2011 Mustang GT hesitation in low gear - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Arizona
2011 Mustang GT hesitation in low gear

Hello,

I am a first generation owner of a Mustang. I traded up to a 2011 GT premium convertible from a Honda Civic that served me well for 12 years.

I bought it used from a private party. It is an automatic. There are some upgrades: Roush suspension and cold air intake, Magna-flow x-pipe and exhaust. There was an SCT-3015 tune, but the previous owner took it out.

Anyway, on to my first question. I have noticed from time to time that there is a hesitation when I accelerate from a rolling stop. For example, I will not come to a complete stop; rather, I will slow down to ~5mph and then accelerate. At this time there is a hesitation and then it accelerates. It is not consistent however. It appears to happen when there is a slight downward slope in the road and I have yet to notice what the RMP is as I am decelerating (maybe that is a data point).

The reason why it concerns me is I know the previous owner had a tune and then removed it because he "did not like the way it drove." I have been reading of reported problems with the 2011 GT transmissions while other posts mention skip shift.

I have a year left on the power train warranty, and I am thinking I should at least take it into Ford to have my complaint documented. Reproducing the "problem" is a bit tricky as I said earlier since it is not consistent.

Any opinions, thoughts, peace of mind suggestions, or STFU noob would be appreciated.
FirstGeneration is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 01:28 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The overwhelming majority of CAIs out there require a tune. It should idle rough and trip a CEL if the CAI requires a tune...

I've only driven auto like 5 times my whole life but what I know about autos is that most hesitate when you press the accelerator especially when coasting down to a stop but not completely like you said (5mph).

At 5mph its still likely in second or whatever gear (just not first) which is going to start off slow then ramp up to speed. And if you floor the peddle to get it to shift to first then there will be a slight hesitation while it shifts to first and then it'll go.

Because of the previous tune your powertrain warranty may be void if the link up to your car.

One thing you can do is datalog your car during idle, regular driving and a couple of WOT and send it off to a shop to check for any issues. Companies will do it for free if you have tunes for life with them. If not they might charge you a fee. Else you can pony up $150 for the tunes for life.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 01:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
FYI: Mustang GT at 5mph fully in gear any gear feels like a slug (ie a Civic lol)
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
2011 mustang