That Old School Sound Exhaust - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-16-2014, 07:31 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
That Old School Sound Exhaust

So I have a brand new 14 GT premium that I absolutely adore. Every time I drive her I fall more in love. Owned a 09 Chally RT and this car is sooo much better all around the board and I really enjoyed the Challenger. As I tend to do as my first mod, I'm going with exhaust. I know there are a million exhaust threads but I want everyone's opinion on a exhaust that will give me that old school exhaust note like the muscle cars from the 60's and 70's like this... . Love the sound they make while idling particularly. Any ideas would be appreciated especially a video of something current with this type of sound. Thanks
kmm316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Not going to happen bud. Honestly the new 5.0's sound weird do not have a " mustang " sound at all, definitely not a big block sound like you want.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

You might like the SLP Loudmouth. They bark pretty good. Hope you don't have neighbors...
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2014, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks...I don't want something super loud as much as just trying to obtain that particular sound at idle while having an aggressive bark when gettin on it. This would be the perfect exhaust IMO not sure if its possible though...don't want drone either
Old 06-16-2014, 10:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Borla s

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

+1 borla s-type.. Love em!
na5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
GT500 axle backs, have the resonators cut out. That's probably the cleanest muscle car sound your going to get out of the 5.0
Big Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Are the GT500 ones very much... sorta much... A little much... or much (lol) louder than the stock exhaust???
I can't put a difference on the loudness from you tube videos!??!

I can't seem to find the exhaust I want yet either

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
fivepointwut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 12:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Gt500's are a improvement over stock, have the resonators cut out and they are preferred by many. Nice and throaty with no drone when you get on it and modest around town just cruising. If you want the loudest they aren't it but for about $380 total it's a great option. Add a off-road H pipe if you want them even louder! If you get the GT500's in my opinion you have to have the resonators cut out or your missing out!
Old 06-17-2014, 01:32 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
By exhaust note do you mean the lobbing sound like the car is almost going to cut off? If so there is no exhaust that will give any modern engine that sound. In order to accomplish this your going to have to free up the exhaust and more importantly upgrade the cam.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:51 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
By exhaust note do you mean the lobbing sound like the car is almost going to cut off? If so there is no exhaust that will give any modern engine that sound. In order to accomplish this your going to have to free up the exhaust and more importantly upgrade the cam.

What he said, even then several have stated with different cams that they still don't have that old school sound. Just the nature of the beast!
Old 06-17-2014, 05:15 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like the GT500 exhaust is the way to go then
Old 06-17-2014, 06:01 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
If you want the lobbing sound, you can always get a ghost cam tune. Easy to remove as well, and a lot cheaper than getting cams.

"You might think that's not cricket, and it's not, it's motor racing"

"Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"
gdcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcracing View Post
If you want the lobbing sound, you can always get a ghost cam tune. Easy to remove as well, and a lot cheaper than getting cams.
This is the first I heard of this, is it available 2010 with the 4.6? Got any more info?

Sent from my C811 4G using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-17-2014, 07:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Only way to get a lope on a new 5.0, ( without the dumb cam tune ) Is to delete the VCT and phasers. And install lockouts.

Rapinator126 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 07:35 AM   #16

Region: North Carolina
Where are you guys getting the GT500 axleback? And if you cut out the resonators, does that cause any drone?
cccampbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:29 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I had an exhaust shop make me a quad tip catback system with no resonators or mufflers and has a nice sound at idle. initial startup is loud but when the car comes to idle its calm. and barks when you get on it

more to come...
RubyRed14GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:34 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Not going to happen bud. Honestly the new 5.0's sound weird do not have a " mustang " sound at all, definitely not a big block sound like you want.

What if you delete VCT? Does that change the sound to a more old school sound?

Never mind, just read your last post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:56 AM   #19
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmm316 View Post
So I have a brand new 14 GT premium that I absolutely adore. Every time I drive her I fall more in love. Owned a 09 Chally RT and this car is sooo much better all around the board and I really enjoyed the Challenger. As I tend to do as my first mod, I'm going with exhaust. I know there are a million exhaust threads but I want everyone's opinion on a exhaust that will give me that old school exhaust note like the muscle cars from the 60's and 70's like this... . Love the sound they make while idling particularly. Any ideas would be appreciated especially a video of something current with this type of sound. Thanks
kmm316,

Welcome and Congratulations! That's going to be a real tough one and as Rapinator126 had said the Coyote motor has a sound that's not like any other! My best recommendation if you're looking for a that classic idle would be a Flowmaster American Thunder Axle-Back; They've been in business longer than I've been walking and I've had more of their systems on my vehicles than I can count!

It's incredibly difficult to get a feel for how one is going to sound via headphones/speakers on your computer and while the video I'm going to attach of our shop car will give you an idea my best recommendation would be to track someone down/make a post in a local forum to see if you're able to meet up with someone that can either give you a ride or just rip by your place if they're able to do so.

Let me know if you have any questions at all and I'm here to help!

-Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:59 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by cccampbe View Post
Where are you guys getting the GT500 axleback? And if you cut out the resonators, does that cause any drone?
I cut my resonators, no drones, only a couple pigs came flying out, but it sounded more like a yak. Check the scene on the plane of When Nature Calls, Jim Carrey authenticates the sound best.

Sent from The Prophecy
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Alex, thanks for the detailed reply and now I know why there are a million exhaust threads as it is really hard to narrow down one that provides a sound each person is looking for. How is the drone with the flowmasters you mentioned? I had flows on a silverado, I know they are two different motors and vehicles, but the drone was nauseating at times. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 06-17-2014, 09:36 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

So I looked into the ghost cam tune and I think that may be needed to acquire that lobbing sound I desire. Found this and I think it sounds perfect...
Old 06-17-2014, 10:04 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
This might be what you're looking for. Outlaws, JBA offroad H pipe, resonator delete, and a cam tune. Not mine, but this setup is similar to what I'm aiming for at the end of this summer.

Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 10:42 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
On a brand new car, you can go with the Ford Racing TRACK KEY with Lope Idle and keep your warrentee. See the GT Track key thread. Also you can put in Borla S-types, Borla ATAK, or even Ford Racing Sports made by Borla but have a Ford Racing logo on the tips. Nice idle noise, Bark on putting your foot in, and no drone at Cruz on road or hyway.

I had Ford Racing Sports (Borla s-type) on my V6/Auto and put Borla ATAKs on my 2013GT/MT82 manual.

GT500 Muffs (made my Borla) also work if you remove the resonators, but more work then just bolting on the Borla axle back kits.
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:02 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

That Old School Sound Exhaust

Here's my setup:
- Flowmaster Hushpower catback (h-pipe)
- straight pipes

http://youtu.be/9U6hspKsZWg
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 03:48 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Are the Hushpowers similar in db to GT500's? I haven't bought any new mufflers yet since I sold the Roush's. I'm running the stock mufflers right now, and with no cats or resonators it still gets rowdy at WOT. I don't mind it getting a tick louder, but I definitely don't want it as loud as the Roush's were, that was stupid.

"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Are the Hushpowers similar in db to GT500's? I haven't bought any new mufflers yet since I sold the Roush's. I'm running the stock mufflers right now, and with no cats or resonators it still gets rowdy at WOT. I don't mind it getting a tick louder, but I definitely don't want it as loud as the Roush's were, that was stupid.

The Hushpowers were a little quieter than the GT500 i think but it had a solid wopwopwop on idle and a decent blatblatblat when you gun it. Also I think the tone was a bit deeper than the gt500.

With the straight pipes its loud. Too loud sometimes and has drone at about 1900rpm. Solution is to just be above 2000 and its ok.

Check out this catted Hushpower catback.

DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Here is a link to the Track Key tune Lope Idle with what seem to be the stock muffs:

Sounds like an MPT ghost cam tune on the V6 , I bet the Borlas of any kind, even GT500s would made that as close to old school as you want and have no drone.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:29 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU View Post
Here is a link to the Track Key tune Lope Idle with what seem to be the stock muffs:

Sounds like an MPT ghost cam tune on the V6 , I bet the Borlas of any kind, even GT500s would made that as close to old school as you want and have no drone.

That is definitely the sound I like but will only be present when Trackey is in use. Not good for everyday driving correct?
Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
In the 70's when I was a teen we used "HUSH THRUSH or CHERRY BOMB" mufflers. That was the thing at the time...Nice & Loud !!! You can still buy both of these muffler types today...however, I have no idea on what they would sound like on one of today's motors. Maybe listen on U-Tube. I use an x-pipe, Hi-Flow Cats & Glasspacks & it's got a pretty loud rumble to it...but still not as good as the 70's sound. My car's a 94 5.0.
The Exhaust makes it louder or quieter. The cam makes the engine staggering sound.

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

In the 70's when I was a teen we used "HUSH THRUSH or CHERRY BOMB" mufflers. That was the thing at the time...Nice & Loud !!! You can still buy both of these muffler types today...however, I have no idea on what they would sound like on one of today's motors. Maybe listen on U-Tube. I use an x-pipe, Hi-Flow Cats & Glasspacks & it's got a pretty loud rumble to it...but still not as good as the 70's sound. My car's a 94 5.0.
The Exhaust makes it louder or quieter. The cam makes the engine staggering sound.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:40 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellish Horse View Post

---------- Post added at 06:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 PM ----------

+1

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Mustang Evolution mobile app
hd85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 01:30 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
The 2014 Track key car sounds GOOD !!! Just a little louder would be nice...but then I like it to sound like a stock car at the races or as loud as a Harley that makes you look out your window to see what it is...lol. If they can hear you coming they know to get the hell out of the way.
Hellish Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:33 AM   #33
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Don't waste your money on a brand spanking new set of mufflers. You can find plenty of people on a number of forums selling theirs in great condition for a reasonable price. I stopped buying brand new stuff a long time ago. There are way too may great deals out there from honest people. Check your local C.L. for some mufflers,they always have something on there. Also,hit some local car meets and ask around for some exhaust and to hear some in person.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 08:37 AM   #34
Site Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Alex, thanks for the detailed reply and now I know why there are a million exhaust threads as it is really hard to narrow down one that provides a sound each person is looking for. How is the drone with the flowmasters you mentioned? I had flows on a silverado, I know they are two different motors and vehicles, but the drone was nauseating at times. Thanks for all the advice!
You're very welcome! I always like to think the more the merrier, however most may not share that opinion. I've lurked on this forums for a couple years so believe me, there's more than enough! I've personally never experienced drone with them on my 3V but that's one of those apples to oranges arguments as the Coyote really has a tone of its own.

There's a few other great points here-ArtU had said the Ford Racing setups are identical to the Borla Sytems, which is on point! I've always found that the FR systems are a little more metallic or high pitched whereas the Borla was just plain thick! Borla does advertise zero drone and if it's a concern (I know how bad it can be and it was beyond nauseating for me) I would definitely take a look at one of their setups.

Regarding getting that cam sound you can either go the route of the TrackKey or have an Off-Road Mid Pipe picked up along with a Bama Tuner and we'll have the tune created to achieve that sound.

Let me know if you're to have any questions and I'm here to help any way I can!

-Alex
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A SUPERCHARGED MUSTANG & 2017 RAPTOR!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMAlexLazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is definitely the sound I like but will only be present when Trackey is in use. Not good for everyday driving correct?
Track key works for everyday driving, its like a factory tune that keeps your warrentee.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust