Ride Quality and Handling - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 05-29-2014, 11:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Ride Quality and Handling

Hi Everyone.

Just got a new '14 GT and I'm eager to get rid of the crazy body roll. Unfortunately, almost every suspension component I look to upgrade claims to "Maintain ride quality." How could this be true if harder springs, shocks, and sway bars are used? Something smells fishy.

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but can I get some posts from owners who have installed kits/components and how they affected the ride quality? Thanks, all.
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-29-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If you are looking for reduced body roll go with front and rear sway bars. I will say, if you are looking for springs the H&R super sports are a great drop. Nice and even and I do not scrap at all. They are advertised at 1.7 and 2.4 drop but it really is a great spring!
Roush Stage 1 blower,OE boost gauge,Custom axleback,MRT H-pipe,Barton short shifter and bracket,Whiteline trans bushing,McCleod RXT twin disc clutch w/billet steel flywheel,Steeda braided clutch line,Steeda g-force brace,Steeda subframe braces,Whiteline front sway bar,SR rear sway bar,SR rear vertical links,MM camber plates,Mich Pilot SS tires,Roush rear spoiler and hood heat extractors,25mm wheel spacers,and Ford Performance hood shocks,JLT oil separator,Flossy heavy weight shift knob
20bmr14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:41 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Hotchkis springs here, very comfortable ride. 1.1/1.6 drop front/rear

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
11socal50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2014, 09:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I did the following mods to the suspension of my ride:
-KONI STRT
-STEEDA Sport
-GT500 strut mounts
-Strano adjustable Swaybars
-275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport

No issues, much better handling did not affect the quality of my ride = a very happy owner of a 5.0
2011 GT Premium, Brembo, 3.73, KONI STRT, Steeda Sport springs, GT500 strut mounts, Strano's adjustable swaybars, 275/40R19 Michelin Pilot Super Sport, HAWK HPS, ATE DOT 4, CS style rear pedestal spoiler, AM Eleanor side scoops, "C style" side decals, Black BOSS style roof vinyl, black custom hood vinyl & Black pony.
M3hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 02:58 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
KW coil overs and done lol
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:48 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm running SR performance springs and honestly can't tell a difference in ride quality from the stick track pack springs. However body roll while turning/accel/braking has nearly been eliminated. They accomplish this by using a progressively wound spring. Sharp bumps are absorbed like stock but the small body movements are controlled by the higher rate part of the spring. The downside to this is under extreme conditions such as track or autoX racing the handling can be slightly unpredictable due to the varying characteristics. I've done a few autoX tho and have been more than happy with my setup and consistently faster than equal drivers running stock suspensions.
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
Actually, the factory springs / sway bars are not all that bad. The factory dampers on the other hand are crap. I race Autocross with my 2011 GT in F-Stock and there aren't a lot of upgrades allowable. Here are a couple of shots though from turn 7 on the last AutoX course here in Vegas. This was a fast sweeper that I was showing 1.0g on the lateral accelerometer right on the edge of traction. I am running a stock suspension with Koni Yellows (Red GT) Frank is running stock suspension (Grey GT) slightly different angle but same corner. The truth of the matter is that most people will never drive the factory suspension hard enough to benefit significantly from suspension changes.

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 04:49 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Looks like Koni Shocks and Struts are about $600? For another $400, I can get the entire Eibach Pro-kit with springs and sway bars. Are Koni's really worth it?
offroadcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 06:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

For $1600 you can get KW coilovers which are adjustable. Koni's are not as good as these.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
If you are talking about the KW v3 then no Koni's aren't as good but they aren't $2500 either

If you want, you can dump a lot of money into a suspension but if you just want to get rid of some body roll and improve on the existing capabilities to a point where 99.9% of the population will never use it, a good set of dampers like koni or bilstein and possibly stiffer anti-sways front and rear will get you there for a reasonable price.

-Static
Static_LV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 11:00 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

KW V1 is what I am referring to.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:06 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Static_LV View Post
Actually, the factory springs / sway bars are not all that bad. The factory dampers on the other hand are crap. I race Autocross with my 2011 GT in F-Stock and there aren't a lot of upgrades allowable. Here are a couple of shots though from turn 7 on the last AutoX course here in Vegas. This was a fast sweeper that I was showing 1.0g on the lateral accelerometer right on the edge of traction. I am running a stock suspension with Koni Yellows (Red GT) Frank is running stock suspension (Grey GT) slightly different angle but same corner. The truth of the matter is that most people will never drive the factory suspension hard enough to benefit significantly from suspension changes.

-Static

In both the pics you posted there appears to be much more body roll than my car. I don't really feel the car is underdamped too much with my aftermarket springs. There is much more control than with the stock springs. Although I have the track pack which includes stiffer dampers as stock so maybe that's the difference. Either way shocks are not a bad upgrade at all by any means. I just feel springs are better because you lower the car at the same time lowering the center of gravity and improving upon the 4x4 looks. With that said tho, my next upgrade is a set of koni yellows to remove any additional body movement and to have the ability to adjust the settings. Stiffer springs or stiffer dampers, they're both doing the same thing: increasing the effective spring rate.
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I added the following, car runs true and I ride the parkway with the zipper car boys (4 banger rice burner lowered cars) all the time ride is great and handles like a dream.

Whiteline Panhard Bar and Brace
Whiteline Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets
Whiteline Lower Control Arms
Barton Short Throw Shifter and Bracket
Ford Racing M5300K Ford Lowering Springs 1.5" Drop F/R
Ford Racing M18000A Shock Strut Kit
Ford Racing M18183C Front Strut Mount
Ford Racing Front Lower Control Arm Brace (Competition Orange)
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT