Advice for 2013 GT 5.0? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-03-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Advice for 2013 GT 5.0?

So my family is looking into buying a new car, my mom to be exact. She used to have an 84 Fox so she has a history with Mustangs. When the '13s came out she loved them, but she's skeptical. Is there anything about the '13 GT that one should be aware of? Advice, issues, anything really. She's between the '13 5.0 and the '13 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8.
NFloris_05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Well I have my 2013 GT Manual and LOVE it. No complaints other than shifting with manual was a little sloppy until I got an aftermarket shift bracket. Other than that i am in LOVE with my baby
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:14 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Best thing is for her to go test drive both of them. IMO the genesis is more comparable to the mustang v6 then the GT.

Sent from my HTC One X using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
2014GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2014, 10:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2014GT View Post
Best thing is for her to go test drive both of them. IMO the genesis is more comparable to the mustang v6 then the GT.

My mom likes the look of the genesis and the MPG, but she's like a teenager, she wants something fast haha. She likes driving my Mustang, so that's why she's considering the 5.0.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The Genesis Coupe looks a lot sportier then it is. Honestly the driving dynamics of the car were a disappointment, though for a daily driver its a good ride. The 3.8 has plenty of power and will return better fuel economy then the 5.0. I was not a fan of the inerior on the Genesis, I did not like the styling. The fit and finish was about what you'd expect from Hyundai nowadays (pretty good).

As for the 13 GT, nothing but good things. Very good power, comfortable. However the car is a pony car, not really a two door sports car. Handling is good, but it drives heavier then the Genesis Coupe and is louder and more obnoxious. I like the interior much better on the Mustangs, but that can be subjective. Quality wise they are pretty close.

I never really thought about cross shopping these two cars. Seems to me they are in slightly different segments, though price wise they are comparable. Your Moms just gotta drive them both and make the call, either one should be a fun daily driver. That 3.8 in the Genesis in no slouch.

As for issues, the Mustang has a weak trans. Other then that they've been pretty reliable and by 2013 all the issues were pretty much ironed out. I have a 2012, and the only issue I've experienced is some shifting problems and an engine misfire at part throttle. The misfire was taken care of under warranty via a TSB (O-ring on the crank position sensor), and the shifting issues I've adapted to. If she is looking at an automatic, then there is nothing to really be concerned about.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:19 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I'm a 5.0 guy but the v6 is pretty damn fast in its own right. I would be worried about my mom driving a 400hp GT lol. Have her test drive both

Competition Auto Dyno 93Race Tune, Flowmaster Outlaw Axle-Back, JLT Oil Separator, Barton Two-Post Shifter, Airaid CAI, BMR LCA w/relocation bracket, SR Performance Adj Panhard Bar, Whiteline Panhard Bar Support Brace, MM camber plates, Koni STR Shocks/Struts, Steeda Ultralight Springs. Future Mods: aluminum Driveshaft, Barton short throw shifter, BMR adj UCA, long tubes/H-Pipe
Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
The Genesis Coupe looks a lot sportier then it is. Honestly the driving dynamics of the car were a disappointment, though for a daily driver its a good ride. The 3.8 has plenty of power and will return better fuel economy then the 5.0. I was not a fan of the inerior on the Genesis, I did not like the styling. The fit and finish was about what you'd expect from Hyundai nowadays (pretty good).

As for the 13 GT, nothing but good things. Very good power, comfortable. However the car is a pony car, not really a two door sports car. Handling is good, but it drives heavier then the Genesis Coupe and is louder and more obnoxious. I like the interior much better on the Mustangs, but that can be subjective. Quality wise they are pretty close.

I never really thought about cross shopping these two cars. Seems to me they are in slightly different segments, though price wise they are comparable. Your Moms just gotta drive them both and make the call, either one should be a fun daily driver. That 3.8 in the Genesis in no slouch.

As for issues, the Mustang has a weak trans. Other then that they've been pretty reliable and by 2013 all the issues were pretty much ironed out. I have a 2012, and the only issue I've experienced is some shifting problems and an engine misfire at part throttle. The misfire was taken care of under warranty via a TSB (O-ring on the crank position sensor), and the shifting issues I've adapted to. If she is looking at an automatic, then there is nothing to really be concerned about.

The transmission issue is, from what I've experienced, is all mustangs haha. My 05 has small shifting problems, my dad's '00 has shifting problems and even my friends automatic '14 has issues lol. But she drives a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT, so she's used to Hyundai, but she loves my Mustang and she had an older Fox, so she knows Mustangs.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Stock for stock a 2013v6 is about as quick as your 05gt...... If your gt is stock that is

Old 06-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Stock for stock a 2013v6 is about as quick as your 05gt...... If your gt is stock that is

Sadly yeah haha, I'm only a high school student, but over the summer i should be working and that should change lol.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Well the power difference from an 2005 GT to a 2011+ GT is just ridiculous! If she likes your gt she will like a 2011+ v6. But if she wants to blow your doors off tell to get the 5.0

Old 06-03-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
I just went to myrtle beach on memorial day weekend from here in WV and got 28mpg getting there. We drove about 75 all the way on the interstate and 5 over on the 2 lanes. In town I get pretty good too for a 420 horse car. I can get 18 avg in town if I don't get on it. My car shifts good but does feel clunky. It is completely stock 6 speed. Very nice car and I got it for 28 grand. 2013 GHIG 5.0. Good luck to your mom but tell her to drive them both and I am sure she will pick the pony!
Old 06-03-2014, 05:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

The only advantage the Korean intruder (Hyundai) has... It's the official car in "Burn Notice."
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:33 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

As long as she is looking point her toward a Mazdaspeed3.

I love my 5.0. My only gripes are the cup holders and steering adjustment handle. Do not rely on the back seat.

I agree with the posters above. Drive both.

Cheers,

G

2010 Mazdaspeed 3, sold. Absolutely loved this car.
galens47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 01:52 AM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Washington
Gotta go with the pony!

Sent from my LG-E970 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
natestang07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:32 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

We should put up a challenge for a day: 24 hrs on Mustang Evolution without someone saying the word "issue (s)". Replacement word must be "conundrums". $50 to the last person to post by the end of the day that says the word "conundrum", with no posts throughout the day using the word "issue" or the deal is off.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
We should put up a challenge for a day: 24 hrs on Mustang Evolution without someone saying the word "issue (s)". Replacement word must be "conundrums". $50 to the last person to post by the end of the day that says the word "conundrum", with no posts throughout the day using the word "issue" or the deal is off.

I have experienced conundrums in my MT82,

Have your Mom get the 2014 V6 Premium Auto, no conundrums with it, and can easy street battle the intruder while having a better ride and luxury. I had a 2013 Premium V6 Auto Pony Pak before my 2013 GT. It was farkin' fast, the GT MT82 6 speed is downright violent.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
if she is looking at mpg then she needs to look at something other than the gen coupe. i had a 2012 2.0T and it only got 21 avg mpg. i get 19 avg mpg in my 2013 gt. Other than that I like my gen coupe. I liked the interior personally..nice feature...great NAV system...touch start was awesome...one touch entry was cool. Just wanted to get back in to a mustang again.

rockhillgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post

Have your Mom get the 2014 V6 Premium Auto, no conundrums with it, and can easy street battle the intruder while having a better ride and luxury. I had a 2013 Premium V6 Auto Pony Pak before my 2013 GT. It was farkin' fast, the GT MT82 6 speed is downright violent.
Love it

Old 06-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

$50 reward fail, someone in the 05-09 section dropped the dirty word

Old 06-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #20

Region: Kentucky
She'll get a lot more looks in the gt. I get a lot of looks and compliments
dwlow09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlow09 View Post
Yep, she will get attention. I talk to Moms in 'Stangs every chance I Get
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 12:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Yep, she will get attention. I talk to Moms in 'Stangs every chance I Get
+1
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:52 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFloris_05 View Post
So my family is looking into buying a new car, my mom to be exact. She used to have an 84 Fox so she has a history with Mustangs. When the '13s came out she loved them, but she's skeptical. Is there anything about the '13 GT that one should be aware of? Advice, issues, anything really. She's between the '13 5.0 and the '13 Hyundai Genesis Coupe 3.8.
2013 GT Issues = not able to control oneself and gun it at every stoplight to hear GT500 AB and giggle like idiot
2013 GT advice = Don't over analyze and get it damn it!!!
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 11:53 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well the power difference from an 2005 GT to a 2011+ GT is just ridiculous! If she likes your gt she will like a 2011+ v6. But if she wants to blow your doors off tell to get the 5.0

My mom drives like a racecar driver, she loves being able to be faster than everyone...sadly everyone includes me haha.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:55 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My mom refuses to get anything less than the best lol. She's a stubborn one haha.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwlow09 View Post

She doesn't worry about other people. She doesn't like attention or anything like that, she's not opposed to it, but she doesn't care. She just likes going fast, likes the interior goodies and the look of the car.
Old 06-06-2014, 11:57 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTop5.0 View Post
2013 GT Issues = not able to control oneself and gun it at every stoplight to hear GT500 AB and giggle like idiot
2013 GT advice = Don't over analyze and get it damn it!!!
$50 giveaway FAIL again.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:06 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
$50 giveaway FAIL again.

BOOOOOOOOOO, change the judge.
NoTop5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Only conundrums I've experienced with my 2013 GT involve damage to the painted wheels from the car wash and bonehead at the tire shop. ...and the cup holder position is terrible for a stick shift.

The vehicle drives really well and will look awesome on your mom!
Rusl13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:35 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

The 13 GT will annihilate her sense of times and space reality compared to a stock 05...or the Genesis....and the Mazdaspeed feels faster than it is and the 13 GT is faster than it feels, that's the long and short of it.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:41 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
i had a 2010 or 2011 v6 genesis, idr now cause of how much i hated that car. total piece of crap, stay away.
i would recommend a mazdaspeed3 as well, i had an 08 before the genesis and til this day i still miss that car. i absolutely love my 2014 5.0 though, no complains

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT