Exhaust Options/Opinions/Questions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Question Exhaust Options/Opinions/Questions

Hey Guys,

Just a few questions and looking for suggestions.

I installed the pypes catback kit on my car about 2 months ago. It has good volume, but i just dont really like the raspy style of tone. I got it because of the good reviews, it is build solid and went in easy.

Pypes Mustang Pype-Bomb Super System Catback Exhaust SFM76M (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

I am thinking about pulling it off and selling it. But my big question is... what to put on next?

I was thinking about getting an exhaust shop to just build me new exhaust from the cat-back. My idea was to run like 3" tube all the way back with straight pipe to maybe (2) flowmaster super 10 series mufflers.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/flo-843015

I want to achieve the same volume as i have now (or louder) and just have that deep rumble with the smoothness of mufflers. Does anyone think this is a good idea? Or does anyone know anyone with a 5.0 that has done this? I just want to make sure i do it right this time and get what im looking for.

I also imagine this would be cheaper than the 500+ dollar range if im just having a shop build the kit with normal tubing (not stainless). (Just a guess - or if its around 500 i wouldnt mind either)

Thanks for the help!

Destrominator is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 07:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If you don't want raspy go o/r h pipe and gt500 axle back
Mustang32Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 09:12 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
^^^ Don't get the drone-masters. I think you get the best sound and drive-ability from Off Road X or H pipe, with 3" over axle pipes, (no resonators) to a GT500 or better yet, GT500quad exhaust. Zero drone, low and mean sounding cruising, but at WOT and it is like a lion roaring in the jungle.
2013 GT : 6sp MT, Track Pkg, 3.73 Rear End, Brembo Brakes, Vortech V3 SC, Boss IM, BBK 90mm TB, JLT CAI, ID1000 injectors, BAP, Brisk Plugs, Tial BOV, Lethal OR X Pipe, 3" over axle to GT500 Quad Exhaust, Dynotech Alum DS, MGW Shifter, Eibach R2 Coil Overs, Bob's Billet LCA's, UPR adj. UCA, Eibach Adj PH Bar, TruCarbon Carbon Fiber inside/out. Tuned by Jon Lund II Three salvaged Bosses worth of Parts live on in this car. 705.11rwhp 5.33pulley/Torque Booster Wastegate
Deerslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
just bought gt500 axle back latemodelrestoration.com 280 shipped

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerslayer View Post
^^^ Don't get the drone-masters. I think you get the best sound and drive-ability from Off Road X or H pipe, with 3" over axle pipes, (no resonators) to a GT500 or better yet, GT500quad exhaust. Zero drone, low and mean sounding cruising, but at WOT and it is like a lion roaring in the jungle.
Yea my car has a terrible drone around 2000rpm right now...

Just to clarify a H-pipe or X-pipe do those create more drone?

(and i live in CA so i need it to be catted)

Old 07-01-2014, 12:20 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

So i would want to throw something like this on?

Pypes Mustang Off-Road H-Pipe HFM24 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

(I was reading that the H-Pipes make a deeper rumble rather than the X-Pipes make a more raspy sound)

Old 07-01-2014, 04:16 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by pss3286 View Post
just bought gt500 axle back latemodelrestoration.com 280 shipped

I almost did this last night, except for the "out of stock" part.

This is so awesome we finally got an exhaust thread started here. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for information.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
"I'm not new to driving. I've been doing it for a couple of years now." - Aphex
Compstall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 04:41 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destrominator View Post
So i would want to throw something like this on?

Pypes Mustang Off-Road H-Pipe HFM24 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

(I was reading that the H-Pipes make a deeper rumble rather than the X-Pipes make a more raspy sound)
Anything off road deletes cats
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:16 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangz View Post
Anything off road deletes cats
well in the Q&A section of the product it says you can just leave out the "cat-delete" section of the tubing and just run it with cats.

Old 07-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compstall View Post
This is so awesome we finally got an exhaust thread started here. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for information.

fwiw I love my outlaws, and I'll like em more when I go offroad H later this summer. Operation Rolling Thunder part 3? I THINK SO.
Marcie; Black 2013 GT. MT82, .373, track + brembo, JLT CF CAI, Boss Manifold, MGW StS, Blowfish Trans Bracket & Driveshaft Loop, Whiteline trans bushing, RP motor & tranny oils, Flowmaster Outlaws, BMR UCA w/ mount, LCA w/ relo brackets, panhard, SR springs, KONI oranges, J&M CC plates, staggered leguna secas, MT street comps
***A good driver is the best method to get more performance out of any car. ***
AXLEBACKS THREADS =
Rynarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 02:02 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Just installed my gt500 axle back exhaust. Perfect for me. I love the way they sound.

pss3286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Has anyone used this kit?

Heartthrob Mustang Straight Pipe Cat-to-Axle H-Pipe Kit 1029060 (11-14 GT) - Free Shipping

It has mixed reviews.... im thinking about running this kit with either roush axle backs or GT500 axle backs...

or maybe having some flowmaster 10 series put in for the axle back section... still wondering if anyone has used those... ill keep looking! haha

Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I've considered them, but heard fitment is a PITA
2013 GT Premium, Red Candy Metallic, Recaro seats, Electronic package, Strut tower brace, Sway bars, SHR flush mounted window louvers, RTR street-spec axleback exhaust, Ford Racing Boss 302 Side Exhaust, RTR wheels, 50/35% Window tint, Steeda black shorty antenna, and Ford OE Matte Hood Vents.
mustangz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:22 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
The flowmaster 10s sound wicked on a mustang. Well they did on my 10' model 4.6. Idk about the coyote. But if they made it in a bolt on I'd get em(which they don't)
WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #15

Region: Indiana
I switched out my roush for magnaflow and now I have that deep muscle car rumble.

bladenw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Sounds wayyyyyy better w the magnaflow

WhiteCali5oh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 01:37 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Ive heard a few people with the borla s type and they sound so amazing
In my opinion they are on of the top three best sounding exhausts 👍

mark_ash0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:49 AM   #18

Region: Florida
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back on my 2012 5.0 CS, it sounds amazing, just like the old muscle cars. I also recently installed the Borla axle back mufflers on our 2014 V6 Premium, they sound great on the V6, deep without any rasp. I think it is a matter of preference, there are a lot of good choices out there..
MadBeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quit using "amazing" as a descriptive word. It's been so overused people are numb to it. It doesn't have the same impact it used to. Nowadays its impact level is the same as "ok" at best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 07-05-2014, 04:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Not to be an ***
But if you say that girl is "ok"
It would be a big difference if you said that girl is "amazing"
Also if you had a baby and somebody talked about it and would say ohh his baby is ok it wouldnt sound as nice as saying his baby is amazing
And yeah maybe many people use the word amazing a lot but thats because mustangs are amazing not just "ok"

Old 07-05-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_ash0426 View Post
Not to be an ***
Also if you had a baby and somebody talked about it and would say ohh his baby is ok it wouldnt sound as nice as saying his baby is amazing
And yeah maybe many people use the word amazing a lot but thats because mustangs are amazing not just "ok"

I think part of it to is If I say that girl is amazing you might think she is ok or even ugly. Opposed if I said that girls 5'7', skinny, blonde, etc. you have a better idea if you think she's hot or not.

Exhaust is the same way. It's hard to describe exhaust without hearing it using adjectives like that "amazing" because what does that really mean?. When you say words like loud, deep, quiet, raspy, popping, etc it's easier to judge what it will sound like and if others will like it.

StarzTA17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 08:54 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exhaust Options/Opinions/Questions

Quote:
Not to be an ***

You don't necessarily have to use "ok" either. For example...

That exhaust sounds:
Bad ***.
Great.
Cool.
The best.
Damn good.
Aurally orgasmic.
So good it'll rumble the panties off a girl
DallasStang77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarzTA17 View Post
I think part of it to is If I say that girl is amazing you might think she is ok or even ugly. Opposed if I said that girls 5'7', skinny, blonde, etc. you have a better idea if you think she's hot or not.

Exhaust is the same way. It's hard to describe exhaust without hearing it using adjectives like that "amazing" because what does that really mean?. When you say words like loud, deep, quiet, raspy, popping, etc it's easier to judge what it will sound like and if others will like it.

What i was trying to mostly show is that theres a big difference between ok and amazing and that theres a reason that their two different words

Old 07-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

That's it then, the top shelf word "amazing" has officially been used up on the 2011-2014 Mustang. NO other Mustang in the history of mankind will ever sound "amazing".

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 07-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBeach View Post
I have the Flowmaster American Thunder cat back on my 2012 5.0 CS, it sounds amazing, just like the old muscle cars. I also recently installed the Borla axle back mufflers on our 2014 V6 Premium, they sound great on the V6, deep without any rasp. I think it is a matter of preference, there are a lot of good choices out there..

Yea i have seen quite a few people that are very satisfied with the American thunder kit.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wyoming
My thunders sounded horrible with my cat deletes like a tin can above 3 grand with ridiculous drone at low rpms before the deletes they sounded fine i just said o well rather have the performance from the deletes so just swapped to the roush and I can't complain definitely make the car more of a headturner from the sound alone I have the resonators and stock mid pipe for now till I get my long tubes
r_neck7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 07:26 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_neck7 View Post
My thunders sounded horrible with my cat deletes like a tin can above 3 grand with ridiculous drone at low rpms before the deletes they sounded fine i just said o well rather have the performance from the deletes so just swapped to the roush and I can't complain definitely make the car more of a headturner from the sound alone I have the resonators and stock mid pipe for now till I get my long tubes
ill keep it in mind! thanks!

Old 07-08-2014, 07:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ive heard a few people with the borla s type and they sound so amazing
In my opinion they are on of the top three best sounding exhausts 👍

after watching this video i think the Atak sounds pretty awesome....

Mustang GT/ Boss 302 2013-2014 Cat-Back Exhaust ATAK part # 140516

Old 08-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

So just in case anyone wanted to know what i ended up deciding on, or if you dont give a crap, im going to tell you anyway.

First im going to throw in my pypes off-road H pipe i got from AM (only goin to run the h-pipe and not the cat deletes... cause i live in communist CA).

I figured that the cheapest and easiest way to get the sound i want (running me an extra $250 or so) will be to just take out the pypes mufflers, and ill weld in straight 3" in their place (already have). Then im goin to cut off the tips in the back towards the axle and put in 2 flowmaster 10 series (69.99 a piece on summit or amazon) in there. and just to add the look im goin for i am going to throw in 2 angled black 5" tips to match the angle of the bumper (never liked how the pypes tips stick out a few inches out the back).

Should have all of this done by the end of this weekend. with pics and a vid of the sound.

Old 08-21-2014, 11:03 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Good luck and I'll be looking forward to hearing the setup

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Rufeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 03:16 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I have roush axle backs on right now, but i plan on taking the cats of next year. Roush axle backs sound terrible with an o/r x pipe. just fyi
sadler88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:02 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1409871638.349485.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	822.2 KB
ID:	165190Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1409871665.827024.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	801.3 KB
ID:	165191Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMustang Evolution1409871701.449307.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	802.5 KB
ID:	165192

So i finished it up... ill post a video soon with a sound clip...

It got quite a bit more throaty and deeper, still a drone around 2k and got a little rasp when you get it up around 5k.
Over all im pretty stoked on it. I definitely like the black tips out the back that i put on better than the stainless sticking out 2" as the pypes kit did before.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust