time the engine switched from 8 to 4 cyl or back, it felt like the engine had a slight miss. I drove two different cars with the 5.7L and they both did it.

The other issue was at the time, I only wanted the PCP color and there were none local and the dealers wanted to charge me to have one shipped which I was not willing to do. I said screw it and went with the Mustang.

I don't regret the Mustang since it feels slightly faster and doesn't have the MSD system. The aftermarket support is also way better. I do think the Challenger looks slightly better and has a better ride and is a larger car. One day I plan on owning a Challenger. Good luck on your decision as they are both great cars.

Wayne
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 08:48 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I love the looks of the challenger and test drove one 2 years ago but it doesn't drive like a gt. The 5.0 isn't perfect but it's the closest thing you'll get from a muscle care. It's definitely the most satisfying of the 3 to drive.
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

I currently have a 2013 5.0 and have had the R/T and had a 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP before I traded it for the Mustang. Love the ride and top end power of the 5.0 but loved the G8 due to not every other car on the road was one.. but for the money and the amount of mods u can do to the coyote it's the winner.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
medic204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have nothing positive to say whatsoever. I don't want to it to sound mean or be rude. This isn't personal at all, and just how I have interpreted it and from experience.

chrysler does the very least they can to get by. How Lincoln does luxury, chrysler does their cars. They seem to have a list and just check boxes.

Camaro and Mustang are doing great, we need something! Make it look like a muscle car!

Wow, a whole lot of growth in 40 years...

So they took a challenger, and did nothing but make it fat.

Their engines are underpowered. Their 5.7 makes 375. While Fords 5.0 makes 420. I'm no math genius, but clearly the 5.0 is more efficient.

15 mpg city, 23 highway reflects that efficiency, too. Compared to the GT making 45 more horsepower, the GT hits the same 15 and 26 on the highway. Yes, it's only 3 mpg better- but it avoids gas guzzler tax and is pushing more power, which feels even faster carrying less weight.

chrysler charges too much for what they sell. I don't look at v8 pricing, because I have no need for the power, but for a V6 challenger, it starts at 26.5 vs 22.3 for the (14) Mustang.

I've sat in them, but couldn't bring myself to drive them. Even the high performance (wow, they can make 470 HP with ONLY 6.4 litres...) one I was in was too much price, and not enough on paper to even turn the key. I guess I should say push the start button...I prefer my key, myself.

What you like is what you like, though. If we didn't have good competition like the Camaro, the Mustang wouldn't ever improve. Think about the stagnation up until 2011.

The only challengers I see are driven by people who liked their last one...40 years ago.

chrysler has the right idea. In 40 years I will get fat and slow, but want to look the same. And that's the basic group that can afford them lol. Maybe if they even offered a standard on the v6, I'd have some sympathy. But the challenger is just the product of a low performing company checking a box on having a mid range performance car.

Other than looks, I don't like the charger, either, but at least I see the point. There isn't as much competition for a FR four door under 30k. But the challenger? If ones ever seen a 2011+ Mustang or Camaro, they should just be walking right past.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Why are challenger and Camaro owners on a Mustang forum anyway?
11RaceRedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:07 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

I've browsed other forums. I couldn't handle it long enough to join, though lol

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 05-23-2014, 11:11 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11RaceRedGT View Post
Could be worse ... it could be those guys that have Vtak.
Old 05-23-2014, 11:24 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
the new v6 mustang is the closest competition for the rt. a gt is the best bang for your buck. go with the 5.0 if you want one of the greatest v8s ever.
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

New one should be around 444hp, too.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:31 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

A challenger to me is a Chrysler 300 with two doors and a big motor. It rides like a dream, but weighs a lot. They do look really good, I would like to have one. But I wouldn't choose one over a mustang...ever.

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Sbales88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

buy a 2015 hellcat challenger

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
hd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 11:36 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd85 View Post
buy a 2015 hellcat challenger

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
I'd suggest a 14 GT500. Still more power and still less weight.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:09 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Literally one of the dumbest comments I've ever seen on a forum... I obviously joined to post this thread to see some of the benefits of the mustang over the challenger that I may have overlooked...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
pietran30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 08:27 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietran30 View Post
Literally one of the dumbest comments I've ever seen on a forum... I obviously joined to post this thread to see some of the benefits of the mustang over the challenger that I may have overlooked...

And you came to the right place. You won't find the reasons to buy a Mustang on a Camaro forum. And a dealership doesn't care, 9 times out of 10, they want to sell you anything you'll buy. Here, you find out why we love our cars. Plus, you don't seem like you are trying to cause trouble or an argument. If you keep your challenger, and it makes you happy, good for you. If you get a Mustang and join the forum, we won't mind and I'm betting you'll be just as happy :thumbup:

Old 05-24-2014, 08:46 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietran30 View Post

And another thing, since we are car enthusiasts, there are quite a few of us who own multiple cars of different makes and models, not just Mustangs. The more time you spend here, the better feel you will get for who's who.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:06 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
The 15's have push button start.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Too bad they are heavier and only gained 20 Hp and 10 fptq. New safety
regulations will do that.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I'd suggest a 14 GT500. Still more power and still less weight.

Can't go wrong with a Shelby especially 662 Hp version with the
awesome 5.8 L engine. That car will pretty much eat anything on the road
some Shelby's are pushing 800 RWHP with higher boost. All on stock
drivetrain / engine.
Old 05-24-2014, 10:02 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Really? I don't own a Challenger but I joined a Challenger forum back when I was looking to buy either the Challenger, Mustang, or Camaro to ask questions just like the OP has done here. I still go there a few times a week to see what new info there is. I still even comment every once and a while and congratulate people on their new purchase. One day I plan on owning a Challenger.

I like all kinds of vehicles and am interested in learning about them so I go to all kinds of various forums to do that. I do that for pretty much all products, just not vehicles.

Your attitude is pretty close minded.

Wayne
Old 05-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Really? I don't own a Challenger but I joined a Challenger forum back when I was looking to buy either the Challenger, Mustang, or Camaro to ask questions just like the OP has done here. I still go there a few times a week to see what new info there is. I still even comment every once and a while and congratulate people on their new purchase. One day I plan on owning a Challenger.

I like all kinds of vehicles and am interested in learning about them so I go to all kinds of various forums to do that. I do that for pretty much all products, just not vehicles.

Wayne

+1
Some people need to pull their own fuse 47 sometimes just to clear up the adaptive learning that has caused a disconnect between their brain and their keyboard.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
+1
Some people need to pull their own fuse 47 sometimes just to clear up the adaptive learning that has caused a disconnect between their brain and their keyboard.
Hahah! That's great
Old 05-24-2014, 01:50 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post

Wayne
I like the challenger it looks great modern yet retro much like the S197 but lets great realistic there heavy pigs..... it's all about power to weight ratio.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Why buy a mustang?

I haven't yet see a thread of a mustang owner asking to be convinced to buy a challenger.

Get that Stang!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
Gotta Have It Green GT 2013 | Recaro | Brembo | Track | 3.73 Rear End | Boss 302 Intake Manifold -Dynatech Long Tube Headers - Magnaflow Full Exhaust & Tru X Pipe 3 - JLT Intake- SCT 91 Tune - BMR Pan Hard Bar - SR Performance Sway Bar Kit - Steeda Strut Bar - MGW Shifter Kit - Hankook RS3 275 Rear - Hawk HPS Brake Pads - Roush Front Lip & Roush Full Side Skirts
Hulk 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:33 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangGT02 View Post
Here is my R/T

Bro, your Challenger RT Is absolutely gorgeous and love love love the orange with black stripes. Your car is bad a$$ looking. My only issue with the Challenger is its curb weight and its sports car lack of feel. The Chally was super comfortable when I test drove it but lacked that sports car performance feel too me. With that said, the look of the Challenger is my favorite of the pony cars and would love to own one along side my mustang.

Even my modded 2011 V6 at 300 rwhp is able to eat up Challenger Rt's because of the weight difference, however your Challenger is magnificent looking.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:47 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Bro, your Challenger RT Is absolutely gorgeous and love love love the orange with black stripes. Your car is bad a$$ looking. My only issue with the Challenger is its curb weight and its sports car lack of feel. The Chally was super comfortable when I test drove it but lacked that sports car performance feel too me. With that said, the look of the Challenger is my favorite of the pony cars and would love to own one along side my mustang.

Even my modded 2011 V6 at 300 rwhp is able to eat up Challenger Rt's because of the weight difference, however your Challenger is magnificent looking.

Old 05-25-2014, 08:07 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Havent seen anyone yet recommend that you go drive a 2014 Mustang. From my previous post, they are very different cars. You will know right away if its for you.

If you are looking for a bit more performance, you might consider taking 10k and putting a super charger and suspension in your Challenger.

I have many buddies that are enjoying surprising many Ford and Chevy guys with their SC RT's.
2014GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:34 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

I have always wanted to own two cars. 5.0 because of the style/performance and a corvette ZR1 because it is born to race. If anyone sees a zr1 for a steal please lmk. Lol
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 11:47 AM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Challenger owner here... Convince me to buy a Mustang!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post

Hey gladiatroll. Everywhere has been saying 200 pounds LIGHTER since rumors came up, including mustang6g, which has several Ford employees with close access to the 15. I'll believe what you say when you have actual proof.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:01 PM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Hey gladiatroll. Everywhere has been saying 200 pounds LIGHTER since rumors came up, including mustang6g, which has several Ford employees with close access to the 15. I'll believe what you say when you have actual proof.
U mean the December 2013 article that he posted as evidence isn't an upto date enough evidence? It's only six months old...
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:38 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1401043089.498136.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	297.7 KB
ID:	157804
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:13 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Hey mustangz BASHER I'm just going by what I read but new safety regulations are a FACT , so you figure it out. Plus add IRS to the equation
which adds weight hmmm.... go way back and look at the last few decades cars have been getting heavier not lighter what did the 1964 Mustang weigh ? 2445 lbs eough said.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
They are not heavier. Its a confirmed 200 lb weight reduction. A lot of aluminium this time, Also they are alot smaller then the 10-12's

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #67
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
They are not heavier. Its a confirmed 200 lb weight reduction. A lot of aluminium this time, Also they are alot smaller then the 10-12's

We will see.... confirmed by whom ? Not from the maker Ford never read that....
if and that's a BIG IF it's true that would be great news IRS , lighter more HP
= FAST AS HELL the competition won't have a chance.
Old 05-25-2014, 02:40 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Everything is in here

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/20...-ar114432.html

Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 03:05 PM   #69

if u need to be CONVINCE, then a mustang isnt for you.
91bigred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:26 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

After searching and browsing chrysler challengers, Google started showing me ads for them. Right now they are telling people to lease/buy the 2014, and they will give them a 2015 in exchange later on.

I can't imagine how bad sales are that they would take a hit like that. Anyone see numbers?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT