Howling noise - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Howling noise

I am hearing a howling noise when I am going down the highway. Whatever it is, only makes the noise when I am accelerating either by pressing the gas pedal or the cruise control has kicked in. Very quiet when I am coasting. I have some people tell me it's my off-road x pipe, my gears or a bearing. If it was a bearing or the gears wouldn't it do it even coasting? I am not for sure what it is, i am not very tech savvy.I have a 2014 gt/cs with factory 3.73, off road x pipe, custom tune, and a jlt cai. Thanks
first.stang14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2014, 02:43 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Sounds like its the gear whine that many hear from the 3:73's. I had mine replaced once under warranty (mine also blew the pinion seal after about 9k miles). They wouldn't replace a second time due to "modifications that affected the pinion angle". Mine was originally due to improper installation from the factory - possibly the same thing? I know the 3:73's are notorious for this.
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Coyote5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:52 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

If that is my problem and since I have a custom tune on my car, will it be covered on warranty? If they will do it, should I tell them that it does have a custom tune so they won't flash my ECM? Won't that lock my sct if they did flash it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2014, 11:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Mine too.. About 9000 miles I heard the same thing. Ford covered it. Tune should not matter...
GMAN211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:48 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Do I tell them about the tune? I just don't want them to flash my computer and lock my sct
Old 06-19-2014, 11:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

They shouldn't have to mess with that. The ring and pinion wil be swapped out. With the same gear.
I have aluminum drive shaft and quad exhaust.... And it wasn't an issues you should be fine
Old 06-19-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Howling noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by first.stang14 View Post
Do I tell them about the tune? I just don't want them to flash my computer and lock my sct
Your warranty's out the window... Good thing tho is a performance shop might be able to help you relatively cheaply if its just a bad gear. It'll likely be anywhere from $200-400 for labor and $200-250 for parts if you gotta replace it.

Most likely the howling is just the the gearing. You could try and reflash it back to stock and return your car to OEM spec.

Do not ever ever ever tell them you tuned your car unless you are on extremely friendly terms with your Service Advisor MANAGER.

When I first got my SCT and I tried to flash back to stock and it failed. It was Friday night and BAMA was closed (east coast) but I had it towed to the dealership. I talked to the advisor and the manager as I have always everytime I went up there. They knew I had exhaust work and some other mods.

Then I mentioned that I had a tune to the manager. He just stopped without saying another word, picked up the phone and told the tech to stop what he's doing now. He said do not plug the car into the uplink for diagnosis.

Eventually, the replaced the ECM and the way he got around it was he said they reported to Ford that it was completely fried and they saw burn marks on the connection. Must have been water or something damage.

If not for him I think I would have had to pay $1000 buck for parts and labor.

I ***** that part up (well SCT did) but luckily for the manager "being cool" with me he saved my bank.

But being that its a mechanical issue they shouldn't have to check your black box to read anything.

The reason I wouldn't ever tell a dealer or let them ever uplink the car is that if Ford knows you have a tune you will always be in their system as blacklisted for warranty. There's a reason they placed the drivetrain as rated 390lbs. Just a tune alone could push you past 390lbs. So a tune affects an engine output which in turns drives the transmission and puts power to the ground. So tune in effect affects everything.

Good luck
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. I can't return it back to stock because it will throw a code because of not having cats on the car.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks. I can't return it back to stock because it will throw a code because of not having cats on the car.
Return to OEM spec means every part except for catback exhaust. Being that this might have to do with gearing you might want to put the stock springs back on too. This includes your stock cats.

Up to you if you wanna do all that work yourself. It's not too bad probably a one day job if you got good tools at home.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not quite sure all of that is necessary.. Of course it is the safest bet, but they shouldn't be looking at the front of the car to diagnose the ring and pinion. I would call a few different dealers (stay anonymous) and give your situation. Tell them that your ring and pinion are whining, but you have intake, tune, o/r x-pipe. Some may say nope, but most should say "yea, those aren't related." An additional 30hp over stock won't cause your ring and pinion to fail - they were more than likely installed wrong from the factory, like mine were.
2013 Mustang GT w/ Track Pack - Steeda Ultralite Springs, Koni Str.t Struts/Shocks, BMR LCA & Relocation Brackets, BMR Adjustable UCA and Bracket, BMR Adjustable Panhard, DSS Aluminum Driveshaft, Bassani x-pipe and catback, MGW shifter, JLT CAI, Steeda Tune
Old 06-19-2014, 12:39 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Howling noise

Well regardless it must be fixed and the Mod Squad Motto is: You gotta pay to play. If your modded Mustang breaks ya gotta own up and pony up the dough.

I just want the OP to be as informed as possible about what may or may not happen if he brings in the car with a tune.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

And ummm a catless stang is loud. They wouldn't need to check the engine for a tune... Lol
Old 06-19-2014, 01:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Can't argue that you have to pay to play. My diff is whining again as well - started after i lowered my car (all BMR poly control arms/brackets and panhard). I have a feeling the noise was there before, but the stock rubber bushings dampened it. Noise hasn't gotten any worse in the past 3k miles, so i'll wait to replace that until it starts getting noticeably worse. Ford already declined to replace it. I had lower control arms on the first time they replaced it - I informed them of this prior to the service and they didn't care about them.

Also, being loud and having a tune are unrelated. You can just as easily have a tuned car with stock exhaust. There's plenty of people who do muffler/resonator deletes and make plenty of noise. I would still recommend calling a few dealers to get a feel for how they'll react to the tune prior to swapping any parts or scheduling any appointments.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote5o View Post
Can't argue that you have to pay to play. My diff is whining again as well - started after i lowered my car (all BMR poly control arms/brackets and panhard). I have a feeling the noise was there before, but the stock rubber bushings dampened it. Noise hasn't gotten any worse in the past 3k miles, so i'll wait to replace that until it starts getting noticeably worse. Ford already declined to replace it. I had lower control arms on the first time they replaced it - I informed them of this prior to the service and they didn't care about them.

Also, being loud and having a tune are unrelated. You can just as easily have a tuned car with stock exhaust. There's plenty of people who do muffler/resonator deletes and make plenty of noise. I would still recommend calling a few dealers to get a feel for how they'll react to the tune prior to swapping any parts or scheduling any appointments.
I had a 3" catback and it made my exhaust 5 times louder than stock. Then I deleted the cats and it was 5 times louder than just the catback. Much much louder than just resonator deletes and axel backs.

Just saying any advisor or tech worth his paycheck will know that 99% of people who go catless also will have tune and they can hear the exhaust note difference without having to plug anything in.

And if you go catless without a tune then a CEL will pop up. That and the fact that the techs in the garage will start getting killed off by the fumes lol.

OP says he's only got a JLT CAI, tune and straight pipes. It's a four hour job max. Four hours is not enough for me to want to play Russian roulette
Old 06-19-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
They DO call it a Coyote

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

He says offroad x-pipe -> i didnt see anything about straight pipes! I'm imagining a car with an o/r x-pipe and stock mufflers. Which would still be quiet. Straight pipes is another story.. I still have stock cats, so i can't say how quick that job would be, but removing the intake and tune is about 30mins.. so if the dealers tell you "no", i would proceed with returning the car to stock.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
They DO call it a Coyote

Damn... you sir... That's the funniest shiit you've posted by far lol
Old 06-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #18
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
coyote lol
Old 06-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He says offroad x-pipe -> i didnt see anything about straight pipes! I'm imagining a car with an o/r x-pipe and stock mufflers. Which would still be quiet. Straight pipes is another story.. I still have stock cats, so i can't say how quick that job would be, but removing the intake and tune is about 30mins.. so if the dealers tell you "no", i would proceed with returning the car to stock.
He said later it throws a CEL and no cats lol

Yeah 30-45 mins for CAI and tune. Then really an hour or so for the exhaust part but only if you have all the right tools and can bang things out fast crawling under the car. Definitely not worth roulette unless you're super cool with the guys there.
Old 06-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Well.. for the sake of debating because i'm bored at work - you can put an o/r x-pipe on the car with the stock over-axle pipes and mufflers. In which case the o2 would still need to be disabled to remove the CEL, but the car would still be relatively quiet (compared to a car with straight pipes). Not arguing though - if it is straight pipes, the noise alone will raise a flag to investigate a bit more.

I dropped my car off to have the pinion replaced for a second time with the full suspension on it. I got a call less than an hour later listing all of the warranties that i voided - they didn't seem pleased. If only Ford would have allowed BMR to design their rear suspension from the factory!
Old 06-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well.. for the sake of debating because i'm bored at work - you can put an o/r x-pipe on the car with the stock over-axle pipes and mufflers. In which case the o2 would still need to be disabled to remove the CEL, but the car would still be relatively quiet (compared to a car with straight pipes). Not arguing though - if it is straight pipes, the noise alone will raise a flag to investigate a bit more.

I dropped my car off to have the pinion replaced for a second time with the full suspension on it. I got a call less than an hour later listing all of the warranties that i voided - they didn't seem pleased. If only Ford would have allowed BMR to design their rear suspension from the factory!
Lol yeah boredom sucks. I went to my doc and she diagnosed me with a severe case of chronic boredom.

There's some design flaws for sure with the car. But then again probably only .001% of the population would ever consider buying my car the way its set up even if it came from the factory brand new as is. Too rough and loud for the masses lol
Old 06-19-2014, 01:58 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

And the bad thing you is Ford now has you red flagged for warranty work. So harder to do any work without them doing a fine tooth comb even for AC.

I just rather not have to wear a scarlet letter V for voided warranty should I need some legit warranty work like ac lol
Old 06-19-2014, 02:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

If the AC goes, just yank it out.. Weight savings! Windows are always down anyways unless it's raining

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
My rear diff makes a little more noise than it should also. Im not too worried about it. If it breaks I will fix it. But a slight howl doesnt mean its going to break. Ive noticed mine since the car was brand new.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-19-2014, 02:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I was sitting in a coffee shop drive-thru a couple days ago. Lady behind me made two cars behind her back up so she could get the hell out of there and breathe. Now if only the fumes were directed in FRONT of me so I could shorten up lines that way and get to the front quicker.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:13 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I was sitting in a coffee shop drive-thru a couple days ago. Lady behind me made two cars behind her back up so she could get the hell out of there and breathe. Now if only the fumes were directed in FRONT of me so I could shorten up lines that way and get to the front quicker.

Dude you are the type of person that I can see who will get up out your car and harass the people in front by like pissing on the driver window and door handles. That should get them to move... or get your *** beat if the person was Mr. T lol
Old 06-19-2014, 02:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

I pity dat Foo

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

I have farted in line before in an attempt to shorten the line.

Old 06-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I pity dat Foo

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

I have farted in line before in an attempt to shorten the line.

I hope it leaked some dirty water when you did that lol
Old 06-19-2014, 02:21 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

My car doesn't have straight pipes. It does have a off-road x pipe and it is not loud at all. Just a tad bit louder than stock
Old 06-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My car doesn't have straight pipes. It does have a off-road x pipe and it is not loud at all. Just a tad bit louder than stock
Wait so your car has cats or does it not? You said there's a code that gets thrown because you have no cats
Old 06-19-2014, 02:54 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

No cats but stock mufflers is my understanding

Old 06-19-2014, 03:18 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No cats but stock mufflers is my understanding

Never ran a stock muffler with resonators present cat deletes. I guess even without cats a stock axleback would be quieter...
Old 06-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

That is right, no cats with stock mufflers. And just for the record, I called the dealership and told them about my tune and they are going to warranty it as long as it doesn't show any signs of abuse.
Old 06-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

cool...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT