Borla ATAK catback system - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-23-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Borla ATAK catback system

I'm interested in this system. What are your suggestions and comments on sound quality. From what I've heard on some internet quality videos they sound pretty decent. Price isn't too much of a concern. I've had the pleasure of driving a 2012 mustang with a borla cats. And it sounded great. Very loud. I don't know which system it was though.
Saleen90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saleen90 View Post
I'm interested in this system. What are your suggestions and comments on sound quality. From what I've heard on some internet quality videos they sound pretty decent. Price isn't too much of a concern. I've had the pleasure of driving a 2012 mustang with a borla cats. And it sounded great. Very loud. I don't know which system it was though.
What exactly is your question? lol. There's really no way someone can "explain" the sound of the exhaust but if you look it up on youtube... that will give you a good idea what it would sound like in person. Besides that... see if someone near you has them and go check out their ride.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well as I said I drove one with a borla system and I liked it. but I know there are multiple levels of aggression as far as sound goes. I wish I knew what one I actually drove. So a better question is who has experienced the ATAK first hand and did they like it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2014, 07:20 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Well as I said I drove one with a borla system and I liked it. but I know there are multiple levels of aggression as far as sound goes. I wish I knew what one I actually drove. So a better question is who has experienced the ATAK first hand and did they like it?
Oh okay, well... i think anyone would like the ATAK lol. I think it's the loudest of the Borla brand. I personally went with the Borla S-type. Love the sound. I tend to drive through a lot of neighborhoods and it's quiet but if you let loose you'll wake people up lol.

But if you want something loud, go with the ATAK because you'll eventually want more sound if you get the S-type i'm experiencing this now haha. Been thinking about getting the Atak lately.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Well I think you answered the question I was trying to find to ask haha. Thank you. That's a good way to put it.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Look at the roush axle backs. I think they sound even better
Bama Performance Tune
Raxiom LED licence plate bulbs
Black GT500 style spoiler
Will2329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:20 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Ok I'll give those a look. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I have the ATAK axle backs on the 2013 GT. I had s-types on my V6. Borlas don't drone hard on the freeway or even the street like other loud systems. Borlas deliver the loud when you need it and are quiet when you need them quiet. That is why they cost the most. You get what you pay for.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:37 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I have the ATAK axle backs on the 2013 GT. I had s-types on my V6. Borlas don't drone hard on the freeway or even the street like other loud systems. Borlas deliver the loud when you need it and are quiet when you need them quiet. That is why they cost the most. You get what you pay for.

Art

I'm actually in the same boat I am considering the attack or the s type.. I can't figure out which I want.. Right now I have a pypes pype bomb and they are super load but they have horrible drone especially on free way.. I love loud I just don't like drone..
Jaylg86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaylg86 View Post
I'm actually in the same boat I am considering the attack or the s type.. I can't figure out which I want.. Right now I have a pypes pype bomb and they are super load but they have horrible drone especially on free way.. I love loud I just don't like drone..
Here was the way I looked at that. When I had the V6, the S-types gave it more a believable sound, folks many times didn't know it was a V6. I had a GT guy ask me what muffs I had cause my car sounded better than his stock GT. But the louder ATAKs would have had a wince of GT type racing V6 sound, as its a V6 after all !

When I got the GT, well I wanted the best GT sound I could get, but not have the hiway drone. I knew if I got the s-type I would be wanting more sound down the road and didn't want to pay twice, so got the ATAKs from AM and very happy with them.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:53 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Here was the way I looked at that. When I had the V6, the S-types gave it more a believable sound, folks many times didn't know it was a V6. I had a GT guy ask me what muffs I had cause my car sounded better than his stock GT. But the louder ATAKs would have had a wince of GT type racing V6 sound, as its a V6 after all !

When I got the GT, well I wanted the best GT sound I could get, but not have the hiway drone. I knew if I got the s-type I would be wanting more sound down the road and didn't want to pay twice, so got the ATAKs from AM and very happy with them.

How is the drone on the attacks going like 35 and 70? Lol that my biggest concern cause man my pype bombs are loud lol I want something aggressive but not whinny..
Old 05-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How is the drone on the attacks going like 35 and 70? Lol that my biggest concern cause man my pype bombs are loud lol I want something aggressive but not whinny..
If you are in "cruze" there is no objectionable no drone at any speed. If you what the GT sound, you lower your engines vacuum with your foot pressing on the peddle. Or higher RPMs on gear you are in.

On the other hand, just like the S-types, there is that low rumble at any cruising speed (Hi vacuum, high MPG) that lets you know a monster is under the hood. This is not like what the drone you are getting that you want to put firearm plugs/muffs on your ears, and makes your girl/wife etc want to not ride the car

I would say at 70mph "cruise" the engine hum on my GT attacks are the same low noise level as it was on my V6 with the S-type. If you got your foot into it WOT in 3rd gear at 70 or 1st at 35; its loud coyote roar will send shivers down the spine of unsuspecting folks.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well that gave me chills reading that. Is there a big difference in sound between cats and AB? Again YouTube doesn't do these systems justice. So it's hard to tell.
Old 05-28-2014, 10:26 AM   #14
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Both the Borla ATAKs and S-type sound great at WOT. Both of them can really scream and flow freely. As someone has already said, some feel the S-types are a little too quite with a stock exhaust. Which I think is pretty accurate, but I'd consider what your plans are long term before ruling out the S-type exhaust.

If your long term goals are to upgrade the mid-pipe to a catless H or X and maybe even LT headers with that combo, I'd definitely stick with the S-type. Once you go catless, I feel the Borla ATAK's are too loud while cruising. Where the S-type holds a better tone and volume.

It sounds like you've pretty much figured out what you want, which is great. Just keep in mind what you have planned down the road. Plus, don't forget you can give me a shout anytime you need assistance or have questions!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 12:18 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well that gave me chills reading that. Is there a big difference in sound between cats and AB? Again YouTube doesn't do these systems justice. So it's hard to tell.
I am not a full subject matter expert, but my understanding is it takes removal of cats, add headers, or change in H-x pipe to make more noise than just Axel backs. The bigger pipes you have from the cat backs let it flow more but I cant see it adding too much more in db sound levels.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I don't plan on replacing my stock H pipe I heard the H gives the exhaust more of a growl while the X has more rasp.. I plan on getting short headers and only buying the attack axel back.. What do you guys think? Bbk intake, bbk ceramic shorties, stock H pipe, attack axel back.. I don't mind loud my pype bombs are loud.. But it's not controlled it sounds like it's all over the place.. You think this new set up witll compliment each other mod?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't plan on replacing my stock H pipe I heard the H gives the exhaust more of a growl while the X has more rasp.. I plan on getting short headers and only buying the attack axel back.. What do you guys think? Bbk intake, bbk ceramic shorties, stock H pipe, attack axel back.. I don't mind loud my pype bombs are loud.. But it's not controlled it sounds like it's all over the place.. You think this new set up witll compliment each other mod?
I think so, shorty headers will give you lower sound like the H pipe, CATS are staying on so its legal. I think it will sound great but with a lower hum on cruze that sounds Gnarly instead of the random crap your getting now. And on hard throttle in 1st at 35mph, folks that don't know whats comin' when they hear you will be frozen in place. [I don't recommend doing that, you'll feel real bad when you replay their faces in your memory]

I'll let Shane provide more comments.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

This is all great info from everyone. There's a lot of info to learn and know I'll definitely keep questions coming
Old 05-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Man.. So I'm purchasing tomorrow.. Lol I pulled a 2k loan from my 401k.. Gonna get the attks and the bbk shorties + bbk throttle body.. Any idea how much shorties should cost to install? Lol I almost pulled out 6k from the 401k for the turbo.. But just thinking how much I was gonna spend in long run decided to wait n go small lol.. Cause the turbo would require me to upgrade so many other things + the dyno for custom tune.. Sounds expensive lol
Old 05-28-2014, 07:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Man.. So I'm purchasing tomorrow.. Lol I pulled a 2k loan from my 401k.. Gonna get the attks and the bbk shorties + bbk throttle body.. Any idea how much shorties should cost to install? Lol I almost pulled out 6k from the 401k for the turbo.. But just thinking how much I was gonna spend in long run decided to wait n go small lol.. Cause the turbo would require me to upgrade so many other things + the dyno for custom tune.. Sounds expensive lol
Good move,the turbo would change your entire exhaust setup and ruin your sound. If you want FI and keep real American V8 sound, you need to go twin screw, not turbo whoossssshh.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:11 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

How much horsepower you think that would give me? On avg.. With bbk intake shorties throttle body + tuner?stock is 305hp w/ performance package
I would only count the axel back because of the weight difference between stock and borla.. If there is even a gain it's prob small tho lol
Old 05-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How much horsepower you think that would give me? On avg.. With bbk intake shorties throttle body + tuner?stock is 305hp w/ performance package
I would only count the axel back because of the weight difference between stock and borla.. If there is even a gain it's prob small tho lol
OK now you tell me you have 3.7 V6, not 5.0 in a GT forum post, ok I give you grace, I owned a 3.7 2013 first. You are not going to get a "peak" HPR increase on shortys, nor do you want one. Forget the throttle bodies, you need intake mod work long before they do anything.

The shorties will raise your low end torque and HPR on the 3.7 where it needs it lower in the power band, not increase the peak HPR. Look at the how the published curves raise the lower end of your engine up, right where it needs it to be.

The tuner will really wake up your 3.7; Steeda is the safest on warentty issues while making showroom cars faster. MPT or Lund the most over the edge max performance. Bama is in the middle serving out tunes to the middle majority as fast as they can like burger king. (yes my V6 had a Bama tune first before I tired the others)

You get no gain on the cat back or axle back, but better sound. if a V6 go S-type, the Atak might sound too F1 GT v6 like; just was my opinion when I had the V6.

With the V6 , you will never be able to use a twin screw, the main reason I traded for a 5.0 Coyote when I did. You will need to use a 2011-2012 pro charger that wont work correctly on a 2013 without mods to mount intercooler and a custom dyno tune; or a helion single turbo that folks gave bad reviews hanging way down near the bottom of the road on your drivers side. A new kid turbo is on the block, but give any new kid a few years before you give your $25-$30K game box to a modder to put a mod on.

Art
Old 05-28-2014, 08:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
OK now you tell me you have 3.7 V6, not 5.0 in a GT forum post, ok I give you grace, I owned a 3.7 2013 first. You are not going to get a "peak" HPR increase on shortys, nor to you want one. Forget the throttle bodies, you need head work long before they do anyting.

The shorties will raise your low end torque and HPR on the 3.7 where it needs it ower in the power band, not increase the peak HPR. Look at the how the published curves raise the lower end of your engine up, right where it needs it.

The tuner will really wake up your 3.7; Steeda is the safest on warentty issues while making showroom cars faster. MPT or Lund the most over the edge max performance. Bama is in the middle serving out tunes to the middle majority as fast as they can like burger king. (yes my V6 had a Bama tune first before I tired the others)

You get no gain on the cat or axel back, but better sound. if a V6 go S-type, the Atak might sound too F1 GT v6 like; just was my opinion when I had the V6.

Art

How weird? I am pretty sure I posted this on V6 forum! Sorry bud.. Out of making a quick decision and asking for advice I might of miss clicked.. But yes I have a 3.7 v6 P and one day plan to own a V8 just not right now lol I really do appreciate all the advice though.. Really helped
Old 05-28-2014, 08:34 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How weird? I am pretty sure I posted this on V6 forum! Sorry bud.. Out of making a quick decision and asking for advice I might of miss clicked.. But yes I have a 3.7 v6 P and one day plan to own a V8 just not right now lol I really do appreciate all the advice though.. Really helped
No worries dude (must be on a phone app?) just don't get ideas of FI if you plan to upgrade to a V8. Why? I had such plans and later found out I needed to a V8 to do what I really needed.

Do shorty headers, axle back for sound, and tunes that you can live with; forget throttle bodies or turbos for now and then decide later down the road what you want to do. I got $3k over dealer sales price value on my V6 because it looked still brand new, taken care of with proof of dealer maintenance,and had reasonable mods that did not queer the car's resale value, but instead increased the value.

If you don't plan on keeping the car 3 years , you could forget the shorty headers even, get a MPT tune instead.

Art

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT