Should I let my car warm up or just a myth? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
I get in and if it's cold as hell outside I'll sit in there and drink my coffee but I live in the city so leaving a nice car with the doors unlocked and the engine running is a recipe for riding a bike to work that morning. Thousands of cars are stolen just like that in DC every year. Lol I'll take a little engine wear if that's what it takes.
Your in DC? I'll be in Fairfax in the middle of August. Just had orientation at GMU last week.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2014, 09:33 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Well, no one is going to warm up the trans sitting idling in the drive, unless you leave it for 30 minutes for some engine heat to creep back to the trans. The only thing that'll deal with trans notchiness is using the trans.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:46 AM   #38
Staff

Regular
Staff

Region: Connecticut
it depends on how late I am.
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 02:16 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
This is like the dumbest question ive heard

Of course you let the car warm up
Why wouldn't You. If you mean till the gauge hits the mid level, Not necessarily.

But at least till the idle throttles down and then wait at least a few mins before you hit it.
Basic car stuff 101

Whats the next question ?
Should i change my oil ~~~

Ya know " This upside down avatar kinna grows on you , lol
TrackPak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:00 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Your in DC? I'll be in Fairfax in the middle of August. Just had orientation at GMU last week.

Actually I am in Ocean City for the summer. Lol I move back to DC in the fall.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SixBanger View Post
Actually I am in Ocean City for the summer. Lol I move back to DC in the fall.
Nice, we'll probably see each other on the road.
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
In earlier times, with single viscosity oil, the oil had to be brought up to temperature slowly due to lack of lubrication while the oil was thick. However, it was best to only allow less than a minute to warm up, because the carburetor would wash the cylinders with raw gas. This would cause long term issues. The normal practice with a sports car was to start it, and when the oil pressure was up and steady, slowly start off while watching the gauges. After the oil had warmed up to operating temp, it was assumed that the transmission and differential were also at operating temp. In fact, it could get cold enough in some areas that if the grease did not warm up enough, suspension joints could break.

With fuel injection, the problems with cylinder washing is no longer an issue, and it is generally safe to leave the engine running for several minutes. It is not necessary to get the engine oil up to temperature with multi-viscosity oils., but being careful to warm up the rest of the car before putting it through any demanding driving is still valid.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 02:50 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Hmmm.....I usually let the idle drop but a couple of minutes later I hit the on-ramp near my house and roll into it in 2nd gear. The car is surely not "warmed up" at this point but I really like my on-ramp fun.
jaymz50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:20 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
As 90% of engine wear is during the first 20 minutes of a cold start I ALWAYS LET IT WARM UP. Keep in mind oil becomes much thicker like syrup when its cold and it takes longer for the oil pump to move it to the top end of the motor, also the rings and bearing are cold and shrink very little, but enough that you should take the extra 2 minutes and let her idle if it's under 40 degrees. Just my op.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 03:25 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear376 View Post
In earlier times, with single viscosity oil, the oil had to be brought up to temperature slowly due to lack of lubrication while the oil was thick. However, it was best to only allow less than a minute to warm up, because the carburetor would wash the cylinders with raw gas. This would cause long term issues. The normal practice with a sports car was to start it, and when the oil pressure was up and steady, slowly start off while watching the gauges. After the oil had warmed up to operating temp, it was assumed that the transmission and differential were also at operating temp. In fact, it could get cold enough in some areas that if the grease did not warm up enough, suspension joints could break.

With fuel injection, the problems with cylinder washing is no longer an issue, and it is generally safe to leave the engine running for several minutes. It is not necessary to get the engine oil up to temperature with multi-viscosity oils., but being careful to warm up the rest of the car before putting it through any demanding driving is still valid.
With newer direct injected motors, belive it or not there haveing the very same issue with washing down the cylinder wlls with raw fuel. Volkswagen has had that problem with there newer tsi motors and during a cold start the computer dumps a absurd amount of fuel in to the cylinders and a good amount of it gets by the rings and contaminates the oil with fuel. No no not with my Ford, I'll keep my port fuel injection.
94gtconvert is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT