Automatic transmission service - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-27-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Automatic transmission service

How often, if at all, do you guys with autos service your transmission. Have heard conflicting reports of what's best. Your thought.

11gt auto

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Kona Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
The transmission is "sealed for life" as it says in my tech manual. I personally would probably change the fluid and filter at 100k miles. You can change it more often if it makes you feel better.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I changed mine over to Amsoil when I installed my torque converter. But unless you're changing the converter I wouldn't worry about it. The dipstick is difficult to work with/check as far as the level is concerned.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I noticed I dont recall seeing a trans dipstick under my hood. How do you check the level or add fluid in these cars?
UrMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 01:33 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Does anyone read the manual?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:46 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
I noticed I dont recall seeing a trans dipstick under my hood. How do you check the level or add fluid in these cars?
The dipstick is on the transmission.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
Does anyone read the manual?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
That would be to easy.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ13GT View Post
The transmission is "sealed for life" as it says in my tech manual. I personally would probably change the fluid and filter at 100k miles. You can change it more often if it makes you feel better.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Way too long to do service. You either "buy in" to the so called lifetime oil that Ford and others claim to use for automatics, or use a more realistic, sometimes called old school method of flushing every 30K.

I opt for the 30K flushes. Doing so insures the transmission gets a complete (98%) fluid change, verses just dropping a pan and changing a filter with about 4 to 5 quarts of oil. That would be like removing only 3 quarts of engine oil when doing an oil change. This may better than nothing, but the full flush at 30K is going to insure a longer logentivity of your automatic. Heat is the number one reason for failure of an automatic transmission, which also breaks down the oil and its additives.
Many folks used to state that a flush can dislodge contaiminants in an automatic. This is not the case with the newer flush devices used at transmission shps. Plus, doing a flush every 30K insures you don't build up any garbage or sludge in the automatic. A flush is going to set you back around $150.00 to $175.00, but worth it.

I've done automatic transmission flushes on my 2005 Ford F150, my Mustang, and my Ford ranger. The F150 is in my sons hands now; it has over 255K without an automatic transmission failuer to date, The Mustang has 61K (it just got it's second automatic transmission flush), and the Ford Ranger has over 214K and is running on its original automatic transmission, without a failuer as well.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:44 AM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber Blue5.0 View Post

That would be to easy.
Good luck finding a readable dipstick for your automatic transmission on a 2011 to 2014 Mustang.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I agree with 30,000 mile flush. I too, read the manual. Thats too with two o's
Old 07-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
So you have the flush done at your Ford dealership?
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:35 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Good luck finding a readable dipstick for your automatic transmission on a 2011 to 2014 Mustang.
This post makes no sense. These cars have dipsticks on the transmissions that are very easily readable. How do you think I changed my own fluid when I installed a converter? By filling the transmission and checking the fluid level.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #12
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
This post makes no sense. These cars have dipsticks on the transmissions that are very easily readable. How do you think I changed my own fluid when I installed a converter? By filling the transmission and checking the fluid level.
Please, send me a picture of your automatic transmission dipstick....here's the description from my 2011 owners manual (page 298) for checking the automatic transmission:

TRANSMISSION FLUID
Checking automatic transmission fluid
The automatic transmission does not have an underhood transmission
fluid dipstick.

Refer to your scheduled maintenance information for scheduled
intervals for fluid checks and changes. Your transmission does not
consume fluid. However, the fluid level should be checked if the
transmission is not working properly, (i.e., if the transmission slips or
shifts slowly) or if you notice some sign of fluid leakage.
Transmission fluid should be checked and, if required, added by
an authorized dealer.

Do not use supplemental transmission fluid additives, treatments or
cleaning agents. The use of these materials may affect transmission
operation and result in damage to internal transmission components.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:12 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Please, send me a picture of your automatic transmission dipstick....the one on my 2011 Mustang is near impossible to locate and check.

+1

I was just going to ask the same. I just went out and searched all over under my hood and only find oil dipstick. Can it be accessed from the engine compartment? A few Google searches also say no dipstick. Please enlighten us. Share the knowledge.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 11:55 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Where did I say it had a dipstick under the hood? Never. The dipstick is located on the side of the transmission and does not go up under the hood. How else would you check it?

I speak from experience here not reading an owners manual or what someone posted on the internet.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:02 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Where did I say it had a dipstick under the hood? Never. The dipstick is located on the side of the transmission and does not go up under the hood. How else would you check it?

I speak from experience here not reading an owners manual or what someone posted on the internet.

Don't be such an ***. I was just asking a simple question if it was located under the hood, because none of us are finding it in the normal spot, which is under the hood. Get off your high horse and treat others with respect.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:10 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
Don't be such an ***. I was just asking a simple question if it was located under the hood, because none of us are finding it in the normal spot, which is under the hood. Get off your high horse and treat others with respect.

It wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. I would have quoted you if it was.

While you may call it my high horse I call vast experience compared to most here. I wouldn't post it if it wasn't true.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It wasn't directed at you.

Well, you were referring to what I said about looking under the hood and not finding it. Why couldn't you just tell us where it is since you know, like driver side, passenger side, need to crawl under car to access since it is not a long stick extending into engine compartment but a short one instead, or whatever the case may be? Some people like to help others out, others just like to insult if they know something you don't. Unfortunately, with our names being so close, on more than one occasion I have caught crap from people because of the way you treated them.

Old 07-22-2014, 01:35 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That would be to easy.
Sounds like a pita who reads the entire boring manual when most of it is common sense. A simple "it's under the car attached to the transmission not accessible from under the hood" is much more acceptable.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-22-2014, 03:23 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

That's the problem with society today. Everyone needs to be spoon feed everything.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:28 PM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Folks with prior ownership of vehicles equipped with an automatic transmission would open the hood, and might "expect" to see a transmission dipstick. I did the first time I went to check the fluids. When I did not find one, then it was off to the owners manual to see why it wasn't there. I don't consider this being spoon fed, but rather educated as to where I might find it, if it exists at all.

No worries. I only asked if you had one because a previous owner perhaps installed one on your Mustang. There are some custom rod shops that sell automatic transmission dip sticks, so I figured perhaps yours had one of these.
I don't do the automatic transmission fluid replacement on my Mustang. When the manufacturers started eliminating the drain plug on the torque converters, they made it difficult to remove all the oil for a complete removal. It is now easier for a shop with a flushing machine to do it.
Old 07-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Way too long to do service. You either "buy in" to the so called lifetime oil that Ford and others claim to use for automatics, or use a more realistic, sometimes called old school method of flushing every 30K.

I opt for the 30K flushes. Doing so insures the transmission gets a complete (98%) fluid change, verses just dropping a pan and changing a filter with about 4 to 5 quarts of oil. That would be like removing only 3 quarts of engine oil when doing an oil change. This may better than nothing, but the full flush at 30K is going to insure a longer logentivity of your automatic. Heat is the number one reason for failure of an automatic transmission, which also breaks down the oil and its additives.
Many folks used to state that a flush can dislodge contaiminants in an automatic. This is not the case with the newer flush devices used at transmission shps. Plus, doing a flush every 30K insures you don't build up any garbage or sludge in the automatic. A flush is going to set you back around $150.00 to $175.00, but worth it.

I've done automatic transmission flushes on my 2005 Ford F150, my Mustang, and my Ford ranger. The F150 is in my sons hands now; it has over 255K without an automatic transmission failuer to date, The Mustang has 61K (it just got it's second automatic transmission flush), and the Ford Ranger has over 214K and is running on its original automatic transmission, without a failuer as well.
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

UI just changed my transmission fluid in my car this morning. Pretty sure its the first time its ever been done in this car lol the magnet was fulla crap but every things cleaned up now, new filter and gasket.. no more burnt fluid
TurboCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Hey whatever makes you feel better do it :thumbup: I changed my wifes trans fluid in her explorer at 120k miles. And now at 160+k miles still going strong.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to KATO
Quote:
It wasn't directed at you or anyone in particular. I would have quoted you if it was.

While you may call it my high horse I call vast experience compared to most here. I wouldn't post it if it wasn't true.
Hey "Grabber Blue5.0", I caught that the First time when you said it was on the Trans. It does suck, that other people don't always understand what they Read. It was Very, very Obvious to me where you were referring to: simply because it is not under the hood, which everyone noticed, the first time they All looked under the Hood.
Old 07-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen some under the hood pics with a dipstick so someone makes a kit or something to install one. I for one when u put my converter in want to be able to keep an eye on the fluid and it's condition.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:42 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrMaster View Post
I've seen some under the hood pics with a dipstick so someone makes a kit or something to install one. I for one when u put my converter in want to be able to keep an eye on the fluid and it's condition.

Agreed. Why Ford decided to not make this an easier job by way of a underhood dipstick is beyond me.

Must be an industry trend. My wifes 2012 BMY does not have an engine oil dipstick; BMW chose to install a sensor instead to inform you via the information center that your oil is low. I guess auto manufacturers think auto owners are getting soft when it comes to performing their own maintenance.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:12 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Does anyone know who makes the kit??
bodon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 09:14 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I wouldn't suggest an aftermarket pan/dipstick. They've ben known to leak.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:41 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Anything like that will leak if not installed correctly. But I have not heard of anyone having issues with leaks besides someone who didn't install a gasket correctly. I think it would be a good mod to go with a converter.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:08 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Performance Automatic makes a dipstick that comes up into the engine compartment for the 2011-14 Mustang. I have one but have not installed it yet. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pma-pa68401

Wayne

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT