Mustang Evolution Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Automatic transmission service

13K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  70monte 
#1 ·
How often, if at all, do you guys with autos service your transmission. Have heard conflicting reports of what's best. Your thought.

11gt auto

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

#2 ·
The transmission is "sealed for life" as it says in my tech manual. I personally would probably change the fluid and filter at 100k miles. You can change it more often if it makes you feel better.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

#7 · (Edited)
Way too long to do service. You either "buy in" to the so called lifetime oil that Ford and others claim to use for automatics, or use a more realistic, sometimes called old school method of flushing every 30K.

I opt for the 30K flushes. Doing so insures the transmission gets a complete (98%) fluid change, verses just dropping a pan and changing a filter with about 4 to 5 quarts of oil. That would be like removing only 3 quarts of engine oil when doing an oil change. This may better than nothing, but the full flush at 30K is going to insure a longer logentivity of your automatic. Heat is the number one reason for failure of an automatic transmission, which also breaks down the oil and its additives.
Many folks used to state that a flush can dislodge contaiminants in an automatic. This is not the case with the newer flush devices used at transmission shps. Plus, doing a flush every 30K insures you don't build up any garbage or sludge in the automatic. A flush is going to set you back around $150.00 to $175.00, but worth it.

I've done automatic transmission flushes on my 2005 Ford F150, my Mustang, and my Ford ranger. The F150 is in my sons hands now; it has over 255K without an automatic transmission failuer to date, The Mustang has 61K (it just got it's second automatic transmission flush), and the Ford Ranger has over 214K and is running on its original automatic transmission, without a failuer as well.

#4 ·
I noticed I dont recall seeing a trans dipstick under my hood. How do you check the level or add fluid in these cars?

#9 ·
I agree with 30,000 mile flush. I too, read the manual. Thats too with two o's

#12 ·
Please, send me a picture of your automatic transmission dipstick....the one on my 2011 Mustang is near impossible to locate and check.

+1

I was just going to ask the same. I just went out and searched all over under my hood and only find oil dipstick. Can it be accessed from the engine compartment? A few Google searches also say no dipstick. Please enlighten us. Share the knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution

#13 ·
Where did I say it had a dipstick under the hood? Never. The dipstick is located on the side of the transmission and does not go up under the hood. How else would you check it?

I speak from experience here not reading an owners manual or what someone posted on the internet.

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
Don't be such an ass. I was just asking a simple question if it was located under the hood, because none of us are finding it in the normal spot, which is under the hood. Get off your high horse and treat others with respect.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
It wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. I would have quoted you if it was.

While you may call it my high horse I call vast experience compared to most here. I wouldn't post it if it wasn't true.

#16 · (Edited)
Folks with prior ownership of vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission would open the hood, and might "expect" to see a transmission dipstick. I did the first time I went to check the fluids. When I did not find one, then it was off to the owners manual to see why it wasn't there. I don't consider this being spoon fed, but rather educated as to where I might find it, if it exists at all.

No worries. I only asked if you had one because a previous owner perhaps installed one on your Mustang. There are some custom rod shops that sell automatic transmission dip sticks, so I figured perhaps yours had one of these.
I don't do the automatic transmission fluid replacement on my Mustang. When the manufacturers started eliminating the drain plug on the torque converters, they made it difficult to remove all the oil for a complete removal. It is now easier for a shop with a flushing machine to do it.

#19 · (Edited)
Hey whatever makes you feel better do it :thumbup: I changed my wifes trans fluid in her explorer at 120k miles. And now at 160+k miles still going strong.

#20 ·
I've seen some under the hood pics with a dipstick so someone makes a kit or something to install one. I for one when u put my converter in want to be able to keep an eye on the fluid and it's condition.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#21 ·
Agreed. Why Ford decided to not make this an easier job by way of a underhood dipstick is beyond me.

Must be an industry trend. My wifes 2012 BMY does not have an engine oil dipstick; BMW chose to install a sensor instead to inform you via the information center that your oil is low. I guess auto manufacturers think auto owners are getting soft when it comes to performing their own maintenance.

#24 ·
Anything like that will leak if not installed correctly. But I have not heard of anyone having issues with leaks besides someone who didn't install a gasket correctly. I think it would be a good mod to go with a converter.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.