Tune & Order? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-01-2014, 09:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Tune & Order?

So, at this direct moment I have no performance mods installed on my 5.0. I I plan on getting a tune for it, but being a new owner to a Mustang, I am clueless as of what each tune represents and which one to pick. I am using my 5.0 for the streets, and about once a month at the track.
Before I upgrade my performance many are saying to get suspension work done and to get a new shifter bracket. I would also like to lower it about 1".
If someone could, please list in order the mods/upgrades I should install first before tuning, & what each different tune does and is the best for my situation! Thank you in advance MEVO(:Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1401676978.994866.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	961.4 KB
ID:	158358Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1401676988.048959.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	1,006.8 KB
ID:	158359
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
A custom tune should be everyone's first mod. The factory tune is very conservative due to emissions and regulations. I found once I tuned my completely stock motor, the 'new found' power from just the tune was already too much for the sloppy stock suspension (so I'm going straight to suspension work next).

I'm sure you've heard of 'email' tunes (i.e. Bama or Steeda's tunes for life programs). They're great (economically) for basic bolt-on cars and will get the job done. The enthusiast will tell you to go to a performance shop and get a dyno tune - these are the best way to get squeeze the most power out of your motor and mods (and the only way for tuning heavily modified motors), but at a price.

It's highly recommended or most of the time required to revise your tune each time you add a mod. Email tunes offer free revisions. Many use email tunes to get by while still adding mods. Once they're done modding, they may wrap everything up with an expensive dyno tune to squeeze out the remaining power and for maximum tuning precision.

Lastly, without a tune, most mods obtain minimal gains. You may add a CAI, larger throttle body, high performance intake manifold, long tube headers and an off-road mid-pipe - all mods that introduce a much better airflow for a motor - but the stock tune is still telling the motor to suck in and release the same amount of air. A custom tune will tell the motor it can suck in much more air due to the aforementioned mods, resulting in exponential power gains.

Suspension is a whole other beast. I've heard upgrading the shifter in the manuals is also a great first mod as well (on the non-tuning side of things).
Old 06-01-2014, 10:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
[QUOTE=2 Stangz;2021468]A custom tune should be everyone's first mod. The factory tune is very conservative due to emissions and regulations. I found once I tuned my completely stock motor, the 'new found' power from just the tune was already too much for the sloppy stock suspension (so I'm going straight to suspension work next).

I'm sure you've heard of 'email' tunes (i.e. Bama or Steeda's tunes for life programs). They're great (economically) for basic bolt-on cars and will get the job done. The enthusiast will tell you to go to a performance shop and get a dyno tune - these are the best way to get squeeze the most power out of your motor and mods (and the only way for tuning heavily modified motors), but at a price.

It's highly recommended or most of the time required to revise your tune each time you add a mod. Email tunes offer free revisions. Many use email tunes to get by while still adding mods. Once they're done modding, they may wrap everything up with an expensive dyno tune to squeeze out the remaining power and for maximum tuning precision.

Lastly, without a tune, most mods obtain minimal gains. You may add a CAI, larger throttle body, high performance intake manifold, long tube headers and an off-road mid-pipe - all mods that introduce a much better airflow for a motor - but the stock tune is still telling the motor to suck in and release the same amount of air. A custom tune will tell the motor it can suck in much more air due to the aforementioned mods, resulting in exponential power gains.

Suspension is a whole other beast. I've heard upgrading the shifter in the manuals is also a great first mod as well (on the non-tuning side of things).[/ QUOTE]thank you man. 👌👌👌appreciate the effort in the reply
Laquisha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2014, 10:46 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

No problem.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:52 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I did springs, axle backs, tune, and intake in that order and felt each mod fell right in line with the previous.
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 01:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Steeda sport springs, panhard bar, upper strut mounts, bumpsteer kit, X11 joints... Those are my suspension upgrades so far. Got the Steeda short throw, CAI with Steeda tune too. Best upgrade so far!
dugemac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 02:57 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugemac View Post
Steeda sport springs, panhard bar, upper strut mounts, bumpsteer kit, X11 joints... Those are my suspension upgrades so far. Got the Steeda short throw, CAI with Steeda tune too. Best upgrade so far!
I'm taking a very similar approach. I've done a ton of research in the last 6-8 months and have found a deep interest in Steeda's large part selection. I have their custom tune, may go with their CAI in the future, and just ordered their springs/shocks/struts/strut mounts/LCA's/UCA/bumpsteer kit/balljoints (getting my panhard rod and LCA relo brackets from AM).

OP if you're curious on what it takes to properly lower your 'stang, I pretty much listed every mod you'll need to do so.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT