Should I let my car warm up or just a myth? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-28-2014, 01:08 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Should I let my car warm up or just a myth?

Is this for older cars only? I always do just incase

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
dannyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I always let mine warm up b4 I take off.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rapinator126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:54 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Just for older cars. Best to start it up and drive off. But go slow/easy until everything is up to temp. Engine/oil temp and trans temp.

SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2014, 03:02 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyv8 View Post
Is this for older cars only? I always do just incase

I let mine run until the idle drops.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:03 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrabberMeBlue View Post
I let mine run until the idle drops.

+1 me too

Sent from your moms couch.
Clink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:06 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Depends on how cold it is. This last chicago winter I'd let her have a good 3-5 minutes before pulling out of the garage. Now that it's summer, I just get in and go.

Regardless, I tend to keep the first 10 minutes of actual driving pretty tame to get all the fluids and brake pads warmed up.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
Should I let my car warm up or just a myth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rynarok View Post
Depends on how cold it is. This last chicago winter I'd let her have a good 3-5 minutes before pulling out of the garage.

I would do the same in the Winter, but mine is hibernating.
GrabberMeBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

When you have a 6 grand in internals your going to let it warm up regardless.

Yes let it warm up. Not just for older cars

Old 06-28-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapinator126 View Post
When you have a 6 grand in internals your going to let it warm up regardless.

Yes let it warm up. Not just for older cars

Thanks rapinator123
I always thought it was safe to let it warm up all the way when first starting it up

dannyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:26 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

when its extremely cold Ill let it warm up, but only to get some heat going, there is no reason to let it warm up otherwise, you should however avoid heavy loads or wot before reaching normal operating temps
scott_0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
It is completely unnecessary to let it reach full water temp before driving off and in fact that isn't warming it up at all. The water will temp up fine but the motor parts aren't loaded and thus aren't rising to operating temp. All that idling just wastes fuel and wears engine slightly harder because of the uneven heating. This isn't the days of exhaust heat activated chokes and fast idle cams.

Let the idle settle and drive moderately, that's the best thing you can do.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:02 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5LHO View Post
It is completely unnecessary to let it reach full water temp before driving off and in fact that isn't warming it up at all. The water will temp up fine but the motor parts aren't loaded and thus aren't rising to operating temp. All that idling just wastes fuel and wears engine slightly harder because of the uneven heating. This isn't the days of exhaust heat activated chokes and fast idle cams.

Let the idle settle and drive moderately, that's the best thing you can do.
Who cares about wasting fuel? When you put 20k in your car you take care of it

Old 06-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

You're argument doesn't hold much water bro, but to each their own.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Who cares about wasting fuel? When you put 20k in your car you take care of it

They gotta save $20K somehow lol

I let my idle set about 30s to a minute then I stay below 2500rpm till its at operational temp. Once the temp rises above 140 then I will start driving normal till its 203 while keeping it below 3000rpm.

I just drive it normal and let the parts get lubed and slowly get to temp.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:44 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post

Sure it does. Let it warm up, to operating temperature. Or cheap out bc your worried about " gas"

Old 06-28-2014, 06:02 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender868 View Post

Hey there's no arguing that his way works too. There's nothing wrong with letting it idle to temp or at least halfway or whatever.

I don't think there's any new test on the effects of warming to temp versus not.

I just think that for most people who don't "let it idle to temp" they may unwittingly stomp on the gas a bit hard or find themselves flooring it to merge with traffic thus harm their cars.

Either way there's just no arguing that the temp should be near operating temp before getting stepped on.
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 06:12 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

My car also will throw a code for o2 sensor stuck rich, if I just start it and go. Without getting to operating temp

Old 06-28-2014, 06:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Your car is a hot rod Rap. Your oil changes and everything else is different than most Coyotes out there.

I like the waiting till the idle drops rule. Quite frankly, I haven't worried about warming the engine since the days of carburetors. In my car, beings that the first number in the weight of the oil is a 5, as in 5W-20, it means that the oil is pretty thin at cold temperatures.
I do have an exception though, I autocross my car and sometimes it will sit for 3 or 4 hours before my group runs. In that case I will let it sit on the grid idling to let it warm up because its going to get beat on for the next 60 seconds or so.
There actually used to be an argument AGAINST letting your engine idle excessively, back in the pushrod days, it was that there wasn't enough oil slinging around to properly lubricate the camshaft.
That's not an issue with the overhead cams though.
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:12 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

It's not an "argument", it's physical reality. I've been inside more engines than most here. This ain't some stromberg carbed flathead here. This is the modern era, with modern materials, lubrication and electronic engine management. Engines haven't needed "warmup" since the last flying toilet bit the dust around 1990.

It's a ludicrous waste of time and money to sit in the drive idling a car up to temp. First of all, it isn't going to get up to temp sitting at idle. The water will, but not the engine, for a hell of a long time. Check the condition of gas engines that see protracted idling, like police and cabs. These engines are often quite nicely ****ered on the inside, whereas engines that are operated normally show little signs of wear.

Get the oil up to temp and moving, get the parts evenly up to temp through moderate load. That's the best recipe for engine longevity. The sooner you are out of "warmup", the better it is for your engine.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
Old 06-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

I know for a fact that unless my temp gauge gets to operating temp. My cat will throw codes for o2 sensors being rich. Every time

Old 06-28-2014, 07:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Your car has that "Coyote on Crack" tune though...
straybullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #22
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Start her up and let her idle. It will be high idling. Once it drops to normal idle then start driving. Don't go nuts until it's warmed all the way up though.

Bullitts are better than Bullets

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 09:02 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Rap, I'm going to have to take 5HLO side on this one because I've been in plenty of engines myself and have seen the results of them in combination with knowing how that person drives or does or does not take care of their car. Your car I imagine is extremely different. Aren't you running E85 too? That's almost double the fuel. lol. i imagine a rich code would come if you rev on cold starts. lol. like opening a gardening hose?

"You might think that's not cricket, and it's not, it's motor racing"

"Finishing second means you are the first person to lose"
gdcracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Justin from VMP told me no hard driving till 165*

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
chefron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 10:33 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Yes I'm on e85. Alot of my post come from personal experience, so sometimes I tend to forget that others are set up different.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:26 AM   #26
Loc: Austin,TX
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Yes I'm on e85. Alot of my post come from personal experience, so sometimes I tend to forget that others are set up different.

This is a very level headed comeback. Others on this forum should take note. It's not always about thinking you are right but about what you can teach or learn from others.

I would say this is a adult thread. Good job guys.
DDTCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 02:17 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I don't own an 11-14 gt, but I find my new edge requires at least 10-15 minute warm up time during the winter months. (Around half way to operating temp) or else my trans is notchy as all hell from 1-2. During the Summer I let it Idle until the RPM's drop, and it doesn't give me any problems. I also take it easy until i get up to operating temp, i try not to take it above 3k rpm.

PonyBoyV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 08:38 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I usually let mine warm up for about 30 seconds, or until the idle drops to regular, that's not in winter. In winter, my parents would start it and end up letting it idle for 10 minutes...
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:12 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Let's just head back to the OP's question and see what clarity emerges from answering that. It isn't about the 1% that have extremely tuned cars and there's no doubt those will need different treatment. Totally no problem with that but, that wasn't what was asked.

The OP asked if he needed to warm up what is most likely his STOCK Mustang, since he mentions no mods and hasn't been around here long. Not E85, not crazy tune, not cammed to the moon, not 15:1 compression, not 10,000 lb/hr injectors, not a cold start off the block heater in Yellowknife in winter.

The answer to that is no.

I added that I have seen inside engines that have been excessively idled and they can be quite a mess. Here's what that looks like: heavy carbon deposits, internal corrosion and bearing damage from condensate in the oil, clogged injectors, buggered cooling systems, etc.

Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, why not take the 30 seconds for her to warm up if it can prolong the life of your engine? If it doesn't oh well it's only 30 seconds
Old 06-29-2014, 01:34 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I let the idle drop down to normal then I drive off but go light on the throttle until it warms up to operating temperature.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2
Old 06-29-2014, 09:20 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

We aren't talking about 30 seconds here. We are talking about people warming up the engine to full water temp. That's going to take several minutes. You aren't "prolonging the life of your engine" by waiting 30 seconds here, nor are you deteriorating it.

Old 06-29-2014, 10:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

I agree. If you're going to make a statement that letting it warm up to a certain temperature prolongs the life of the engine, you have to back that up with more than just "I've owned cars for 30 years and none of them blew up". By that same logic, some members can claim that they've driven cars without warming them up and enjoyed the same reliability from their cars. I do the same as most of you guys. I would let it warm up more in winter, but most of the time it was so that I could enjoy heat. I've driven cars who's transmissions felt sticky at low temperature in winter, but otherwise I'd say it varies from one car to another. Past letting the idle settle down and cold weather precautionary warming up, I see no distinct relationship between warming up an engine and engine failure. I'm talking about regular slow speed driving here. Not from cold start to racing; where I agree that improperly warmed internals and liquids may cause an engine under considerable stress to fail.

Fender868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 03:00 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I just made it a habit of before leaving the house I turn it on while I get ready. Usually 10-15 mins lol, so I guess I'm just wasting gas letting it idle that long but oh well at least I can be sure that its warmed up pretty good.
Red5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 07:11 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I get in and if it's cold as hell outside I'll sit in there and drink my coffee but I live in the city so leaving a nice car with the doors unlocked and the engine running is a recipe for riding a bike to work that morning. Thousands of cars are stolen just like that in DC every year. Lol I'll take a little engine wear if that's what it takes.
2014 V6 Base Coupe, Sterling Gray Metallic///3.31 Gears///FP6 Appearance Package///Tech. Package///Reverse Sensing and Security Package///Mods: Boss 302 grille, MMD Ducktail Spoiler, Weathertech Floor Mats, Bassani Axle-Back Exhaust
SixBanger is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT