Warranty Issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-24-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Warranty Issue

I'm getting mixed up on fords warranty and modifications. So far i have longtube headers with offroad x pipe and an aluminum driveshaft with a VMP tune and borla cat back exhaust.

SO far for warranty work, i've had a new motor, new transmission, new clutch and numerous suspension parts. Now my rear end is going. I have 71000 kms on the chassis. I street race my car one in awhile and never do burnouts or even take it to the track or drag strip.

Here's the case. I had some o2 sensors going at headers. The cat ones are disabled from the tune since there is no cats to monitor. I asked the service manager if the sensors would be under warranty. He obvious said no because hes aware of my full exhaust system. But they said the differential is under warranty and that they are replacing it because the gears have issues and the bearings are almost toast.

THis service manager i also ripped on a few years ago when they went to rebuild my joke of a mt-82 transmission, they had it in the shop for 2 months and when they got the parts for synchros and gears they screwed up reverse somehow. Anyways i pretty much made them give me a new transmission because on how long it was in the shop etc. Needless to say the manager wasnt happy because i went all the way up to the head manager of the dealership, Btw ive also caught their employees rev the piss out of my car to hear the exhaust.

Anyways when i spoke to the manager he flat out said they can voide the entire warranty just from the tune itself. They haven't said anything yet but i think they are on the verge of voiding it all. My question is can they void the differential because of the drive shaft and tune etc? I keep hearing whatever you replace for a part they dont warranty etc and if something does go they gotto prove that aftemarket part was the direct cause of it.

Anyways it's a long read but if anyone could chime in on this with experience or shed some light that would be greatly apprectiated, thanks.
Bladezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Yes they can void ur warranty some ppl will say that cant cause they cant prove that those parts caused it but it doesnt really matter all ford calls for to void warranty is pictures of parts, signs of abuse, and lack of maintenance. Ppl can tell u want they want or believe but thats from the ford warranty manual itself i work in a dealer ship and have voided warranty on multiple cars its in the hands of the manager, and tech, u can fight it with the owners and a field service engineer but usually they will side with anything aftermarket or modified is a big NO... For instance had a f350 4x4 with a 6.7 and torqshift 6 trans welded the intermediate to the direct and was shot, guy had a 6in lift woth 35s and a bully dog set to max, with 26k warranty was voided due to the hotline asking for pics of the vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
G3ARH3AD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
From what I know and have experienced if the modification causes the problem to the car, that problem is then voided from the warranty. Any part of the car not modified should still remain under warranty. I've heard all different sides of the coin. I think a lot has to do with who the dealer is, their service department, etc. It sounds like you have been pretty lucky so far with what they have covered so far and did it under warranty, especially if you have had the tune for a while. Keep in mind (not sure how true this is) but they can pull the cars history up on the computer, meaning they can see how you drive it. If this is true at all, it won't help you case. Anyway just this is my two cents, what I've researched, and experienced. Mind you I have not had the problems you have had. Any chance you can try another dealer? Good luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2014, 07:28 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

So basically they can void it from even axle backs as it adds a tiny bit of power?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladezx View Post
So basically they can void it from even axle backs as it adds a tiny bit of power?
True if the axle backs cause any of the problems you are having. However, most dealers (mine for example) say don't touch anything forward of the cats and you are good.

When you tune the car you start messing with the engine performance therefor probably voiding anything that fails on the engine because of that tune. That said there are dealers out there that have worked with customers.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:36 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Technically yes would they no cause u could fight against that, and more then likely over turn the void, plus everyone knows that has no affect on the car for that reason and theyd b only doing it so they wouldnt have to work on the car. But the more modification the harder it is to hide or prove that it didnt help cause a problem. Seeing that u have a good bit of mods and have had alot of items replace under warranty ford can see that and possibly can question the dealership or even charge back a ticket and then the dealer is stuck with the bill. When it comes to warranty ford doesnt mess around thats why some dealers are serious while others arent just have to find 1 that doesnt mind helping ppl out

Old 06-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
From what I know and have experienced if the modification causes the problem to the car, that problem is then voided from the warranty. Any part of the car not modified should still remain under warranty. I've heard all different sides of the coin. I think a lot has to do with who the dealer is, their service department, etc. It sounds like you have been pretty lucky so far with what they have covered so far and did it under warranty, especially if you have had the tune for a while. Keep in mind (not sure how true this is) but they can pull the cars history up on the computer, meaning they can see how you drive it. If this is true at all, it won't help you case. Anyway just this is my two cents, what I've researched, and experienced. Mind you I have not had the problems you have had. Any chance you can try another dealer? Good luck!

All that warranty work was done before the modifications. I've had cat back exhasut since around 20,000 km. Had transmission done at 30,000. Clutch done around 45,000 and the engine done at 57,000. I figured since i basicly have all this stuff done might as well start with minor modifications until i swap out the crappy mt-82 for a magnum xl.

On a side not since i've put longtube headers. I've had a few sensors go {recently because of driving through a deep puddle} but during that time i had the engine light come on for it and was reading the DTC codes to see if anything esle came up. I had a number 8 cylinder misfire detected, but havent received that message since i replaced the o2 sensor and the light hasnt came on since. Engine runs normal now so could that misfire be just be a fluke? I spoke to a technician at ford and he said its gotto be something above, like air filter to spark plug, ive checked ecerything minus the spark plug because i dont have the tool for it yet. Should it be something to be concerned about? First time it showed up and hasnt came back. Engine has had VMP tune for about 5000-8000 Km
Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All that warranty work was done before the modifications. I've had cat back exhasut since around 20,000 km. Had transmission done at 30,000. Clutch done around 45,000 and the engine done at 57,000. I figured since i basicly have all this stuff done might as well start with minor modifications until i swap out the crappy mt-82 for a magnum xl.

On a side not since i've put longtube headers. I've had a few sensors go {recently because of driving through a deep puddle} but during that time i had the engine light come on for it and was reading the DTC codes to see if anything esle came up. I had a number 8 cylinder misfire detected, but havent received that message since i replaced the o2 sensor and the light hasnt came on since. Engine runs normal now so could that misfire be just be a fluke? I spoke to a technician at ford and he said its gotto be something above, like air filter to spark plug, ive checked ecerything minus the spark plug because i dont have the tool for it yet. Should it be something to be concerned about? First time it showed up and hasnt came back. Engine has had VMP tune for about 5000-8000 Km
That number 8 was an issue when the 2011's first came out. I haven't seen the issue pop up again, this is the first I've heard of it in a long time. I would get it checked out for sure, just to make sure everything is firing right. Good to know that all that work was done prior to the tune, etc. If you can just work with your current dealer, hopefully they will help you out.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G3ARH3AD View Post
Technically yes would they no cause u could fight against that, and more then likely over turn the void, plus everyone knows that has no affect on the car for that reason and theyd b only doing it so they wouldnt have to work on the car. But the more modification the harder it is to hide or prove that it didnt help cause a problem. Seeing that u have a good bit of mods and have had alot of items replace under warranty ford can see that and possibly can question the dealership or even charge back a ticket and then the dealer is stuck with the bill. When it comes to warranty ford doesnt mess around thats why some dealers are serious while others arent just have to find 1 that doesnt mind helping ppl out

Oh i realize that. All warranty work before this differential was under stock with just a cat back exhaust and i know they did their process with pics etc to see warranty etc but im just saying with this differential would those mods especially with an aluminum drive shaft. Even though you could argue that it's safer then a 2 piece steel driveshaft and puts less stress on the drivetrain for rotational mass etc. Considering all ford trucks etc use aluminum one piece drive shafts
Old 06-24-2014, 07:45 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I would agree with this.
Old 06-24-2014, 07:49 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

The # 8 misfire could just simply b a slight misfire only under a heavy load next time u go to the dealer do not reset anything and just ask them to check ur mode 6 data for misfire counts to see if there has been any recorded misfires the cel would not appear untill there are so many recorded misfires but some times if u catch the early u can save the coil and only have to replace the plug, but again if ur retune or reset anything all those numbers reset

Old 06-24-2014, 08:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by avengnd View Post
That number 8 was an issue when the 2011's first came out. I haven't seen the issue pop up again, this is the first I've heard of it in a long time. I would get it checked out for sure, just to make sure everything is firing right. Good to know that all that work was done prior to the tune, etc. If you can just work with your current dealer, hopefully they will help you out.
Yeah well this new motor is a 2014 and has about 14,000 km on it. I doubt it could be the tune justin at VMP knows his tuning. I figured maybe it could have been from that puddle i went through because it threw the o2 sensor codes and then a day later a misfire detection and after clearing with the new o2 sensors nothing has come up and engine light is gone.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

A guy i know in parts says even if you revert back to stock it still leaves a ghost trail and the dealer can still find out etc. Was thinking of maybe taking it to the dealer that put the new engine in maybe they are more mod friendly.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:38 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I highly doubt they would for that, they would have to Prove that the axle back exhaust caused a failure and that would be pretty darn hard to do. Just like the Track Key they would have to Prove the software caused a failure and there are no codes that would throw that talk to the engineers at Ford racing and don't even bother wasting your time with the dealer they don't have a say I have been there done that left the dealer standing there with his hands in his pocket wondering why the next day he was replacing my rear end under warranty. Ford gets the final say dealer is just a middle man in the battle they have no authority to void a warranty themselves. this was on a lightly modded car just lowered and axle backs at the time.
Paradone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradone View Post
I highly doubt they would for that, they would have to Prove that the axle back exhaust caused a failure and that would be pretty darn hard to do. Just like the Track Key they would have to Prove the software caused a failure and there are no codes that would throw that talk to the engineers at Ford racing and don't even bother wasting your time with the dealer they don't have a say I have been there done that left the dealer standing there with his hands in his pocket wondering why the next day he was replacing my rear end under warranty. Ford gets the final say dealer is just a middle man in the battle they have no authority to void a warranty themselves. this was on a lightly modded car just lowered and axle backs at the time.

The service manager was telling me that even using the track key for the boss voids warranty. He was saying ford can track how many times its been used and after a certain amount they can void it etc. I called fords customer service line and they were saying its all up to the dealer with modifications. They can void it all. Ford has the final say for warranty claims but as for voiding warranty for mods they said it's all up to the dealer.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Not sure if you're in the States. Since you're using Kilometers, I'll assume you're in Canada?

In The U.S We have the Magnusson-Moss Act. It prevents any Warranty provider from voiding warranties due to modifications unless they can explicitly PROVE the modification was the reason for the failure.

Not entirely sure if they have an equivalent in Canada, definitely worth it to search around.

I actually just got my car back from the shop for a burnt out O2 sensors and have fully modified exhaust. I had to fight them a bit, but they replaced it under warranty.

Here's the law: MLM Law - Lawyer Grimes & Reese PLLC - Attorney Specializing in Multilevel Marketing - Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

I work with Warranties on a daily basis, so they can't BS me , they'll try to BS you all day long so you shell out cash though.
2011 V6 Race Red - Airaid CAI , BBK 73mm Throttle Body, 3.73 FRPP Gears, BBK Longtube Headers , BBK Off Road X-Pipe , Borla ATAKs , SR Performance Strut Tower Brace, MPT 91R Tune, Powerstop Rotors and pads, JLT Oil Seperator, Koni STR.T Struts & Shocks, Eibach Pro Line Springs, BMR Adjustable Panhard Bar, J&M Caster Camber Plates, Mickey Thompson Street Comps on 19" Laguna Seca Hyper Black Wheels, Several other aesthetic mods
JoeyM91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Not true the dealer makes the claim to void the warranty but ford has to approve the void and what items are no longer warrantable

Old 06-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not true the dealer makes the claim to void the warranty but ford has to approve the void and what items are no longer warrantable

The service manager was saying it's up to the dealer to flag a modified vehicle so it goes through fords registry with the VIN etc so ford can keep track and void all future warranty claims etc.

As for the o2 sensors i keep going back from service to parts for warranty but they give the same old "you removed the cats so it's no longer under warranty" even though the cat sensors are disabled from the tune as there is no cats there. It's the header ones that are going. Replaced 3 of them so far. One after installed the headers ( i believe it went from ceramic coating them in flat/gloss black and it going inside the header pipes burning through) and the other 2 just now from going through deep water which i believe water got in and shorted them etc.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:33 AM   #19
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
Just remember that while Ford has to prove the mods caused the failure to void your wtty they may (good chance) refuse to repair it untill the court makes them.

posession is 9/10ths of the law and Ford is in posession of the wtty work.
Old 06-25-2014, 10:10 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
I just had my rear end cover under warranty. At 9000 miles. I have aluminum Driveshaft , quad exhaust and LCA relocations.....
No problems here....

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GMAN211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 04:34 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyM91 View Post
Not sure if you're in the States. Since you're using Kilometers, I'll assume you're in Canada?

In The U.S We have the Magnusson-Moss Act. It prevents any Warranty provider from voiding warranties due to modifications unless they can explicitly PROVE the modification was the reason for the failure.

Not entirely sure if they have an equivalent in Canada, definitely worth it to search around.

I actually just got my car back from the shop for a burnt out O2 sensors and have fully modified exhaust. I had to fight them a bit, but they replaced it under warranty.

Here's the law: MLM Law - Lawyer Grimes & Reese PLLC - Attorney Specializing in Multilevel Marketing - Understanding the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act
That act is gravely misunderstood. It was put in place in the 70's to protect consumers when changing plug wires and PCV valves. Not for changing parameters in a computer. So in essence it is very outdated.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT