Notchy shifting w/ new OEM shifter? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

Region: Pennsylvania
Notchy shifting w/ new OEM shifter?

Hello all!
I'm new to this site and hoping for some help/advise. As luck would have it, right before my warranty expired last Dec my original shifter broke. Ford replaced it. Upon leaving the dealership I noticed it wasn't shifting like the original, which was always very smooth. The new one was pretty rigid and shifting has become a PITA, driving is not fun anymore! I thought maybe shifters need to be broken in - 500 miles later it still sucks. I never complained to Ford and I figure it's too late now.

It's hard to explain but when you try to shift into the next gear it's almost a two part process. When I shift, you almost have to push it in first (which seems like it's only half way there, then again into gear). Almost like a clunk-clunk. You can't hear it, but you can feel it. It does this for all gears. You also have to use a good amount of force. It's making shifting take twice as long as it should. My clutch is fully engaged as well when shifting. As I said, the original was very smooth up until it broke.

I don't know much about the anatomy of shifters, that's why I'm here. I'm thinking about replacing the whole unit w/ a MGW, but if there's a cheaper fix, I'd like to hear it. Could it be a bad bushing?

thanks guys!
Kristen
Binks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 09:17 PM   #2

Region: Georgia
What's the dealer say? Warranty work should come with a parts/labor warranty, perhaps 12 months or so.
jrapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Try the dealer but consider putting in a braided clutch line. It's on sale on AM this month and it's an inexpensive mod. Make sure you use magnets when removing the clips though. Lot's of people lose them and never find them. Lol
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
The dealer may have changed the lower block that sits on the bottom of the shifter also, the stock one was junk and complete mush. This would explain the firmer shifts, most view this as a positive.
Old 06-23-2014, 09:44 PM   #5

Jrapo, I haven't brought this issue up with the dealer. The first dealership I took her to (when I realized something was wrong/broken) said the shifter was fine and it was normal, which I knew was nonsense. They said several techs drove it and they all said it was ok. The second dealership I went to, the service manager drove her from around back and said immediately it was "sloppy" and he went ahead and replaced the part.

I wasn't aware there was a warranty that came w/ warranty work. I'll contact them tomorrow. Hopefully I can get this fixed. This issue has been such a PITA I've considered trading her in. THANK YOU!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_5.0 View Post
The dealer may have changed the lower block that sits on the bottom of the shifter also, the stock one was junk and complete mush. This would explain the firmer shifts, most view this as a positive.
The original shifter was very smooth, I could shift without thinking about it. This new one, as I said, makes shifting a headache. Instead of a smooth and effortless shift, you have to pull it down, then pull it down again to get from 1st-2nd, 3rd-4th etc. Believe me, this is not a positive/wanted change.
Old 06-23-2014, 10:28 PM   #7

Region: Georgia
Actually it appears Ford dealer work is covered by a 24 month warranty!

http://www.autonews.com/article/2013...oreUserAgent=1

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jrapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 10:38 PM   #8

Thanks Jrapo!!!!
Old 06-24-2014, 02:48 PM   #9
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Binks, is there anyway you could post a video of your issue?

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberBlue5.0 View Post
Binks, is there anyway you could post a video of your issue?
I can try this evening.

I emailed the service mgr that took care of my last complaint. Waiting to see what he says.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:35 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
It seems to me what you're saying is what many have achieved with an upgraded shifter bushing and as someone has said previously, a lot of people want that feeling you have in your shifter. I think it would help clear up the confusion of what's going on.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT