Preferred oil - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 06-30-2014, 11:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Preferred oil

Does anyone have any rec's on what type, weight, and brand of oil to use on a 2014 GT track pack? I don't want to pay for full synthetic if it's not a must but will if that's what I need..... I just traded my 2013 baseline GT for a 2014 track pack. I used synthetic blend motor craft oil on my old car but plan on running this one harder. I don't mean taking it to the drag strip every weekend, but it does have 3.73 gears so I will be having more fun in it I'm sure. so just looking for some recommendations. Thanks to anyone who has some good info.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Cdgardner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I dont know if Unleashed Beast is on this forum, but this is basically a "synopsis" from his Used Oil Analysis thread on SVTp:

Use this list. You need Amsoil ATM 10W-30, assuming you are not performing 20-30 minute road course sessions.

This recommendation list will cover all seasons for your car, from the harshest winter days, to the hottest summer days. The best part is, the oil only has to be changed once a year, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first. *RD30 must be changed every 6 months or 5,000 miles*

8 quart fill – GT
8.5 quart fill – Boss 302 and Track Pack GT

Amsoil ALM 5W-20 – If your car is 100% stock, never raced, driven like a grandma, or short trip driven, no matter the climate….use this.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30 - If your car is driven year round up north in very cold temperatures with bolt on mods, raced during the summer, and you want one oil for year round use....use this.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30 - If your car is moderate to heavily modded, used in hotter climate states, or never driven during winter months in northern states...use this. *If you always short trip the car, use Amsoil AZO or ALM instead (never get the oil up to full temperature)*

Amsoil AMO 10W-40 - If you have a Boss 302 or Track Pack GT, and you road race your car....use this.

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners - If you do not road race your car, use Amsoil ATM 10W-30. 5W-50 spec for this engine is overkill and results in excessive oil pressure.*

Amsoil RD30 10W-30 - If your car is modded to the max and producing HP beyond 600 rwhp, especially E85 fuel engines...use this.

Amsoil EaO17 - This oil filter outperforms any filter on the market.

Amsoil Synchromesh - requires 3 quarts. Use this if you road race your car, or you are experiencing grinding.

If you have the Auto 6 speed, this stuff will survive the worst torture.

Amsoil LV Synthetic ATF - 12 quart total fill

and for the rear differential

Amsoil 75W-140 - requires 3 quarts

Don't forget the friction modifier

Amsoil Slip Lock - use all four ounces

*Boss 302 and Track Pack GT owners. If you have the Torsen differential in your car, do not use friction modifier.*

I myself have been using redline up to this point, but will be making the switch to amsoil to cover my upcoming track weekend. $100 oil changes are not for everyone, but i'm very OCD about my effeciency mods... and $100 oil change, even over the life of the car, is cheaper than an $8000 engine.
Voltwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
If you're going to drag race the car only, the 5W20 or 5W50 MC oil is just fine. We're talking WOT blasts for 12 seconds here, not road course lap after lap. MC 5W20 or 5W50 is already a synthetic blend anyway.

I have fired 100+ passes down the strip on 5W20 MC oil, 11 sec range. Engine seems happy and oil comes out every 8000 kilometers or so looking pretty relaxed and unbeat.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 12:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I would recommend flipping through this. Maybe i have higher standards because i race, and live in the south with tripple digit summers, but the motocraft oil is basically water in any type of harsh condition as far as im concerned.

Official GT 5.0/Boss 302 UOA thread
Old 07-01-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Thanks for this; I understand your views. However, since there is no ability to control for the variability of use and environmental conditions experienced by the vehicles in the test, It's pretty hard to make direct comparisons. You can see a lot of variability in the results indicated.

MC oil did have to pass the manufacturer's durability standards and was in these engines for all the durability tests performed. I'm not saying you can't find better oil but, it did survive testing that no aftermarket manufacturer has to put their own oil through in these engines.

2012 Premium GT, Candy Red, Brembo package, 3.73, MT82, Comfort, Tech, et al. Procal tune, Roush UCA, UMI poly LCA, GT500s, Steeda red bracket, Hoosier 28x10x16 bias drags. Best e/t 11.91 at 115.23 RIP
5LHO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Motorcraft is adequate at best. Pay attention to that report.

I also use Amsoil 10w-30.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
How does Mobil 1 rack up compared to everything? Just curious because that's what I've been using

mattk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:01 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
What is the reason for using 10W? Isn't that more wear on cold starts?
noldevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 10:12 PM   #9

Region: Georgia
Since Track Pack cars specify 5W-50 oil I do wonder how using anything but that impacts warranty claims down the road? I totally get that other oils prove better (I.e. Amsoil 10W-30), however logic tells me if you should be unfortunate to have engine trouble that should be covered by warranty and cannot prove you used the factory required oil then Ford may deny claims. Some of us are not modding our cars and would like to rely on the warranty to protect against the unfortunate.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Mustang Evolution mobile app
jrapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 04:45 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattk08 View Post
How does Mobil 1 rack up compared to everything? Just curious because that's what I've been using
Mobil 1 changed their formula years ago and it's no longer a true synthetic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noldevin View Post
What is the reason for using 10W? Isn't that more wear on cold starts?
The reason is it protects better all around. Read the thread.
2011 GT Premium 401A Grabber Blue Sold
Grabber Blue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 05:29 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrapo View Post
Since Track Pack cars specify 5W-50 oil I do wonder how using anything but that impacts warranty claims down the road? I totally get that other oils prove better (I.e. Amsoil 10W-30), however logic tells me if you should be unfortunate to have engine trouble that should be covered by warranty and cannot prove you used the factory required oil then Ford may deny claims. Some of us are not modding our cars and would like to rely on the warranty to protect against the unfortunate.

5w oils are not available in some countries that Ford sells vehicles in; for this, they recommend the 10w oils in the same engines, so warranty would not be an issue.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:40 AM   #12

Region: Georgia
I'd love to get that in writing from Ford so I can start using the best oil and viscosity possible which clearly isn't MC 5w-50!

jrapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 09:41 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Amsoil or Royal Purple 10w30.

Whiteline
Ford Racing
Steeda
Hurst
Boss
Mtx
Hotchkis
Roush
BAMA
Spohn
HPFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:10 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Couldn't help myself, but apparently the Safeway Special works in these cars:

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrapo View Post
I'd love to get that in writing from Ford so I can start using the best oil and viscosity possible which clearly isn't MC 5w-50!

Ford cannot deny warranty for oil if you have UOA's showing what you use is better than OEM. I'm sure thats a hard arguement to win, but "technically," they cant deny it.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #16
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I've been involved in Lubricant testing for 26 years, the 5W-20 will be more than adequate for any application other than maybe circle track racing, as long as it is a licensed GF-5 quality oil. Other vis grades maybe ok, but if you blow it up using a fully formulated, GF-5 quality oil, Ford will warrant it. And yes 5W-20's look like water and pour like water and will get up to pressure as quick, if not quicker than anything else you will put in it. In addition its highly likely that it is a Group III basestock or better, and is more than likely a partial synthetic. So, using the factory recommended oil in the recommended vis grade will not cause you any problems.
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #17
REG
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Define better than OEM, the only acceptable credential for an oil is the API License, if it doesn't say Exceeds API SN/SM ILSAC GF-5, than it can be PROVEN to be EQUAL to OEM. Just cause somebody says its better, they better have data to support it. If it has those words on the bottle, you can better there is several hundred thousand dollars worth of testing to support it and I can guarantee motorcraft does, as I know the individual that approves what is purchased by Ford for Factory fill and Motorcraft usage and he's pretty finicky about what is brought to him.,
REG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

I get my oil changed at the Ford Dealership. I use their recommended synthetic blend.
Old 07-03-2014, 03:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

basically after researching what oil I should be using. It seems with some light tracking Mobil 1 EP will work fine if changed every 5k miles
mattk08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by REG View Post
Define better than OEM, the only acceptable credential for an oil is the API License, if it doesn't say Exceeds API SN/SM ILSAC GF-5, than it can be PROVEN to be EQUAL to OEM. Just cause somebody says its better, they better have data to support it. If it has those words on the bottle, you can better there is several hundred thousand dollars worth of testing to support it and I can guarantee motorcraft does, as I know the individual that approves what is purchased by Ford for Factory fill and Motorcraft usage and he's pretty finicky about what is brought to him.,
Do you know what a UOA is? Used oil analysis? It shows the wear items, sheer metals, silicates, basically how well your oil is protecting your motor by measuring the amount of your motor thats ending up in your oil. Read here:

Blackstone Labs

If the oil tested has better sheer and wear protection, retains its viscosity better, handles temperature better, then by definition it IS better. Not just because someone said so.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:27 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
My oil fill cap says 5w-50 full synthetic recommended so I'm just going to make sure to buy a premium oil and run what it says. Plus being down south where it rarely gets extremely cold that's probably the weight of oil I want to run.

Cdgardner1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT