Why Premium? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-23-2014, 09:30 PM   #1

Region: Georgia
Why Premium?

Bought a new 2014 mustang 2 months ago. MT, Premium, Track Pack, Recaro's Nav. Beautiful car. Notchy shifter . . . actually sometimes a soft crunch in 1-2 and 2-3 and I will get that looked when I have time. This is not the purpose of this post however . . .

Owners manual says Premium fuel preferred but must use at least 87 octane. Prior threads say I'll lose ~10hp with 87 octane but truth be told I can't tell any difference. 420 hp, 410 hp, not much difference.

Previous threads say I'll lose MPG's. So today I conducted a little test. First off I have a bit over 2K miles and just changed the oil (first change free at dealer). I've averaged 15MPG for the first 2K miles which was probably 80% city and a mix of premium and regular tanks. I went on a 310 mile highway drive today and filled the tank with regular fuel. I went 250 miles and averaged 24.4 MPG according to the guage. With the tank 3/4 empty, I refilled with premium and drove the last 60 miles with a mostly 93 octane tank and averaged an identical 24.4 MPG. Terrain was identical during the entire drive and I held the speed to 70-75 for both tanks, so all I can say is no difference in MPG's regular versus premium.

So why waste the $$ on expensive fuel? BTW, 24.4 MPG wasn't half bad! I was really concerned I'd never see north of 20.
jrapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 09:39 PM   #2
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
I wouldn't worry about fuel economy so much as I would detonation in the cylinders. I've had this same conversation numerous times on here. At such a high compression ratio, I would never run less than 91 octane fuel. Granted there are knock sensors to pull timing and prevent engine failure but I don't believe that you should rely on the knock sensors to save your motor (which clearly isn't a perfected technology yet) because you're trying to pinch pennies at the pump. Run premium and live worry free

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
If your driving aggressively I would definitely use premium although its kind of hard to judge the MPG differential by your test because especially being purely highway the computer probable barely adjusted for it. You would probable have to run a couple hundred miles to completely flush the lower octane fuel out of your car and give the computer time to adjust. Since the computers will slightly adjust timing based on fuel quality (octane) and its not an on/ off switch for premium/ regular.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #4

Any insight why the owners manual says "Minimum 87 octane"? It's strange that it wouldn't say 91 or 93 octane like they do for other Ford motors. They certainly go out of the way specifying a very rare and expensive 5W-50 motor oil!
Old 06-23-2014, 10:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Since it says 87 it will be fine but I think that most people on these sites tend to be overly caution and if your constantly driving your car like you stole it they would spend the few extra dollars to put in what the car was designed to use for peak performance. Now if your daily driving the car and shifting at 2-3 K it wont matter and you probable wont see any difference.

Another example is oil changes. There are people on here that change there oil every 3-4 months or 3,000 miles. Where in the owners manual it clearly says to enhance oil life follow the oil life indicator and the car will be fine and generally require a change at 10,000 miles. I normally go 6-7 K and the oil still looks clean and after checking it around the 3 k it looks brand new. So it can be said there wasting money although if it makes them feel better its worth the $50-60 for their peace of mind.
StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 12:54 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Personally I wouldn't gamble, you bought a performance car and if you drive it in that form I'd suggest premium fuel. Hell, I data logged the other day with the stock tune with 91 octane from a major retail gas chain and it showed positive knock values 😡. So today I found some stations with 93 and went and put 10 gallons of that in and I'll repeat the data logging to see what it shows. If your not going to drive it hard you probably would be ok but IMO why risk it.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Big Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:08 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrapo View Post
Bought a new 2014 mustang 2 months ago. MT, Premium, Track Pack, Recaro's Nav. Beautiful car. Notchy shifter . . . actually sometimes a soft crunch in 1-2 and 2-3 and I will get that looked when I have time. This is not the purpose of this post however . . .

Owners manual says Premium fuel preferred but must use at least 87 octane. Prior threads say I'll lose ~10hp with 87 octane but truth be told I can't tell any difference. 420 hp, 410 hp, not much difference.

Previous threads say I'll lose MPG's. So today I conducted a little test. First off I have a bit over 2K miles and just changed the oil (first change free at dealer). I've averaged 15MPG for the first 2K miles which was probably 80% city and a mix of premium and regular tanks. I went on a 310 mile highway drive today and filled the tank with regular fuel. I went 250 miles and averaged 24.4 MPG according to the guage. With the tank 3/4 empty, I refilled with premium and drove the last 60 miles with a mostly 93 octane tank and averaged an identical 24.4 MPG. Terrain was identical during the entire drive and I held the speed to 70-75 for both tanks, so all I can say is no difference in MPG's regular versus premium.

So why waste the $$ on expensive fuel? BTW, 24.4 MPG wasn't half bad! I was really concerned I'd never see north of 20.
Consider this as a stupid comparison:
If you want to feed ur 5.0 420hp the same 87 fuel as a 2014 Civic with 143hp spec then do as you want.

Your stock 420 5.0 might survive on 87 gas but I'm gonna say this one more time for all you noob Mustang owners:

If you're concerned with the price of gas the buy a Prius, Civic or even a 10 speed bike.

If you wanna subject your engine to sub gas then... Just do it.

EPA is not what the engine can be primed to do. You use premium gas because by comparison to lower octane you can produce a more powerful combustion.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:26 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nevada
I only fill up with Shell V-Power (their 93 octane fuel). Why?

Not because my tune requires 93 octane fuel. Because its clean gasoline with carbon cleansing additives and I expect a leading manufacturer like Shell NOT to let their pumps fill up with debris-filled fuel or pumps distributing lower octane fuel than advertised (i.e. 87 coming out of 89, 91, and 93 pumps).

Plus, clean fuel burns more efficiently, resulting in better MPG's. You get what you pay for.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #9

Ok ok. Very strong opinions I see. My question was more innocent than intended for a debate. My engine is stock and probably not going to tune it. I drive it normally, meaning aggressively maybe 10-20% of the time and like a good citizen the rest. Using regular 87 per the owners manual will save $1,500 over 5 years so I was simply assuming following the owners manual would be ok and I'd take the savings. I can afford the car just fine plus another 3 cars for the rest of the family plus a couple nice bikes because I'm an avid cyclist. It was a matter of "is using premium the equivalent of flushing $1500 down the toilet? " I can see that the answer is no. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 06-24-2014, 06:43 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Ok ok. Very strong opinions I see. My question was more innocent than intended for a debate. My engine is stock and probably not going to tune it. I drive it normally, meaning aggressively maybe 10-20% of the time and like a good citizen the rest. Using regular 87 per the owners manual will save $1,500 over 5 years so I was simply assuming following the owners manual would be ok and I'd take the savings. I can afford the car just fine plus another 3 cars for the rest of the family plus a couple nice bikes because I'm an avid cyclist. It was a matter of "is using premium the equivalent of flushing $1500 down the toilet? " I can see that the answer is no. Thanks

Why premium pump gas? Because it will provide a higher level of power over regular gas. You don't need premium fuel in your 5.0 bro. If you want more performance out of the engine then premium fuel is the way to go. If you don't care enough about that, just use regular 87 octane fuel.

If saving $1500 dollars over 5 years is important to you, go for it bro. That comes to $ 300 dollars each year saved by using 87 octane fuel. That's a savings of $ 25 dollars each month. That's a savings of .82 cents a day by using 87 octane fuel. For many enthusiasts on here including myself, saving $25 dollars a month is not that important to us.

Nothing wrong with using 87 octane but for many of us, were financially sound to pay an extra .82 cents a day for the better fuel. It is funny that people spend 30 to 40k plus on a high performance sports car and then concern themselves about the fuel costs.

Sent from my little Johnson.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Why Premium?

Quote:
Ok ok. Very strong opinions I see. My question was more innocent than intended for a debate.

Well my initial post wasn't a matter of opinion, it's based off my semi limited knowledge of cars, motors, fluid mechanics, and chemistry. A compression ratio of 11.0:1 is pretty high for a car running pump gas.

Combustion is not only a function of fuel ignition through heat, it is also a function of pressure on the fuel. With that said, 87 octane fuel does not need as much compression as 91 or greater does (octane is actually a measure of gasoline's resistance to combustion) and increasing the pressure on fuel means a lower amount of heat is needed to ignite the fuel. Changing timing does not change how far the fuel is compressed or how much pressure is on the fuel. In fact nothing in a tune will, only changing rod length, piston thickness or shape, or bore will change the compression ratio. Therefore I once again will recommend using premium fuel. But it is your car and your money, treat it as you please.

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

According to my dealer. Regular unleaded (87 or higher) and 5w-20 are perfectly fine. The premium fuel and 5w-50 is recommended on those cars equipped with the track pack. The idea is if you're going to spend the cash for the track pack you're likely to race the vehicle. The higher octane rating and thicker oil are added protection against the heat and high RPM abuse experienced during race conditions.

Go a head and use 87 if you drive it normally most of the time. I don't understand what the big deal is?
Axiom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:12 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
According to my dealer. Regular unleaded (87 or higher) and 5w-20 are perfectly fine. The premium fuel and 5w-50 is recommended on those cars equipped with the track pack. The idea is if you're going to spend the cash for the track pack you're likely to race the vehicle. The higher octane rating and thicker oil are added protection against the heat and high RPM abuse experienced during race conditions.

Go a head and use 87 if you drive it normally most of the time. I don't understand what the big deal is?
Not a big deal. Just a head scratcher is all. It's like someone buying a Lamborghini and then decides that the 335 tires are too expensive or a waste of tire since they don't gun the car and they go put 285 on it.

You don't buy a 420hp car only to pinch on $25/mo or $0.83 a day or basically like 3 bucks per tank. If you can't afford or need to save $0.83 a day to make ends meet then gas isn't the problem.

If you're worried about wasting gas then a Prius is what you need.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:14 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
First, the 5.0 and 3.7 both use controls to maintain maximum use of any fuel. 87 is the minimum you are expected to us in any engine. In the past, and with many current car models you burned what the manufacturer said to for the simple reason that it was a waste of money and actually could hurt an engine to run premium when it was rated for 87 octane. And performance cars that were rated for premium, had to use it. The question is, if you don't care for performance, why get the Coyote engine. The 3.7 is an excellent engine with great performance. It will run great on premium.

Other facts: my 2013 did not break in until 25,000 miles. Then I saw a strong improvement in fuel mileage. This is usually true with any new car.

Ford calls for 5W-20 for emissions/EPA reasons. It is no higher priced, or harder to find than the other oils. The engines are designed with extremely tight tolerances and the oil is better suited to handle the tight tolerances.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:15 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The Cheapest Mod For Your 2011+ 5.0 Mustang GT – Performance Autosport

+10whp and +20wtq just on better gas alone.
20wtq is definitely a noticeable difference.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:23 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasStang77 View Post
Not a big deal. Just a head scratcher is all. It's like someone buying a Lamborghini and then decides that the 335 tires are too expensive or a waste of tire since they don't gun the car and they go put 285 on it.

You don't buy a 420hp car only to pinch on $25/mo or $0.83 a day or basically like 3 bucks per tank. If you can't afford or need to save $0.83 a day to make ends meet then gas isn't the problem.

If you're worried about wasting gas then a Prius is what you need.
Agree 100% in regards to if you're pinching pennies. Buy a Prius.

My point was don't worry about premium vs regular unleaded unless you're more of an aggressive driver. Simply wanted to negate the notion that premium is a 'must have'.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Why ? It will provide improved performance. Pg 161 in the manual. They have revised the wording from what it was I believe.
So we own a performance car so I want to "feed" it the best as it's my prized racehorse.
Better fuel and better cleaning agents are in most 93 gases. So all around I say it's worth it to get the best out of your car.

JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 03:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20 View Post
Why ? It will provide improved performance. Pg 161 in the manual. They have revised the wording from what it was I believe.
So we own a performance car so I want to "feed" it the best as it's my prized racehorse.
Better fuel and better cleaning agents are in most 93 gases. So all around I say it's worth it to get the best out of your car.

It's completely worth it. However I could also understand the viewpoint of someone being a little short on cash for the time being and they're looking to save where they can. Running 87 will save cash and be perfectly safe. Will it save a lot? Not likely. But when times are tough. Money's money.

End of the day it's entirely personal preference. Both options are safe and supported by Ford. Do what makes you happy.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:44 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have a different opinion.
For how you drive your car, on the stock tune, 87 octane fuel will be more than adequate and yes, by running premium fuel you are, indeed, "flushing money down the toilet".
This isn't 1970. The engine management systems of today allow such incredible feats as to run a, relatively, high compression engine, safely, on low octane pump gas.
If Ford thought that running 87 octane fuel would hurt these engines, they would write in the owners manual, on the first page, in big bold letters, "PREMIUM FUEL ONLY. USE OF LOWER OCTANE FUEL WILL VOID WARRANTY". It doesn't cost them a dime to do that.
You're getting kind of a skewed bunch of opinions on this website because we are performance guys, in reality though, the great majority of people that buy new Mustangs are just like you. Folks that want a cool car with some power but don't feel the need to use that power everyday... Unlike most of my ME bro's.
If you plan on driving the car hard, and want it to perform at its peak, run premium. If you're just driving it back and forth to work with the occasional little blast on the throttle to ummm, err, "change lanes".. running regular will do absolutely no harm to your engine whatsoever.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

I'm not sure on MPG but with my car stock and with 89 octane i was getting roughly 300 kms to a tank. 91 octane i was getting around 350 kms to a tank. With a full exhaust and tune with aluminum driveshaft i get around 420/tank. All this is in the city. On highway i get almost 600 kms/tank. There's a difference in octane. The higher it is the less fuel it has to use to burn. It's pretty simple to tell. You won't notice much until your engine is actually broken in. 2k miles is nothing for break in, wait til around 4-5k miles.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:00 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

"Well my initial post wasn't a matter of opinion, it's based off my semi limited knowledge of cars, motors, fluid mechanics, and chemistry. A compression ratio of 11.0:1 is pretty high for a car running pump gas.

Combustion is not only a function of fuel ignition through heat, it is also a function of pressure on the fuel. With that said, 87 octane fuel does not need as much compression as 91 or greater does (octane is actually a measure of gasoline's resistance to combustion) and increasing the pressure on fuel means a lower amount of heat is needed to ignite the fuel. Changing timing does not change how far the fuel is compressed or how much pressure is on the fuel. In fact nothing in a tune will, only changing rod length, piston thickness or shape, or bore will change the compression ratio. Therefore I once again will recommend using premium fuel. But it is your car and your money, treat it as you please."

This is a great explanation. I wanted to add one more variable you missed. Cylinder pressure at the point of ignition is based on compression ratio and temperature as you say. But it is also a function of valve timing. And on a variable valve timing engine, a tune can vary the valve timing - and possibly raise the pressure at ignition - hence tunes for 87, 89, 91, 93 octane.

Essentially, for normal driving with a bone-stock car... Premium is cheap insurance for an expensive engine.
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 08:04 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Why Premium?

I totally agree I always run 91+ but what do you say when I live in this **** hole state of Alabama where 97% of gas stations here say all fuel contains maximum 10% ethanol. I hate running ethanol and that is a completely different conversation but I really don't want to have to buy a fuel treatment every other fill up.
Either way I run 91+ plus ethanol **** in my 2014 track pack, just hope it doesn't give me problems years down the road. I put fuel treatment every few fill ups but really don't want to put it in every damn tank.

Cdgardner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:01 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
I get better mileage with E0, its 89. Couldn't speak to the performance aspect, but she runs great. (V6)

Sent from my XT1049 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:21 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
For just .83 cents a day, you can sponsor this child in need. Won't you open your wallet?

If you're worried about wasting gas then a Prius is what you need.[/QUOTE]
lwandrewz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:49 AM   #25
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Yea you bought a Mustang with 420 horsepower. Don't cheap out on gas, and you will use a lot of it..... It's just the nature of owning this type of car.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 01:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

What Ive been told is if you use 87 octane and push the engine and it keeps detecting some knock, the ecu will remap timing to eliminate it, and keep that map, so in essence you loose some hp. if you then switch to higher octane it will keep the 87 timing map. Resetting the ecu (i think you do this by disconnecting the battery for a while) will revert it to the factory map. so some after using 87 reset the ecu and start using 93 oct or higher to avoid this.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
El Fufi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 05:20 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

just use the 87
blackhawk 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #28
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
87 Fuel

You are not going to hurt it by using 87, however, using 93 will net you an additional 9 - 10 HP. To me, it is the cheapest upgrade in HP. 17 gallon tank, 30 cents more per gallon here in western pa, 5 bucks for ten horsepower, no brainer!
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by REG View Post
You are not going to hurt it by using 87, however, using 93 will net you an additional 9 - 10 HP. To me, it is the cheapest upgrade in HP. 17 gallon tank, 30 cents more per gallon here in western pa, 5 bucks for ten horsepower, no brainer!
My logic on using E0. Costs more, but for the power, FE, and engine health, worthy investment.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Mexico
93 premium runs about $.40 cents more per gallon here than 87 regular. I will probably be sitting at 11K miles for the first year of ownership on my 2014 GT. I have been getting 23 for mixed driving. So doing the math, 11K miles, at 23 mpg, times the extra $.40 per gallon works out to $191 more per year.

I think my cheap *** might start running 93 with the next tank and beyond.

My mileage would have to go up to 25.7 for a wash so I doubt that would happen but I might as well see what that extra 10 to 20 HP feel like.
2014SGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

I know from personal experience that my car does run better on premium. With 87 there was a lag in her throttle response when I went back to 93 she takes off faster and easier...

Black 2008 GT "to punish and enslave" edition
Black8thElement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I get better mileage with E0, its 89. Couldn't speak to the performance aspect, but she runs great. (V6)
Hi Ultra MPG; where are you finding E0? I did the gas search and mostly only expensive Marina fuel can be found in my state. All the pumps I found lacking 10% ethanol stickers, like Kroger, still had 9-11% in them when I tested the gas with the blue colored water separation method.

The gas search site says no federal law requires the 10% sign to be used.

Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 09:32 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I go to a Mickey Mart in Norwalk, Ohio. A bit of a drive, but I only have to go every 600+ miles lol. And with my Insight doing the brunt of the driving, using garbage gas, and getting 80 mpg, I only really go once a month, or there about. I guess it may not be convenient for everyone. Just call the marinas ahead of time and you should be good.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:24 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Fufi View Post
What Ive been told is if you use 87 octane and push the engine and it keeps detecting some knock, the ecu will remap timing to eliminate it, and keep that map, so in essence you loose some hp. if you then switch to higher octane it will keep the 87 timing map. Resetting the ecu (i think you do this by disconnecting the battery for a while) will revert it to the factory map. so some after using 87 reset the ecu and start using 93 oct or higher to avoid this.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

THEN EVERY GT MUSTANG IS MAPPED FOR 87
BECAUSE THE DEALER ALWAYS FILLS THE FIRST TANK FOR FREE WITH
( u guessed it ) 87 Octane
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
It
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackPak View Post
THEN EVERY GT MUSTANG IS MAPPED FOR 87
BECAUSE THE DEALER ALWAYS FILLS THE FIRST TANK FOR FREE WITH
( u guessed it ) 87 Octane
Because dealers are cheap, and most don't give a sh*t after they make the sale.

The GT runs best on (you guessed it) 93 octane.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT