Wet pumpkin - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

Region: Illinois
Wet pumpkin

I had a question. Looking under my car i noticed that my rear end was wet, like something was leaking. Looked underneath and found the rear end pumpkin wet. Seems to be leaking in the front by the input, not from the cover. Is this normal. Any thoughts. I only have 15k on the car

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Ifixjetz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #2

Here is a picture. This is the best i could get

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1403646045903.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	159997  
Old 06-24-2014, 05:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Your pinion seal is gone. Get that fixed asap
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #4

Can this be caused by a blocked axle vent, causing pressure to build

Old 06-24-2014, 05:52 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

meh......pinion seal is a pretty common failure on these. Are you lowered?
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Funny because mine is wet but it's coming from the breather tube on the left side of the said "pumpkin." I've been meaning to get it over to Ford next door to me, but this is my only drive and they don't have loaner cars. What a joke.

"You might think that's not cricket, and it's not, it's motor racing"

"Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"
gdcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcracing View Post
Funny because mine is wet but it's coming from the breather tube on the left side of the said "pumpkin." I've been meaning to get it over to Ford next door to me, but this is my only drive and they don't have loaner cars. What a joke.
Had the same problem, cleaned everything with brake cleaner and fitted a JLT axle expansion tank and so far it's remained dry.
MGW, Blow Fish, AM Hood Struts
Tinted, Borla Touring AB, ProCal Tune
Full Shelby/Kicker Audio Upgrade
WJBertrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:22 PM   #8

I have 2 different leaks. One is definitely comming from the pinion and the axle vent. I have a dry spot between the 2 so i know they are seperate

Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Axle vent is very different from a pinion leak. The pic he posted is most definitely a pinion seal leak. I had a rear end completely lock up on me on the interstate in a '92 GMC Sierra that I bought brand new. Pinion seal failed, and lost all of my fluid and I was on the highway and heard a loud whine, vibration and then it felt like someone pulled the E-Brake. Truck was 6mo old an never taken off road. They blamed a piece of string they said wrapped around the pinion seal caused it to fail and I had to pay for a new rear end. I sold the truck instantly and have never and will never buy another GM product as long as I live.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:53 PM   #10

Thanks guys, going in on tuesday for warranty work

Old 06-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
For those of you have a Leaky Rear End, Depends are now sold in the Extra Absorbance Size.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 05:26 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

No disagreeing that his is a seal. Definitely is. Just kinda pointing out that it seems these rear ends suck and are prone to leaking from any which way they can. My car doesn't even have 6k miles on it. Don't drive it awfully hard most of the time. Had it up in the air one day and noticed it. Cleaned it all off. 2 days later of easy driving, soaked again. Oh well, at least that part of the axle tube won't rust like the rest of it. You think they would paint the damn thing.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdcracing View Post
No disagreeing that his is a seal. Definitely is. Just kinda pointing out that it seems these rear ends suck and are prone to leaking from any which way they can. My car doesn't even have 6k miles on it. Don't drive it awfully hard most of the time. Had it up in the air one day and noticed it. Cleaned it all off. 2 days later of easy driving, soaked again. Oh well, at least that part of the axle tube won't rust like the rest of it. You think they would paint the damn thing.
If the vent is a cause of a rear end leak, theres a TSB from Ford to address it. Go here to read about it, print it out, and take it with you to the dealer to get it corrected on your Mustang:

http://cdn.lrsstatic.com/downloads/t...sb12-08-15.pdf

They replace the cheap vent cap with one that looks like a turkey baster, which allows the rear end fluid to rise, then drain back. This occurs during highway type cruising speeds, or "sprited" type driving. Also, Ford indicates 3 or more quarts of rear end fluid during a change. 2 quarts, plus the friction modifier additive is plenty, and significantly reduces the chance of fluid blowing out of the axle vent tube.
To locate this axle vent tube, jack up the drivers side rear, remove the tire (you can see the axle vent tube without removing the tire, but it makes it easier with it off), and look about 6 to 8 inches back from the end of the wheel end of the tube. You will see this vent cap. Remove it and make sure it's not plugged up, because if it does get plugged, the axle seals at the wheel end of the rear axle will start to leak or the front seal of the rear end, as the pressure built up in the rear end has to go somewhere.
Old 06-25-2014, 06:26 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Makes sense, but I've seen this bulletin before and it applies up to 2013. I have a 2014 and it still has a rattle cap type vent. Wonder if the bulletin was updated to a superseded one.

Old 06-25-2014, 09:46 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I took mine in, there's an updated vent tube or something.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Not long after I bought my car, I installed a Ford aluminum finned diff cover. It had a place for the vent on top of the cover but I put in a plug instead and left the vent in the axle tube. A few months ago I looked under there and noticed a slight wet mark on the axle tube under the vent. I switched the places of the plug and vent with the vent on top of the diff cover and no more leakage. I've read that Ford had done the diff cover swap with the vent on top as a fix for this problem for some people.

Wayne

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT