Performance Engine shop - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-25-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Performance Engine shop

Does anyone know a good performance engine shop in Houston Tx. For things like doing and overbore and stroke kit on a coyote and all other necessary fixes like rotating assembly and whatnot. Any help would be appreciated.
jkattchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

I'm curious why you want to bore it. I'm assuming major mods, but that will be major money. Do a little homework on the cylinder lining used with the all-aluminum block. There were a few mainstream articles about Ford's plans for engine repair when they rolled out the new 5.0. It isn't something an average engine shop is going to touch, unless they sleeve it. And they quit doing sleeves in aluminum for some reason... It kinda didn't hold up well. Unless you want to spend a lot and be left with a time-bomb.... I would keep stock bore.
jd864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

To be quite honest i want to push as much CU IN as possible out the the coyote just to see what type of numbers it would be able to put down. But out of curiosity do you know how much you can stroke the coyote motor out to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2014, 08:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

In my opinion, 302 cubic inch. No boring at all. But, trying a google search:

http://www.jpcracing.com/coyote-stro...-cubic-inches/

I'm not sure if this is really a bored out 5.0 or a crate engine.
Good luck!
Old 06-25-2014, 09:31 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
You won't do it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:35 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Boring a 5.0 block is going to make it a bomb.
Do research you can get 500-550 at the tires NA.
Talk to people with built motors / mods and get info.
No need to stroke the motor or anything. Just spend the $ and do what it takes to hit 500 NA.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Also there is
Fast lane
Limitless performance
Legendary performance
Auto adrenaline
Houston performance
Slaters
510 race engineering
Strictly performance,
Just to name a few all in Houston areas.

Old 06-25-2014, 10:13 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

instead of bumping CI's what about compression?

MMR seems to take their 5.0's to 5.2 quite regularly, and you could also bump the compression to 13:1 or so and run E85. Lets drop some ricer math on this bizznitch right quick.

Increases in torque are directly proportional to increases in displacement, so lets say you have a 5.0 with Cobrajet, cams, yada yada and you're doing a modest 500 whp at 7800 rpms. This gives us about 337 ft/lbs @ 7800 rpms @ 5.0L.

5.0 to 5.2 is about a 4% increase in torque, so that 337 is now 350 ft/lbs, or about 521 whp.

Now, every point of compression increase i believe is an additional 4% increase (give or take), so from 11:1 to 13:1 gives us 8%. 521* 1.08 = 562 whp, and thats on pump gas (even though the compression would dictate E85)... Got Damn i may be re thinking my build after looking at this lol.

HP = (TQ x rpm) / 5252 by the way, if anyone wants to check my math.
Voltwings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 01:41 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Yeah and $15k is a bargain basement price. Everybody will be doing it anytime now.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 02:01 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
If you were going to do that, I'd look at the wiseco 351, it's a coyote based 351 block.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:47 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
If you were going to do that, I'd look at the wiseco 351, it's a coyote based 351 block.
Its the exact same as the JPC one they linked. I think Wiseco actually dropped the original project and JPC must have picked it up, because last time i checked there was no info on the Wiseco one.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:17 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Its the exact same as the JPC one they linked. I think Wiseco actually dropped the original project and JPC must have picked it up, because last time i checked there was no info on the Wiseco one.
You are right
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

As far as the time bomb goes i kinda agree which is why I am looking into different engine options. However it would be an interesting thing to look into. Thing is I wont do anything to it till my warranty is done for.
Old 06-26-2014, 08:40 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Also what about just doing a stroker on the coyote. In that case you wouldnt run into the problem with have to re-do the sleeves and what not. Just a new rotating assembly.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:00 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkattchee View Post
Also what about just doing a stroker on the coyote. In that case you wouldnt run into the problem with have to re-do the sleeves and what not. Just a new rotating assembly.

Its turbo application, but they're discussing MMR's 5.2L

Built Coyote Stock Bore vs 5.2L

Modular Motorsports Racing The link to said 5.2L
Old 06-26-2014, 09:08 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Yea ive seen that mmr before. Honestly though if im going to spend any money to drop a new engine in im not gonna go .2L up. If i do that im putting at least a 363 in the car maybe a 427 cobra engine.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea ive seen that mmr before. Honestly though if im going to spend any money to drop a new engine in im not gonna go .2L up. If i do that im putting at least a 363 in the car maybe a 427 cobra engine.

Thats why i made the comment about compression as well. If you're going for just a 100% new motor, you may as well just get like a big *** old school carb motor and call it a day, but then you've basically paid ~30k for your coyote rolling chassis ... just doesnt make sense to me to get rid of this engine you know.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yea but even though its a ~30k car if im going to have to drop another 15k into that coyote motor to keep it N/A and get good power out of it (all the while also getting no torque whatsoever) id rather just drop about 12k to get a good 427 custom built for the car. and its a much more sturdy engine. plus carb engines sound alot cooler for the teenager in me.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:25 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, let's take one of the world's most advanced engines, making 1.4 hp/ci with an awesome power/weight ratio and incredible efficiency and replace it with some expensive 1960's technology. Come on... Variable valve timing, electronic knock sensors, automatic timing adjust, fuel injection.... Over 400 hp that gets over 20mpg, idles smooth, starts every time. The Coyote is pretty amazing. And $5000 on bolt-ons can put you around 700hp.
If I'm gonna replace this engine, I would also investigate the jet engine option. They make a ton of power
Or just buy an old hot rod. But I don't have an extra $25k to drop in my daily driver...
Old 06-26-2014, 09:28 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

$5k in bolt ons on the coyote will not give you around 700hp even at the fly. you need at least $7.5k to get to 700hp at the fly.
I do agree with you though which is why i want to keep the engine. but i want to get about 600 all engine. or at least try that before i boost it.
Old 06-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Based off other peoples builds at this time, my current plan is to add a set of cams to my Cobrajet set up. I'm torn between Comp cams, or piecing together some Ford Racing pieces, but my following mods:

rev Auto 5" CAI
SCJ monoblade
SCJ manifold
kooks 1 7/8" shortys
Lethal catless H

have netted me 450 whp at 7600 rpms as it sits. I know i'm giving up a bit with the H-pipe, but i'm hoping to be around 500 - 510 on 93. I'll add Oil pump gears, Boss valve springs / tensioners, lightweight drive shaft / crank pulley and spin this ***** to 8000 all day. That setup alone should still yield around 400 wtq in the midrange, and with my 3.31 i'll have a pretty fat powerband. If you want more "torque" you could always gear up to like a 3.55 or something.

Without too much work, you could probably add a set of ported heads + 1mm oversized valves and be looking at 550 give or take on E85 with that set up. Not 600, but you're certainly getting up there. Have some custom agressive cams made and just take it from there...
Old 06-26-2014, 09:54 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltwings View Post
Based off other peoples builds at this time, my current plan is to add a set of cams to my Cobrajet set up. I'm torn between Comp cams, or piecing together some Ford Racing pieces, but my following mods:

rev Auto 5" CAI
SCJ monoblade
SCJ manifold
kooks 1 7/8" shortys
Lethal catless H

have netted me 450 whp at 7600 rpms as it sits. I know i'm giving up a bit with the H-pipe, but i'm hoping to be around 500 - 510 on 93. I'll add Oil pump gears, Boss valve springs / tensioners, lightweight drive shaft / crank pulley and spin this ***** to 8000 all day. That setup alone should still yield around 400 wtq in the midrange, and with my 3.31 i'll have a pretty fat powerband. If you want more "torque" you could always gear up to like a 3.55 or something.

Without too much work, you could probably add a set of ported heads + 1mm oversized valves and be looking at 550 give or take on E85 with that set up. Not 600, but you're certainly getting up there. Have some custom agressive cams made and just take it from there...
Your on the right track but no.

Hate to tell you but your on a happy dyno slightly. I promise your not at 450 on pump gas with what you listed

A all out build with longtubes, custom cams, heads , e85 , cobra jet etc will get 550+ That is with deleting the VCT / phasers and adding lockouts also.

You personally will not hit 500 -510 with just cams added to your build not on 93 anyways. And it will have to be something other than the Ford racing cams, if you went with e85 and a 1 piece and stage 3's at the least you can get up to about 510.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:10 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
Your on the right track but no.

Hate to tell you but your on a happy dyno slightly. I promise your not at 450 on pump gas with what you listed

A all out build with longtubes, custom cams, heads , e85 , cobra jet etc will get 550+ That is with deleting the VCT / phasers and adding lockouts also.

You personally will not hit 500 -510 with just cams added to your build not on 93 anyways. And it will have to be something other than the Ford racing cams, if you went with e85 and a 1 piece and stage 3's at the least you can get up to about 510.

According to your dyno? I baselined 380 stock and made 450 said and done with my mods sooooo yes, i did make 450. A number is a number, i could have made 300 stock an did 370 with my mods; the Delta is still the same. That being said, i know 500-510 is a bit of a stretch with cams, be it comp or ford racing, but thats why its a goal. Also, like i said, i am piecing this build and goals off of what other people are doing and/or have done, and more than 1 have hit 490-510 on 93.

I am not going to come in here and insult your intellegence, because i have no idea what you do or do not know, but i would appreciate the same. I have done a lot of research in engine dynamics, especially regarding cam tuning, and believe i will have a pretty potent set up said and done.

BTW, for the sake of more ricer math, a stock C6 z06 pulls 60-100 in 4.2 seconds, and i have datalogs showing mine in the high 4.3 / low 4.4 range. Given that car makes about 450 whp stock and is lighter, id say my whp is right about on par.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not going to beat this to death. To hit 500 on 93 your going to need heads. This is all on a properly calibrated dyno.

I have a all out build also. And I'm right at the same power as you with the boss. But I also have heads and e85 valve springs/ valves, and Redline is 8000, I will have actual #'s from the boss to the cobra jet here soon. And it won't be more than 565 max I'm certain. 560-565 is what I'm guessing

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:16 AM ----------

* 460-465.
TYPO the 5

Old 06-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

So do you think it would be more worth it for me to get the 302R heads new custom cams setup with springs and valves and put the cobra jet intake on it with the monoblade. And if i did this set up instead of going s/c whipple what would be the approx #s i could put down if i did all supporting mods like coils and injectors/rails/pump. Also pump gas not E85.

Also currently ive got BBK lth w/ a cat x. Stock dyno was ~380/~340 with the headers and tune im at ~410/~390 now. (HP and Tq respectively)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:26 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Don't waste money on the boss heads. Send yours to get done, also the coils have been proven to hurt power more than help.

Also you won't need fuel rails for NA. on pump gas with heads and custom cams you can hit 500-510.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Why not put high flow rails in it though they arent too expensive and i might need them down the road anyways. and what do you mean when you say coils.
Also are you saying 500-510 with just the custom heads and cams or is that with the CJ mani too?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:36 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why not put high flow rails in it though they arent too expensive and i might need them down the road anyways. and what do you mean when you say coils.
Also are you saying 500-510 with just the custom heads and cams or is that with the CJ mani too?
Your the one who mentioned coils lol
I assumed you were talking about coil packs.

High flow rails will only be needed if you plan on going with a big shot of nitrous or boost.

Yes to hit 500-510 on 93 you will need. Full exhaust, heads, custom cams, and cobra jet mani etc. And spin it to 8000.

Old 06-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Yea i forgot i mentioned that actually. alright so the rails arent need i assume the pump and injectors should still be bumped up though.
and you are talking 500-10 wheels right?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:50 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yea i forgot i mentioned that actually. alright so the rails arent need i assume the pump and injectors should still be bumped up though.
and you are talking 500-10 wheels right?
Yes at the wheels. This is with everything I listed though. Heads/ cams etc. I would go with 47lb injectors and boost a pump, just in case you plan on going e85.

Forgot to ask is your car auto or manual?

Old 06-26-2014, 10:53 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Manny.
And lets say i do all this and while i do have the engine apart put forged internals in it w/ a stroker to 347. Should i worry about having it stroked out or is the only time id have to worry is if i bored it out?
Old 06-26-2014, 10:56 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Manny.
And lets say i do all this and while i do have the engine apart put forged internals in it w/ a stroker to 347. Should i worry about having it stroked out or is the only time id have to worry is if i bored it out?
I would not worry about the boring/ stoking at all bud.

My motor is fully built still a 302 we bumped up the compression slightly.

Old 06-26-2014, 11:06 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Haha if im not satisfied ill just put a turbo on it to feed the CJ beast.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Wait what did you do to up your compression. just put a domed piston on it? and what did you up your compression to anyways.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Wait what did you do to up your compression. just put a domed piston on it? and what did you up your compression to anyways.
Yes pistons. And it's 11.5 vs 11.1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT