Tuning questions... Advice needed... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2014, 04:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tuning questions... Advice needed...

I am looking at possibly doing this to my 2014 GT... pretty new at this, so please bear with me... I have done some research on units, and I am leaning on the STEEDA SCT option, or maybe VMP... I have heard AED is good as well... I know there is a FORD RACING unit out there as well... regardless with what I get, I am really not wanting to void my warranty... are all these pretty safe, and I assume I can do myself??? any help/comments/advice, would be greatly appreciated!!!
rynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 04:47 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
All the companies you mention have safe tunes and yes you can do it yourself. AED or Lund if you have a manual, VMP, Mike Rousch, or Rev Auto if you have an auto would be your top choices.

But a tune for the most part will void your powertrain warranty.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

appreciate the info... might have to wait if it in fact voids my warranty!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 05:14 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I've had VMP and honestly, at least in my case, it was a waste of $100. Now I have Lund and am loving it. Tune is top notch and the customer service (from Jon Lund himself) is miles beyond Bama, and my brief dealings with VMP and AED. Shaun from AED is a great tuner, but is known by some to be moody. I just happened to catch him once on a bad day and the next he was great.

The warranty issue has been beat to death and it seems that it really just comes down to your dealership. I've had salesmen and parts counter guys from my dealership tell me ways around it if the service department gives me any grief. My dealer also sponsors their own '11 GT drag car, so I assume they're fairly lenient. But STEEDA is essentially a COPO car so I would imagine their tunes wouldn't have any warranty issues. Also I would imagine you wouldn't have any warranty issues with a Ford Racing tune.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:14 AM   #5
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Your best bet is to get with your dealership and see what mods they're cool with being done.

Sent from the future.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

A tune "could" void some things on your warranty, but I know plenty of people who were tuned and still got some major warranty work done with no problems.
I will second Lund. I had great luck with MPT for our NA tunes, but with the supercharger purchase, Lund Tunes were included. After our experience tuning with Jon Lund II, I will never use another tuner. He is AWESOME. The remote tuning Lund has setup is a great way to tune and he takes the time to get everything exactly right. He made 5 revisions on our tune when we felt the first tune was performing great. The car runs unbelievably perfect and our data log numbers great. Lund will have my business from this point forward.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 06:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
A tune "could" void some things on your warranty, but I know plenty of people who were tuned and still got some major warranty work done with no problems.
I will second Lund. I had great luck with MPT for our NA tunes, but with the supercharger purchase, Lund Tunes were included. After our experience tuning with Jon Lund II, I will never use another tuner. He is AWESOME. The remote tuning Lund has setup is a great way to tune and he takes the time to get everything exactly right. He made 5 revisions on our tune when we felt the first tune was performing great. The car runs unbelievably perfect and our data log numbers great. Lund will have my business from this point forward.
John Lund sounds like a winner... I will defintely look into him... for $200 a tune, I am sure he is the best...
Old 05-23-2014, 07:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Standard tunes are $200 from Lund, at least through Team Beefcake. Deerslayer and I were both remote tuned, but just like his, the base tunes I received were leagues above all of my previous tunes through other vendors. We ended up doing 4 revisions of my tune for E85 with the option of a fifth (he said the 4th was the final but I could log it if I wanted to be sure it was perfect) but I haven't been able to find time to data log.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSconvert View Post
Standard tunes are $200 from Lund, at least through Team Beefcake. Deerslayer and I were both remote tuned, but just like his, the base tunes I received were leagues above all of my previous tunes through other vendors. We ended up doing 4 revisions of my tune for E85 with the option of a fifth (he said the 4th was the final but I could log it if I wanted to be sure it was perfect) but I haven't been able to find time to data log.
sounds good... I assume I just download the tune he sends to the unit I end up buying?
Old 05-23-2014, 07:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rynaldo View Post
sounds good... I assume I just download the tune he sends to the unit I end up buying?
Yessir. You'll have to go to the SCT site and download their software in order to do it, but I'm sure that will all be spelled out in the instructions that come with the handheld.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:19 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I noticed their new wireless version has some really cool features, and I see it even has a reset to factory flash settings if you need to take the car in for service... pretty neat if you ask me...
Old 05-23-2014, 08:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've had VMP and honestly, at least in my case, it was a waste of $100. Now I have Lund and am loving it. Tune is top notch and the customer service (from Jon Lund himself) is miles beyond Bama, and my brief dealings with VMP and AED. Shaun from AED is a great tuner, but is known by some to be moody. I just happened to catch him once on a bad day and the next he was great.
I'd like to comment on this a bit. I am tuned by Shaun, and he was very responsive and helpful to the issues i was having, so i believe its how you approach your emails to him. I believe in one email he took something i said personally, maybe as like an attack or doubting his tune, and he was slightly... moody i guess is the best word. From then on i made sure to clarify myself much better and it did seem to go smoother. So yes, great tune, but maybe word what you're trying to say very carefully lol, a lot can get lost in an email.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I believe in one email he took something i said personally, maybe as like an attack or doubting his tune, and he was slightly... moody i guess is the best word. From then on i made sure to clarify myself much better and it did seem to go smoother. So yes, great tune, but maybe word what you're trying to say very carefully lol, a lot can get lost in an email.
LOL...screw that, reminds me of dealing with my wife! Don't want or need drama with my tuner
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 05-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Ehh, having done a bit of tuning myself with my previous platform i can meet him in the middle on this one. People are always quick to blame the tuner, and word spreads like wildfires through the internet nowadays, so i can understand some things being percieved as a personal attack.

Look up any blown motor thread, whats the first question always asked? Who tuned it. Not, how often do you change your oil, spark plugs, how hard do you drive it, how well do you maintain it, do you fill up with good gas... Not the point of this thread, so i'll end my rant, but i feel a lot of responsibility lies with the end user as well, but tuners catch the crap for it. /rant.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

^^ completely agree.
I have heard good things about Shaun's tuning at AED.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Him and Lund are true wizards when it comes to SCT tuning. It's just difficult to me to look at something like that objectively, since I work in retail/customer service. You have to be really careful dealing with the public. In our dealings I told him I had just purchased new injectors and found out he only tunes one specific kind. I sent him a picture to try and verify if they were the correct ones and he basically told me it wasn't his job to do so, and he would not only not offer me a refund, but would charge me again for the tune once the correct injectors were purchased. That's fine and all, but not something to say to a potential customer. I emailed him again after I found out they were the correct injectors and he apologized and told me he had just had a customer ask for a similar tune requiring these injectors and he found out they had the wrong kind after he began tuning.

But I digress. You can't go wrong with either of those two.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

SCT iTSX Wireless Tuner... anyone actually tried it??? it has a factory reset option whenever it goes back to the dealer...
Old 05-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
SCT iTSX Wireless Tuner... anyone actually tried it??? it has a factory reset option whenever it goes back to the dealer...
Can't comment on those. They seem cool, but I suck at technology lol. But I think most SCT tuners have the ability to return to stock. My SF3/X3 does as well.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:51 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can't comment on those. They seem cool, but I suck at technology lol. But I think most SCT tuners have the ability to return to stock. My SF3/X3 does as well.
so in all fairness if I can always revert the tune to factory, won't that work??? that way everyones happy...
Old 05-23-2014, 02:30 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

well, not exactly. The computer counts key cycles, and a ref lash resets that. Even if the factory tune is on there, if you have 20,000 miles and only 2 key cycles, they'll know you obviously re-flashed the map right before you brought it in IF they bother to check that. It just depends on what you're going in for, i'm fully bolted and tuned and just got my 5th gear synchro replaced under warranty. Granted, the 5th gear is a very common problem so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:43 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Just ordered the SCT X4 from steeda today. Anxious to get it, they said I should have it by Wednesday
epit2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
John Lund sounds like a winner... I will defintely look into him... for $200 a tune, I am sure he is the best...
Plus the cost of the device.
Quote:
so in all fairness if I can always revert the tune to factory, won't that work??? that way everyones happy...
But there's still a flash counter you can't hide.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Do they check that every time? Or just on warranty repairs??? What about recalls?
Old 05-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
plus 1 for the SCT X4. The size is great and wireless is handy too.
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20bmr14 View Post
plus 1 for the SCT X4. The size is great and wireless is handy too.
I will look into that model as well...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT