First Oil Change - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-04-2014, 11:30 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
First Oil Change

I have a 2014 GT/CS, I have 2600 miles on it I have had it since October of last year I was told that even though I haven't put 5000 miles on it I should change the oil. Just needing a little help sorry if this has been covered before. In case it makes a difference my mods are Steeda cai, boss im, kooks longtube headers 1 7/8, kooks o/r xpipe, roush axlebacks, breenspeed sct x3. Also what's the best oil to use
Randeezy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randeezy23 View Post
I have a 2014 GT/CS, I have 2600 miles on it I have had it since October of last year I was told that even though I haven't put 5000 miles on it I should change the oil. Just needing a little help sorry if this has been covered before. In case it makes a difference my mods are Steeda cai, boss im, kooks longtube headers 1 7/8, kooks o/r xpipe, roush axlebacks, breenspeed sct x3. Also what's the best oil to use
Both myself and the dealer figgured 3000 best for your brake-in first change, then we went with 5,000 after that for both oil change and tire rotation.

Folks will have lots of opinions, but many feel it is best to get the tiny metal parts out of the engine after the break in.

Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 04:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
There's no break in. The motors are broken in from the factory before being shipped. No need to change your oil early.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2014, 09:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
There's no break in. The motors are broken in from the factory before being shipped. No need to change your oil early.
That is NOT what the factory says, look at the required driving types in your owners manual. Yes you are a great hot rodder and know alot; but Ford Tells you a break in is required.

Frankly I broke the 2013 3.7 V6 Cyclone in by driving hard at varied speeds; didn't baby it but made sure to follow the factory instructions of changing RPM all the time for first 500 miles. And it really started getting strong at about 7K.

Off topic but my 2008 5.3 Chevy didn't fully break in and get better millage until about 12,000; it was a rat dog on MPG before that. Dang GM AFM crap on disabling cylinders that Ford doesn't have to do to pass CAFE/CARB numbers.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Oil Change

I have a 2014 GT 5.0 I ran it under various conditions even road trips of 200 miles until I reached 1000 miles at that point I changed the oil, using factory service motor craft synthetic blend Ford factory oil, and again at 3000 miles whenever I get there then next change will be 6k, 9k, 12k etc etc
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
The break-in period is 1000 miles. Do an oil change as soon as you can after that. Then do every 7500 - 10,000 miles if you use full synthetic. I use Mobile 1 full Synthetic btw.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Quote:
It says right in the manual that there is a break in period of the first 1000 miles. To break-in you're supposed to go through the wide range of RPMs.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I recommend amsoil motor oil whenever you decide to do the oil change.
na5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by na5.0 View Post
I recommend amsoil motor oil whenever you decide to do the oil change.
I have avoided that because it seems Amsoil is a MLM like Amway.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Have heard nothing but good things and my car runs smoother with amsoil. Just my 2cents but it's a matter of personal preference.
na5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:20 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl1121 View Post
The break-in period is 1000 miles. Do an oil change as soon as you can after that. Then do every 7500 - 10,000 miles if you use full synthetic. I use Mobile 1 full Synthetic btw.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

It says right in the manual that there is a break in period of the first 1000 miles. To break-in you're supposed to go through the wide range of RPMs.
Mobil 1, which you incorrectly spelled, is no longer a full synthetic.

And I broke my car in at the track. I could care less what the owners manual says since the majority of us don't follow it anyways.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
I have avoided that because it seems Amsoil is a MLM like Amway.
It's not.
Quote:
Originally Posted by na5.0 View Post
Have heard nothing but good things and my car runs smoother with amsoil. Just my 2cents but it's a matter of personal preference.
I use Amsoil as well. 10w-30 works well for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:53 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It's not.
Ohh, so you don't have to join a networked dealer to be a dealer under them anymore to sell it? Yes even speed shops are networked dealer for example, its not sold thru regular automotive jobbers that I can tell.

At least weekends super huge car show, the local networked dealer was setup under a pop-up selling the goods...

Now that does not say anything about the product, in fact I think its very good from what I can see, better than many items on regular shelves. I just don't like using MLMed products as its kinda Effy should something go really really bad on a 8K motor due to a fark up down the line of product distribution. (Damages, Liability, indemnification of up-line dealers?)

And yes, Like George Kastanza, I have a huge pile of receipts on everything that goes inside my car, truck, house, and my body.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:05 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh god, here we go lol. Its still a synthetic oil based on the definition of synthetic. Just because SOME of their formulations use a combination of basestocks, including group III, does not make them any poorer performing then their older formulations. Group III oils offer advantages in some areas over PAO's and POE's. I personally don't like M1, but some idiot posts a half assed spectrograph analysis on the internet and everyone gets up in arms.

Take a gander here, and go look at some UOA's of your favorite "real" synthetic. You won't be impressed, especially for the price of boutique brands like Amsoil, Royal Purple and Redline. In the case of Royal Purple I wouldn't touch their street oils with a 10ft pole, but that's just me.
BadCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:11 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:

And I broke my car in at the track. I could care less what the owners manual says since the majority of us don't follow it anyways.

So because the majority of people don't follow the manual you do the same? By not properly breaking in the engine you could pay in the long run. Is it really worth the potential cost?
Old 06-05-2014, 11:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
Oh god, here we go lol. Its still a synthetic oil based on the definition of synthetic. Just because SOME of their formulations use a combination of basestocks, including group III, does not make them any poorer performing then their older formulations. Group III oils offer advantages in some areas over PAO's and POE's. I personally don't like M1, but some idiot posts a half assed spectrograph analysis on the internet and everyone gets up in arms.

Take a gander here, and go look at some UOA's of your favorite "real" synthetic. You won't be impressed, especially for the price of boutique brands like Amsoil, Royal Purple and Redline. In the case of Royal Purple I wouldn't touch their street oils with a 10ft pole, but that's just me.
Your link is broken. But I'll help you out on that UOA report.
Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl1121 View Post
So because the majority of people don't follow the manual you do the same? By not properly breaking in the engine you could pay in the long run. Is it really worth the potential cost?
No I don't follow the masses. I broke mine in the way I felt it should be done.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have about 8000 miles now.
The oil level was low a few times upto the first 5000 mile change keep an eye on it,
I think ford uses a thin oil for the new engine as its fine now.
Victoryrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #17

Region: California
The Owner's Manual for my car says:
"Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor® that determines when the engine oil needs to be changed based on how your vehicle is used. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduce environmental waste at the same time. This means you won’t have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule; the vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the information display...
Do not exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 kilometers) between service intervals."

Personally, I think that any service provider that recommends oil changes more frequent than what the factory manual does, is trying to get more of your money than is necessary.

2013 Mustang GT base, auto, convertible, DIBM, FRPP ProCal tune M-9603-MGTB with an aFe Pro Dry S drop-in air filter 30-80179, Conceptual Polymer glass oil catch can CP04PA011D.
Gekko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gekko View Post
The Owner's Manual for my car says:
"Your vehicle is equipped with an Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor® that determines when the engine oil needs to be changed based on how your vehicle is used. By using several important factors in its calculations, the monitor helps reduce the cost of owning your vehicle and reduce environmental waste at the same time. This means you won’t have to remember to change the oil on a mileage-based schedule; the vehicle lets you know when an oil change is due by displaying OIL CHANGE REQUIRED in the information display...
Do not exceed one year or 10,000 miles (16,000 kilometers) between service intervals."

Personally, I think that any service provider that recommends oil changes more frequent than what the factory manual does, is trying to get more of your money than is necessary.

^ This, I read my owners manual and this is all it says about oil changes and doesn't say anything about break in. If an oil change was actually required at 500 miles, 3,000 miles or whatever it 'used' to be then the dealer would require you to take the car back to them to make sure EVERY car is properly broken in to avoid warranty work. From what I've read some claim to go easy on the car and don't stay at a steady RPM for the first 1,000 miles. But as far as unusually frequent changes its not necessary like if you were to rebuild an older engine.

I know people who drive there cars hard will change them more regularly as well as I know some people with cars they change every 3 months regardless of the fact that they only drive the car for 1-2 hundred miles in 3 month. Because it has been beat in their head that you must change it every 3k or few months. If it makes you feel better then more power to you, but now a days with engine and oil technology just about any new car can go 8-10 thousand miles for oil changes if not more under average driving conditions.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:26 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadCon View Post
Oh god, here we go lol. Its still a synthetic oil based on the definition of synthetic.
"god" should be capitalized.

"Its" should have an apostrophe.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:17 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
i prefer for "god" to be lower case
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 02:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
"I"

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT