Possible new ride - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
Possible new ride

Hi guys!

So I've been reading the forums for a while now but just decided to join. Didn't feel like I should join since I don't actually own a Mustang lol.

Well that might be all over now. I wanted to ask what you guys thought about buying a used 2011 GT 37k miles with light modifications.

Modifications are:
Eibach Front and Rear Sway Bars Eibach Lowering Springs SCT/BAMA Custom Tune Barton Short Throw Shifter Saleen Style Custom Front Grill Akebono Slotted Rotors and Brake Pads (front pair only) Custom Cat-Back Exhaust (Pypes XPipe, Roush Axle Back Mufflers) Custom BOSS 302 Valve Covers Custom SVE Drift Wheels (19x 9.5 w/Nitto 275 nt555 tires)

Owner wants 24,500. What do you guys think, is it a smart buy or should I hold off until the 2015 comes out and the prices drop on 2013 and 14s?
Viper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 08:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I don't know if I'd call that light modifications. I think it would be hard to spend over $24k on that when you could get a brand new 14' for $26k-$28k. Just my opinion. They are awesome cars regardless.
BlackFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea if you were gonna do that i would just fork out like $2500 more and get a brand new 2014. I jus got a brand new 14 last weekend for 28k..
Jgrummz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #4

The reason why I am looking at a modified used car is mostly because I have never done any sort of modification to a car, so I don't know if I would even have the capabilities of doing a lot modifications myself.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Is you want to buy a modded car that's fine just keep in mind that for normal people buying a car mods do NOT add value to the car (if anything it slightly decreases it). None of the mods listed are really that bad although I would personally stay away from cars with custom tunes. Even if you couldn't install the mods I wouldn't think any of them would cost more then a few hours of labor at a good shop.

Considering the miles on that car and the fact it's 3 years old 24 is way to much for that car considering you can get a brand new GT that's 3 years newer for 3-4,000 more. Not only would you have a full warranty but generally you would get a better interest rate on a new car making the amount of interest you'll pay for borrowing less then a used car.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
^this pretty much and that was the first year the 5.0 came out and had some issue's and the fact that it has been modded is enough to detour me at that price.

KBB price $21,418 so in reality should be paying around 20k for it. don't let him charge you for things he has done that could potentially harm the car(not saying it did) and voided the warranty (dealership will try pinning it on the modifications).
Kelley Blue Book

Im just putting in my .02$ and what i have gathered from lots of researching and reading reviews post and problems.(since August 2013 joined the forum after finally buying a new one ) There are people on the forum that have far more experience with mustangs and will be able to aid you better then i can.
StangFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
It isn't just $2500 more. TT&L, extended warranty, and everything else goes in there too. Be realistic.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:52 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Possible new ride

With rebates stuff going on you can walk with a new 14 gt off the lot for 28-30k if your fine with cloth seats. Got mine for 30k and some change off the lot but got tech pack and auto. So about 2k added to the price so base gt would be 28k off the lot.
StangFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I wouldn't touch that car to be honest with you. The kind of person who is going to put all those mods into the car and then sell it is the same kind of person who's going to drive the car hard. You can find low mileage (<15k) 2011s around for slightly less than that, granted they aren't modified.

The second point I want to make, is that modifying your own car has a certain specialness to it. You said you haven't done anything like that before, but there is a good deal of satisfaction from doing the mods you want and getting the brands you want and doing them yourself. Don't take that away from yourself if you really want a modded car.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:27 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Listen very carefully........

Wait. Wait a few weeks for 4th of July to come around and Ford puts out heafty rebates 4th of July weekend. The deals are usually only good for that weekend though. You can pick up a nice new 2014 for under $25k if they have rebates similar to what they had last year. Also join a credit union, most Ford dealerships will sell the car for $500 under invoice for members of some CU, then subtract rebates, waive the dealer fee, add sales tax, add tag fees = price of your 2014 mustang.

Credit union is also your best bet for financing. If you bank with USAA they also have an excellent member discount program in place, their interest rates are not as friendly as your local CU will be though.

$25k is way too much for the used mustang, although he does have tons of mods done to the car, it's out of warranty and you can't buy the Ford warranty anymore. With a modded car your are asking for trouble.

Besides, all of the fun is gone if the car is already modded. Isn't the fun part of mustang ownership modifying it to one's taste? Sounds almost like you are getting some sloppy seconds there. I wouldn't pay anymore than $20k for it. Aftermarket parts do NOT hold any bearing on the resale value.
Red Stallion 11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:45 PM   #11

Thank you all for the replies. I'm glad I asked you guys lol. I will definitely look during the July 4th sales and possibly pick up a left over 2013 for cheaper if possible.

And thank you for the credit union I never would have thought of that.

I totally agree that the fun part is modifying myself but my hesitation is that I will not have the proper tools, lift, or knowledge to do the modifications correctly.

Is it worth trying to find a mustang with the track package and brembo package or should I not worry about it?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:05 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM7225 View Post
I wouldn't touch that car to be honest with you. The kind of person who is going to put all those mods into the car and then sell it is the same kind of person who's going to drive the car hard. You can find low mileage (<15k) 2011s around for slightly less than that, granted they aren't modified.

The second point I want to make, is that modifying your own car has a certain specialness to it. You said you haven't done anything like that before, but there is a good deal of satisfaction from doing the mods you want and getting the brands you want and doing them yourself. Don't take that away from yourself if you really want a modded car.
This might be the best point so far. The price is so/so could do better. But you are buying HIS car. buy a bone stock even if used and make it YOUR car. It will be so worth it. Every little think I do brings a huge smile to my face. Can't buy that... well, guess I did lmao
Brembo Pkg, Paxton SC, ID1000's, JMS BAP, Boss IM, JLT CAI, Lund Tuned, Tremec T56 swap, Black Pype Bombs, Pypes LT Headers H-Pipe, McLeod RXT Twin Clutch & LW Flywheel. Alum. DS, MGW Shifter, BMR adj. Panhard, UCA & LCA's, Eibach Pro Damper, Sportline Springs, MMD Louvers, Roush splitters, RTR decklid and surround, CDC Grille, Staggered 20" ACE Alloy Driven, Trufiber Hood.
Sterlingbeast5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:40 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I see both sides and points, but man you can really save some cash when those parts are already there and letting the original owner take the depreciation hit.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Lol you guys act like that mustang was stripped down to a track car and boosted to hell. Those ”mods” could all be done in one saturday. That mustang is way over priced though.
foxbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

People advertise cars as "lady driven". Meaning, it's probably been taken car of and not been too hard on. When I see a mustang with this many mods, I automatically think "not lady driven, but teenager/wildman driven". I'm not saying that mods make you childish or crazy, I'm just saying that that car has probably been driven hard for quite a while.
BlackFiveOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:31 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Way too overpriced for a modded 2011... He is trying to make his money back on his upgrades... Stay away... Buy a new one...
rynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:59 PM   #17

I've been looking for new or lightly used 2013 but haven't found anything yet with the options I want for a decent price.
Old 06-16-2014, 07:23 PM   #18

Region: Illinois
Hey Viper, as far as DIY mods, the fun part is tearing into something and putting it back together. There are tons of resources on the internet that will help you with any mod you want. Plus you have forums like these to ask questions when you get stuck doing a mod. Im a new gt owner, and i had several questions about future mods. Doesnt hurt to ask

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ifixjetz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:00 AM   #19

I know DIY mods will be fun and satisfying but the things I'm nervous about is suspension and installs that require a little further modification.

Also should I be going to dealerships to look for mustangs? As of right now I've mostly been on autotrader and I haven't found anything for a good price with the packages I want. I'm going to try what Red Stallion said which is to go during 4th of July weekend for possible sales.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

It wouldn't hurt to go to a dealership now to look, just be prepared to walk if the price isn't right. That's how they get people is when people come in and can't walk away without a new car. It's kind of a catch 22 if you wait too long because there not making anymore 2014s so the Longer you wait the less section you will have.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:37 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper22 View Post
I know DIY mods will be fun and satisfying but the things I'm nervous about is suspension and installs that require a little further modification.

Also should I be going to dealerships to look for mustangs? As of right now I've mostly been on autotrader and I haven't found anything for a good price with the packages I want. I'm going to try what Red Stallion said which is to go during 4th of July weekend for possible sales.

If you're looking for new, there's lots if incentives in place right now. You can get a base model gt cheaper new than used right now, at least here in tx. Dealers are anticipating a huge demand for the 2015's and the more 14's they sell, the more 15's they will be allocated so they're all very aggressively moving the 14's.
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:14 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Possible new ride

Sorry. Dbl post.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:08 PM   #23

I haven't checked any of my dealers yet for incentives they are offering but I definitely want to check them out soon. Is it worth it to wait to find one with the track pack or should I find the best deal and get the base model?
Old 06-19-2014, 01:12 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If you're a modder, I spose there isn't much point to getting track pack if you're just going to replace all those parts with aftermarket stuff. Brembo's are nice though.

Old 06-20-2014, 11:56 AM   #25

It gives me a nice head start on modding with the brembos the 3.73 rear and lower control arms. I guess I could get a base model and add those mods lol.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:45 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It gives me a nice head start on modding with the brembos the 3.73 rear and lower control arms. I guess I could get a base model and add those mods lol.

The rear control arms aren't really much of an upgrade, you'd still want to replace those. It does give you the upgraded radiator and engine oil cooler, the upgraded diff, and much better brakes (for when you upgrade to larger tires), better/nicer factory wheels, and stickier summer only tires. It'd cost way more to add those mods after the fact than what the track pack costs.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:15 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I wouldn't buy it.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I haven't checked any of my dealers yet for incentives they are offering but I definitely want to check them out soon. Is it worth it to wait to find one with the track pack or should I find the best deal and get the base model?

Dealers offer the same if not more incentives for the premium package and not options you add bc the car is more expensive, although it will still cost more then a base.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:43 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

I just picked up a 2014 base Gt with the 3:73 and appearance package for 27. The dealers here in Florida are giving these cars away. I wanted to buy used to save money but ending up getting new for cheaper. Check your local dealer. With the 15's being ordered now, the deals on 14's are great

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
dapope is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT