SR Performance Short Shifter Help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-08-2014, 11:57 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
SR Performance Short Shifter Help

Purchased an SR Performance Short Shifter and bracket from AM and installed it over the weekend. I feel like there is something wrong with it. I am hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have some experience with them. I also noticed some possible issues with it.

I have a 2014 track pack mustang that I purchased in July of 2013. I did receive the revised shifter with the black base for 2014 mustangs with the updated transmissions.

First off, while the throws are slightly shorter, but it doesn't feel better. It is much louder and "crunches" through gears almost like it's slightly off base. The shifts don't feel like the shifter is accurately lining up with each gear. It feels like I am forcing it into gear. You have to push harder than the stock shifter.

The left/right motion while in neutral is very stiff and makes thumping noises when you move it left/right .

The shifter hardly goes down/in when you put it in reverse and won't stay down like the stock shifter.

The spring in the shifter hardly seems strong enough to push the shifter back up after returning to neutral. It comes back up very slowly.

The reverse lockout hardly works. The shifter doesn't dip enough to engage reverse.

The base did not completely cover the mount.

Bottom line, it doesn't feel like a good shifter, i am not comfortable with it at all.

Is it supposed to feel as desribed above?

Other Problems.

Right out of the box. The shifter was installed bakcwards on the base, the reverse lockout is on the wrong side. disassembled it and twisted it 180 to fix that. The picture on their website shows it backwards lol.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2014, 11:59 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Continued.........

The bracket had a piece of rubber that fell off of it as soon as I pulled it from the box. I later realized it was the rubber stopper that is supposed to sit in between the bracket and the frame of the car.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:01 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

The only other experience I have to compare it with was a tri-ax shifter I put into an 02 mustang GT. That shifter was a huge improvement over the stock part and shifted like and dream. Precision shifting is the best way I describe it. I get that the TR3650 on the older mustangs are probably better, but I was expecting that kind of improvement. The Steeda Shifter and SR Performance, brackets included, appear to be identical products, is that not the case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 12:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Is the shifter supposed to be this way or maybe I made some type of error during installation? I don't see what I could have wrong as install is straight forward.

Someone please tell me if this sounds normal.

Please don't jump in and tell me that I need to pull it and install and MGW (although that is probably what I will do at this point).

I am afraid it will cause some damage to my already frail transmission. I was initially going to go with the Steeda set up, but AM had a sale but I figured I would give SR a try at $160 for both pieces.

Few other things that make me uncomfortable.

I notice the installation instructions on AM's website shows a guy taking the shifter apart to change out an internal spring????? What is that about? I didn't get an additional spring. Is that my problem? Totally confusing.

Funny, the guy who posted instructions also had the problem with the shifter being installed backwards on the base from the factory. Almost every review they have mentions this problem, but no one there bothers to have it fixed???? It's also pictured backwards on their website. Not fixing that either I guess. Quality control obviously not their strong point.

If they don't fix that stuff, what other issues would they ignore about this product?

The shifter was only part of my order, the rest of it also had problems. It doesn't make me feel very confident.

I always appreciate any help, any feedback.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
I'll preface this with I've only used and installed two MGW shifters and no other brands. While the MGW is stiffer than stock it is expected as it's designed to have a more positive engagement. Pressing down to go into reverse is also stiffer as it has a stiffer spring in it, as for releasing on it's own I've never paid attention to that. The crunching and not wanting to go into gear is what concerns me, if it's worse than stock I would definitely email who you purchased it from and ask some questions. I know with the MGW you swap bushings and the lower box as well but I'm unsure if the SR requires that. If you only swapped out the horse vagina (stock bracket) and the shifter itself there's really nothing you could have messed up, I'm assuming the only part you swapped was the cup on the bottom of the shifter?
Big Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Shifter and bracket. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, not a professional certified mechanic but I have worked on all the cars I have owned (including 3 BMW's), changing starters, alternators, brakes, rotors, lowering springs struts, shocks, etc. The shifter and bracket took about an hour. I am confident, following the supplied instructions, that I installed it properly. I put that out there to see if there was something commonly missed that someone was familiar with that they could point out
Old 06-09-2014, 02:44 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Shifter and bracket. I am somewhat mechanically inclined, not a professional certified mechanic but I have worked on all the cars I have owned (including 3 BMW's), changing starters, alternators, brakes, rotors, lowering springs struts, shocks, etc. The shifter and bracket took about an hour. I am confident, following the supplied instructions, that I installed it properly. I put that out there to see if there was something commonly missed that someone was familiar with that they could point out.

It is brutal going into gears and the spring is much weaker than the stock shifter.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Stallion 11 View Post
Purchased an SR Performance Short Shifter and bracket from AM and installed it over the weekend. I feel like there is something wrong with it. I am hoping to get some feedback from those of you that have some experience with them. I also noticed some possible issues with it.

I have a 2014 track pack mustang that I purchased in July of 2013. I did receive the revised shifter with the black base for 2014 mustangs with the updated transmissions.

First off, while the throws are slightly shorter, but it doesn't feel better. It is much louder and "crunches" through gears almost like it's slightly off base. The shifts don't feel like the shifter is accurately lining up with each gear. It feels like I am forcing it into gear. You have to push harder than the stock shifter.

The left/right motion while in neutral is very stiff and makes thumping noises when you move it left/right .

The shifter hardly goes down/in when you put it in reverse and won't stay down like the stock shifter.

The spring in the shifter hardly seems strong enough to push the shifter back up after returning to neutral. It comes back up very slowly.

The reverse lockout hardly works. The shifter doesn't dip enough to engage reverse.

The base did not completely cover the mount.

Bottom line, it doesn't feel like a good shifter, i am not comfortable with it at all.

Is it supposed to feel as desribed above?

Other Problems.

Right out of the box. The shifter was installed bakcwards on the base, the reverse lockout is on the wrong side. disassembled it and twisted it 180 to fix that. The picture on their website shows it backwards lol.
Red Stallion 11

Sorry to hear about the trouble here but can you PM your order info and we'll have someone reach out to you today to have this fixed!

-Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:04 PM   #9

Region: North Dakota
I feel your pain bro. I had the same shifter for about a week on my 2013 GT and it was horrible. The reverse lock out sucked, it often went into reverse when I was shifting into 1st. I had to pull the shifter up to get the car into first gear. However the shifter was smooth there was no clunking so you def. have an issue there. I will say though after about one week of driving it like that the shifter actually broke while I was shifting. The base is very cheap and not up to the quality of the stock shifter. Since then I am now sticking with the stock shifter but I am still using the steeda shifter bracket which has made a world of difference and I never miss 3rd. My advice would be to return the shifter, the NVH from the SR one and the bad quality is not worth it. Stick with the better bracket and youll be good to go. Hope this helps.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beni View Post
I feel your pain bro. I had the same shifter for about a week on my 2013 GT and it was horrible. The reverse lock out sucked, it often went into reverse when I was shifting into 1st. I had to pull the shifter up to get the car into first gear. However the shifter was smooth there was no clunking so you def. have an issue there. I will say though after about one week of driving it like that the shifter actually broke while I was shifting. The base is very cheap and not up to the quality of the stock shifter. Since then I am now sticking with the stock shifter but I am still using the steeda shifter bracket which has made a world of difference and I never miss 3rd. My advice would be to return the shifter, the NVH from the SR one and the bad quality is not worth it. Stick with the better bracket and youll be good to go. Hope this helps.
Beni

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble that you had with your unit too-I'm not entirely sure if there had been an isolated issue but could you drop me a PM as well with your order info so I can take a look at something for our development team? I'm happy to have a discount extended to you and the OP for the inconvenience as I was a customer before I started working at AM.

I hope to hear from both of you soon!

-Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 06-09-2014, 06:31 PM   #11

MGW or Barton is the way to go SR is just not a good brand you get want you pay for
davidlee40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:23 PM   #12
Staff
Regular
Staff

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlee40 View Post
MGW or Barton is the way to go SR is just not a good brand you get want you pay for
Beat me to it. You get what you pay for. Sell it and get a Barton or MGW.
2000 Mustang GT Steeda #0048

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
scottydsntknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:24 PM   #13
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California

SR = Shoulda Rethought

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 09:51 PM   #14
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4 View Post
SR = Shoulda Rethought
Haha I got a good chuckle out of that. I'll add that to UPR=Unauthorized Product Reproductions.

Just because I give you advice, doesn't mean I know more than you. Its just means I've done more stupid ****.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:03 PM   #15
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
At first I was thinking Shoulda Reconsidered, but that may have sounded like a good thing on their part.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 12:53 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences everyone. One thing I always loved about owning a mustang is the way that we (owners) help each other and share info.

It turned out to be a very busy day at work and I could not get a chance to respond sooner. I also wanted to take it apart and reinstall it again and see what can be done to make improvementsyhi if possible.

I disassembled the entire shifter and tightened it all down, reinstalled everything taking care to make sure it was all done as precisely as possible.

Here is what I noticed:

1. While there is not much to it, it was poorly assembled from SRP.

2. The shifter has a lot of slop init. There is a lot of play in the handle. You can jiggle and wiggle the handle around quite a bit without moving the shifter at the actual base. This i
Old 06-10-2014, 01:18 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry for duplicate or multiple posts. I am using and iphone and it is not great for this.

Even when engaged in a gear, the extra play will go too far into gear, causing the shifter to broadcast a ton of nvh. After reassembling it, it is much better but still not good. Nothing that I want to spend that kind of money on.

I was working on lowering the car properly. I only purchased the shifter because it was such a good deal. I wasn't planning on spending 3-
Old 06-10-2014, 01:37 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I'm having similar problems on my 14 5.0. It sometimes slips into reverse instead of 1st. And mine actually chatters. Thought it just needed a "break in". Nope. Still there. Removed the shifter and put my stock back and no more chatter. I also have the bracket which does it's job perfect. Shifter is junk sadly.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 01:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Wasn't planning on spending $300-400 but I see that's unavoidable.

The reverse lockout still doesn't work very well. Unfortunately, the car still goes into reverse and not 1st gear.

I spend a good amount of time making sure the rubber boot was properly seated. There is no difference so I must have installed it properly the first time.

The main problem is that it is simply not sturdy from the spring section all the way through the neck. Fix that and it would be a better product.
Old 06-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It kills me how some people can install the same product and give it a 5 star rating, giving it praises and endorsing it as the best thing since sliced bread. Makes me wonder about our friends..........
Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 AM   #21
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
It kills me how some people can install the same product and give it a 5 star rating, giving it praises and endorsing it as the best thing since sliced bread. Makes me wonder about our friends..........
This is why I never ever go by AM reviews honestly. For every person who has experience with other similar parts to whatever part you bought there are 4 or 5 ppl who and see a shiny object and rate it 5 stars without even giving it a chance to prove or disprove itself. I've been into modding Mustangs for almost 15 years now and the one constant is brands like SR often will give you these results.

The Barton or MGW should match your experience with the MT-82 like the Steeda did with the 3650. I personally LURVE my Tri-Ax on my 3650. Ppl always ***** about that transmission but fill with the correct updated fluid level/good fluid and a good shifter and its smooth.

Old 06-10-2014, 06:52 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
All I added was the Barton bracket with my stock shifter and its a world of difference. My transmission actually goes into gear even when its cold, which it wouldn't do prior to the bracket. I was going to change my shifter but I like it with the bracket so it's going to stay. I have a new knob in route from AM to dress it up some.
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post
This is why I never ever go by AM reviews honestly. For every person who has experience with other similar parts to whatever part you bought there are 4 or 5 ppl who and see a shiny object and rate it 5 stars without even giving it a chance to prove or disprove itself. I've been into modding Mustangs for almost 15 years now and the one constant is brands like SR often will give you these results.

The Barton or MGW should match your experience with the MT-82 like the Steeda did with the 3650. I personally LURVE my Tri-Ax on my 3650. Ppl always ***** about that transmission but fill with the correct updated fluid level/good fluid and a good shifter and its smooth.
Scotty I'm still trying to get use to the new avatar. I'll scrolled over several of your post before I realized you had changed it. LOL The hammer is pretty cool though
Bigshow14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:00 AM   #24
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
Scotty I'm still trying to get use to the new avatar. I'll scrolled over several of your post before I realized you had changed it. LOL The hammer is pretty cool though
Lol, figured I'd change it up after they made me a mod. But yeah I keep hearing that the stock shifters on the MT-82s are so terrible its not even funny. IMHO, that is the likely culprit for all the MT-82 issues we all hear about. Crappy shifters and ppl who can't shift or both.

Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I would return it and get the MGW. I know it's been said a 1000 times but it's worth every penny
Rich7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:55 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Is there a proper, trustworthy transmission fluid change diy that is recommended anywhere? I have trust issues now lol.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 AM   #27
Staff
Regular
Staff

Well the fluid spec and quantity will be in your owner's manual. Other than that, its going to be a normal drain/fill.

Old 06-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #28
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottydsntknow View Post

Scottydsnknow,

We make ever effort to post unbiased reviews and we WILL allow negative reviews to be posted about our products as it's bad business for us to not do so. We take isolated problems like these very seriously as we're here to ensure that Stack Racing is aware of what's happening on the front lines.

I also wanted everyone here to know that I'm working with the OP Red Stallion 11via PM to have a return set up for a refund and make this go away for him!

If anyone is to have any problems that I can help out with please do not hesitate to contact me via PM, I'm here to help!

-Alex
Free Same-Day Shipping!
Old 06-10-2014, 02:55 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I have had both MGW and Barton I like the Barton again just an opinion and personal experience Barton has been trouble free so was the MGW both are well made and quality built when installed properly it will work like a dream.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:03 PM   #30

MGW or Barton
Old 06-10-2014, 04:09 PM   #31

Can't beat the MGW or Barton they are the best yes they will run you $300 or $400 but why pay $130 for junk like SR in the end it will cost you more money
Old 06-11-2014, 01:29 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Same with me. I had my SR shifter about a month and I removed it and reinstalled my stock one because I was all ways hitting reverse when trying to go to first. It got so bad that even shifting to second was a pain because it had worn the lock out gate down along the edge. Saving for a Barton one now. The SR bracket on the bottom is fine and does make a big difference along. Should have went Barton to begin with.
joshuabowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:41 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Quote:
Wasn't planning on spending $300-400 but I see that's unavoidable.

The reverse lockout still doesn't work very well. Unfortunately, the car still goes into reverse and not 1st gear.

I spend a good amount of time making sure the rubber boot was properly seated. There is no difference so I must have installed it properly the first time.

The main problem is that it is simply not sturdy from the spring section all the way through the neck. Fix that and it would be a better product.

I can't speak of the Barton as I've never used one, but MGW just released their 2014 version and for within a few bucks more I'll give my money to a company that takes feedback and continues to improve their product line plus it replaces the stock lower box as well!
Big Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:12 AM   #34
Staff
Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAlexLazarus View Post
Scottydsnknow,

We make ever effort to post unbiased reviews and we WILL allow negative reviews to be posted about our products as it's bad business for us to not do so. We take isolated problems like these very seriously as we're here to ensure that Stack Racing is aware of what's happening on the front lines.

I also wanted everyone here to know that I'm working with the OP Red Stallion 11via PM to have a return set up for a refund and make this go away for him!

If anyone is to have any problems that I can help out with please do not hesitate to contact me via PM, I'm here to help!

-Alex
I've written 3 negative reviews now for 3 different products and none of them have went live.

What I was also stating is that ppl just write positive reviews right off the bat when they are still excited to have something new on the car without giving it a few days to see if they REALLY like it so all online reviews need to be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 06-15-2014, 03:52 PM   #35

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigshow14 View Post
All I added was the Barton bracket with my stock shifter and its a world of difference. My transmission actually goes into gear even when its cold, which it wouldn't do prior to the bracket. I was going to change my shifter but I like it with the bracket so it's going to stay. I have a new knob in route from AM to dress it up some.
Who sells the bracket ?
Offaxis is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT