When to change Brembo pads? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
When to change Brembo pads?

I've got 14k miles on my 2011. I know I don't need to change my pads anytime soon hopefully, I'm just curious as to what other people with the Brembo package have got out of their front brakes. Thanks in advance.
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I would assume you change them on a similar schedule as any other brakes - when the pads are looking worn or making noise. I keep an eye on mine and they still look fine at 18k.

I will admit, however, that I haven't the foggiest idea how to pull the calipers apart to change the pads . Never had a brembo equipped car before...I think you need to remove the pins on the spine of the caliper assembly? If someone would chime in (with pics!) I would be grateful.

...Ain't often that I am stumped by cars, but this one has me scratching my head.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 02:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
I would assume you change them on a similar schedule as any other brakes - when the pads are looking worn or making noise. I keep an eye on mine and they still look fine at 18k.

I will admit, however, that I haven't the foggiest idea how to pull the calipers apart to change the pads . Never had a brembo equipped car before...I think you need to remove the pins on the spine of the caliper assembly? If someone would chime in (with pics!) I would be grateful.

...Ain't often that I am stumped by cars, but this one has me scratching my head.
KARgt13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Well I'll be damned. Guess I need to go find a set of skinny clamps. Any idea what size punch that is?
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 10:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
My brakes were actually squeaking horribly when I've been stopping, which is what spurred my initial question. I have taken both the pads out and lightly sanded them just to get the glaze off (it seems to happen when it sits in the garage all winter). Now they don't squeak anymore! Taking the pads out is extremely easy though. I didn't use the clamps because I didn't need to push back my pistons at all, I was able to just pop the pads back in. You may need the clamps when installing new pads as they will have slightly more width.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Good to know! I have never seen clamps like that, but will be purchasing a set ASAP. Thanks for the video upload. Once again, youtube has any instructional video you may need.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT