Challenger owner here... Convince me to buy a Mustang! - Page 4 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 AM   #106
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
OP, the best reason to get a Stang is so you can follow conversations like this........
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #107
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
OP your Challenger is absolutely magnificent and personally love that color on your car. It looks so bad a$$ and personally keep that car. Your car is a constant head tuner and is pure modern day muscle car.

Majority of the people on here are all about performance and 50,000 HP this and 1/4 mile times and 80,000 torque that. The Challenger may not be the fastest of pony cars but its plenty fast for the public roadways and it has the LOOK. When your ride goes down the road I bet you get double and triple head checks of it.

Keep your Challenger and also get a 5.0. Ha ha ha! Keep your Challenger bro!

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 01:57 PM   #108
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
OP your Challenger is absolutely magnificent and personally love that color on your car. It looks so bad a$$ and personally keep that car. Your car is a constant head tuner and is pure modern day muscle car.

Majority of the people on here are all about performance and 50,000 HP this and 1/4 mile times and 80,000 torque that. The Challenger may not be the fastest of pony cars but its plenty fast for the public roadways and it has the LOOK. When your ride goes down the road I bet you get double and triple head checks of it.

Keep your Challenger and also get a 5.0. Ha ha ha! Keep your Challenger bro!

Haha that challenger was another member's from this forum... here are some pics of mine...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1401216994670.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	157990   Click image for larger version

Name:	1401217018335.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	157991  

pietran30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2014, 02:29 PM   #109
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I wanted an SRT8 challenger for 3 years. I never would test drive until I got the price I wanted because I KNEW I would cave and buy. Once I got to where I knew I was going to buy I test drove a Camaro SS, Mustang GT and Challenger SRT8 in that order on my dads advice... just to make sure. I knew it wouldn't matter because I had the SRT8 as my car to trade in for since the Concept came out. I drooled daily.

I did the test drives. Camaro was totally unimpressive and didn't like interior or performance (do like the outside appearance). Then I drove the Mustang ans LOVED it. I was so excited to drive teh SRT8 cause I KNEW it was going to blow me away. I was in the Challenger for 5 minutes and knew... I finished the test drive, left the dealership and went online to find the best price on a Stang. That was my 2011 and now have the 2013. NIGHT and DAY while driving. Challenger feels like you are driving a full size car and didnt like the handling either. Got rid of a 2006 Chrysler 300 and it reminded me of that (maybe because same frame lol).

Mustang all the way. I will never go back. And if that isn't enough I just did 1/4 mile against a 2013 SRT8 and it wasnt even close. If it would have been a road race I would have put even more distance.

Also, Mustangs have more options for Mods and have more clubs and such
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 03:18 PM   #110
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by pietran30 View Post
Haha that challenger was another member's from this forum... here are some pics of mine...

Well in that case since the purple one is not yours , you have to sell your Challenger now and get a mustang. Ba ha ha ha ha ! Totally kidding man! Your Challenger is beautiful and love the black with red rocker stripes. Looks beautiful.

Prior to our mustang purchase my wife and I test drove a 2011 Challenger RT and it road smooth and the engine rumble was great. My biggest two issues with it was the price tag of around 36k and it felt more like a passenger car and less like a sports like car.

In my perfect world, I would have a Challenger because they are my favorite looking retro muscle car and its just an amazing looking automobile. Are you looking for more of a performance, sports like car over your Challenger?.

2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 05:13 PM   #111
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesStang View Post
I wanted an SRT8 challenger for 3 years. I never would test drive until I got the price I wanted because I KNEW I would cave and buy. Once I got to where I knew I was going to buy I test drove a Camaro SS, Mustang GT and Challenger SRT8 in that order on my dads advice... just to make sure. I knew it wouldn't matter because I had the SRT8 as my car to trade in for since the Concept came out. I drooled daily.

I did the test drives. Camaro was totally unimpressive and didn't like interior or performance (do like the outside appearance). Then I drove the Mustang ans LOVED it. I was so excited to drive teh SRT8 cause I KNEW it was going to blow me away. I was in the Challenger for 5 minutes and knew... I finished the test drive, left the dealership and went online to find the best price on a Stang. That was my 2011 and now have the 2013. NIGHT and DAY while driving. Challenger feels like you are driving a full size car and didnt like the handling either. Got rid of a 2006 Chrysler 300 and it reminded me of that (maybe because same frame lol).

Mustang all the way. I will never go back. And if that isn't enough I just did 1/4 mile against a 2013 SRT8 and it wasnt even close. If it would have been a road race I would have put even more distance.

Also, Mustangs have more options for Mods and have more clubs and such
I'm actually surprised by that... I assume the srt was manual? There's guys over on challengertalk who consistently post slips of mid to low 12s in 392 srts at or near stock... mind you, these are autos... from what I have been told, (not from experience) the manual srts vs gts are a driver's race.

Old 05-28-2014, 08:58 AM   #112
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm actually surprised by that... I assume the srt was manual? There's guys over on challengertalk who consistently post slips of mid to low 12s in 392 srts at or near stock... mind you, these are autos... from what I have been told, (not from experience) the manual srts vs gts are a driver's race.

It was a manual and the SRT8 not the 392 version.
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #113
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
OP if you can swing it get a 2014 GT500. Test drive one to see how it stacks up.
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:17 PM   #114
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post
OP if you can swing it get a 2014 GT500. Test drive one to see how it stacks up.
It will blow any challenger(no pun intended) sky high. Not even close in comparison.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #115
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPFury View Post

In my area they don't allow any test drives for gt500s
Mustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:31 PM   #116
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GT View Post
both have flaws. To me the RT drives like a two door caddy. It has a fat *** and does not even remotely feel like a sports car(very disconnected from the road). If I'm going cross country I would opt for the RT.

For a daily driver and track car the mustang GT wins all day long over the RT.... Not even close. amazing engine. the suspension and MT82 have issues that can be annoying but with a few mods IMO its perfect.
what suspension issues are you referring too?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #117
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabishop25 View Post
what suspension issues are you referring too?

My guess would be the LCA squeak, so far no suspension issues for me. And the 6R80 is bulletproof so far, shift points are very sloppy though.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #118
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
... from what I have been told, (not from experience) the manual srts vs gts are a driver's race.
This is what I was told by an manual SRT8 owner who is a friend of mine when I told him of my 2013 3.7/Auto to 2013 GT/MT82 Coyote trade in. Now he is lookin' at F-types to stay ahead
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #119
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
It will blow any challenger(no pun intended) sky high. Not even close in comparison.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Yup Shelbys are mean 662 hp stock 3850 curb weight with a pulley swap
and tune 800 rwhp is no problem and the power train will take the abuse
it is built heavy duty and then of course there is the awesome
5.8 L engine ..... a done up Shelby will pretty much destroy anything.
Even stock they are nasty as hell.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #120
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
This is what I was told by an manual SRT8 owner who is a friend of mine when I told him of my 2013 3.7/Auto to 2013 GT/MT82 Coyote trade in. Now he is lookin' at F-types to stay ahead

There's guys running mid to low 12's in auto 392s. Most stock manual transmissions run 12.7 to 13 seconds depending on the driver.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:36 PM   #121
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
There's guys running mid to low 12's in auto 392s. Most stock manual transmissions run 12.7 to 13 seconds depending on the driver.
Yes like my friend said, manuals between the two are a drivers game; Stik SRT8 vs Stik GT Coyote. And for street driving, we both prefer manuals over autos for the enjoyment of driving vs drag racing edge.

Now I am sure open track guys will sing the song of the manual over auto, Bueller, Bueller?
Old 05-28-2014, 06:43 PM   #122
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Yes like my friend said, manuals between the two are a drivers game; Stik SRT8 vs Stik GT Coyote

Yea... Idc though, I want my next car to be a manual.

Incase anyone cares or is wondering... I think I'm going to wait until they release the specs on the 2015 mustang gt, and the prices on the 2015 392 challenger rt. If the challenger is too expensive, I'll be deciding between the 2015 and 2014 GTs. Thank you everyone for all of your input!
Old 05-28-2014, 08:52 PM   #123
Registered Member
Regular

Am watching this ridiculously stupid movie, Fast 6 and they showed two toy cars racing on a mountain.

One was a GTR, and the other a challenger. One, no street car handles like that, let alone a GTR, and especially not a pig. I hate these movies.

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:05 PM   #124
Registered Member
Regular

Yo, watching a stupid movie, especially one named Fast was the first mistake !
I have seen a GTR at Gingerman Raceway take on BMWs like fish in a bowl...

That semi-auto trans is in two gears at the same time when shifting!
Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 PM   #125
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Am watching this ridiculously stupid movie, Fast 6 and they showed two toy cars racing on a mountain.

One was a GTR, and the other a challenger. One, no street car handles like that, let alone a GTR, and especially not a pig. I hate these movies.

Once you accept that what they do in the movies is not real they are actually pretty good movies. Some of my favorite.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 09:11 PM   #126
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
Once you accept that what they do in the movies is not real they are actually pretty good movies. Some of my favorite.
I will agree to disagree on that, going back to things like Starkey and Hutch !

Silly fun yes, stupid yes, fast ..stupid...
Old 05-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #127
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Yea... Idc though, I want my next car to be a manual.

Incase anyone cares or is wondering... I think I'm going to wait until they release the specs on the 2015 mustang gt, and the prices on the 2015 392 challenger rt. If the challenger is too expensive, I'll be deciding between the 2015 and 2014 GTs. Thank you everyone for all of your input!
Realistically, this is the way to do it. It's still anyone's guess as to what they're doing with the new GT's performance numbers (Frankly I do not see how they are going to drop 400lbs while adding in a newer & heavier independent rear while keeping roughly the same body dimensions and materials...but that's a whole other thread right there ).

The new Chally certainly looks pretty - true to form - but it's still that heavyass LX platform and it has not lost a single pound off it's curbside.

Betcha the new GT is cheaper than the R/T by a good 5-8k, too.

I'd still wait on the new mustang for a few model years. Let the aftermarket catch up, give ford time iron out the bugs, let them announce the next Mach1, GT350/500, Cobra, Bullitt, BOSS, or whathaveyou. I doubt you'd regret waiting a few years.

On the other hand; if you straight gotta have a 5.0, I can vouch for the '13 and '14s....they're damn fun, and damn quick.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 05:34 AM   #128
Registered Member
Regular

The new Mustang doesn't really have too much of a price advantage anymore. But GT should have ~444 HP. No word on weight from who I chatted with. Allegedly, no high performance model for 2015, and "at this time" don't expect 2016. 2017 will be the year. But he could have been feeding me misinformation to counter all the rumors.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 08:34 AM   #129
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey ArtU

Starkey and Hutch !
Good TV show but they said on one of the new reality interview shows one night that they had to repair and repaint the hood on that Torino after every filming due to Idiot sliding across it. Ha ! Ha !
I like them old shows and happy to have ME TV to watch them.
About the only really true car scenes in a Movie was the very first of:::
GONE IN 60 SECONDS The car scenes were in real time and awsum although the story line was a little corney.I'm not talking the second one but the very first one. Made in 1972 and just a good fun movie. Still available on Amazon.com
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #130
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
The original Gone in 60 was absolutely awesome.

Funniest thing about that movie is they didn't have permits and a bunch of other things for some scenes and yet they shot it anyways. Apparently the public was completely unaware of what was going on and were calling the police and news crews to inform them of car chases and accidents all over town.

Wish they still made movies like that.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:24 AM   #131
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
continuing the off topic. The car scenes fron "Ronin" some of th best true driving filmed
Old 05-29-2014, 10:52 AM   #132
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Ronin was good-----BUT------

If you ever seen the original "GONE IN 60 SECONDS all other chase movies are not the same. The guy did all his own driving and used the same Mustang for all the crashes. It is just plain fun to watch the extra features about how they did this without permits or safety people telling them what to do. There is also a great interview with Lee Iococa that eliminates the crap about the Mustang being named after an airplane. He stated it was named after the western wild horse and not an airplane or baseball team. Lee's words right from him.
They remastered this movie and you can get it at Amazon.com.
Ronnie
Old 05-29-2014, 11:14 AM   #133
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you ever seen the original "GONE IN 60 SECONDS all other chase movies are not the same. The guy did all his own driving and used the same Mustang for all the crashes. It is just plain fun to watch the extra features about how they did this without permits or safety people telling them what to do. There is also a great interview with Lee Iococa that eliminates the crap about the Mustang being named after an airplane. He stated it was named after the western wild horse and not an airplane or baseball team. Lee's words right from him.

Ronnie

I would think if it were named after the plane, the car would have been driving along with a low flying plane. Instead, the early commercials had horses in it. Not sure how people couldn't figure that out.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 01:57 PM   #134
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Well, Information I once read was"

Ford at one time did have a prototype car called "MUSTANG" and it was named after the P38 airplane from WW2. It was not a production car but some sort of concept car. It did have an airplane on the front of it.
It was not connected to the 1964 Mustang at all. Even Chevy had a prototype car called the Mustang project at that time but never came out with anything to use the name. Ford beat them to it.
You can see the old film with the airplane concept ugly flat looking Mustang in it every once in a while. I'll see if I can find a photo of it.
Ronnie
Old 05-29-2014, 02:31 PM   #135
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I found one

This is one of two made in 1962, One is in the Henry Ford Museum. They were rear engine V4 engines. The first original Mustangs. I had a book at one time showing the car when first introduced and instead of the FORD across the front it had a Airplane emblem of a P38 on the front. Someone at Ford freaked out and had it removed. They then just used the side emblems and used the western wild horse. I lent my book to someone years ago and never got it back.
Quote:
Ronnie
Old 05-29-2014, 02:34 PM   #136
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
This is one of two made in 1962, One is in the Henry Ford Museum. They were rear engine V4 engines. The first original Mustangs. I had a book at one time showing the car when first introduced and instead of the FORD across the front it had a Airplane emblem of a P38 on the front. Someone at Ford freaked out and had it removed. They then just used the side emblems and used the western wild horse. I lent my book to someone years ago and never got it back.

Ronnie

Funny how similar the car is to the 63-67 Corvettes.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 02:39 PM   #137
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Things could have been different

GM and Chevy at that time had a project named
MUSTANG" and if Ford did not trademark the name the Corvette may have been named "MUSTANG" Then we would all be driving Corvettes Ha ! Ha !.
Ronnie
Old 05-30-2014, 04:16 PM   #138
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:

Do those guys on Challengertalk know you are over here thinking about getting a Mustang? LOL. They are a brutal bunch when it comes to talking about anything other than Challengers and most of them think that the Mustang is crap.

They jumped on me pretty good when I said some positive things about Mustangs and said what things I didn't like about the challenger. It was even worse when they found out I owned a Mustang and not a Challenger. I even posted the things that I didn't like about the Mustang but that didn't help. I'm pretty careful about what I post over there and mostly just browse anymore.

A lot of those guys on Challengertalk claim to smoke the 5.0 Mustang GT's all of the time with the SRT-8. I don't know, they might. It has 470 hp and 470 of torque compared to the 420 hp and 390 torque of the Mustang GT. It has the horsepower and torque advantage even though it is heavier.

Wayne
Old 05-30-2014, 04:20 PM   #139
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:

Ronnie

Bullitt anyone?

HID end all thread
Old 05-30-2014, 04:21 PM   #140
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
Do those guys on Challengertalk know you are over here thinking about getting a Mustang? LOL. They are a brutal bunch when it comes to talking about anything other than Challengers and most of them think that the Mustang is crap.

They jumped on me pretty good when I said some positive things about Mustangs and said what things I didn't like about the challenger. It was even worse when they found out I owned a Mustang and not a Challenger. I even posted the things that I didn't like about the Mustang but that didn't help. I'm pretty careful about what I post over there and mostly just browse anymore.

A lot of those guys on Challengertalk claim to smoke the 5.0 Mustang GT's all of the time with the SRT-8. I don't know, they might. It has 470 hp and 470 of torque compared to the 420 hp and 390 torque of the Mustang GT. It has the horsepower and torque advantage even though it is heavier.

Wayne

Time to make an account over there lol

HID end all thread

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT