Challenger owner here... Convince me to buy a Mustang! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-21-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Challenger owner here... Convince me to buy a Mustang!

Hey guys I currently own a 2010 Challenger RT with 21000 miles. I only bought the car a year ago, so if I trade it in based off of the blue book value I would pretty much break even. I'm debating on purchasing a 2014 GT. Has anyone made this jump? The appeal to me would be the 5.0 motor. I love my challenger for the looks and the true muscle car feel. There is something about the look of the mustang that I really enjoy too. Anyway, I know you guys are basically gonna say things I already know lol but nonetheless, let me hear your thoughts!
pietran30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I traded in my 2012 camaro SS for the 2014 GT I wanted to buy the GT back in 2012 but they weren't released yet so I opted for the Camaro SS. I love the 5.0 it's way faster than my Camaro.
Eleazer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
our cars weigh less than 4000lbs. even with a passenger or two.

the 5.0 motor is a legend and everyone makes aftermarket parts for it.

there's a huge aftermarket for body parts so you can really make your car your own.

because mustang

and because mustangs sound the best
TorchRed6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2014, 08:59 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Not so fast
That depends on how fast your wallet is ~~~~~~

The NEW Hellcat 600HP 2015 Challenger will roast any GT Mustang
and has been completely redesigned. with a real interior

Iam drooling over it myself
But wont cough up the 60k their gonna be asking $$$$
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I just switched over from a 2008 SRT8 challenger a month ago. I loved the suspension on the challenger, far more superior. I miss the suede interior and the heated seats. The mustang seems faster and better on gas! Way more accessories or after market parts for the 5.0. To me the SRT is little more luxurious... I honestly just missed the sound of the mustang!
dustr24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Challengers are nice. But slow real slow

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
To my eye, the Challenger is certainly the best looking 'pony car' of the current generation. The problem is simply weight - they are built on the same platform as the 4door Charger (the Charger is the LC frame, where the Challenger is a slightly shortened frame denoted "LX"). Heavy, heavy, heavy. That weight is a major obstacle for the suspensions and engines that they come equipped with. I feel like 500hp in a mustang goes so much farther than 600hp in a challenger will.

Dodge has never had an issue with putting underpowered V8s in their muscle cars. Props to them, but the whole LC/LX line needs to go on an atkins diet for them to really be performance cars.

I chose the 5.0 because it was lighter, it has a better HP to displacement ratio, and it is very easy to get specific options direct from the dealer. You want a trackpack car? Ditto. You want a base with brembos, .373, Shaker, and tech? No problem.

The downsides on the mustang are (arguably) the solid rear suspension and the shakiness of the manual transmission. My argument is that I'd rather have the best iteration of the solid rear axle ever put into a production car over the halfbaked independent rear you'll find in the others. My MT82 has not given me any grief, either.

Good luck with your decision. If you go mustang, welcome to the community!
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 09:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
To my eye, the Challenger is certainly the best looking 'pony car' of the current generation. The problem is simply weight - they are built on the same platform as the 4door Charger (the Charger is the LC frame, where the Challenger is a slightly shortened frame denoted "LX"). Heavy, heavy, heavy. That weight is a major obstacle for the suspensions and engines that they come equipped with. I feel like 500hp in a mustang goes so much farther than 600hp in a challenger will.

Dodge has never had an issue with putting underpowered V8s in their muscle cars. Props to them, but the whole LC/LX line needs to go on an atkins diet for them to really be performance cars.

I chose the 5.0 because it was lighter, it has a better HP to displacement ratio, and it is very easy to get specific options direct from the dealer. You want a trackpack car? Ditto. You want a base with brembos, .373, Shaker, and tech? No problem.

The downsides on the mustang are (arguably) the solid rear suspension and the shakiness of the manual transmission. My argument is that I'd rather have the best iteration of the solid rear axle ever put into a production car over the halfbaked independent rear you'll find in the others. My MT82 has not given me any grief, either.

Good luck with your decision. If you go mustang, welcome to the community!

Awesome post man, really appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
both have flaws. To me the RT drives like a two door caddy. It has a fat *** and does not even remotely feel like a sports car(very disconnected from the road). If I'm going cross country I would opt for the RT.

For a daily driver and track car the mustang GT wins all day long over the RT.... Not even close. amazing engine. the suspension and MT82 have issues that can be annoying but with a few mods IMO its perfect.
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Last year I bought myself a '13 GT 6 speed and I bought the wife a '13 Charger Road and Track with Track pack. The Charger is bad *** and for the most part it takes a steamy dump all over the Mustang in many ways. You're right about the interior. It's far superior to the Mustang. Stereo, tech stuff, seats, it's all a better ride. The wheels are nicer, better tires, exhaust, rear diffuser, it's all nicer. The problem is, they're not power house pony cars. Charger/Challenger is a powerful RWD luxury car "disguised" as a muscle car.

Here's the best advise I can give you. If you are just fine with Exhaust, Cold air kit and a basic tune than the Challenger is a much better car. It looks better, drives better and is more comfortable and also more unique. If you have the urge to do things like, X-pipe, headers, aggressive tuning, Intakes, Nitrous, Blowers and overall have the desire to mod a car into the 12's, 11's or 10's than do your self a financial favor and get a Coyote powered Mustang.
Justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 10:26 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
IMO, the Challenger is a better car to drive, the Mustang is the better race/fun car.

Also, stock the R/T's aren't all that impressive. Doing basic mods really wakes them up. If you need more, nitrous and a cam.

The Hemi's are very LSx like in that regard. Basic bolts ons and a cam can get you over 400 rwhp.
Old 05-22-2014, 07:14 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

I own both. A 2012 R/T with a few mods, and a 2014 GT with lots of mods. The murdered out Challenger wins from a menacing look stand point. Black with staggered black Viper wheels and black leather. CAI and exhaust add a little HP, but are more for the cool factor. Car is awesome to drive. Push button start, heated leather, touch screen NAV, rides great even on 20s. The Mustang looks good too, Sterling grey with staggered black 20 inch TSWs. It's low and loud, rides like a log wagon. Not cats, so the exhaust stinks a little. But it would absolutely embarrass the R/T in a race. Drag or auto/x.

Like others have said. The Chally will ride more like a Caddie. That's why we will be taking it on an 8 hour trip to the beach in a few weeks vs. the Mustang. Both cars are great. I guess it really depends on what looks good to you and go from there. Don't just base your decision on which is heavier, or faster. If that is a concern, you need to consider exotic sports cars like Porsche and Lambo.
Blackpearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleazer2 View Post
I traded in my 2012 camaro SS for the 2014 GT I wanted to buy the GT back in 2012 but they weren't released yet so I opted for the Camaro SS. I love the 5.0 it's way faster than my Camaro.

A 5.0 is not "way faster" than a 2012 SS. It is about the same. Fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietran30 View Post
Hey guys I currently own a 2010 Challenger RT with 21000 miles. I only bought the car a year ago, so if I trade it in based off of the blue book value I would pretty much break even. I'm debating on purchasing a 2014 GT. Has anyone made this jump? The appeal to me would be the 5.0 motor. I love my challenger for the looks and the true muscle car feel. There is something about the look of the mustang that I really enjoy too. Anyway, I know you guys are basically gonna say things I already know lol but nonetheless, let me hear your thoughts!
I would go 5.0 over R/T any day. The R/T is a peg leg depending on options as well.

5.0 is significantly faster than an R/T anything.

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 07:34 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

You can make anything do what you want it to do. All depends on how much time and money you want to throw at it. And whether drivability is important. I have a friend with an 11' R/T that runs a 9 second 1/4 mile. But it doesn't have an interior, and he has spent around $35k on the motor and drivetrain. Fast yes, but not a cheap toy, or family friendly.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I had a 2010 Challenger and stepped down in years only to my 2008 GT/CS vert. Best decision I every made going back to a Mustang. As others have said the aftermarket support is much better for the Mustang and cheaper. The things I was looking at doing with the Challenger was costing me double over the Mustang. With a 2014 GT you will have a nice platform to play with.

Either way you will have a nice car Challenger or Mustang, so just go for it.
2008 GT/CS - {SLP Loudmouth Axle Back Exhaust- SR Strut Tower Brace - Raxiom Sequential Tail Light Kit - C&L Street CAI - Bama Tune - FRPP Lowering Springs - FRPP Rear Sway Bar - FRPP Struts & Shocks - BMR TCA032 LCAs}
jellyroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I recently traded my 12 GT six speed for a 09 R/T and have no regrets. Granted it has Long tubes, High flow cats, Magnaflow catback, BBK 85mm TB, Mopar intake and a dyno tune. With those things done to it, its not too far off from my old GT. The GT was my DD and so is the challenger, IMO the challenger is a more comfortable car for a DD and the looks won me over. I know the R/T is a heavy car but I love it for that, my grandpa has a 70 GTO 455 and driving the R/T feels like a modern version of that type of car. Heavy with good amount of power.
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I wish I could afford both and not have to worry about it lol

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 05-22-2014, 08:53 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Here is my R/T
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1749.jpg
Views:	333
Size:	661.3 KB
ID:	157538   Click image for larger version

Name:	Edit 1.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	921.5 KB
ID:	157539  

Name:	20140330_100043.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	157540   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140330_100151.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	1.78 MB
ID:	157541  

Name:	IMG_0194.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	157543  
Attached Files
MustangGT02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:04 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That Challenger is awesome. I have thoughts of trading into a late model SRT-8 some days. I just wish to god they would change or update the body style already. I know I would buy, and than it would change.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:13 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Here's my Charger. I know it's not the Challenger but this car has so much room in it for the kids and luggage. It's really the closest thing to driving an old 70's Muscle car.

Old 05-22-2014, 11:13 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
A lot of people have mention interior and nav...you can get all those on the mustang. Heated seats and touch screen nav are options on the mustang.

I love the sound of the mustang. It is superior to all other muscle cars.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via AIM to Borii
The ride is still better in the Dodge cars and sound is opinion

Sold - 1998 Camaro SS
Sold - 2001 Audi S4
Borii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

I have heated leather in both the R/T and GT. Dodge does cool stuff like with the Challenger, all I have to do is stick my fingers under the door handle and it unlocks. You don't even have to touch it. It senses your hand, as long as you have the fob in your pocket of course. Push button start is just cool to me. When I drive the R/T I literally never touch my keys. When will Ford finally do away with the insert metal stick into steering column crap? And I know there are aftermarket push starters. It's not the same. Ford finally got some IRS for the Pony cars in the 2015 model. That will help in a lot of ways with the ride and handling. And as mentioned, exhaust sound is personally opinion at its finest. They are both fine automobiles.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:10 PM   #24
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Pie, the following is a link to my review comparing my V6 base model performance pack to a rental Chally:

Challenger review/drive - Ford Mustang Forums

Short version cruising win to the Chally driving win to the Stang. I'm glad I had it for a week but am more glad I got a Stang. Yeah they are both only V6's but the comparo is still valid.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
Challenger owner here... Convince me to buy a Mustang!

I have a lightly modded 01 Bullitt (4.6 2v) which is always dogged on as one of the slowest and most turd of a Mustang...... I've walked all over Challenger R/Ts in a straight line and even in corners.

They definitely look good. I love the look. They have good power and good suspension, but they just can't use it well.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
I have a lightly modded 01 Bullitt (4.6 2v) which is always dogged on as one of the slowest and most turd of a Mustang...... I've walked all over Challenger R/Ts in a straight line and even in corners.

They definitely look good. I love the look. They have good power and good suspension, but they just can't use it well.
This, I was beating RT's when I was stock just being a descent driver. I love the look as well and even tried to talk my girl into getting one in v6 form as a DD ( she chose the civic though ). I think they're one of the meanest/best looking stock cars period. I rented one awhile back while we were in florida and it was also a fantastic ride. I'd be tempted to rent another one when we we go on vacation to myrtle beach this summer if it wasn't mustang week haha. But I would rather have a mustang, even my old slow 3V haha.
610swolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:07 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Any ideas when he 2015 specs will be out for the GT? If they bump the coyote even more than I might be swayed to wait until the 2015s come out. The look of them is growing on me more and more each day haha.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:59 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Yea wish mustangs had the push start and door entry option. I had those on my previous 2 cars and it sucks having to take my keys out again. Also, wish they had the 1 touch turn signal stock on these but can always get aftermarket for that.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:20 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhillgt View Post
Yea wish mustangs had the push start and door entry option. I had those on my previous 2 cars and it sucks having to take my keys out again. Also, wish they had the 1 touch turn signal stock on these but can always get aftermarket for that.
The 15's have push button start.

Sent from my HTC One using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:54 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

You're right about the Key thing. When I drive my Charger the keys never leave my pocket. It opens automatically and starts with a push button. The Beats audio system sounds way better than the Ford one. Also, I paired my phone to the Charger last year and everything is synced 100%. All my music is catalogged and the Bluetooth operates effortlessly. The Blue tooth and sync in the Mustang is the biggest PIA in the world. I don't even use it.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:24 PM   #31

Region: North Carolina
I had a 2011 Camaro SS before I had my 2014 GT. I bought the Camaro 6 months before I get the stang. I like the Camaro but I didn't love it. Of course it was fast but it felt big and heavy. I went and drove the stang one day and knew I was going to get rid of the Camaro. The mustang feels so much lighter and more predictable. For a daily driver stand point the mustang is much more comfortable.

The challengers are really sharp. But they are cruisers. Not sports cars. For me, I wanted something fun to drive that I could play with. I plan on taking the mustang drifting and autocrossing. I would never do that in the Challenger and I don't think the camaro would have been any good at either.
cccampbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

It is all up to you

Both cars are really great. It is really up to you which one you would rather own.
I personally like the Mustang. To me it is just a more fun car to drive and own. I belong to two clubs. One is a Mustang club and my other club is a Muscle car club. I do like the Challangers as well as the Chargers but I do "LOVE" the Mustangs.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 12:41 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
IMO the Challenger is bulky , not as tossable like a Mustang FWIW
Old 05-23-2014, 04:04 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I own one of each. Completely different cars.

Mustang is raw / fast / thrilling / looks great with mods.

Challenger is a serious cruiser. Great suspension, great exhaust notes, great look.

Cant go wrong with either imo. I'm lucky enough not to have to choose

Here is a pic of my SRT8

2014GTCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:18 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GTCS View Post
I own one of each. Completely different cars.

Mustang is raw / fast / thrilling / looks great with mods.

Challenger is a serious cruiser. Great suspension, great exhaust notes, great look.

Cant go wrong with either imo. I'm lucky enough not to have to choose

Here is a pic of my SRT8

Pardon my drool. Great looking car.
PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT