Thinking about tune,but warranty issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Thinking about tune,but warranty issue

I just installed my Roush axle backs and it sounds awesome.My buddy suggested I really should look into getting a tune,he says a good tune makes the car drive night and day difference.My only concern is I'm still under warranty and I've heard if ford does anything with the computer and they re flash the computer I lose my tune and it will un marry the tuner to my car.Then I'd have to send it back in blah blah blah,What if before I take my car in for some service work I just re flash the car to stock?They do whatever work and then put the tune back on when I get the car back?Sounds like it should work but again I'm not sure.And the last thing I want to do is void my warranty.What are my options guys?
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2014, 11:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
When u go to the dealer u can either tell them to not flash your ecu or return it to stock & then load the tune back up once they're done!
As far as warranty it's all on the dealer..different dealers handle things differently but the dealer has to prove the mod/tune caused whatever issue your going in for. Like if u go in for chipping paint they can't say no sorry u have a tune your warranty is voided. But there's plenty of people that got warranty work on various parts having many different mods! Best thing is to talk to your dealer & see how they feel about mods.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:11 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Let's say for some reason idk maybe update or whatever they flash the ecu,after they flash it will I be able to just go and reload my tune and be good?Personally I wouldn't mind just re flashing it to stock prior to a trip to the dealer.As long as I can just upload it back again that works for me ya know what I mean.
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 02:53 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue5.0 View Post
Let's say for some reason idk maybe update or whatever they flash the ecu,after they flash it will I be able to just go and reload my tune and be good?Personally I wouldn't mind just re flashing it to stock prior to a trip to the dealer.As long as I can just upload it back again that works for me ya know what I mean.
If u return it to stock before going to the dealer & then they flash it to update it or whatever I don't see y u wouldn't be able to just load up the tune again since they will be updating the stock tune & your loading a completely new tune I don't see how it can be an issue but u could contact the tuner just to verify 100!
Old 06-08-2014, 02:56 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yea that's what I'll do before I buy it,that's a huge selling point for me.If I can do that then I'll be really happy,it would work out so perfect.
Old 06-08-2014, 03:02 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlue5.0 View Post
Yea that's what I'll do before I buy it,that's a huge selling point for me.If I can do that then I'll be really happy,it would work out so perfect.
Yea contact who ever your thinking of going with as your tuner just to be 100% satisfied but I'm sure u won't run into an issue doing that! I'm sure there's also plenty of people that have done just what u want without issuer hopefully they chime in here soon!
Old 06-08-2014, 03:04 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Yea exactly that's what I'm looking for,someone who has done this that can verify it lol
Old 06-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh2freshstang View Post
If u return it to stock before going to the dealer & then they flash it to update it or whatever I don't see y u wouldn't be able to just load up the tune again since they will be updating the stock tune & your loading a completely new tune I don't see how it can be an issue
But it would be an issue. Even if you put your car back to stock once they flash an update that changes the strategy code. You would need to let your tuner know the new strategy code.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post
But it would be an issue. Even if you put your car back to stock once they flash an update that changes the strategy code. You would need to let your tuner know the new strategy code.
Ah ok I was wrong then! I thought the strategy code is on the side of the ecu? They would change that when flashing it?
Old 06-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
The strategy tune changed when they flash it for an update it will be different number. So dont always go by the number in the ecu code always check the strategy code and always save those code so tou can compare. This is basing from my experience good thing I flashed it back to stock before going in for warranty work and what I did was I put a piece of tape in the obd port so that I know if someone touch it. I did some good judgment there and sure enough the tape was gone and I checked the strategy code and it was different from my last one, so I called MPT and got me a new tune for that new code. Hope this help and im sorry im posting here in a v8 section. Goodluck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
shunc01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by shunc01 View Post
The strategy tune changed when they flash it for an update it will be different number. So dont always go by the number in the ecu code always check the strategy code and always save those code so tou can compare. This is basing from my experience good thing I flashed it back to stock before going in for warranty work and what I did was I put a piece of tape in the obd port so that I know if someone touch it. I did some good judgment there and sure enough the tape was gone and I checked the strategy code and it was different from my last one, so I called MPT and got me a new tune for that new code. Hope this help and im sorry im posting here in a v8 section. Goodluck Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ok I was wrong..that's good to know tho!
Old 06-08-2014, 12:06 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Damnit,not what I wanted to hear lol
Old 06-08-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Tune

I don't think you will have an issue because I am not a Ford dealer or dealership I just don't know for a fact, but I do know once you place a tune on no matter what you do to remove it they can tell it has been done so I would be upfront about it personally but that is just my opinion and it does not mean allot in this big world but again they can tell no matter what if they want to know.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I get what you says are saying,I'm just not trying to end up screwed by losing my tune or warranty.I think I'll ask them how they feel about it and go from there.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
If the code printed on the ECU changed because the dealer flashed it, how is a person who has never tuned their car before supposed to find out what their new code is if they ever decide to tune? You won't already have a tuner to even read the existing code.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:40 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
If the code printed on the ECU changed because the dealer flashed it, how is a person who has never tuned their car before supposed to find out what their new code is if they ever decide to tune? You won't already have a tuner to even read the existing code.

I'm pretty sure when you receive the tuner it is then married by the current code, then further changes would then make it unmarried
Old 06-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
I'm pretty sure when you receive the tuner it is then married by the current code, then further changes would then make it unmarried

What if you don't know the correct current code in the first place because the dealer flashes the ECU and it is now different than the one on the computer label?
Old 06-08-2014, 10:48 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry maybe you didn't understand what I was saying,
Step one: buy the tuner
Step two: plug it in for the first time
Step three: it reads the current code and saves it.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:54 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisBlackGT View Post
Sorry maybe you didn't understand what I was saying,
Step one: buy the tuner
Step two: plug it in for the first time
Step three: it reads the current code and saves it.

Ok. I thought they usually have you include the code right away so they can supply your tunes with the tuner all at once. I guess even if you give them the wrong code to begin with, they can just send you a new tune one once you read the correct code in with the tuner.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:55 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Yea something like that lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT