Jerky in low gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-25-2014, 11:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Jerky in low gears

Hi all,

I've had my 2014 GT for about 9 or 10 months now. I ordered it from the factory and really haven't had any problems. However when in first, second, and third, and to a much lesser degree in 4th, 5th, and almost non-existent in 6th, if I have my foot off the gas it jerks when I go to apply gas.

So for instance it is most prominent in stop and go traffic when I'm typically in 2nd or 3rd gear. Say I'm in 2nd going only like 15 mph so my RPMs are only just about 1k-ish if I take my foot off the gas (obviously) I slow down. When I go to apply gas it gives a bit of a jerk. The jerk isn't caused by me applying to much gas, I am only giving the slightest touch to the pedal to maintain speed.

Is this normal in Mustangs? It has done this since I have had it and ignored it. Recently I drove a buddy's car and his car didn't do it and realized how much more solid this tranny felt.

EDIT: Failed to mention I have a manual and my buddy's car was also a manual too. After driving his (which is a Suby, not a Mustang) the jerkiness in low gears at low speed became more annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 12:35 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
It's just the throttle response and torque. You gotta remember that Mustangs are built for performance.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Normal. It is from both, having a two pice driveline, and lots of torque. You can have 'real' problems...like owning a Roo! :0
Troy

Old 05-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
It's just the throttle response and torque. You gotta remember that Mustangs are built for performance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Normal. It is from both, having a two pice driveline, and lots of torque. You can have 'real' problems...like owning a Roo! :0
Troy

Thank you guys! That's what I thought it was, but wasn't sure. You put my mind at ease.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Hey...
Post a pic of that sexy grabber blue girl!
Troy
Old 05-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I believe it's that clunkiness from the 2 piece driveshaft.
gtstyles2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:23 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
There's pretty steep leverage in the low gears of this box and that's what it is. The car is going to jump a bit in the low gears. Stop trundling it so low in rpm like a Oldsmobile and you'll find it pretty easy to drive around.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:02 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
You're letting the RPMs drop too low if you're not looking for a jerky ride. Keep it above 1k.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:26 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Jerky huh?

It is all in driving and clutch/throttle operation performance cars take getting used to you will learn your own method to go through the gears smooth as glass, also the one piece aluminum driveshaft is a bolt on improvement and you will notice the difference.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:03 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Just confirming, I feel the same thing. This is my first Mustang after moving on from my Jeep TJ. Even though it was also a stick, the throttle response is night and day with the 2014 GT, so I occasionally feel a little blip when my foot shifts on the pedal. It's a strange feeling for sure. Kind of like a surge or a buck. Glad to know it's just driver error.
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 04:05 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getn off View Post
Hey...
Post a pic of that sexy grabber blue girl!
Troy
You bet when I get home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARgt13 View Post
You're letting the RPMs drop too low if you're not looking for a jerky ride. Keep it above 1k.
It's not possible when I'm in stop and go traffic. Traffic is everywhere in NJ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradone View Post
It is all in driving and clutch/throttle operation performance cars take getting used to you will learn your own method to go through the gears smooth as glass, also the one piece aluminum driveshaft is a bolt on improvement and you will notice the difference.
I'm already very smooth when shifting through the gears. The jerkiness is when I touch the gas when I'm already in gear with my foot previously off the gas in the low gears at low speed. Is spending $800+ worth it for a 1 piece just to help with an annoyance?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadcameron View Post
Just confirming, I feel the same thing. This is my first Mustang after moving on from my Jeep TJ. Even though it was also a stick, the throttle response is night and day with the 2014 GT, so I occasionally feel a little blip when my foot shifts on the pedal. It's a strange feeling for sure. Kind of like a surge or a buck. Glad to know it's just driver error.
It's not driver error. There's nothing you can do about it if the people in front of you are going too slow.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:07 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I don't mean to say its the driver what I meant is the style did I ever feel what you described? Absolutely I did and will a one piece aluminum shaft fix it no not at all, will you feel a difference in the aluminum versus the two piece factory Absolutely you will immediately notice it. I just changed my style of driving to adapt to the car that is all.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:11 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl1121 View Post
It's not driver error. There's nothing you can do about it if the people in front of you are going too slow.
What you have to do when the RPMs are down that low is play with the clutch. Isn't really any other way to avoid the jerk on accel. I clutch in and coast once it gets down that low and then blip the throttle and let the clutch out.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 AM   #15
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Seems everyone is on the right page here. The drivetrain slack is normal and will always cause the slight jerkiness. My best advice would be exactly has KARgt13 mentioned. Find the points where the jerkiness is most common and play with the clutch. You'll be able to make the ride a bit smoother this way!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:06 PM   #16
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Practice makes perfect.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
My dad taught me how to drive a manual when I was 9. The way he taught me was to give out of the clutch as much as you give in to the gas. Feather it. Eventually you'll learn where it catches and then you won't ride on the clutch so much. But a new clutch is cheaper than a new transmission.
Grimace96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post
Seems everyone is on the right page here. The drivetrain slack is normal and will always cause the slight jerkiness. My best advice would be exactly has KARgt13 mentioned. Find the points where the jerkiness is most common and play with the clutch. You'll be able to make the ride a bit smoother this way!

Shane

Is letting it jerk a bit hurtful to the tranny? If it doesn't then wouldn't it be better to put up with the annoyance rather than wearing the clutch?
Old 05-28-2014, 02:29 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is letting it jerk a bit hurtful to the tranny? If it doesn't then wouldn't it be better to put up with the annoyance rather than wearing the clutch?

So, you'd rather be embarrassed than to learn how to drive it properly? (Not meant to sound rude I swear.) you're not gonna have to replace the clutch just from holding it in slightly to keep it from jerking long enough for you to get out of whatever situation is making you drive so slow. I've only had to replace a clutch once and that was only because my ex came back from deployment and wanted to "show off" when he didn't even know how to drive a manual to begin with.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

My car was extra jerky when new as well. I always thought the factory tune sucked so when I had the car retuned the first time it still did it. Recently, I switched tunes to a different tuner and a whole bunch of issues went away including the Jerky throttle. It's smooth as a Ford Taurus now.
Justin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Really don't think he is referring to jerkiness due to clutch engagement, but rather when in slow traffic and still in gear, you slowly add gas and it jerks. These beasts do this because of the hp/tq and the 2 piece ds exacerbates the situation. Try driving a Honda civic same way, and it is smooth as glass.
Only cure is really to depress the clutch quickly when it jerks and feather it out again. Well, i would bet a 1 piece ds would help. When you add a tune, it will get worse, as throttle response is made quicker...depending on which kind of tune you decide on.
Don't think it really will hurt anything except maybe the ds. Hell, if that goes, it's the perfect excuse to spend $800 on an aluminum single piece!
Troy
Old 05-28-2014, 04:24 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimace96 View Post
So, you'd rather be embarrassed than to learn how to drive it properly? (Not meant to sound rude I swear.) you're not gonna have to replace the clutch just from holding it in slightly to keep it from jerking long enough for you to get out of whatever situation is making you drive so slow. I've only had to replace a clutch once and that was only because my ex came back from deployment and wanted to "show off" when he didn't even know how to drive a manual to begin with.

Like Getn off said it's not because I don't know how to drive it properly. Reread my comments. I'm not taking it out of gear. I'm not starting from a stop. This happens while in gear at low speed in low RPMs like really slow traffic. When I put my foot on the gas only enough to maintain this slow speed (read that as barely touching the pedal at all) it jerks a bit, like the tranny and driveshaft has slack in it (which it does).
Old 05-28-2014, 07:00 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Like Getn off said it's not because I don't know how to drive it properly. Reread my comments. I'm not taking it out of gear. I'm not starting from a stop. This happens while in gear at low speed in low RPMs like really slow traffic. When I put my foot on the gas only enough to maintain this slow speed (read that as barely touching the pedal at all) it jerks a bit, like the tranny and driveshaft has slack in it (which it does).
Didn't say you didn't know how to drive, just to learn the car. Stock tuning is crappy. You either get used to it and figure out that you HAVE to feather the clutch, or you get it tuned differently and learn where your lowest rpms can ride before you have to downshift. I have read all of the comments in here sir. It's gonna be jumpy, it's a manual. I've never driven a manual who's clutch didn't need to be feathered in 2nd doing 15mph. Not even my buddy's Shelby GT500 that he's forked out $15,000 in upgrades on. Every car is different. You can have two completely identical cars and I bet anything they drive differently, feel differently, and ride differently. The ONLY cars you will find that are perfect every time are the hand built cars from the UK.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:57 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Yep,that is what my car does; I think its just the way it is...
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:27 PM   #25
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Quote:
Quote:
Letting the drivetrain jerk back and forth a little won't do any harm to the transmission. However, it's annoying and it can be prevented. Riding the clutch a little won't wear it out either. There's a common ground you need to find to ride the clutch out a hair to make the drive smooth. Your clutch will still last 100k miles if driven this way (no REAL track use though lol)

I understand what your thread is about. It's about being at low RPM on the highway, in gear and not touching the gas. But going back to the accelerator pedal to lightly accelerate, the drivetrain slack jerks the car back and forth.

This is can be corrected by driving differently. You need to keep an eye on how low of RPM's you can reach in gear, cruising, and initially getting on the gas, without causing the drivetrain slack to jerk the car. If it happens all the time below 1,400 RPM's, but will never happen above 1,400 RPM's, than that's your breaking point for a smooth ride.

In the future, when you leave it in gear to cruise and go to accelerate, but notice the car is at say 1,200 RPM's (Below the stated 1,400 RPM's), THEN press in the clutch and quickly slip it back into engagement to accelerate. That will taught up the drivetrain slack and allow for a smooth acceleration on the highway or where ever else.

I know this info could have been written better. Hope it makes sense lol. Let me know if I need to clarify anything!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

It all makes sense. It's just not how I was taught to drive a manual.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT